Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Paradoxish posted:

now that I have covid I'm immune to covid!*

*I am not immune to covid

:crnasickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Stereotype posted:

the best part of the Honolulu mayor refusing to do anything at all as transmission spirals wildly out of control is that he said that he will take action when the hospitals are full. once they are full though. it’s a good thing that restrictions have an instant effect and stop people from needing to be hospitalized!! good thing there isn’t any type of time lag there!!!! good thing!!!!!!!!!!!!
well I mean yeah, you would wait until the flooding starts to build a levee right?

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The party I was supposed to attend tonight had 3 cancellations because the guests were positive, and a close contact of one of the positives showed up anyway

Everything's going great!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Happy Covidmas!

I woke up this Covidmas morning to a text from ServiceNSW telling me I'd been in the supermarket yesterday at the same time as a confirmed covid case and to monitor for symptoms.
On the bright side the 8 day pause in contact tracing has given them a chance to catch up as it took them 3 days to inform me last time.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Stereotype posted:

if the pandemic was causing buildings to fall over people sure as hell would care.

an entire apartment building collapsed this summer in Florida and we cared for maybe a couple days before blowing up the inconvenient wreckage

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Virgil Vox posted:

an entire apartment building collapsed this summer in Florida and we cared for maybe a couple days before blowing up the inconvenient wreckage

don't forget that we also chose to memory hole all the fundamental reasons why it happened

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

NeonPunk posted:

Doing the rapid test for my father does make me wonder how many folks tested negative on their own tests because they can't stand to stick a swab up their nose properly? I saw him just like stick it tiny bit up for less a second, but I'm going to do it properly tomorrow myself.

At least I got plenty of medicines, food and water, and a pulse oximeter ready.

In the only PCR test I've had the nurse barely got a cm into my nose so even the experts suck. Luckily my wife got it right up into the grey matter.

Also they tested the nose and mouth with the same swab?! I thought we weren't supposed to eat our boogers.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Strep Vote posted:

I think you have the right idea. How long ago was the exposure? If you don't need it for travel in the next few days, five days after exposure is when people tend to pop positive. If there are no other constraints I would wait for a bit in case you are too early to catch it rn and you only have one test.

thanks, exposure was on monday, she teaches at a college and they mandated in person exams. oops! guess we’ll test tonight and maybe have one of us double up on the tests. striking that this might affect our plans to stand before my parents to say hi and drop off food from the driveway while making small talk tomorrow before leaving. normal! mild!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

fermun posted:

Hop on in if you wanna jack with some of us.

https://discord.gg/89YTjXQc if you wanna have fun but you aren’t, Jackbox is still going on. probably another hour on the clock

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Oh look, rationality!

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Virgil Vox posted:

remember that building that collapsed in new orleans that still had like a dead body exposed...did they ever fix that?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
xmas day! wonder how many covid cases french santa will bring to perth

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I'm baking cookies for Santa and loving cackling oh my god
lovely Xmas eve this

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

crepeface posted:

french santa

HOn HOn HOn

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

WrasslorMonkey posted:

how come it get smol

Because I was extremely high, it was my first time using GIMP and didn't resize properly.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

global tetrahedron posted:

thanks, exposure was on monday, she teaches at a college and they mandated in person exams. oops! guess we’ll test tonight and maybe have one of us double up on the tests. striking that this might affect our plans to stand before my parents to say hi and drop off food from the driveway while making small talk tomorrow before leaving. normal! mild!

if she was the exposed person she needs to take the tests. 4 days is barely long enough for her incubation time, then you need a day or two on top of that for secondary contacts. (based on being able to spread the virus 48 hours before you get sick/can test positive)

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
open biden

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

crepeface posted:

xmas day! wonder how many covid cases french santa will bring to perth

Get us over 10k, you can do it

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Merry Christmas covid thread para-social friends. I love each and every one of you and I hope none of you die.

Cheers.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1474488437839327236

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Discord is measurably and immensely worse than forums

Goobish
May 31, 2011

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So after being the “covid bad news guy” for the last two years straight. Today of all days, Ive been on the phone with no less than four people needing help understanding what to do now that their cousin/co-worker/girlfriend/kid tested positive.

Suddenly I’m “guy who knows how to handle covid”, and I have to thank the thread, as I wouldn’t be that guy without all of you.

With that said, holy gently caress people have no idea what to do when covid hits their life.

I just bought a rapid test, should I use it now? No your contact was only yesterday, you need to wait 4 days.

If my kid is positive, can I go back to work Monday? No you fucktart, you are considered an ongoing exposure and you need to stay home!(actually the CDC says they can because they got J&J 9 months ago so clearly covid cant get them, and all they need to do is wear a mask. good thing no one knows how to google cdc covid guidelines)

what a long day.

Wish I could be like this guy but instead I just throw an N95 and try to scream thru my honeywell hahaha you're too late! You have chosen Death as your Master! Then scurry back to my cave.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I like how all the right-wing talking points from last year like "It's just a cold." and "They're in the hospital WITH covid not because of it." and "There's nothing you can do everyone just has to live their lives." are just what pretty much everyone is saying now.

Yes, I too, "like" this.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Get us over 10k, you can do it

we had 4 yesterday

bets among my friends are:
  • 17 (two people)
  • 7 (me)

edit wait no I said 5.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 25, 2021

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/davidalim/status/1474474128828551169

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Objective Action posted:

Merry Christmas covid thread para-social friends. I love each and every one of you and I hope none of you die.

Cheers.

Same to you, good goon

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Worldometers is at like 190,000 with only 20 states reporting

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Dog Case posted:

Mild

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
christmas of death so what

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

this...is an aspiration

not an inspiration

an aspiration.

i've been looking at this for an hour.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Virgil Vox posted:

I thought we waited a week-ish before we blew up everybody because they said it was impossible for survivors past that point

Dog Case posted:

god rest in peace us merry gentlegoons

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Anyone know if these rapid tests are as poo poo as the other ones on the market?

https://www.cuehealth.com/products/how-cue-detects-covid-19/

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

HiroProtagonist posted:

hold on is dune movie good should i go see it

wait for part 2

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

this article popped up on my phone's feed the other day and I almost threw my phone in the trash

gently caress you deseret news

it's referring to this JAMA letter
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/ja...utm_term=121621

quote:

Results
Twenty-six participants with breakthrough infections (mean age, 38 years; 20 [77%] women; 24 [92%] were vaccinated with BNT162b2, sampled a median 28 days after PCR date and 213.5 days after final vaccination; 21 [81%] with mild symptoms) were matched to 26 controls (mean age, 39 years; 21 [81%] women; 26 [100%] were vaccinated with BNT162b2, sampled a median 28 days after final vaccination). Total receptor-binding domain–specific immunoglobulin increased in participants with breakthrough infection with a median EC50 of 2152 (95% CI, 961-3596) compared with 668 (95% CI, 473-892) in controls (322% increase; P < .001) (Figure 1A). Median serum dilutions increased for both IgG and IgA. For example, the median IgA EC50 after breakthrough infection was 120 (95% CI, 44-246), compared with 24 (95% CI, 24-24) for controls (502% increase; P < .001). IgM levels were not significantly different between groups (Figure 1B).

Among sequence-confirmed breakthrough cases, 10 were Delta and 9 were non-Delta infections. Among breakthrough cases, the median FRNT50 against WA1 was 4646 (95% CI, 2283-7053) vs 489 (95% CI, 272-822) for controls (950% increase; P < .001). FRNT50 results for Alpha, Beta, and Gamma variants are shown in Figure 2A. In breakthrough cases, median FRNT50 against the Delta variant was 2482 (95% CI, 1072-4923), compared with 243 (95%CI, 118-336) for controls (1021% increase; P < .001) (Figure 2A). Sera from Delta breakthrough cases displayed improved potency against the Delta variant at 99% (95% CI, 73-151) of WA1 neutralization for each participant, compared with 36% (95% CI, 33-52) for non-Delta cases and 41% (95% CI, 24-56) for controls (Figure 2B).

Discussion
Results of this study showed substantial boosting of humoral immunity after breakthrough infection, despite predominantly mild disease. Boosting was most notable for IgA, possibly due to the differences in route of exposure between vaccination and natural infection. In addition, breakthrough sera demonstrated improved variant cross-neutralization, and Delta breakthrough infections in particular exhibited improved potency against Delta vs WA1, suggesting that the protective immune response may be broadened through development of variant boosters with antigenic inserts matching the emerging SARS-CoV-2 variants. Limitations of this study include the small number of samples and the difference in time from initial vaccination to serum collection between the breakthrough and control groups, which emerging evidence suggests may contribute to the development of variant cross-neutralizing antibody responses.6

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

kreeningsons posted:

Anyone know if these rapid tests are as poo poo as the other ones on the market?

https://www.cuehealth.com/products/how-cue-detects-covid-19/
Cue’s test is much closer to PCR than standard rapid tests. It uses nucleic acid amplification, not antigen detection. it is still not perfect though (no test is)

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Natural infection induces a short period of mucosal immunity - but I'm not sure if Omicron lessens that period

Which then makes me wonder how Omicron's going to affect the intranasal vaccines and their ability to induce mucosal immunity

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

new york with 45k, lol

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I like how all the right-wing talking points from last year like "It's just a cold." and "They're in the hospital WITH covid not because of it." and "There's nothing you can do everyone just has to live their lives." are just what pretty much everyone is saying now.

They got what they claimed to have wanted and they are are still pissed. It's incredibly funny.

Paradoxish posted:

This is a pet peeve of mine because I know school administrators who are still right now complaining about how lockdowns ruined all their kids despite working in districts that did maybe two months of actual full remote learning.

Admins are going to pin every issue they face for a decade on 2020 restrictions because it absolves them of any responsibility.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Objective Action posted:

Cheers.

Cheers. Merry Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Rauros posted:

new york with 45k, lol

Hey, we still got a year at this rate to prevent everyone from popping hot! *taps head*