Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

McNugget Buddy posted:

Army vaccine hasn't even started Phase 2 trials, Novavax put out sketchy data the other day with their EUA submission

oh wonderful. thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I love it

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008
Reporting in from the national hotspot of suburban Cleveland. Despite being a nominally liberal area, I am seeing really low mask usage in crowded stores and restaurants. I don't walk into town without my N95 on, and it just makes me want to scream at them "does 800,000 dead Americans mean nothing to you?". This area is like a twisted meeting of the Maga and the lib brunch crowds, so I see little reason to hope...

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

all the local number counters taking the holiday weekend off is going to lead to monday and tuesday being pretty amazing

good time to invest in number

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Griffen posted:

Reporting in from the national hotspot of suburban Cleveland. Despite being a nominally liberal area, I am seeing really low mask usage in crowded stores and restaurants. I don't walk into town without my N95 on, and it just makes me want to scream at them "does 800,000 dead Americans mean nothing to you?". This area is like a twisted meeting of the Maga and the lib brunch crowds, so I see little reason to hope...

liberals are death cultists, i hope that helps

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

even if he does they won't say anything, and he's probably being prophylactictally pumped full of regeneron and plasma daily

when he inevitably dies in office it’ll be from Covid, but they’ll get the death certificate fixed up so we’ll never know

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Griffen posted:

yeah don't ask that question, the answers will make you crack ping

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Griffen posted:

Dude within like 3 days most libs started saying it's just a cold and I'm like... wait where have we heard this one before guys! It happened within days, that's how loving powerful brain worms are apparently. I'm dumb too but somehow the whole "don't die" thing is very strong within me and also have a small issue with people saying "those people can just die" and that's somehow, that's somehow just okay too now to say outloud.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

McNugget Buddy posted:

https://twitter.com/GovKathyHochul/status/1474474985385345031

lol look at all those rising (checks notes) Delta hospitalizations!

I’m the tail

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

A cspam inverse nft has appeared!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Griffen posted:

:same: but Cincinnati, hth

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McNugget Buddy posted:

shouldn't that say "were ny"

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Denial is just their way of dealing with the trauma you see so don't worry too much about the death cult stuff lmao I'm sure that will just clear up if we also do nothing in response.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m currently hiding in my spare bedroom because my aunt said “oh it’s just a dry cough” when she had a coughing fit at Christmas #1

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

McNugget Buddy posted:

69, nice.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

I’m currently hiding in my spare bedroom because my aunt said “oh it’s just a dry cough” when she had a coughing fit at Christmas #1

you may as well not if it helps. by the time you are symptomatic (if ever) you've already breathed on people a whole lot more before then.

unless you've not spoken to your aunt except through a closed compartment like across a pane of glass, you're already on mr. biden's mild ride.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Quick pro tip for goons trying to avoid omicron: stop letting people with covid in your goddamn house

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

oglethorpe2020
May 23, 2020

tux liberation front

cr0y posted:

You generally won't feel blood clots or strokes or aneurysms until the moment they kill you.

thank gently caress

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Shear Modulus posted:

i was going to ask if you were seriously asking this because how could anyone still be unconvinced after two years that americans will be shoveled into the coal furnace indefinitely to keep the train of The Economy running but then i saw it was cato wife guy and i was like oh yeah lol that makes sensesense

lol fair.

It really just doesn’t make sense to me. America has been willing to endure the equivalent of Axis losses at Stalingrad or both sides combined at Verdun for… what? I don’t understand a society that shuns collective sacrifice but then, as you said, is willing to do all this for Applebees.

You could ask a Poilu why he was holding on to his shellhole in Verdun. Whatever you believe about it, there was a feeling that the French Third Republic warranted the cost in human life. Trading lives for meters of French soil - even at an appalling rate - had a logic to the people ordering the sacrifice, those taking part in it, and those at home. The morale of the French Army and public was resolute, even at the height of the fighting at Verdun, and only started to buckle in 1917 when asked to make costly and unsuccessful attacks after being promised decisive victory by Nivelle.

In short - no price is too high for the right cause, but the same sacrifices can’t be asked to achieve nothing. If people feel ably led, they’ll go into the maelstrom, if they don’t, they’ll stay in their trench.

So - what about the economy is worth 800k American lives? Not just to those demanding it, but to those dying for it and others watching. When you see those kind of losses, you have to ask why. It’s easy enough to see why those who benefit the most are content to demand others die to uphold the social order, but I’m struggling to see what the economy offers the people being told to go boldly forth.

What do they think they’re dying for?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

oglethorpe2020 posted:

thank gently caress

fyi a common symptom of an aneurysm bursting (or coming close) is "a sense of impending doom"

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Rhesus Pieces posted:

fyi a common symptom of an aneurysm bursting (or coming close) is "a sense of impending doom"

ah ok, if there’s no new posts ITT tomorrow I’ll know why

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frosted Flake posted:

The Greatest Nation in History®

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Frosted Flake posted:

lol fair.

It really just doesn’t make sense to me. America has been willing to endure the equivalent of Axis losses at Stalingrad or both sides combined at Verdun for… what? I don’t understand a society that shuns collective sacrifice but then, as you said, is willing to do all this for Applebees.

You could ask a Poilu why he was holding on to his shellhole in Verdun. Whatever you believe about it, there was a feeling that the French Third Republic warranted the cost in human life. Trading lives for meters of French soil - even at an appalling rate - had a logic to the people ordering the sacrifice, those taking part in it, and those at home. The morale of the French Army and public was resolute, even at the height of the fighting at Verdun, and only started to buckle in 1917 when asked to make costly and unsuccessful attacks after being promised decisive victory by Nivelle.

In short - no price is too high for the right cause, but the same sacrifices can’t be asked to achieve nothing. If people feel ably led, they’ll go into the maelstrom, if they don’t, they’ll stay in their trench.

So - what about the economy is worth 800k American lives? Not just to those demanding it, but to those dying for it and others watching. When you see those kind of losses, you have to ask why. It’s easy enough to see why those who benefit the most are content to demand others die to uphold the social order, but I’m struggling to see what the economy offers the people being told to go boldly forth.

Because we've been conditioned for at least the last 40 years, that if Number is good, America is good.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
dying (safely)

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all kinds of poo poo can cause clots and strokes. it's generally best to avoid illness and injury because it builds up and then suddenly makes your brain all explodey

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Frosted Flake posted:

They're dying for exactly the same things the soldiers in WW1 were dying for. Not one step back. They can't retreat, they can't acquiesce to defeat, they can't hide. They have to get out and live their lives, for pride, for honor, because not doing these things is psychologically unacceptable.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I had a beard for 4 years. Like a dumbass, I kept it until about half way through 2020. It sucks at first getting back into a shaving routine, but you get used to it pretty fast.

I know what killed me about shaving before I went Beardo was that I was shaving sporadically, now that I'm on a MWF regiment it's actually not too bad.

Hell, I don't have to be anywhere for a few days, and I'm not back in the office until the 3rd, and I made a point of shaving today so that I wouldn't fall off the wagon.

Do not get addicted to shaving, blah blah blah resent it's absence.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

genericnick posted:

Do not get addicted to shaving, blah blah blah resent it's absence.

Nah, I'll be cool in 2032 when I can go back to having a hobo beard

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

lol fair.

because it's not "enduring" if you're not seeing bodies dropping next to you. the trauma is filtered through so much media (in the dictionary definition sense) that by the time it reaches you, if ever, it's depersonalized to such a degree that it may as well be a fiction novel you're reading.

americans in general, as a whole, are so alienated and divorced socially, emotionally and economically from the actual economic forces that there's actually not really a question even as to how, let alone why. to the point that almost everyone automatically thinks of social costs in terms of economic ones.

it is the bread we paid for, consume, and entwine with anything resembling a social identity. Just cannibalize, absorb, and move on. grandma can suffocate in her own phlegm if it means my 401k keeps earning.

And so on.

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

Only losers die, dipshit. Duh.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

my aunt died from a brain aneurysm... I think she was only 38 or something :(

(I don't really know all the details but there is some suspicion my alcoholic piece of poo poo uncle had hit her on the head with a bottle tho and that exacerbated things. dunno how true any of that is)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
how did our entire nation turn into Brady Sluder?

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

Because we've been conditioned for at least the last 40 years, that if Number is good, America is good.

I tried to explain quantitative easing to my friend with an MBA a few years back, and she just got more and more upset. Finally, she found an article from Reuters on her phone and started loudly reciting some chud journalist's explanation that propping up the stock market with printed money is good.

Much easier to just tell people "your life is a lie" and let them cope than continue the lying - but if your world exists inside the bubble of Capital, it's easier to continue living in fantasyland than assessing reality

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Zisky posted:

China will shut down whole cities and weld people into their apartments but cancel an international prestige event? Not gonna happen.

the chinese govt is unlikely to cancel imho, its a good way for the chinese govt to thumb their noses at everyone else who abandoned or never contemplated zero covid policies. they've been touting their closed-loop system for winter olympics since october https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/32484469/beijing-creates-closed-loop-winter-olympics-isolating-participants-public . the unofficial mouthpiece for the cpc global times has even detailed the workings of the closed-loop system. publication date is dec 16th so omicron is accounted for. they have already done test events to work out potential kinks in the closed-loop system.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202112/1241611.shtml

quote:

Thousands of athletes and support staff have already arrived in Beijing from overseas and experienced Beijing's closed-loop management during the test event phase.

Building on this, Beijing has further improved its epidemic prevention manual and aims to reduce the likelihood of outbreaks within the closed-loop system and strictly prevent the spread of outbreaks outside the closed loop.

The Global Times has learned that all Olympics-related personnel must stay in the closed loop during the Winter Olympics, even if they have been in Beijing for more than 21 days.

The Global Times has also learned that restrictions on athletes will not be overly strict. Medical exemptions from vaccines will be allowed, and athletes will not be disqualified if they are identified as close contacts.

Athletes who re-test positive after a positive test will be treated or transferred to a quarantine site. However, the event will not be canceled due to the presence of a positive case, and the venue will perform additional disinfection and sterilization of areas visited by the confirmed patients or their close contacts, and the competition will be postponed if necessary, Bao Weihua, epidemic prevention manager of the National Indoor Stadium, told the Global Times on Wednesday.

If an athlete is determined to be a close contact, this athlete can continue to compete if he or she tests negative and if certain regulatory conditions are met, according to the Beijing 2022 playbook.

"The number of participants and the size of the event was only 17 percent of the real Winter Olympics, and the spectator organization was not put into test," Bao Weihua said.

Beijing also saw its first test event with spectators on November 22, when 300 spectators arrived at the National Sliding Center, an outdoor venue hosting bobsleigh, luge and skeleton, to watch the event. They were asked to show a green health code, have their temperature measured on site and then enter the grandstand area through a separately designed flow line, with zero crossover with staff, athletes and others throughout.

Bao told the Global Times that Chinese staff at the venue will enter a smaller closed loop between January 4 and 6 to work with the foreign staff who will arrive then. This smaller closed loop is part of the larger Winter Olympics closed loop, which is expected to end on January 22. They will then join the athletes in the larger closed loop.

"All personnel working in the closed loop will have separate areas for working, eating and resting to ensure minimum interaction with delegates and athletes from overseas," a National Technical Official acting as an impartial judge of the alpine skiing competition at the Winter Olympic Games, surnamed Ma, told the Global Times on Wednesday.

"It will be mandatory to wear N95 masks throughout the working process and change them every four hours. We will take a nucleic acid test every day, and the result will come out in less than two hours," Ma said.

After receiving a booster shot, venue staff will enter closed-loop management at the National Alpine Ski Center in Beijing's Yanqing district in mid-January, about two weeks before start of the Games. They will stay in the closed-off area until April after completing a 21-day quarantine when both the Winter Olympics and Paralympic Winter Games are over. (huhwhat's note: winter olympics ends in feb and paralympic ends mid-march)

tldr the winter olympic venue is raccoon city, they will try their best to prevent outbreaks from happening there but they'll be lobbing multiple nukes at raccoon city if there is even a hint of the virus spreading outside it

also chinese cities dont get locked down for no good reason post wuhan.
u may have heard of xi'an getting locked down due to a measly few hundred cases (total)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/24/chinese-officials-face-punishment-over-covid-lockdown-in-xian
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/china-lockdown-xi-an-1.6296105
but its because they can't establish a clear transmission chain and community transmission was occurring

can't find detailed english writeups on the xian outbreak so if u click my linked sources ur gonna have to rely on google translate

source of xian outbreak has been traced to a flight from pakistan http://www.takungpao.com/news/232108/2021/1221/668754.html although first detection was actually from passengers on a flight from xian (shaanxi) to dongguan (guangdong) http://news.youth.cn/jsxw/202112/t20211224_13364736.htm

its almost quaint reading the reporting where the who, where, when and how of the virus spread is laid out so clearly.

reading comments on weibo and other chinese social media, the general sentiment i get is:

the most massive fuckup is that the transmission chain from the infected passengers to local cases remains unclear. due to this and also evidence of community transmission, the entire city of xian has to go into lockdown. there have been outbreaks in other regions with similarly high initial case counts that did not result in total lockdown

another fuckup was letting a couple who took a covid test in xian (shaanxi) drive down to shenqiu (henan) without waiting for the results that confirmed they were positive. people were maaaaaad at these fuckers

lots of debate on where the responsibility for not locking down the city earlier lies. there was an attempt to lockdown the city earlier, barriers etc were in place but it was aborted just mere hours later. the 2nd attempt at lockdown only began in earnest when cases were rising to almost a hundred a day. some said the under-resourced xian have always been lax in controlling covid. some blamed it on anti-lockdown folks who don't want their lives and businesses disrupted. some are blaming some unspecified higher-ups who blocked the 1st lockdown attempt out of concern for the ~economy~

https://twitter.com/SecondRingSZN/status/1473543564730769408

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

HiroProtagonist posted:

you may as well not if it helps. by the time you are symptomatic (if ever) you've already breathed on people a whole lot more before then.

unless you've not spoken to your aunt except through a closed compartment like across a pane of glass, you're already on mr. biden's mild ride.

This is bad advice. Breathing covid air is Russian roulette, except you need to wait five days to find out if you lost. If you've played a few rounds, that doesn't mean you should just keep pulling the trigger.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
literally the only bodies dropping in the stalingrad analogy would be nurses and healthcare workers, seeing people burn out, or worse, get sick and even die trying to manage and maintain the status quo.

there's absolutely no question in my mind that if you want to make a war analogy, it would be in ERs and ICUs. But the incredibly sad part is that nobody loving gives a poo poo because none of that is displayed because it would upset number, and number is index of happiness.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

HiroProtagonist posted:

yeah but maybe Pillowpants can avoid spreading it to others.

Goonspeed, Pillowpants. (And HiroProtagonist, since I know you have it!)

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

lol fair.

no way someone hasn't posted this ITT yet, but a good discussion of the topic at hand: https://late-light.com/issues/issue-1/death-drive-nation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Chamale posted:

This is bad advice. Breathing covid air is Russian roulette, except you need to wait five days to find out if you lost. If you've played a few rounds, that doesn't mean you should just keep pulling the trigger.

unless you can test yourself for antigens on every exposure its meaningless

and lol if you can tbh