Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the inscryption bit is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“oh cool I’ve never heard of his favourite game, maybe I’ll find a cool new thi-oh gently caress OFF it’s a deck building game”

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
inscryption whips rear end

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

“oh cool I’ve never heard of his favourite game, maybe I’ll find a cool new thi-oh gently caress OFF it’s a deck building game”

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Escobarbarian posted:

I have heard only good things about it from just about every critic out there, but I feel ya. I'm just not interested.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Inscryption is very good. I couldn't get into stuff like Hearthstone or Slay the Spire, but Inscryption is much different and very worth it.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I slogged through Inscryption even though I don't like deck building games and I still don't like deck building games so I didn't much like Inscryption.

I say this just to balance out the myriad "I don't usually like card games, but..." takes you can find on the internet

but not every game has to be for everyone

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I feel like I'm out of the loop, are deck-building games A Thing now? Like apart from established old CCGs like Magic's various online iterations and hearthstone, and clones like Eternal? I thought Inscryption was a self-contained single-player thing from everything I've heard about it?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Entropic posted:

I feel like I'm out of the loop, are deck-building games A Thing now? Like apart from established old CCGs like Magic's various online iterations and hearthstone, and clones like Eternal? I thought Inscryption was a self-contained single-player thing from everything I've heard about it?

yeah single player games where the core mechanic revolves around building decks of cards has been a thing for a few years at this point

i think Slay the Spire was the first big one

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
FYI Slay the spire and poo poo are deck building games that kind of reset your progress every game to balance it out so that you can play forever, like Tetris

Inscryption straight up gives you poo poo that breaks the game’s mechanics if you’re realize it because the game wants to you keep going and experience the whole thing once. Not just keep playing forever.

I mean, I think maybe a lot of people don’t realize this and like miss the way to notice the game breaking poo poo that it throws at you? I don’t think you have to “replay” the “game” like only 4-5 times before it starts letting you basically cheat.

Edit - letting you cheat is like part of the narrative and not just like some easy mode for you babies out there. The game is rad.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Hell, if you know what you're doing, you can "cheat" literally the first time you die.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Deckbuilder video games have been around for decades, but the current wave of them was kicked off by Hand of Fate and Slay the Spire. Before that they were pretty few and far between outside of just, like, video game adaptations of CCGs.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Sivart13 posted:

I slogged through Inscryption even though I don't like deck building games and I still don't like deck building games so I didn't much like Inscryption.

I say this just to balance out the myriad "I don't usually like card games, but..." takes you can find on the internet

but not every game has to be for everyone

Do you play/review games professionally? If so my condolences but if not I don't understand why one would "slog through" a game they don't enjoy in a genre they don't enjoy.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The only deck building game you ever need to play is Magic: The Gathering. :colbert:

And you don't even, strictly speaking, need to play that one.

"But this deck builder/mmo/moba/clickyclickfest is different!" Yeah, no.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The only deck building game you ever need to play is Magic: The Gathering. :colbert:

For perspective: Inscryption does not have an endless mode. There are distinct story acts that tell a narrative across its gameplay, and the clamor for a Slay the Spire style deck builder mode finally went into Beta recently. It's not just another deck builder to add the pile, it expects you to finish playing after a 6-8ish hour runtime and my eyes got a bit misty.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'm missing something in Inscryption because it seems intensely difficult to me. You don't get enough squirrels to play all your cards to prevent damage and if you sacrifice your actual cards, you run out of creatures and lose. Even when I get OP death cards like no cost with good stats it's not enough

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

I feel like I'm missing something in Inscryption because it seems intensely difficult to me. You don't get enough squirrels to play all your cards to prevent damage and if you sacrifice your actual cards, you run out of creatures and lose. Even when I get OP death cards like no cost with good stats it's not enough

If you interact with the escape room puzzle aspects you steadily get permanent upgrades that eventually allow you to make extremely overpowered cards that can just bypass any cards your opponent has and deal 5 damage, winning instantly. Some bosses have board clears between phases so you can't steamroll the whole game, but every boss you beat gets you access to rare cards with unique abilities that you can beeline to a sacrifice altar and put on a 1 cost minion that will tear a board apart.

I suck at Slay the Spire and also suck at the endless Act 1 Beta, but time investment in Act 1 will let you trivialize it after a while. If you can beat a regular deckbuilder through wits alone, you could beat the game in a day and hit end credits. It took me a whole weekend but I thought it was well worth it

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

thecluckmeme posted:

If you interact with the escape room puzzle aspects you steadily get permanent upgrades that eventually allow you to make extremely overpowered cards that can just bypass any cards your opponent has and deal 5 damage, winning instantly. Some bosses have board clears between phases so you can't steamroll the whole game, but every boss you beat gets you access to rare cards with unique abilities that you can beeline to a sacrifice altar and put on a 1 cost minion that will tear a board apart.

I suck at Slay the Spire and also suck at the endless Act 1 Beta, but time investment in Act 1 will let you trivialize it after a while. If you can beat a regular deckbuilder through wits alone, you could beat the game in a day and hit end credits. It took me a whole weekend but I thought it was well worth it

the progression is funny since the only people i've seen take a super long time were literally too good at it, the vice playthrough beat grizzlies multiple times and couldn't make metaprogression to get the magic eye without dying more -- but each act 1 run was super hard and took hours, so the first section took them longer than the whole game takes some people

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Bee posted:

Hell, if you know what you're doing, you can "cheat" literally the first time you die.
it will also cheat right back at you if you get too far in your first & second runs so there's no shame in it

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Oh hey, griffin gave our baby diaper poop explosion thread a shout-out in the besties intro

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

External Organs posted:

Oh hey, griffin gave our baby diaper poop explosion thread a shout-out in the besties intro

What??

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

You'll just have to listen.

Edit: bit starts about 38 seconds in

External Organs fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 24, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

External Organs posted:

Haha. Apparently Russ is a one man Something Awful.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Is there any indication Inscryption is coming out for console? I have zero appetite for sitting in front of my computer to play games these days

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

AndrewP posted:

Is there any indication Inscryption is coming out for console? I have zero appetite for sitting in front of my computer to play games these days

Yeah same

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

I don't understand why one would "slog through" a game they don't enjoy in a genre they don't enjoy.
everyone was so hyped about all the secretive elements I thought it would be worth playing despite the parts that I don't like (most of it)

turns out that may have been the wrong call for me but it's hard to know until you've done it

That it's showing up on so many GOTY lists justifies my decision to play through it because otherwise I'd be wondering what I was missing out on. But I wish other games would be getting those goaties because Inscryption didn't bring me much joy.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Sivart13 posted:

everyone was so hyped about all the secretive elements I thought it would be worth playing despite the parts that I don't like (most of it)

turns out that may have been the wrong call for me but it's hard to know until you've done it

That it's showing up on so many GOTY lists justifies my decision to play through it because otherwise I'd be wondering what I was missing out on. But I wish other games would be getting those goaties because Inscryption didn't bring me much joy.

I get that,

I'm so spoiled with choice now if a game doesn't grab me pretty quick I don't go back to it. I miss the days of being a kid and my parents would buy me a couple of games a year and if I asked for something lovely or I didn't care for it welp too bad had to play it until my next christmas.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

if a game doesn't grab me pretty quick I don't go back to it
I did end up refunding Loop Hero within 15 minutes because I hated the font

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

magic the gathering is a ccg, not a deckbuilder

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
bitch

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

yeah actually they will posted:

magic the gathering is a ccg, not a deckbuilder

Oh. Then all deckbuilders suck donkey poo poo, sorry.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Between thinking that MTG is one and sorting the genre into the same territory as MOBAs and MMOs of all things, I am absolutely baffled as to what you think a deckbuilder is.

In other news, I have purchased the Glass Shark NFT. It appears to be a JPG of a swimming pool, but I am assured of the presence of the shark within the pool because it says on the blockchain that its in there. This is how I know that $89,000 was a small price to pay for this investment. My wife is divorcing me.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 25, 2021

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Inscryption's gameplay was pretty bad, I too was lured in by The Mystery and pressed on despite having zero fun with the RNG mechanics that you have to just wait for the game to politely save you from randomly, and it turns out the answer to the mystery was kind of dumb and frankly felt like it was from a different game.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sivart13 posted:

I had a similar thing with 13 Sentinels. I didn’t think I’d like it but there was so so so much hype, including people I trusted, that I ended up picking it up and really didn’t enjoy it at all. And the worst thing was that because so much of the acclaim was about the twists throughout I ended up playing the whole drat thing

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Welp, my spouse went and bought me the commemorative plate for xmas as a goof. I feel like buying one of those should put you into some kind of McElroy platinum club

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Colonel Whitey posted:

Welp, my spouse went and bought me the commemorative plate for xmas as a goof. I feel like buying one of those should put you into some kind of McElroy platinum club

post a pic of it in situ

you gonna wall mount it?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Colonel Whitey posted:

Owned

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Colonel Whitey posted:

:justpost: pics

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Cut out the TravisFace and mount it in epoxy and make it a big bling necklace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Why not just make a necklace out of the whole plate?