Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Griffen posted:

I think I had my first real crack ping tonight. I've been frustrated at people before, but this just made me feel so depressed. My in-laws go to a large church in suburban Cleveland, and thankfully they've been staying home out of safety. We were watching their Christmas Eve service streamed online, and I realized that they had full, in person services today in their large sanctuary.i saw the smaller of the two services recorded, but I'd guess that 200 people were there, maybe more, and I saw all of two masks. Thinking that the other service was packed, based on what the pastor said, that means maybe 600-800 people were there in two services, singing carols unmasked, during a pandemic wave in a national hotspot. Even if I'm conservative in the estimation, with the likelihood that at least a dozen people were contagious, probably a couple hundred may have caught COVID tonight, and probably at least one person will die directly because of a Christmas Eve service, not counting indirect deaths due to secondary spreading, taking up hospital beds, etc.

I just don't get it. I understand wanting to feel like things are normal again, but watching these people sing and do their song and dance knowing that the math strongly indicates one of them will die for it within a month broke me a little. Meanwhile my wife shows me an Instagram photo of our church back home doing a small service in the parking lot behind the dumpsters trying to maintain some level of precaution. It isn't hard to put a little effort into trying to protect your neighbor, but it seems even small efforts are too much for so many people.

It's like the whole country has decided to dehumanize and face to bloodshed for the illusion of normalcy, rather than sacrifice a little bit to actually achieve it. And somehow I'm the crazy one for not wanting more death.

Preaching to the choir here, but I just needed to tell someone about the madness.

Hell of a sanctuary you got there. What do you call it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Gio posted:

my cat is loving fat

no poo poo, I keep telling you they should only drink syrup once a day

Feste
Apr 7, 2009

has anyone else seen any anti-vax types in their social media sphere really speak out about the health crisis of Americans consuming seed oils? Is this new? Why?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Platystemon posted:

Have a flashback.

https://twitter.com/maccaf41/status/1248277020120952833

It’s weird to see people that early in the pandemic using respiratory protection properly.

You’re not allowed to use CBRN training for real threats!

I think we’ve established that mustard gas is mild, being fatal in only 2% of cases and disabling in 3%.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Judakel posted:

post-cum piss all up in his lungs

then the man in the back coughed, wheezed, struggled and hacked
their lungs turned into a post-cum piss

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

McNugget Buddy posted:

I don't want to go back because my eyes will bleed, but did Chise start posting Great Barrington Declaration talking points in fall of last year?

Or was she spouting libertarian nonsense the whole time?

Wondering when the kickbacks started

She was waaaaaaaaaaaaay less active before the vaccine hit the streets.

When that happened, she broke bad pretty much instantly.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1239165555862577152
https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1239581884738306048
https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1304050021147566082
https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1326171744919572480
https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1327001438883631104
https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1328011290384674819
https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1334324409079885824

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Went to suck n gently caress n her n her roommates are talking about seeing spiderman tomorrow. Already hosed and played myself but it couldve been worse??

Le jeu en vaut la chandelle ;)

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Griffen posted:

I think I had my first real crack ping tonight. I've been frustrated at people before, but this just made me feel so depressed. My in-laws go to a large church in suburban Cleveland, and thankfully they've been staying home out of safety. We were watching their Christmas Eve service streamed online, and I realized that they had full, in person services today in their large sanctuary.i saw the smaller of the two services recorded, but I'd guess that 200 people were there, maybe more, and I saw all of two masks. Thinking that the other service was packed, based on what the pastor said, that means maybe 600-800 people were there in two services, singing carols unmasked, during a pandemic wave in a national hotspot. Even if I'm conservative in the estimation, with the likelihood that at least a dozen people were contagious, probably a couple hundred may have caught COVID tonight, and probably at least one person will die directly because of a Christmas Eve service, not counting indirect deaths due to secondary spreading, taking up hospital beds, etc.

I just don't get it. I understand wanting to feel like things are normal again, but watching these people sing and do their song and dance knowing that the math strongly indicates one of them will die for it within a month broke me a little. Meanwhile my wife shows me an Instagram photo of our church back home doing a small service in the parking lot behind the dumpsters trying to maintain some level of precaution. It isn't hard to put a little effort into trying to protect your neighbor, but it seems even small efforts are too much for so many people.

It's like the whole country has decided to dehumanize and face to bloodshed for the illusion of normalcy, rather than sacrifice a little bit to actually achieve it. And somehow I'm the crazy one for not wanting more death.

Preaching to the choir here, but I just needed to tell someone about the madness.
Sounds like a few of the congregation are about to become a lot

:c00l:

closer to God

:yeah:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The whole "the virus will mutate to be milder because viruses don't want to kill their hosts" is such bullshit

It's liberals choosing believe in loving INTELLIGENT DESIGN rather than face the loving facts

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my in-laws went to a Christmas Eve service today and were aghast at the lack of masks. they're both over 70 with whatever medical conditions go along with being ancient.

when my wife told me I didn't even know what to say. just huge sighs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gradenko_2000 posted:

The whole "the virus will mutate to be milder because viruses don't want to kill their hosts" is such bullshit

It's liberals choosing believe in loving INTELLIGENT DESIGN rather than face the loving facts

It’s a rule of thumb that is less reliable than “moss only grows on the north side of trees”.

And given the course of evolution we’ve seen in SARS-CoV-2 thus far, I’m starting to think we’re in the Southern Hemisphere.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

USA entering the atmosphere and are out of radio contact
what's that debris in the sky???

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Zisky posted:

Sitting here wondering what next Christmas is going to be like.

Last Christmas, I gave Grandma 'Cron
And the very next day, they both passed away
This year, to add to my fears
I tested pos for Upsilon

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Liberals are just chuds that were good at taking tests.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CaptainACAB posted:

I did a thing on my probation

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
glad to be losing my mind alongside you all gentlemen.

Here's my christmas gift to the thread since making nonsense edits is how I stay sane: enjoy a fresh spin on an old classic, like omicron

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Weird! Massively delaying pediatric vaccines caused a lot of young children to get seriously ill? Waiting to see if 12-17 year olds require boosters like every other age group had consequences? Weird weird weird.

Oh well just another 6-ish more months until vaccines for under 5 year olds might become available, and then an additional 3-4 months beyond that before they're finally protected. 8-10 more months of this is fine.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Morbus posted:

It's a failure of leadership and a failure of imagination, but first and foremost it's a failure of ideology. There is no way to give meaning to the pandemic without, in some way, chipping away at the core narrative of neoliberalism (i.e. that atomized, "rational" actors governed by a profit motive and market signals are a suitable replacement for government). Our system is incapable of doing anything that doesn't reproduce neoliberalism...so all we can do is downplay, ignore, and retreat from the problem.

That makes sense. Thanks for breaking it down like that. It’s not Verdun to them because it can’t be, so they’re not grappling with collective sacrifice because they’re experiencing it as neither. If I understand- they haven’t substituted Applebees for Fort Douaumont, they really are just going to Applebees.
I guess that’s why Biden doesn’t feel the need to lead them like he did us, they’re not struggling to Open Biden. He doesn’t need to reassure them it was worthwhile because they don’t doubt it.

I mean, it still makes me feel crazy, like my mind is somehow out of sync with society, which is disconcerting, but it helps explain it.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

man i would drink that so fast

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot

Testvan posted:

how come no govt official has declared "war" on the virus yet
those fuckers love declaring war on stuff
Because we'd lose so bad, so totally, so completely
Like holy loving poo poo
COVID kicked our asses so bad, we're wearing our assholes like hats

The American ego can't handle the thought of losing any more wars after being told for decades we never lost a war
Be kind to the American ego
Win wars
Hoorah

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Yuli Ban posted:

Because we'd lose so bad, so totally, so completely
Like holy loving poo poo
COVID kicked our asses so bad, we're wearing our assholes like hats

The American ego can't handle the thought of losing any more wars after being told for decades we never lost a war
Be kind to the American ego
Win wars
Hoorah

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

U-DO Burger posted:

i followed the links to double-check those numbers because that curve just beggars belief

its real lol

No me gusta :smith:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

incredible

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
in the UK if you have a cold there's a 50% chance its omicron https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/24/omicron-covid-symptoms-uk-guidance-zoe-study

lol

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Chamale posted:

Steve Yum

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Holy moly, probably posted already but worth repeating:

quote:

COVID transmission rates in New York City are surging so aggressively, roughly 1.7% of all Manhattan residents have been infected in just the last week, according to the latest data posted by the city Thursday.

Over the last seven days, for every 100,000 Manhattan residents, about 1,672 have been infected, the city said in a transmission chart on its COVID data site.

And that's just an average - in some Manhattan neighborhoods, the numbers are astronomically higher. In Greenwich Village and SoHo, it's 2,927 cases per 100,000; in Chelsea, 2,513 per 100,000.

At those rates, Greenwich Village would dwarf just about any current outbreak spot, anywhere.
According to the New York Times' data, Washington D.C., where omicron is raging like wildfire, is "only" up to 158 cases per 100,000.

The problem in Greenwich Village is a microcosm of what's happening citywide, where more than 17,000 people tested positive Tuesday. Based on the latest NBC News data, that means roughly 7% of all new daily infections nationwide are happening in the city.
2% of the city infected in the past week, and a 2ish day doubling time...

At least it'll be over quick.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Too late, I’m already planning 5, you gently caress.

loving Groundhog Day.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nocturtle posted:

Holy moly, probably posted already but worth repeating:

2% of the city infected in the past week, and a 2ish day doubling time...

At least it'll be over quick.

So 6 generations aka 12 days, Monday Jan 3rd. Since data will be hosed up past then, enjoy!

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

HiroProtagonist posted:

Hell of a sanctuary you got there. What do you call it?

The church here? Biothunderdome. Our church back home? The parking lot behind the dumpsters. We Anglicans are a pretty laid back bunch.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i wonder if I could find sincere posts of people clapping for HCWs in d&d a year ago

heck I wonder if I could find sincere posts of people doing it in CSPAM

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Christmas Eve. Dropping off gifts to the nephew and niece tomorrow (*outdoors, I'll be rocking an aura). Then dipping to the woods to have a wholesome overnight camping trip with the housemate.

Hope y'all have a good holiday

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

still lollin over the fact ontario posted 9500 cases today and now won't report anything for four days straight

dear god this next week or two is gonna be hosed

Ontario will never report again. in 4 days it'll be anarchy

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

so basically everyone is getting infected within the next few weeks in the US aside from pockets of hermits, recluses and serious n95+ mask wearers, right?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

gay_crimes posted:

so basically everyone is getting infected within the next few weeks in the US aside from pockets of hermits, recluses and serious n95+ mask wearers, right?

Seems so

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I've always wanted to be the omega man

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Looks that way, yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

gay_crimes posted:

Not sure about "few weeks." Maybe in the biggest most population dense cities that's true. But in the next umm.. let's go with few months, it seems like most everyone will get a dice roll