Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"So, you heard that angel last night?"

"Angel?"

"Yeah! Came from the sky, told us be not afraid, a king is born, first noel, etc.

"The gently caress? No? All I had was cold winter night that was so deep and poo poo."

"Oh, dang, well--sorry! Guess the angel only came to certain poor shepherds." :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lady Disdain posted:

I also just found out that "spendthrift" means the exact opposite of what I thought it meant.
I don't think I've ever used it in a sentence, but still.

Yeah the natural assumption is that it's someone who is thrifty about their spending but 'thrift' used to mean 'savings' or 'prosperity' or 'wealth' so it actually means 'someone who spends their savings'. There's a few words with pretty much the same meaning that also use -thrift as a suffix but have fallen out of use: wastethrift, slipthrift, dingthrift.

I guess an antonym would be a "savethrift" but as far as I know that's not an actual word

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lady Disdain posted:

I also just found out that "spendthrift" means the exact opposite of what I thought it meant.
I don't think I've ever used it in a sentence, but still.

Isn;'t that one of those words that's switched back and forth a bunch over the years as people keep misusing it

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Lady Disdain posted:

"The first Noel the angel did say was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay"
Because of the way the line is stressed, I always just assumed that "to certain" was a verb, and that it probably meant something like "to make certain" or "to reassure". But no, it's just the regular determiner as I'm used to it being used.

Yeah it's a tortuous sentence structure to preserve the rhyming scheme. You see it a lot in Christmas songs, and to a lesser extent other old timey songs.

I don't notice it a whole lot in newer songs, so maybe that practice fell out of favor. :shrug:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah it's a tortuous sentence structure to preserve the rhyming scheme. You see it a lot in Christmas songs, and to a lesser extent other old timey songs.

I don't notice it a whole lot in newer songs, so maybe that practice fell out of favor. :shrug:
That particular song is pretty tortured anyway, with multiple cases of one-syllable words stretched out over several notes. My least favorite of the older classics (but it is very, very old).

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Little drummer boy is pretty awful; a combination of very religious and loving insane. "Holy poo poo, this newborn will be our savior and kings have come from far and wide bearing gifts like gold? I know, this newborn needs a rad drum solo."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hell yeah! The livestock's keeping the backbeat, time to work on my cadences.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Little Drummer Boy has long been my least favourite Christmas carol because it's a billion verses long and they're all exactly the same without a fun chorus or anything to break it up and it's monotonous as gently caress.

I do like the tunes of a lot of religious carols but. Not that one.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

RoboRodent posted:

Little Drummer Boy has long been my least favourite Christmas carol because it's a billion verses long and they're all exactly the same without a fun chorus or anything to break it up and it's monotonous as gently caress.

Absolutely, it's a dread march. They should have made the beat start very simple and slow and then it would have gotten more and more complex with entwined rhythms and poo poo, really drum it up

Like this is a godbaby we're talking about, pa-rum-pum-pum ain't cutting it

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

But but but it's the only gift he had for the newborn king! And he did ask first. Once Mary nodded, any resulting cacophony was on her. :colbert:

(I hate it, too)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Brawnfire posted:

They should have made the beat start very simple and slow and then it would have gotten more and more complex with entwined rhythms and poo poo, really drum it up

Bolero but make it Christmas.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Brawnfire posted:

Absolutely, it's a dread march. They should have made the beat start very simple and slow and then it would have gotten more and more complex with entwined rhythms and poo poo, really drum it up

Like this is a godbaby we're talking about, pa-rum-pum-pum ain't cutting it

Just add some words to King Crimson's Talking Drum, boom! New Christmas classic

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Pigs with chicken's talons :gonk:

Chickens just have claws, too short to be called talons. Just like fwiw or whatever.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAtoMSjOQ1A

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My new favorite Christmas carol is Deck the Halls sung to the tune of War Pigs

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UquvMdmJEb0

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

RoboRodent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWahO6rIW6s

Phy posted:

My new favorite Christmas carol is Deck the Halls sung to the tune of War Pigs

oh poo poo I can sing that one hahahaha

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

"What Child is This?" has the same tune from Greensleeves, and I never noticed it until recently, despite my big ol' personal Christmas playlist including several different renditions.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
An Argentinian housemate made me a milanesa once.

I just realised it's the exact same thing as a schnitzel

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

"What Child is This?" has the same tune from Greensleeves, and I never noticed it until recently, despite my big ol' personal Christmas playlist including several different renditions.

Except for the one note they usually change for some reason, which bugs me every time :arghfist:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Carol of the bells is good.

That's all I got, happy holidays

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Most old carols/church hymns are from someone taking preexisting folk music then replacing the lyrics with Jesus. Greensleeves/What child is this? is just one where the secular version survives

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Carol of the Bells is one of those, too, it was taken from a Ukrainian song to celebrate the New Year.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Foxfire_ posted:

Most old carols/church hymns are from someone taking preexisting folk music then replacing the lyrics with Jesus. Greensleeves/What child is this? is just one where the secular version survives

Most of the Australian Football League team songs are like this. An old marching or band song, with lyrics changed to match the team. The newer teams have original songs, and they all suck

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Which team has You Are Everybody

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
This is the only version of Little Drummer Boy I can tolerate. But that's because Bad Religion rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IScpH3jXtEA

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Memento posted:

Most of the Australian Football League team songs are like this. An old marching or band song, with lyrics changed to match the team. The newer teams have original songs, and they all suck

The Minnesota state song "Hail Minnesota" is basically a random college fight song re-purposed. It's terrible and I had to learn it in 6th grade. I still remember all the words, and it sucks.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Memento posted:

Protip

The old ones are poo poo too

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

mostlygray posted:

The Minnesota state song "Hail Minnesota" is basically a random college fight song re-purposed. It's terrible and I had to learn it in 6th grade. I still remember all the words, and it sucks.

I just looked up to see if Maine had a state song, and apparently it does. I have never, in my entire life, heard it even once, but the tang of those salty seas will surely call us home.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Little drummer boy is pretty awful; a combination of very religious and loving insane. "Holy poo poo, this newborn will be our savior and kings have come from far and wide bearing gifts like gold? I know, this newborn needs a rad drum solo."

To be fair, rad drum solos are a cool gift.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

To be fair, rad drum solos are a cool gift.

Especially if they raise the dead, much like Christ would years later. What if Neil Peart was the little drummer boy this whole time???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4IprJww8w

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Speaking of Christmas music... last night I just figured out something about one of those songs that gets played all the time. It's the one by John Lennon. You know the one. I finally asked my husband why everyone hates that song. Is it because children singing is annoying?

So I just figured out the screeching falsetto part of the song isn't some children John roped in to record a Christmas song. That's Yoko Ono. :v: And that's why everyone hates that song.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"The yellow and red ones" is kind of a weird line as well

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

:eyepop: Lol I don't even remember listening closely enough to hear that in the lyrics, more proof that it's a trash song. It's literally the same level of terrible as the "Jesus loves the little children" song that I cringe about when remembering it from sunday school as a kid.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That song is dank homie

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

dustin.h posted:

I just looked up to see if Maine had a state song, and apparently it does. I have never, in my entire life, heard it even once, but the tang of those salty seas will surely call us home.

Of course we got a kinda douchey Jack Mormon to sing ours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCXSB7KIIi4

SgtScruffy posted:

Especially if they raise the dead, much like Christ would years later. What if Neil Peart was the little drummer boy this whole time???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4IprJww8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQxveh2d-Js

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Dec 25, 2021

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Brawnfire posted:

Let's stop all the fight

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah the natural assumption is that it's someone who is thrifty about their spending but 'thrift' used to mean 'savings' or 'prosperity' or 'wealth' so it actually means 'someone who spends their savings'. There's a few words with pretty much the same meaning that also use -thrift as a suffix but have fallen out of use: wastethrift, slipthrift, dingthrift.

I guess an antonym would be a "savethrift" but as far as I know that's not an actual word

Thank you for this. I read the wiktionary entry, and didn't really understand it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wasabi the J posted:

I just found out today at the age of 35 that drumsttes are actually wings.

I thought party wings were just from different sized birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I didn't figure this out and I guess it's not unbelievable that someone just figured this out but: you can control the enemy soldiers in some scenes of Metal Gear Solid with a controller in the second controller port :psyduck: