Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Fleetwood posted:

the sequels aren't so good but Monica Bellucci makes them worth it

I had another Monica Bellucci dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i can't believe trump created the matrix 4. his mind

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Fleetwood posted:

the sequels aren't so good but Monica Bellucci makes them worth it

One of the sequels I ended up in a packed theater and was in the first row having to stare straight up at the ceiling. When her and her cleavage in that one outfit showed up it was directly over my head and I felt I was ascending into heaven

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The New York Times review of Don't Look Up makes a big deal about how the movie criticizes humanity's failure, as a collective, to confront the climate crisis

quote:

The director Adam McKay is not in the mood for nihilistic flights of fancy. Our planet is too dear and its future too terrifying, as the accelerated pace of species extinction and global deforestation underscore. But humanity isn’t interested in saving Earth, never mind itself, as the recent Glasgow climate summit reminded us. We’re too numb, dumb, powerless and indifferent, too busy fighting trivial battles. So McKay has made “Don’t Look Up,” a very angry, deeply anguished comedy freak out about how we are blowing it, hurtling toward oblivion. He’s sweetened the bummer setup with plenty of yuks — good, bad, indifferent — but if you weep, it may not be from laughing.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/23/movies/dont-look-up-review.html

This is very funny to me because the New York Times is specifically in the movie and mocked for being cowards. The movie (since it's made by liberals) seems unsure about what people outside of the halls of power should do in an existential crisis, but it's very clear about how the New York Times is loving up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Liberals literally just laugh like Homer and go 'It's true! We're so lame!'

They are deeply unserious people.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

mastershakeman posted:

Even crazier was it released essentially the same time as the phantom menace. I remember trying to see TPM and couldn't get in, so we went to see the matrix instead without knowing anything about it and getting absolutely blown away
also The Mod Squad

which i accidentally went to instead because The Matrix wouldn't come out until the next week and i was like "well it must be this one it's got the first 4 letters right"

very disappointing at the time because it wasn't The Matrix but seeing it has Claire Danes, Omar Epps, and Giovanni Ribisi in it i should probably give it a re-watch without the expectation that it's The Matrix for fairness

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/cevangelista413/status/1468370665480896512

quote:

The film, which McKay also scripted, is meant to be an allegory for climate change, and how those in positions of power seem to be willfully ignorant about the looming crisis. But it could just as easily serve as a satire of the Trump administration's reaction (or lack thereof) to COVID-19. Trump is, thankfully, no longer in the White House, but his abysmal, inept presidency, full of cronyism and incompetence, is the target here. And again: I have no complaints on that front. By all means, let's keep talking about what a disaster Trump was. But one of the biggest problems "Don't Look Up" has is that it's preaching to the choir, and its sermon isn't all that interesting to begin with. 

The people who will seek out "Don't Look Up" and take anything away from it are likely to already be liberal-leaning. In other words, they're already in the tank. Meanwhile, the folks who actually could stand to hear some of what the film is shouting about — those indoctrinated into the death cult of MAGA — won't give a drat about what McKay and all his Hollywood pals have to say. And perhaps that's really the ultimate goal of "Don't Look Up" — an excuse for smug, self-righteous liberals to bask in how smart they are while everyone else is a dunce. This isn't a movie with a message; it's an excuse to point and laugh at the oblivious. I consider myself a liberal person, and I could hardly stomach the weak, unsubtle crap "Don't Look Up" is peddling. This isn't just a disaster movie. It's also a disaster. 

im beginning to suspect this movie is actually good please advise

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I don't know if it's a good movie, but I think if you're reading this thread you'll at least find it interesting. It's an overlong, flawed movie made by Democrats. On the other hand the reactions to it are fun and I think it's notable to see what Adam McKay puts out in his role as court jester for the capitalist class.

I saw some small account tweet this reaction, and I honestly think this is a legitimate reading of the film.

quote:

Just watched Don’t look Up the movie. It was good and funny. There was a moment where they subliminally dig at Trump supporters and make us look silly but overall good movie. It’s about impending doom but in the end we should be grateful for what and who we have. Merry Christmas

At the end of the movie, as the comet is about to impact, DiCaprio's character says they put up a good fight. That "good" fight consisted of leaking a story to the press, making media appearances, and hosting a charity concert. The lack of political imagination is astounding. The protagonists are portrayed as foolish and selfish, but I don't think that sentiment was meant as a joke. There was never any real possibility besides global extinction.

Since we can't stop climate change, we should take the time to appreciate what we have now.

I'm thinking about how that applies to the billions of people who have far less to appreciate than people in the US.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1471983273886711811

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im intrigued at the presumption that as a criticism of trump the movie is irrelevant since now we have a completely different climate change policy under bidens thats indisputedly much better

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
the movie is funny and good if you have even the most mild case of cspam brain and you should watch it

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

El Pollo Blanco posted:

The best thing about the first matrix movie is how insanely camp it is

Weaving eating scenery in every scene really carries it all

Morpheus's reaction face at Trinity bringing neo back to life is amazing, his reaction to their moment on the rooftop after the chopper crash is superb

The Matrix is 100% sincere about being the coolest poo poo ever, and that confidence alone makes it better than today's action movies.

Also Tank is much better than the guy they replaced him with.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I already own a great jokerfied end of the world movie, it's called Downsizing.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

top-tier time loop movies

Groundhog Day
Edge of Tomorrow
Palm Springs
Run Lola Run (Lola rennt)
ARQ

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

for christmas i watched the home invasion horror Better Watch Out, its basically Get Out but instead of white people its entitled incels. surprisingly fun.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I did not watch the Resident Evil reboot but I did replay the two games (remakes) it is adapted from, which both hold up wonderfully.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i re-watched Jingle All The Way tonight. its got to be prob the best actual christmas movie and not just some dumb SPORTSBALL nerds screaming about die hard type meme poo poo.

well muppets christmas carol is the best but y'know

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

The Big Short was interesting in that imo it was a genuine attempt to explain a fairly complex topic to a diverse audience, even if McKay's poo poo doesn't really stick with me now that I'm not a college undergrad. It had things I didn't agree with and should've been way more critical of every hedge fund pos.

The Cheney movie I saw in theaters but can't remember anything about it apart from random scenes, the ending where he basically turns to the camera and says any other person would've done the same thing in his shoes is obviously complete garbage and made a forgettable movie even worse. It also lionizes a lot of Bush era ghouls.

I'm going to watch this climate movie but don't really know what to expect.

Atrocious Joe posted:

The movie (since it's made by liberals) seems unsure about what people outside of the halls of power should do in an existential crisis

Can you talk more about this?

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

FFT posted:

Groundhog Day
Edge of Tomorrow
Palm Springs
ARQ

I love Primer

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

FFT posted:

Groundhog Day
Edge of Tomorrow
Palm Springs
ARQ

Triangle is a neat little b movie

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i just started Don't Look Up and it opens with one of the better jack handey deep thoughts. i'm fuckin' sold

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Can you talk more about this?

*whispers* authoritarianism

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Maya Fey posted:

also Timecrimes

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

watching Don't Look Up

"General Themes" lmao

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

i said "time loop movies" not "time spaghetti-Os movies"

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

My cousin worked on that movie and was having his daughter on set doing home schooling learning. John c Reilly would come up to her and tell her made up history facts to mess with her

Also Sam Jackson kept dropping the nbomb while talking with her, she was like 8, and gets insanely embarrassed talking about that

That rules

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Jingle All The Way reboot but Arnold is trying to buy a graphics card

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Xaris posted:

i re-watched Jingle All The Way tonight. its got to be prob the best actual christmas movie and not just some dumb SPORTSBALL nerds screaming about die hard type meme poo poo.

well muppets christmas carol is the best but y'know

I did that the other night myself and I really appreciate how it just becomes a live action cartoon

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

gradenko_2000 posted:

Jingle All The Way reboot but Arnold is trying to buy a graphics card

or a ps5

i will say it's pretty 90s in terms of some of the consumerism mob, but i also dont think really much has changed. holds up very well and Sinbad owns

also rip phil hartman

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

When I was a kid I asked Santa for the toy featured in that movie, but was so embarrassed to be asking for a fictional toy that I whispered it into his ear so no one would hear. Then I got one of the ones they made irl come Christmas, thanks Santa.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Maya Fey posted:

and Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes is a pretty good recent entry

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I watched don’t look up it was pretty cool I guess. they spent a lot of time roasting girl trump but whatever. libs gonna lib

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the city has exploded in fireworks again so it added to the apocalyptic atmosphere.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mantis42 posted:

When I was a kid I asked Santa for the toy featured in that movie, but was so embarrassed to be asking for a fictional toy that I whispered it into his ear so no one would hear. Then I got one of the ones they made irl come Christmas, thanks Santa.

lol did they actually make one? jesus

sinbads rant about consumerism and rich ppl mushing kids brains and making parents feel bad for not buying them junk is spot, but he's treated like a crazy guy sadly rip

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

leo is fantastic in don't look up

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i only just realized that A Christmas Story is set in pre-WWII america.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i only just realized that A Christmas Story is set in pre-WWII america.

I thought it was the 50s?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

KomradeX posted:

I thought it was the 50s?

yeah how many mall santas were there in 1940

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Atrocious Joe posted:

I don't know if it's a good movie, but I think if you're reading this thread you'll at least find it interesting. It's an overlong, flawed movie made by Democrats. On the other hand the reactions to it are fun and I think it's notable to see what Adam McKay puts out in his role as court jester for the capitalist class.

I saw some small account tweet this reaction, and I honestly think this is a legitimate reading of the film.

At the end of the movie, as the comet is about to impact, DiCaprio's character says they put up a good fight. That "good" fight consisted of leaking a story to the press, making media appearances, and hosting a charity concert. The lack of political imagination is astounding. The protagonists are portrayed as foolish and selfish, but I don't think that sentiment was meant as a joke. There was never any real possibility besides global extinction.

Since we can't stop climate change, we should take the time to appreciate what we have now.

I'm thinking about how that applies to the billions of people who have far less to appreciate than people in the US.

The movie is very meta. A bunch of liberals made a movie about their inaction in the face of an existential threat. I can relate because I am also doing nothing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xaris posted:

lol did they actually make one? jesus

sinbads rant about consumerism and rich ppl mushing kids brains and making parents feel bad for not buying them junk is spot, but he's treated like a crazy guy sadly rip

Post cold war anyone accurately pointing out the ravages of capitalism was at best treated as unserious like a kid wanting to free the science lab frogs, at worst like a literal insane person not recognising reality of eternal joyous worship of consumerism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Judakel posted:

The movie is very meta. A bunch of liberals made a movie about their inaction in the face of an existential threat. I can relate because I am also doing nothing.
the movie has a post-credits scene

it is entirely too self aware