Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He worked for his Dad's bank for a while and gave out a bunch of lovely loans that ultimately led to its insolvency. Seems like a rich kid who just keeps failing up.

Maybe he can campaign on "taking down banks!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I don't see any progressives here, just a list of machine hacks.

https://www.alexiforus.com/endorsements

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
He's so handsome, why are you questioning his bona fides?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

U.S. Barryl posted:

He's so handsome, why are you questioning his bona fides?

He looks like a Property Brother got left out in the sun for a few days

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Niwrad posted:

He worked for his Dad's bank for a while and gave out a bunch of lovely loans that ultimately led to its insolvency. Seems like a rich kid who just keeps failing up.

Maybe he can campaign on "taking down banks!".

This is all I remember of him. I'll vote for basically anyone over him in the primary.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The X-man cometh posted:

I don't see any progressives here, just a list of machine hacks.

https://www.alexiforus.com/endorsements

He got Chuy, Schakowsky, and Our Revolution!

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Wait, what is he running for?

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

DTaeKim posted:

Wait, what is he running for?

Secretary of State.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Speaking of Secretary of state some guy who lost to Mark Kirk (Giannoulias) is on local FOX and the host is hinting at some scandal with broadway bank but he refuses to say what. It's like a peewee word of the day where the annoucer can't say what the scandal was.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Looks like we hit an all time high in COVID cases yesterday. We did it everyone!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bird in a Blender posted:

Looks like we hit an all time high in COVID cases yesterday. We did it everyone!

Chicago, the USA, or the world? :v:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I meant the state actually. It looks like Chicago didn’t quite break their single day high yet, but I’m sure it’ll happen soon.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bird in a Blender posted:

I meant the state actually. It looks like Chicago didn’t quite break their single day high yet, but I’m sure it’ll happen soon.

Dang, I guess Chicago can't claim to be carrying the state anymore :v:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Freedom of religion is part of politics, right?
https://twitter.com/justinlfowler/status/1473019636493033475

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

“American society for the defense…of property.”

Seems a little too on the nose of what “tradition” and “family” truly means.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Piell posted:

Freedom of religion is part of politics, right?
https://twitter.com/justinlfowler/status/1473019636493033475
If they are putting up a Bahpomet statue they should put up a Yeenoghu one.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I like how it's a picture of a crying Jesus next to their "Satan has no rights" banner.
It's Jesus Satan,?
It's he crying over Satan?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

New state laws that kick in on Jan. 1, including banning utility cancellation fees for dead people, lowering the cost of med-weed paperwork, and joining California in banning the use of standardized testing as criteria for public-college admissions.

Comprehensive list here.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Also, IDPH is now set up for Smart Card vaccination cards so you can add your vaccination card to your phone.

https://dph.illinois.gov/resource-center/news/2021/december/illinois-vax-verify-system-now-offers-smart--health-card-vaccina.html

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

New state laws that kick in on Jan. 1, including banning utility cancellation fees for dead people, lowering the cost of med-weed paperwork, and joining California in banning the use of standardized testing as criteria for public-college admissions.

Comprehensive list here.

not a huge standardized testing fan but even less of an "essays and extracurriculars" fan

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Isn't cash bail supposed to end, too?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

not a huge standardized testing fan but even less of an "essays and extracurriculars" fan

This was probably done to help white kids who don't test well but can use their contacts to get great recommendations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

yeah gently caress extracurricular activites, let kids just exist, they'll have to sacrifice their free time on the altar of capitalism soon enough.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I know a guy who is taking his high school freshman son to baseball tryouts (he always mentions that it is invites only but never mentions how these orgs even know his son exists) all over the country.

What good is having a kid if you cannot use extra curricular activities to live vicariously through?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I know a guy who is taking his high school freshman son to baseball tryouts (he always mentions that it is invites only but never mentions how these orgs even know his son exists) all over the country.

What good is having a kid if you cannot use extra curricular activities to live vicariously through?

Youth sports is a huge industry now, and it's mostly a way for upper-middle class parents to more or less buy their way into college scholarships. They can afford to pay thousands of dollars every year for specialized coaches, travel leagues, and year round playing that boosts their chances of getting a scholarship somewhere, even if it's like DII. It's insane how much money has poured into youth leagues over the last 10-20 years.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I don't have a problem with the concept of extracurricular activities, I just mean I don't see how there's any way an admissions system that relies on that stuff is going to be more fair than one that relies on test scores

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Wouldn't it be easier to put all that money into a college fund? How many full scholarships are available?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I think it’s really a combo of scholarship and living through their kid, hoping they can turn them into a superstar.

A good example of this is Alabama’s current QB. His dad got him a QB coach starting at age 5, and had personal coaches through middle and high school. Now he’s playing for a national championship.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
A whole generation of Todd Marinovic

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm glad I was able to rely entirely on my ACT to get into U of I. Extra circulars are for suckers.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
We're going to lose all of awkward antisocial nerds to Michigan

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The X-man cometh posted:

We're going to lose all of awkward antisocial nerds to Michigan

U Chicago still exists.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Hey, here's something loving disgusting:

https://www.wgem.com/2022/01/12/judges-reversal-criminal-sexual-assault-case-draws-ire/

quote:

The decision by Adams County Judge Robert Adrian to reverse his own conviction of a man accused in the criminal sexual assault of a Quincy girl has ignited a firestorm of criticism.

Speaking out for the first time Tuesday, 16-year-old Cameron Vaughan said 18-year-old Drew Clinton sexually assaulted her at a graduation party on May 30.

“I woke up at my friend’s place with a pillow over my face so I couldn’t be heard and Drew Clinton inside of me,” she said. “I asked him to stop multiple times and he wouldn’t. I finally got off the couch and pushed him off of me and he jumped up and just started playing video games as if nothing had happened.”

During a bench trial in October, Adrian convicted Clinton of one count of criminal sexual assault.

At a sentencing last week, however, Adrian reversed himself following a pair of motions by Clinton’s attorney, saying that a mandatory minimum sentence imposed by state statute would be inappropriate.

According to transcripts from the hearing obtained by our news-gathering partners at the Herald-Whig, Adrian said that the time Clinton had served in the Adams County Jail was enough.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Illinois State Museum is having a Gen X exhibit and is looking for contributions. I might donate my AD&D 2ed Player's Handbook. https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/museum-exhibit-illinois-recreate-gen-005851463.html

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The story of my AD&D 2nd edition is it ended up in a dump. When I went away to college my mom put my stuff in storage, and when I came home curiously those books were the only thing missing. :iiam:

The satanic panic got to her I guess.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Illinois has record covid hospitalizations & ICU usage greater than the first two rounds. From the Trib tracker today:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lammasu posted:

Illinois State Museum is having a Gen X exhibit and is looking for contributions. I might donate my AD&D 2ed Player's Handbook. https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/museum-exhibit-illinois-recreate-gen-005851463.html
That reminds me. I was supposed to donate my copy of Mythus for a GDW exhibit in Bloomington... Oops.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Does Illinois go ahead with a “vaccine mandate for all workers in businesses with X number of employees” now that the SC nixed the OHSA one?

SC arguments actually led to the promotion that states have the right to do this but the feds do not.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Wasn't the scotus ruling predicated on OSHA issuing the emergency order? It said that CMS could issue the mandate to healthcare facilities receiving federal funding.

If so, that wouldn't preclude the IL lege from passing a mandate, and JB would certainly sign it into law, or maybe IDPH could issue an executive order, if it hasn't already done so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Yeah, it said that OHSA cannot put out a rule like that but, during arguments, Thomas actually led a line of Qs to a state AG setting up that states have the ability to do that and that conservative AG agreed.

I think it was predicated on the state legislature pushing it (which is a big LOL on Illinois GA doing anything on COVID) but it was definitely discussed.