Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Well, I think we have a lot of good options! The problem is I don't think we can use the suitifyer once we go Megalith again, so we'll need to use it before we leave the valley a second time. It's not really urgent otherwise. It'd be cool to see if we can find the boat again and get some trading in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Yeah, if we can get an opportunity to get some new items before going for another run, I'm good with waiting for suiting

Grond
Mar 31, 2016

Black August posted:

...LOADING

Is that a list of legendary runs? I'm curious about the Island runs, they seem to be related to the Eidolons. And I'm also curious about the level one run as well.

Grond fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 21, 2021

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Grond posted:

Is that a list of legendary runs? I'm curious about the Island runs, they seem to be related to the Eidolons. And I'm also curious about the level one run as well.
Island Run [Singer] seems relevant to us.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
what are your influences, OP? I want to eat your brain.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

-Sheet Updated-

Tyrant and Psychic have grown to Adept level. Dark Wave has been empowered. Vehemence Blue (IQ & Magic) has been realized. ESP is now β-level in power. Realized the power of PSI Clouding ɑ. The Black Blade and Old Suit resonate with your Tyranny, and get a +1 each to DMG and DR. The sealed Moloch Buster has been safely offloaded into your room. The Neatfreak is active and safe in your room. Encumbrance is back to baseline.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Didn’t we learn a technique from duke sauber? I remember having a choice about something.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BigFactory posted:

Didn’t we learn a technique from duke sauber? I remember having a choice about something.

We made a pact with him and gained access to Predatory Arts, and I think we picked up Inevitable from Predatory Arts later on.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

..................................................................................................hnhnk.

Hnh. Dreamed th-

!!!!!!!!!!!

Assess.

HP: 21 / 21
FP: 15 / 15

Wait. What?

TYRANNY: [ X [ X ][30%]

I feel fine. The stone is cool and soothing. Water rushing through, cold and clean. I ache, but my body isn't cradled by the scythe anymore. What happened? Something near me. I sit up, ready to draw gun, an-

WARN posted:

OH!

It's...

My little baby! My chibby girl!

Instinct seals my throat so no sound escapes, but I refuse to hide the tears as I wrap my arms around the weak cooing chicken.

TYRANNY: [ 1% ]

It's an easy half hour before I finally cry it out and let go. Oh, my poor sweet baby. I need to feed her. I need to eat. I need to go out and assess and go to the mart. I... wait. Is it open? It's Sunday, right? Yes, so it... it's open from noon to midnight. Such stupid hours. But maybe that could be used.

OST: The Skies Are Growing Angrier.

I peek outside. Mmm. Sometime past noon. Dark, though. Chilly. It... it feels eerie. Not like the sultry singing starlights did. This feels like slow malice, confused and trying to think of a way to express itself, a who to express at. It feels personal, but it doesn't realize I'm the reason. So if I do go to the mart, I better do it now before there's even a hint of evening.

At least I feel great. I don't even notice the intruder squirming in my heart muscles, so tame its quiet. I close the door and pet Kwiat, leaning down to smell the coffee plant before I g-

(COFFEE) 11 [1]+[3]+[2] = 6 - Success!

Coffee! So many beans!! ...what if I were to take them to the mart and use one of their grinders? I bag them up and stop to think. Ok. Here's the realistic. This is going to be a monstrous storm, but it's not here yet because it doesn't know yet. That's a chunk of time to decide what to do with. Kwiat is coming with me whatever I decide. We both need food from something, and we need to get it done before the wind learns to scream. I hold her and spin and reassure her of her strength, my heart stained with a color I don't have a title for. Oh warm like foolish gold... I pack Kwiat up, and think while I eat a coffee bean. The flavor is enough to remind me that I am strong enough to conquer LORD for HEAVEN.

So, what do I do with my time allotted...
[Voting ends tomorrow afternoon]

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Somehow walking into the place owned by the company that wants us deader than dead seems like a bad idea. I voted for foraging, I don't think chickens can survive off of meat.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Randalor posted:

Somehow walking into the place owned by the company that wants us deader than dead seems like a bad idea. I voted for foraging, I don't think chickens can survive off of meat.

Chickens can eat anything pretty much. They eat worms.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BigFactory posted:

Chickens can eat anything pretty much. They eat worms.

Wait... you mean worms aren't just tiny dirt factories and actually count as meat? MY LIFE IS A LIE!

In my defense, I had just woken up and was still half asleep when I posted that.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Lord Dead, Night Out

I'll convert the Bloodstained Gold. It'll get me a lot of credits for food. - 7
Maybe I can trade some of the coffee for credits. Or at least get a cup brewed and like some fancy creamers. - 12
Forget it. I'll spend the day quietly foraging instead. - 4
I'll go hunting. We'll eat well. - 4

...LOADING

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

For the record, I think turning the Oilstained Shield into a suit would make something super gross and grimy, and any defense properties would not be worth the Ick Factor.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

FAT BATMAN posted:

For the record, I think turning the Oilstained Shield into a suit would make something super gross and grimy, and any defense properties would not be worth the Ick Factor.

I suspect it'll have a property similar to the moloch buster where if we turned it into a suit now it wouldn't be as good as if we'd found a way to clean the oil off the shield before suitifying it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

FAT BATMAN posted:

Not sure the bloodstained gold would be much better. Doesn't leave us with a lot of good options, especially since imo the Shroud is great as-is and the ideal would be to get a suit with some resistances that stack with the Shroud.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Well, either that stack or help give different resistances. Either/or. Ah well, once we get food, we can see about hitting up the trader and seeing what they have in stock this time.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

PetraCore posted:

Not sure the bloodstained gold would be much better. Doesn't leave us with a lot of good options, especially since imo the Shroud is great as-is and the ideal would be to get a suit with some resistances that stack with the Shroud.

Or even cover some of the bases the shroud doesn't.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah, stack or cover. I definitely don't think the Shroud would give a bad suit at all, it's just really useful as an accessory even if you extrapolate that a suit version might have even better defenses to compensate for the loss of versatility.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
In my opinion if we use the suitifier now it's the Oilstained Shield or nothing, and there's good arguments for not even doing that yet.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I sit there and think it through. No... don't sell the curse gold for snack chips. I don't feel like wandering around while the storm gathers. At the least I want to see if something like the coffee can be sold for credit. My mercifully-light pack goes on, after I hold Kwiat for a little while longer. Absolutely cannot leave her alone until she's fed. I don't know how I got back here, but I need to throw aside the fear and focus on using my daylight. I wrap Red's shroud over my face in veil again, to make sure no camera can understand who I am. I make sure it's draped over my back to hide Kwiat as well. I lean down and prod the large cleaner machine. It's still in idle, likely confused from being trapped on my back for so long, so I leave it to figure itself out while I go. The door is flung open, and I walk out into the angry wind. Gun hidden, sword drawn.

Just the furious sky, nothing else. I ruminate for a second over my bizarre return, and then leave it when I notice how dark it already is. Leaving the school is fast and without incident, Kwiat peeking through the film of the shroud as I stalk the shadows out into the woods. No holy land. I can't bear that yet. The trees sing lonely to me during my quiet walk, and I can't help but throw my arms around one in passing to quietly beg for their conceal. Maybe they listen, as I reach the soccer field from the other end, jumping the fence while I take a minute to rest under a huge tree, observing the store with paranoid wait.

(PE) 13 [5]+[1]+[2] = 8 - Success!

Nothing. Not a thing. God, I don't want to deal with Deimos again. I hug Kwiat and call her a beautiful little chibber before I take the dare of walking across the silent field, approaching the bright-lit front door with the force of confidence-black.

I stand there all dramatic for a minute before I remember to put my sword away, especially since the only thing there to threaten me is a advert stand with -20% off my next purchase if I sign up for the 9-tier 'Excrunchsivity' Crunch Coin Superplan. Which is a threat, but an existential one, which I've yet to figure out how to stab. I gently check Kwiat and tell her she's going to get a wonderful treat one way or another, while I go check up on the conversion kiosk.

Ok. Let's see. Coffee beans. Yeah. I save enough to make myself a cup, and take the rest to dump into the conversion slot. I pet Kwiat more while I wait, listening to the weird-shaped machine grind and whirr over my deposi-

THE HELL IS THAT?!

GUN OUT SWORD OUT BACK TO THE WALL KEEP THE CHICKEN SAFE WHO'S READY TO DIE?!!?

...oh!

The alarm stops short suddenly, but the red lights flicker instead of shutting off. The kiosk has a bright message on it, telling me I'm the '100th Guest' and that I've won a 'All U Can Snak' bonus! That seems-

Wha? I smack the screen once, and then hear something horrible happen inside with all the coffee beans. An error screen pops up, half-overridden by the alarm, all while the red lights flicker and the siren sometimes plays for a split-second before terrible sil...

(PE) 13 [4]+[6]+[6] = 16 - FAILURE.

...ence... the doors. Are locked. I didn't notice until it was already too late. Bars have softly slid down to trap the windows close. The kiosk still can't seem to decide if its processing my beans, telling me I'm an intruder, or rewarding me for being the 100th customer. Either way, I'm trapped in here for now with Kwiat. Which would be fine, but,

I just heard something heavy and mechanical drop down and start to make its way towards me. I reach down, grab a bag of green salt chips, pop them open, and speed-feed my chibber while I process the threat of my situation.

I need to assess and decide, NOW.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
Hiding seems like the right choice. It'll probably lead to a fight anyway, we're locked in here after all, but it might give us a few moments to assess what we're fighting and how best to handle it. Maybe get Kwiat out of the line of fire, as well.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Five Hours At Fractal's

I'm going to hide. [Stealth Check] - 18
I'm going to run further into the fractal convenience store. - 4
I'm going to confront whatever is coming head-on. - 6

...LOADING

Stage Beans
May 16, 2007

having voted for head-on collision, I recommend the element of surprise at the earliest convenience

Stage Beans
May 16, 2007

fractal enclosures respond effectively to intentional manuevers. let loose your lines of flight!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I dump the last of the chips into my mouth and throw the bag down. I dive to the other side of the pay counter. Whatever is homing in is heavy and fast, but not flying. It's not exactly walking, either. I trade sword for gun, counting two bullets left. I tense up.

TYRANNY: [ X [ X ][30%]

Ready. Ready. Move the pack about so Kwiat is protected under the backworn shield. Slow breathing. Feel the form moving through the fractal ways, the hum of its approach sometimes coming from above or below in the spacefolds. Then, when it's on level floor near the front, it slows down and the lights change again. They flicker between normal, red, and off with a heartbeat steady. The alarms die out but the intercoms remain on, ringing with inaudible interference.

https://i.imgur.com/Eifx4Jx.mp4

Then comes confetti showers. It's brilliant and bright, spitting from thousands of tiny nozzles that slip through the ceiling. I nearly shoot, but instead react to shroud myself in cover. ...okay, it is just confetti. It's made of some strange material that's very colorful and glows with light, before it dissolves away into vapor after it touches the ground. It showers nonstop, obscuring my sight into a patchwork through the ocean of light. But the form is still approaching. With a ring from the intercom, it speaks. Music plays, emanating from wherever he is.

OST: MC(arter's)D's Theme

["100th Guest! Congratulations on your patronage. This is Co-CEO Carter, here with a hololive to help guide you through your benefits bonuses! It's a real honor to meet someone like you; this is a critical time for our company's growth, and we wanted to celebrate that by doing something special for our BIG 1-0-0. Remember; that's special. You're the 1st special guest. There may be a 1000th we celebrate, or even a 1000000th, but they'll never be the #1 like you."]

His voice is liquid radio; so rotundly warm it makes the spine drowsy. I loathe its honey. My gut has a quick peak from the chips hitting them as I think; Carter, Co-CEO, MC&D store. Bad situation. Would the doors open if I stepped out to see him? Probably. But then they'd know, and even with a hidden face it might become quick-obvious who I am. Camera face-search is one thing, a speaking entity of unknown ability is another.

I have to escape into the store. I have to stay out of sight until the alarm is up, and I have no idea how long that might be. I make my first move to peek out from the counter- there. A bright outline through the neverending confetti! I can't see who or what he is, only that he's somewhere over there near the conversion kiosk, blurred to colorshadow. I see my chance to duck a right out into an aisle hide, and take it.

(DX - Stealth) 11 [5]+[1]+[6] = 12 - Failure [By 1]!

I forgot to secure the shield before I moved and it flops once, bumping Kwiat just hard enough to make her cluck. 'Carter' audibly turns, the sound of something like energized magnetic streams humming, confetti-light pushed around in currents. poo poo. poo poo! I need- I don't have a choice! I stand tall and throw out my arms with the fierce, mind searing hot from the ugly effort of wrenching back my own lock. The mushrooms blip with interest, but I push them aside to dredge my thoughts down into the dark well where I threw that brightest silver coin. Where is... there! I need it. Just a single reflection out into the light.

(PSI Clouding ɑ) 13 [1]+[3]+[4] = 13 - Success!
[-1 FP]
vs
(Carter's PE) ?? [6]+[5]+[3] = 14 - ???
[Confetti Penalty -5]

I make the gesture; maybe it really does help. I stand stone-still, neurons twisting with the mutant bluebright. Let it work... cloud myself with just the right thinking angle, just the right standing light, just the right breathing flow, to simply blend into the background noise of perception. Does it work? Carter's voice is uncertain, searching.

["Guest? #100? Where are you?"]

I break for it.

(DX - Stealth) 11 [4]+[4]+[3] = 11 - Success.

Good. I'm good. I'm capable. I'm down on all fours, prowling for the cover of a stand with an advert for lunar cheese, then swinging right into a hall. The lights are killing my sight, as the glowfetti constantly dazzles against the shifting bright white, dim red, and pitch black.

I unshield Kwiat for the moment, holding it above my head as a brief umbrella while I stalk my way down enough aisles to give myself breathing room. I can still hear him talking, looking. I have no choice but to get lost in the storm of light, praying I'll outlast being hunted down as both the 100th customer and an intruder. I still don't know what security has been deployed against me.

While worrying over Kwiat's placement, I stumble across a stairwell that cuts high into a fractal climb, its advert signage colorfully emerging from the confetti-mist. It reads that they have several things set up for the 100th, all kinds of goods and gifts to bring with them. drat! Of course this would happen after I ended up becoming known to them. I have my pack, though. What if I try to scour some of what they're going to give me, without getting caught?

I read the signs, and think through which one to visit while Kwiat looks over my shoulder.

[Voting ends late tonight.]

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Voted C for "substantial." Might be something to hide around/in.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

M, C, D. Carter showed up, and I've a hunch they'll follow in their section, but perhaps M and D might get the respective others?
Hmm. Well, if it is the case don't know if it's all that important at the moment. Need to go somewhere, anyways.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I voted C as well, I want to make sure we don't have to worry about Kwiat going hungry next time we go to Megalith.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
There is clearly only one option available as the bearer of the chicken : daring and unique!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
see, to me it sounded like food and I do not think I would like to try C from a menu. none of those words mean "good".

Stage Beans
May 16, 2007

hope we get a big Jim Bakker Bucket

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Stage Beans posted:

hope we get a big Jim Bakker Bucket
wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOH37W0jPpA

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - The Superstar Nobody Saw

M-Products: Utilitarian, Compact, Fine Dining - 5
C-Products: Exotic, Substantial, Family Dining - 14
D-Products: Unique, Daring, Fell Dining - 9

...LOADING

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
You know, I thought we were maybe in for a bit of something vaguely approaching downtime and then Carter.

Things really never stop happening, huh.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm also now wondering who the hell were the other 96 customers? We were here twice, and Deimos once, maybe I'm just not properly understanding where the store is in relation to the Holy Valley, so it's less unlikely for various cultists and such to wander by...

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

taiyoko posted:

I'm also now wondering who the hell were the other 96 customers? We were here twice, and Deimos once, maybe I'm just not properly understanding where the store is in relation to the Holy Valley, so it's less unlikely for various cultists and such to wander by...

If we were numbering the updates, what number would that particular update be? Or it could be one of those shops that move around at night.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

taiyoko posted:

We know that cats are in the area and also carry MC&D tokens (from the boar we caught way back when), so presumably they've been in there a few times. Maybe some wild animals?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

habituallyred posted:

If we were numbering the updates, what number would that particular update be? Or it could be one of those shops that move around at night.

To be fair, when I went back to do my re-read, I just did "filter by BA posts" thing. So our first trip to the fractal conveniences store starts here. It's the trip where we got the mushroom soda that gave us mushrooms in our brain.

Second trip starts here, just after returning from Camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I race up the threeway stairs to Suite C, where there's a reception waiting for the 100th Guest. The confetti thins out but doesn't stop, sending the dark airs into starlight. I huff to the top of the steps and relax for a second, unable to feel the hum of Carter nearby.

Marshall. Carter. Dark. I know they have it out for me as a product ever since I got caught, but I never thought I'd meet any of them in person. I squat on the last dark step, petting Kwiat while I ruminate. Why did I have to get caught? It ruins so much. Being a known quantity outside of my decision is a violation I'm going to repay fatally. Maybe if I play it right, I'll have my shot at hurting them. I have to sleep eventually, and dream once again of Ulthar...

Keep moving. Have to wait for the lockdown to end, lockdown has to end before nightfall. Need to stay ahead. I head through a small fancy curtain-door into Suite C, my senses immediately hammered by the power of a colorfully dark array of buffet. The room is low and wide with one central stage area with an arched ceiling. Everything is made from glintzy marble and ultraplas woods, done up with a forest of living fabric plants.

I trust the store enough to not hesitate, going for the food right away. Look at all this! I gently restrain Kwiat so she doesn't leap at the steaming display, and quickly find a spoon to sample-feed her as I go along the rows. It looks like it's all high-end convenience store food, but freakishly fresh. We have some hidden duck rice, tamped crumbles, spring, summer, AND autumn rolls, red cheese crisps, jelly foams, and garlic boar jerky. The food trays are fractal in nature; whenever I dig into the pile, it seems to shift and shrink in on itself, ultrafresh replacements softly sliding to the top to take over.

That's about as far as I get before I pause to look for a drink - there's a vending machine! I carry my nibbly chib over and look at the thing. Glossy black with no features save for a golden MCD, a tiny microphone, and a dispense slot. There's a notice posted on it, thanking the 100th Guest for their participation, and inviting them to try out the beta of their new Maxvend© machines, slated to be a standard in every Fractal Convenience! Sure, great. I tap the thing a few times waiting to see if it's working, and look at the microphone. I look over my shoulder, bundle up Kwiat, and lean in to whisper.

Uh... 'Coffee'

There's a pause. The machine lights up with a golden display, letters blipping into place.

[DID YOU MEAN, 'COPPER'?]

No. No, I said 'Coffee'

[DID YOU MEAN, 'TARAPAULIN'?]

What? No! Yes, you really mangled the r on it but that- just give me 'COFFEE'

[DID YOU MEAN, 'CHERRY'?]

I force myself to relax with two hands grasping the black box with murderous intent. I go as slow as I can without speaking pure soup.

'CCCOOFFF - EEEE'

[YOU SAID, 'COFFEE'. HOW WOULD YOU LIKE IT?]

...poo poo. Well, I look at Kwiat and say I figure it'd be nice to have some cream and su- 'INTRUDER.'

I wheel around, gun out and chicken held tight. I look down a little ways. Oh my God. It's a security robot. Robot who... it's a box. A black box with stumpy little claw roller legs and two stumpy pincer arms. It blinks with a bunch of tiny siren lights, speaking with a ridiculous automated voice that comes out of a glass cube install.

'INTRUDER. PLEASE STEP AWAY. FROM COMPANY PROPERTY. AND. THE 100TH GUEST.'

I laugh. Oh this poor thing must be so confused! Does it really think I'm both an intruder and the 100th? It's not doing anything, so I pat it on the head as it clicks and whirrs, turning half back to see if the coffee is being made anyways. No? Guess I have to say something.

'INTRUDER.'

I sigh and turn around, petting Kwiat. What?

(Intruder-Disabling Suckerpunch) 12 [6]+[2]+[2] = 10 - SUCCESS.

WHAMMO!

A piston blasts out from an unseen port, and smashes me directly in the solar.

[3 Damage!]

HP: 18 / 21
FP: 14 / 15

I collapse, spitting out the last of the hidden duck rice I was eating. The air leaves me and I fall over gagging, while the security bot leans down and... scoops Kwiat up carefully, holding her above it like a grand prize. It takes off for the stage across the buffet room, leaving me to spit rice all over as I fight to get my lungs back under control. I can hear the hum of Carter's approach again, as the robot speaks to my unaware chicken.

'HELLO. 100TH. GUEST. PLEASE FOLLOW ME. TO DEALS AND PRIZES. AS PRESENTED BY. CO-CEO CARTER.'