Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Wow, cool, Game of the Year, never wrote anything for one of those. This made me actually verify which games I actually played in 2021. Turns out I do NOT have a good memory, and 2019-2021 is one huge opaque slurry of half-remembered events for me. But I narrowed it down! Here's my Top 10 for 2021, since it's very unlikely I'll finish anything else in what remains of this year.

10. Heroes of Hammerwatch

Now, this isn't a particularly good game.
But it's a game that I ended up playing a poo poo ton of in multiplayer. It was basically a go-to for everyone in my group who was really loving tired of quarantine and insane employer bullshit. Sometimes you just want to systematically eradicate thousands of pixel enemies as a group. It's a fun, mindless dungeon crawler with hordes of enemies, lots of little secrets, and some bullet hell (at least how we played it). I pretty much have to award this one #10, even though I definitely played games more deserving than this one, but I haven't finished any of those other games yet, so I'll reserve those for 2022. You're in luck, Heroes of Hammerwatch.

9. Little Nightmares 2

It's a simplistic jump'n'run with absolutely fantastic visual style. I loved this game's atmosphere, its way of storytelling, and how batshit insane the later parts get. The trial-and-error aspect of some stealth segments can be annoying, but I found it simple enough to power through. Definitely something to play with someone else - the game on its own is very simple, in a group it was much more fun to experience the glorious hosed-up environments and enemies.
Man, I just want this studio to give me grotesque giant caricatures of adults forever, which I may gruesomely and in a very karmic fashion lead to their demise by strategically running and hiding

8. Noita

This pixel-physics game is insane, reckless, evil and fun as hell. I loved playing around with the physics and the insane spell combos that it allows you to do. After getting some endings legitimately, I started playing with some QOL mods just to get further. If you're the type who laughs at accidentally killing themselves in a ridiculous fashion, this is for you.
Explosion Immunity + Melee Immunity + Fire Immunity. Never stop wading through a sea of flames. Be blind and don't care that you are

7. Inscryption

I admit I'm a total sucker for meta-narratives, and for anyone who's heard of Daniel Mullins, it's no surprise that Inscryption is ALL about that. But at its core, Inscryption is also a very atmospheric card game that gets a TON of milage out of a rock-solid, simple set of game mechanics. It's not difficult. In fact, it cheats in your favor more and more with every iteration. But it's just plain FUN to see the different ways that the game mechanics are used and re-interpreted! The game basically WANTS you to break it, and I love that. It kinda scratches the same itch as Noita, in a less suicidial/reckless way: here's a set of rules, here's some tools you can get, now break it as you want, 's cool.
While I loved the plot of the game itself, I didn't really like the real-world footage parts, aaaaand I never really bothered with the ARG parts. Good thing the internet does that sort of thing for you these days. I'm just here for breaking the game and seeing all the utter insanity that Inscryption throws at you... in particular the end of Act 3. Everybody says Act 1 is the strongest part of the game, and I won't disagree entirely, but... holy poo poo, the end. I loving lost it at Pirate Grimoira fizzling out, goddammit that was brilliant
Recommended for everyone who loves breaking games and having the game cheer you on all the while.

6. Beat Saber

I got a VR headset during quarantine. Beat Saber gave me an excuse to flip the gently caress out to some sick beats. I'll freely admit that I hate probably 90% of all tracks available by default, but with the power of custom songs & the incredible community, the sky's limit. There's just something primally satisfying about beating the poo poo out of flying boxes. That, and the drive to finally be good enough to finish your favorite songs.
I will finish Ra-Ra-Rasputin on Extreme+ and if it kills me

5. Deltarune

As some sort of isolated hermit, I had never played Deltarune Chapter 1, or even Undertale. I had seen Undertale stuff before (because it's impossible to miss it, it's like Homestuck in that regard), and knew there was a surprise game disguised as a demo, so... Here I go.
It's really drat funny, charming, has great music, a surprisingly interesting mystery, AND incredibly charming characters. There's so few games out there that can actually pull of proper slapstick, and this one does it. It basically dances circles around most games that think they're funny, holy poo poo. It's sometimes a little ugly, but, eeeeeeh. I can understand why this one (and Undertale, of course) charmed the internet...
Bonus points: I accidentally stumbled into fighting the super boss of Chapter 2. Ooooooh boy, what a trip.

4. Psychonauts 2

I love Psychonauts, despite the jankiness and the parts where it shows its age. It's my go-to for an ambitious, wildly creative and truly funny game, where the implementation doesn't always work 100%, but dammit, they will go for it. The whole first game is just so... COMPLETE. An incredible adventure that might've been perfect with more technical polish, and a bunch of QOL it's severely lacking in places. (And let's be honest, some parts may need a more sensitive approach in 2021.)
Psychonauts 2 improved on almost everything. It's more conventional game-wise, but it gets even more wild with aesthetics, level design, psychedelic scenes, weird dream-logic scene transitions, etc. etc. If this game doesn't get "Outstanding Visual Style", the world is clearly WRONG. The story felt a little patched-together (with what feels like rather rushed attempts to fill the gaps), but it works, it hits hard emotionally when it wants to - even in innocuous-seeming little side conversations. Probably my favorite story bit in the entire game is the conversation with Raz' dad about his fake memories, and that one's hidden away in the post-game!
Just an absolute joy. Downsides are that the gameplay itself seems to play it a bit TOO safe, sometimes, and the badge mechanic should've been reworked entirely - just let me activate/deactivate as many badges as I want, otherwise most players will NEVER use 90% of them...

3. Metroid Dread

I love Super Metroid.
This is on the same level as Super Metroid. I'm as surprised as you are. Metroid: Samus Returns was alright, but it felt very lifeless and repetitive; Metroid Dread is just a triumph in almost every way. I even liked the EMMI! It integrated nicely with the existing mechanics, and puzzling out the perfect way to take them down was really rewarding.
Honestly, not much to say about this one. It's top-tier Metroid. I really hope Metroid Prime 4 can replicate that feat for the 3D Metroids from Retro.

2. Baba Is You

It's the best puzzle game I've ever played, and it recently got an official update with 150 new levels and a level editor, so I played a poo poo ton of it this year.
Just fantastic puzzling all over the place. The idea of exposing the game's rules, and allowing you to manipulate the individual rule parts like actual in-game objects, is just so wild and imaginative! It breaks the brain in the best ways, like every puzzle game worth a drat should. It also nukes your brain's ability to parse sentences like a normal person.
Just try talking about puzzle solutions with someone else. It's incredible. You will both sound like alien linguists trying to make sense of a shitpost

1. Outer Wilds

Baba Is You would've easily made my #1 spot, but then this goddamn gem of a game had to come along.
Outer Wilds is one of the greatest exploration games of all time. I love its display of an ever-changing solar system with merciless forces of nature at work. I love how it makes you operate off of information alone. I love how it makes you feel like an absolute genius for finding the hidden details. I love how it keeps track of new information, linking them with other rumors as you go. I love its incredible use of known scifi concepts in novel (and somewhat terrifying) ways, like quantum mechanics, or - in the DLC - virtual worlds. I love its willingness to let physics murder you if you don't pay attention. I love how it is an incredibly tightly woven net of mysteries, a well-oiled machine of individual story beats, with nothing out of place.
Baba Is You may be my puzzle game #1, but I would put Outer Wilds as my favorite detective game of all time. Knowledge-based exploration with physics is incredible. I've never seen something similar and I fear we never will... Unless the developers can repeat this feat.
It is also a game so fundamentally terrifying, I would almost call it a horror game. So few games truly show an uncaring, volatile environment that WILL gently caress you up. In this game, every goddamn planet houses another primal fear of feeling powerless and tiny. So many flavours of being terrified.

Special Mentions:
Half-Life Alyx, for being really fun, but I haven't finished it yet. Reserving judgement until I'm done.
Hades, for being fantastic, but sadly in the wrong year. Played last on December 30th 2020. Whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

cheetah7071 posted:

AA and high-production value indies own

I agree that quality gaming isn't within the AAA space anymore (for the most part).

But if I made the list today people will be like: "Where is Fallout 4? Assassin's Creed: Valhalla? Fortnite?" These are the types of titles I largely ignore because they simply don't interest me. The only "major" cultural titles that aren't first party efforts that I've played is Call of Duty: Warzone, which I found to be mediocre.

Also, I can guarantee you that pretty much every game on that list that is on PC is on sale right now and that you can snag them for under $10.

Darke GBF posted:

3D World makes serious concessions in its level design to accommodate the fact that it is designed to be playable with 4 people at once. You need to make levels bigger and wider just so people won't be crashing into each other, which throws off the pacing and makes everything look emptier. 3D Land's strongest features are the tight pacing and the replayability, and they feed into each other. I never felt like I was wasting time going back into a level to get a special coin I had missed, because the levels were designed to be relatively short and repeatable. Perfect for a short work break or trip to the toilet. It was also nice that the difficulty was pretty much perfectly tailored for me and nothing was too easy nor too difficult. The Galaxy games and 64/Odyssey are great and all, but they've got fluff. 3D Land doesn't have an ounce of fat on its bones. It's lean.

I agree with all of this. 3D World just felt so...barren in comparison.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

punk rebel ecks posted:

I agree that quality gaming isn't within the AAA space anymore (for the most part).

But if I made the list today people will be like: "Where is Fallout 4? Assassin's Creed: Valhalla? Fortnite?" These are the types of titles I largely ignore because they simply don't interest me. The only "major" cultural titles that aren't first party efforts that I've played is Call of Duty: Warzone, which I found to be mediocre.

I don't think people really care about that lol. The 2019 GOTY winner was Disco Elysium, in 2020 it was Hades, both are popular games but not "AAA" by any stretch of the imagination. Indies and stuff that 12 people outside of these forums have played place very highly every year. By comparison, Assassin's Creed Valhalla didn't even make last year's Top 100.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah I don't care about any of those games in particular, though there are big titles I do love

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Happy holidays goons one and all! I hope everyone is enjoying much deserved time off work and is spending time with their loved ones. Here in the Corn household we do the holidays a bit differently but I am more than happy to guide you through our celebrations.

The Airing of Grievances - in which we detail all the ways we have been disappointed this year. The following are games which not only did not make the cut but were not even close to making the cut. These are games which did not gel or click, failed to impress, and were discarded unfinished likely to never be played again

Deathloop - I broke my rule of buying games full price with this one, and it started off strong - easily the nicest and smoothest playing Arkane game I've played. And it was fun in the beginning, especially invading good friends when everyone else was playing it, but it quickly became clear that the main conceit of the game was paper thin, and the gameplay rote and when rumours of the ending twist being so dumb as to be insulting, I quickly lost interest. Sorry Arkane, you've failed to impress on too many occasions. I'll know better for next time.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon - my only previous experience with the Yakuza series is with Yakuza 0, and I found that game mildly charming but ultimately hampered by a tiny boring map and an interminably bad brawler combat system. Being a fan of jrpgs of old, I thought the move to a run-based combat system might actually make the game less painful to play. I was wrong. RGG studios somehow managed to make the combat even worse. Sorry Yakuza fans, I can see why you like the games, but they are just not for me.

Hades - Last years GoTY winner, cheap, and out on PS5, so I had ought to try it out. What had I to lose? Well, several hours of my time apparently. This one really perplexed me cuz of all the things that gets praised about this game, I found those things to be lacking the most. The art style is sickly cartoonish. Too bright bold colours glare and clash with the mundanity of the design. The rooms are bland and empty, and the enemies are stale and monotonous. The gameplay felt stiff and wooden (is it a bad port on the PS5?) and the thing I hear being lauded the most about the game - its voice work - was perhaps the most disappointing of all. The whole production suffers from some very bad direction, the mixing is poor and lines are rushed across the board. It's very distracting. Perhaps it's a matter of perspective. If you play mostly indie or Nintendo games, I can see Hades looking like a premium offering, but to me I was expecting more.

And now onto the

Feats of Strength - games that have proven their worth in combat with all the other games to come out on top, shining, glistening, and glorious

10. Trials of Mana

This was such a treat when it could have just been another quick phone-in. Just the right amount of detail and care and attention went in to updating this game for modern sensibilities and boy did they knock it out of the park. Ostensibly it is still the same simple campy snes era jrpg as the original and it retains the warm feeling of a Christmas panto. However visually and gameplay wise it is stunning. Of course the graphics aren't bleeding edge or even the slightest bit noteworthy other than it captures the style of the original mana games perfectly. Almost as if it it's actually the same game but with a massive resolution enhancement. And the gameplay is quick and snappy exactly how the original mana games felt to play (although not that they'd feel that way if you played them now). This is how you do a remake. More of this please.

9. Cyberpunk 2077
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxijOlfc8G0

Not much needs to be said about Cyberpunk 2077. By the time I finally played it, this summer on PS5, it was running more or less fairly well. It hardly crashed for me and looked pretty good. My main complaint about the game is that it tries to be too many things at once. Still though, for the spectacle of it all, and perhaps because of and not despite of all the game's numerous teething problems, I found myself enjoying it. The first person nature of the game is perhaps a bit jarring because you are V, but V is also themself and often reacts to things in ways more human than most video game protagonists, and I suppose you can get quite meta on the whole idea what with the way the narrative pans out. The game is after all at its core, about someone with someone else inside their head. I found myself thinking about this often while playing Cyberpunk 2077, and as a result I was content to let V just be V, and let them play their life out rather than try too hard to impose my will on them. The game has a satisfying conclusion. 

8. Astro's Playroom

Thinking about all these games as I write out this list, I have a feeling that I may have ranked this one a bit too highly. However, as I'm typing this out and remembering how it felt to unbox that PS5 in January this year and loading this little game up, the sheer joy and wonder I felt at the possibilities of the new console generation come flooding back to me. Astro's Playroom performs a brilliant trick of being both a fanfare heralding in the new, and also a celebration of the old with every level a wondrous trip though Playstation's history. I'm not keen on the idea of having such strong feelings of nostalgia for the products of a faceless megacorperation such as Sony, but having had every Playstation console since the very first one, i would be remiss to think it it wasnt a very big part of me.

7. It Takes Two

My fiancee, Lady Corn, or Fridgelina as she is more affectionately know as, has slowly over time begun to show more interest in gaming. However, due differences in skill or preference it's not always often we find something that we can play and enjoy together. Luckily for us, It Takes Two slots perfectly into the middle of the venn diagram of our gaming preferences. Delightfully whimsical while also deeply serious in theme, It Takes Two delivers a gaming experience like no other, at times platformer, brawler, or 3rd person shooter, the game is constantly switching things up and giving you new things to do and puzzles to solves. Playing this with my beloved was certainly one of the highlights of the year.

6. Metro: Exodus

A surprise last minute inclusion as I only finished the game last week. An absolutely beautiful game with some breathtaking locations and a lovely cast of characters. It is gritty and dark and tragic but ultimately a hopeful one. The game plays with a kind of opaque morality system that doesnt often get used in first person shooter games and as a result it forces you to think more about your place in this ruined world and your ultimate objective, rather than just finding things to place in the sights of your gun. The final level of this game is a triumph of design and is hands down one of the most intense, harrowing, and exhilarating video game experiences I've ever encountered.

5. Divinity: Original Sin 2

I always had a love for the old infinity engine games and other similar crpgs such as arcanum or whatever. I loved the freedom of systems and builds and often would spend just as much time in character creation and trainers as I would the games proper. I think a large part of that could be put down to the fact that many of those games just werent very nice to play. Real time with pause was an abomination. Many other titles were buggy, or too obscure in their mechanics. Not the case with Divinity: Original Sin 2. Straightforward turn based combat, clear and simple ability descriptions. It's as if somebody pulled the veil off all those old crpgs to reveal what they should have been all along. A great soundtrack, decent voice acting, Divinity: Original Sin 2 sets a new standard for crpgs and breathes new life into the genre.

4. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne

I had never played a Monster Hunter Game before. It was late January and I had just gotten a PS5, I had also just begun a 6 week furlough from work. I had a lot of time on my hands and there was Monster Hunter World staring at me on the PS+ Collection screen (so was Persona 5, which I also played...). It was an absolutely incomprehensible experience to start with, but with a little help and some coaching sessions from some excellent posters (shout out to BeanpolePeckerwood and Casnorf), it suddenly clicked and this great and massive game was laid out before me. There is something curious about the way Monster Hunter World plays, it harkens back to an age before control schemes were more or less standardised, when developers were more willing to try something new, either for the fun of it, or from necessity, and I suppose Monster Hunter has its roots in that era. I have never played a game quite like Monster Hunter World, but I certainly hope to again. 

3. Disco Elysium

The GoTY winner from 2019, and recently released on PS5, so much had been said about this game so of course I had to give it a whirl. Unlike some other SA favourites, this one actually stuck the landing for me. Its thoughtful in its quiet, dreary soundtrack, and the voice work is some of the best I've ever heard in a video game; every single character is brought to a vibrant and full life by their actors, it's really quite incredible. A deliciously somber and pensive mood pervades everything about this game and gives the setting a such a great weight that I've only ever seen in a handful of games before. And despite all that weight, the game retains the ability to be outrageously funny as well. Disco Elysium is a singular and unforgettable experience.

2. Ghost of Tsushima

At its core, it's just an open world map icon checklist game, but to be honest, I quite like that kind of game, especially if its done well. And oh boy is Ghost of Tsushima done well. From its Kurosawa-inspired cinematic language to its slick combat and controls, Ghost of Tsushima is just a rollicking good time. This is video gaming at it's most entertaining. The sort of turn the lights down and grab some popcorn type of gaming. Theres lots of valid criticism of this game, especially of it's fairly rote narrative and characters, but nevermind all that. Sometimes all you need it's some mindless action and good clean fun. Gorgeous to look at and gorgeous to play, runs like a dream on the PS5. It doesnt get much better than this....

Or does it???

Its...

A Festivus Miracle!!!!

1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27pjs17sODc

It shouldnt be much of a surprise when this game ends up as someones number 1. This game does everything right. The controls are perfect, the level of challenge is perfect, the sound design is perfect. Fromsoft are masters at creating a singular focused experience and for this game they got even more singular and even more focused. The combat is so expertly tuned that I doubt we will ever see a game quite like Sekiro for a long time. This is a game that makes its player feel both powerful and vulnerable at the same time. Each victory is built upon training and lessons learned from previous encounters but instead of being quantified in abstract nonsense such as EXP, it is codified in the muscle memory of the player, and winning is a testament to the players skill, and not from grinding or gaming systems. There is not a game even close that gives the sense of satisfaction and achievement that Sekiro gives its players that persevere to overcome its challenges.

Simple list
10. Trials of Mana
9. Cyberpunk 2077
8. Astro's Playroom
7. It Takes Two
6. Metro: Exodus
5. Divinity: Original Sin 2
4. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
3. Disco Elysium
2. Ghost of Tsushima
1. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

fridge corn fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 24, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

good god, the last 90 seconds of that vid :ohdear:

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
I played some games this year. Lots of them were good. Write ups in no particular order, Ranked list at the bottom in absolute particular order.

I also drew what I assume is an NFT, based on other NFTs I have seen, for each entry.

New Pokemon Snap

I got this for Christmas and have proceeded to play it a ridiculous amount since then. I'm furious with myself for not getting it sooner because this is a game I have wanted to play since the original came out in 1999.

Pokemon Snap is a weird game. On the surface, the description "take photographs of Pokemon in their natural habitat whilst on-rails" doesn't sell the game well, at all. Pokemon Snap takes this weird concept and manages to bring it to life in absolute totality, however. It turns out that taking photographs of Pokemon is really fun and rewarding and the new game isn't just proof of concept that the N64 title basically was; this is a full fledged realisation of what Pokemon Snap could be, complete with what are, effectively, puzzles to solve in order to get the best photographs possible.

I'm glad this game is everything it is and, although I've completed what could be considered the campaign, it - much like the original - is going to be a game I just go back to on a regular basis because I might see something new, or get a better photo this time. It's exactly what I wanted it to be and has somehow surpassed my expectations - which were always unrealistic because they're based on nostalgia - and become one of my favourite games ever. Not bad going, considering I've owned it for a week.

Actraiser Renaissance

I don't think I've ever bought a game so quickly after seeing it appear on Steam. I had no idea it was being remastered/remade and I'm so glad it was. The original Actraiser on the SNES was a huge part of growing up for me, so being able to replay the game with some fancier graphics was great fun. It's a faithful remake, in my opinion and I enjoyed every second of it. I think what I appreciated from Renaissance the most was it wasn't trying to be anything other than what the original game was and it didn't need to be. This does mean that it's fairly simple and hasn't got much in the way of difficulty or challenge, but the management sections are still really fun and a good relaxing way to spend some time. The combination of 2D Arcade Action and Top-Down management is a weird one, but I'm glad Actraiser exists and does what it does.

Disco Elysium: Directors Cut

Disco Elysium is a difficult game - one you really have to be in the right state of mind for. It's dense beyond belief and plays with concepts and narrative ideas that were a welcome break from typical videogame narratives. The game is often applauded for being weird, letting you be a hobocop, that one turbo- racist guy or loving CUNO. Beyond that though, I felt like Disco Elysium explored an excellent narrative space of a post-communism world and what that looks like on a very personal level. The character work is impeccable and the voice acting really added an additional layer of life to the game. The ending felt a bit rushed, sure, but the journey to that ending was one that kept me engaged, amused, defeated and, most important of all, it kept me thinking.

Slipways

I love Stellaris. In fact, I love anything that lets me get involved in the colonisation of space. I think it's fascinating and cool and interesting. I picked up Slipways as a result of many Goon recommendations over in the puzzle games thread and it combined Stellaris, space colonisation and genuinely great gameplay mechanics in small, half hour sized chunks. It's a lot of fun and I'm terrible at it, but it's one of the most satisfying puzzle games I've ever played.

NieR: Automata

Automata is an important game, in my opinion. It delivers an exceptional narrative through gameplay in a way that nothing else really manages to do. That narrative isn't simple, either. This game deals with some really interesting concepts and is existential to the absolute extreme. Beyond all that though the game is an absolute joy to play. It's responsive and satisfying and manages to mix up the gameplay just enough that nothing gets too boring. Similar to Disco Elysium, NieR: Automata made me think, which is something I really appreciate.

Apex Legends

I play a season. I take a season off. I play a season. I take a season off. Game is consistent fun to play and the addition of Arenas has done a lot to keep me interested. It has its problems as all GaaS do, but I've had a lot of fun with Apex for a total cost of £0.00 and that's a good bargain.

Planet Zoo

Planet Zoo, much like Planet Coaster and, well, any other Tycoon game, is solvable. This means that the Scenario levels start off as interesting, fun and generally a good time. Then the Gamer Brain takes over and before you know it, everything is optimised. Usually my favourite thing in management games is the challenge of reaching the moment it's solvable. Planet Zoo, however, I love for the creativity it lets you have. I spent hours making homes for North American Beavers, Otters, Bears and every type of Big Cat you can think of. I loved that the game was also full of fun facts and an underlying environmentalist message and it's going to be something I go back to for years to come. It's beautiful.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

When New Horizons released I played it much like many people at that time did - every day, forever. Then I decided I was done with it and left it alone for a long drat time. I eventually returned to my Island home this year and the updates Nintendo have made to the game, whilst not as extravagant as I think anyone hoped, have done a lot to breathe new life into it. I no longer play it every day for hours, instead, playing it as intended - a couple times a week for a little bit at a time, when I just need to switch off from the world and figure out where to plant some flowers. It's still one of the best chill simulators ever and all the new content has breathed a lot of new life into it.

Solasta: Crown of the Magister

This game is important to me for reigniting my love for Dungeons and Dragons. It's a bit of a mess insofar as the presentation goes, but the gameplay itself is fantastic. The team behind it have captured the feeling of playing DnD reasonably well; everything feels good and overall it's a game that has lots of potential. I'm glad it exists and if you haven't checked it out, but you like CRPG's, you should!

Final Fantasy XV

Note: That's a 15 not a 14.

I played XV when it first released, as far as I can remember I saw the end credits but I couldn't tell you anything else about it - I guess I enjoyed it?

I played it again this year and really paid attention and, Final Fantasy XV is a really good game. I'm sure the many, many updates it's had since its release are a big part of why that is, but I absolutely loved playing this game. The characters work together really well and the story is decent; okay it's probably one of the weaker aspects of the game, but it serves to give you reason to enjoy being in this amazing world. I think it's probably a good thing that the interactions between Noctis, Prompto, Gladio and Recipeh take front and centre; all those people who say the game captures the feeling of being on a road trip are exactly right and I think I needed that sense of exploration and adventure this year. So yeah, FFXV is alright!

Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker

There's the 14.

I've been playing XIV since Stormblood released back in 2017 and over that four years, I've come to appreciate FFXIV as an RPG first, MMO second and love it for being that. It's not a game that's trying to "beat" anything else; it's here doing it's own thing and has been the entire time since A Realm Reborn saved it from video game purgatory. Endwalker is the final point of a storyline I've loved since the beginning (ARR is fine you nerds) and serves as a brilliant capstone to that story, whilst also delivering an exceptional 50+ hour JRPG in its own right.

It builds on everything I loved about Final Fantasy XIV back in Stormblood, and again in Shadowbringers in a completely natural way. There are no surprises in Gameplay or new systems or anything like that - just some Quality of Life improvements, new ways to play old jobs and a sense that no matter what you're playing, you're contributing something and being relevant in that group. The new combat duties and boss fights are great, crafting and gathering is back with a vengeance and the story is... worth its own paragraph.

Whether it's because I've been waiting for this for several years, or because it's just high quality writing for a videogame, the story hit me with all the right notes. It asks questions, it delivers high points, it delivers low points and all through it you, as a player, feel centre stage and relevant to what is happening and what is going to happen. I enjoyed Endwalker start to post credits, where I now sit in Radz-at-Han, crafting a billion Chondrite Ingots because those materia aren't going to farm themselves and I want to make absolute bank on January 4th.

Also, gently caress MMO's.

Honourable Mention: Solasta: Crown of the Magister

10: Slipways
9. Apex Legends
8. Planet Zoo
7. Actraiser: Renaissance
6. Final Fantasy XV
5. Disco Elysium: Directors Cut
4. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
3. New Pokemon Snap
2. NieR: Automata
1. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker

In conclusion: 2021 owned for games, gently caress the police.

iTrust fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 31, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

yall lists are v. good.

hey fridge, what was the furthest you got to in iceborne?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m a big fan of those NFTs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

gonna right-click all of those pics

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

iTrust posted:

I also drew what I assume is an NFT, based on other NFTs I have seen, for each entry.

Thank you. Please remember that per thread rules all NFTs are directly owned by the organisers of the GOTY competition. Our lawyers will be in touch shortly to discuss financial renumeration for their fair use.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
After being encouraged by a few of the goty posters here, I played The House at Fata Morgana and while it's slipping in at number 11 because 2021 was a great year, I wrote a top 17 this year so I still get to post about it. I'll edit it into my main list when I'm not on mobile, but for now:

11. The House at Fata Morgana

This is a visual novel, that is, a book with a soundtrack which gets classified as a video game because it's software instead of physical media. But, as long as that's the case, I will rank it alongside other games. It's a story about absolute misery, depression and despair. A story where almost nothing good happens to anyone, and every time it does, it's yanked away moments later. Almost every way one human can be cruel or malicious to another is depicted at least once. And yet, in the end, ultimately, it's a story about not letting your tragedies define you. Not about forgiving, per se, but moving on and achieving mastery over your abusers by not letting them ruin your life. If that sounds like a story that would resonate with you--and you can stand to see the prerequisite abuse depicted intensely--I cannot recommend it enough. I'm lucky enough to not have the story resonate with my personal experiences, so it's down here at number 11 on my list. Buy it absolutely has the potential to be number one for somebody else, and if that sounds like you I highly recommend it.

It does occasionally veer into the clichéd and trite, and unfortunately the first few hours spend a lot of time in that territory. But if this description sounds worthwhile, please push past that to at least the end of the second door.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got my rota and there’s definitely no way I’ll be able to give Echoes of the Eye the time it deserves after Christmas AND write this list so here goes.

I’m gonna rank every game I played this year because 1. I didn’t play many and 2. to beat Veeg to it muahahahaha etc!!!!! EotE wasn’t the only thing I missed or didn’t manage to complete this year, such as Disco Elysium, an incredible game that I make into homework with my completionist tendencies, or Blasphemous, which is unbelievably rad. That being said, I did manage to get through a lot of really great stuff this year, many recommended to me by the gang in the PS5 thread who are the best! but also suck! I love them! the shitheads.

Not the list:

19. Assassins Creed Valhalla (2020)
Big step down from Odyssey, gorgeous but ultra boring, chasing those loving flying bits of paper is horrible

18. Maquette (2021)
Super cool concept but the puzzles get old fast and the writing is godawful

17. Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania (2021)
Did they gently caress with the physics engine or am I just old and broken-handed now? Either way I enjoyed playing as Kiryu for a bit and then put it down.

16. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (2020)
I’ve talked enough poo poo about this game over the past year so I’ll just say it is essentially the dictionary definition of Not For Me, and I’m a little disappointed I let goon hype trick me into buying something I was quite sure I wouldn’t enjoy. That Yakisoba Pan guy fuckin ruled though

——— THIS IS WHERE THIS CROSSES OVER INTO “STUFF I LIKED” ———

15. KID A MNESIA EXHIBITION (2021)
This was a really cool way to spend a couple hours. So much beautiful weird poo poo. Unfortunately I’m not much of a Radiohead fan so the bit where it made me listen to three of their songs in a row put me off a bit and I’m always gonna rank actual games over ‘interactive experiences’ and poo poo

14. Doki Doki Literature Club! (2017)
Why would I buy ANOTHER visual novel after bouncing off 13 Sentinels so hard? Am I a loving idiot? Luckily this one was way better and a great subversion of the genre. Very creepy and fun.

13. Ratchet & Clank (2016)
This was my first R&C and I didn’t realise just how little platforming it would actually have. It was still good overall, but there was definitely massive room for improvement, ANYWAY TO BE CONTINUED

12. Final Fantasy VII (1997)
This was a very mixed experience. I truly detested every second of actually playing this game. Even with all the cheats the ports have, I found it to be a miserable slog. I hate turn-based combat, which obviously doesn’t help, and so many other mechanics are so dated that basically every part about handling the controller made me….I mean, saying it made me miserable is hyperbolic, but not as much as you might think. HOWEVER. The story and the characters are so loving phenomenal that I still had a great time because it was so interesting and enjoyable to follow. It’s very easy to see why this was a classic pretty much as soon as it dropped, and I cannot wait to see how future instalments of the remake deal with so many fantastic scenes and locations.

11. Deathloop (2021)
twist!!!!!!!!! I really didn’t expect this to miss out on the top 10. There’s so much to love about it, from the amazing characters and voice acting to the dense and interesting locations, while the central gimmick and multiplayer elements were so so so fun. Unfortunately, as you’ve already read from others, it ends up quite underwhelming. It’s a killer game, but I feel like there’s not enough of it, and the ending was real bad. But I’ll definitely be going back and checking out Arkane’s previous games when I have the chance.

THE LIST:

10. Metro Exodus (2019)
The last game I completed in 2021, after over two years on my to-play list, did not disappoint. An extremely emotional and engaging story and a great variety of interesting locations to explore. The two highlights of this game are: 1. exploring the open world areas, which all have their own fascinating stories and areas and 2. spending time with my best friends the train gang!!!!!!!! Although there are some elements of the game I have some pretty major issues with (guys, if you want to make a stealth game, just make one. don’t hide any kind of good ending behind being stealthy and then not hint towards it at all.), the overall experience was really absorbing and I loved all of these characters by the end.

09. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (2021)
Well, here’s that improvement I was talking about. Rift Apart improves on its predecessor in every way - it has more fun platforming, the levels are better, the weapons are better, the story is far more interesting, and those graphics!!!!! Some of the most beautiful I’ve ever seen, literally a playable AAA animated feature at times. I was enjoying using and upgrading all the weapons so much that I actually played this twice in a row. The only other time I’ve ever done that is with The Last of Us Part II. Talk about good company!

08. NieR Replicant ver.1.numbersnumbersnumbers (2021)
I almost feel like I’m betraying this game by not putting it higher!! Automata is in my top 10 games of all time and in many ways this is its equal, and in one way in particular - the characters - it surpasses it. The characters in this game are so loving insanely good and they broke my heart. The story is also just as bizarre and emotional, and with the addition of Ending E comes very close to equaling Automata. Unfortunately I can’t bring myself to place this higher because of how lacking the gameplay can be, and how much more tiresome it is to replay long sections than it is in the sequel. I’m sorry Yoko Taro I still love you!!!!!

07. Bowser’s Fury (2021)
This is an extremely short game, but it packs so much love and joy into every single second. I adored this open world style, and if this was proof of concept for a future Mario game I really hope they go in that direction. Classic all-timer Nintendo design means getting every single shine, or whatever they were, was super fun, and the kaiju fight sections were a blast too even if they did tank the framerate. Not a lot more to say here; it’s fuckin Mario, y’know?

06. Metroid Dread (2021)
I’ve played a significant amount of other Metroids but this is the first one where I’ve gotten all the way to the end. MercurySteam absolutely knocked it out of the park with gorgeous fluid gameplay, excellent level design, and the perfect level of challenge. Full 360-degree aiming is a game-changer that ensures I could never go back to the ones without it. Not a lot new here, but a refinement and near-perfection of classic Metroidvania gameplay. No idea what was happening in the story, but does anyone?

05. The Forgotten City (2021)
The best hidden gem of the year and an absolutely fascinating treatise on morality. A timeloop mystery kinda-RPG kinda-walking sim with a phenomenal set of characters that is the perfect length and provides so many great twists along the way. I feel like this game, more than the others on the list, is a little harder to describe without getting into spoilers, but basically: if you enjoy games about talking to people and learning their stories, if you have detailed thoughts about human morality, or if you really want to touch an Ancient Roman rear end-wiping stick, this is the game for you.

04. Hades (2020)
This time last year, I thought I didn’t like any roguelike/lite or any game with an isometric viewpoint. What a dumbass I was! I put over 110 hours into this game in January and it felt like almost no time had passed. The gameplay is fun and frantic and it’s a blast when you find a build that breaks the game apart, and the art is lovely, but the thing that had me doing run after run after run for days on end was all the substories. There’s a lot of games in this list with excellent supporting casts, but the characters in this game top all of them - I was so into every single story and I was so happy to spend a couple hours doing more runs just to see the smallest thing change for one character. Not only is there so much of it - even after all that time, I was still finding new lines of dialogue - but for the most part it’s all impeccably-voiced, and backed by one of the best game soundtracks ever. This absolutely deserved the win last year, it’s fuckin fantastic. I know it’s only my first roguelike, but seriously, how could anything beat that?????

03. Returnal (2021)
…….ah.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3V9KoNDhpk

Where Hades is a colourful romp where you hang out with your friends and family in basically your garden, Returnal is a bleak journey through a dangerous alien world where your only non-murderous company is your past self’s deranged ranting. Both are utterly impeccable versions of their specific kind of story, and both are all-timers in their genre. What makes Returnal a cut above Hades for me is in the second-to-second gameplay, which is some of the smoothest and most fluid I’ve ever, ever seen in a third-person game. The game LOOKS like it should have that Rockstar or Witcher weight but instead you zip around like in an arcade shooter and it feels so good, especially mixed with the best use of the DualSense’s haptics and triggers to date. The graphics are unbelievably gorgeous, truly one of the most next-gen games to date, while the sound….oh my GOD I could write an essay on the incredible sound work in this game, which I truly think has raised the bar for the whole industry. And while Housemarque were busy accomplishing all this with literally their first ever AAA game they also included an incredibly atmospheric and surreal narrative, which, although it falls apart at the very end (and even then, that depends on your interpretation), kept me hooked for tens of hours before that. This is the best game of 2021 and the best PS5 game so far, without a doubt. If things were fair, this would be known as a system-seller. But I guess that depends on there being consoles to sell, am I right? HYUK HYUK

02. Hollow Knight (2017)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHuVZqpPdak

As many of you know, last year I got into Fromsoft games and basically finally stopped being poo poo at video games and started being able to do hard things. So I thought, hey, why not get back into another game I had trouble with in the past? I could not be happier I did because this is easily one of the most satisfying experiences I’ve ever had with a game, as well as my first Metroidvania, a genre I had always loved in theory but never been able to get into in execution because difficulty - turned out my theories were right and I loving love them. The exploration in this game is top-notch, the art is appealing, the movement and attacks are great, the design is GOAT-level, the music is insane, the lore is fascinating, the difficulty is tuned juuuuuuust right so that even an idiot like me can muddle through eventually (see the video above for proof that while I may have improved as a gamer, I’m still not…..well……it’s not the best video) without stopping it from being hard as hell. It’s just a fantastic complete package without a single flaw.

I’m generally nowhere near as much of a fan of 2D games as I am 3D. There is a very strong possibility that Hollow Knight is my favourite 2D/side-scrolling game of all time. What the gently caress I played this year could possibly beat that kind of praise? What could it be?????????????

01. Elden Ring Network Test
wait, no, that’s not right……

01. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (2019)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUgaPXDwzLo

Despite the very relaxed rules of this thread, I told myself when I first started voting in it that I would never repeat a game, or count a game I hadn’t played that year for the first time. Yet with this, not only have I broken both of those rules, but the game in question has jumped from #9 in my 2020 list to #1 now. So what happened?

Well, the short answer is easy: it’s loving Sekiro. But let’s go further. I did the Bloodbornes and the Dark Soulses last year and then went onto Sekiro and had a much tougher time. I managed to get almost all the way to the end, with only the hardest three bosses in the game left to beat, but I still felt like I had muddled through, and not truly mastered it. In the end, I wasn’t able to beat any of those final three bosses before my PS5 came and I had shiny new things to focus on instead. Then, when a certain mod started streaming, I decided to start again from the beginning and see how things panned out.

This is where three important elements came into play to create magic. The first was the power of the PS5 allowing the game to run at 60fps, creating a much more fluid experience. The second was I saw some tips that allowed me to get a better handle on the mechanics, especially parrying. And the third was that oh-so-satisfying favourite tool of gamers, muscle memory. It was as if my subconscious had spent the whole six months in between stopping and restarting the game practicing incessantly, and as soon as I picked up that controller again I felt prepared in a way I never had before, and proceeded to crush every enemy in my path, culminating in two and a half days (on and off, of course) of me going up against the final boss and finally, ecstatically, beating him in what is easily the hardest and most satisfying thing I’ve done in a game.

But this isn’t a fuckin Esco blog thread it’s a games poll. Sekiro is my #1 because I think it has the best combat of any game ever. It is so perfectly fine-tuned, so harsh yet so fair (grab hitboxes aside), and so, SO satisfying. There is a story, which is pretty good, and various locations, which are nice, but I could take or leave any of that as long as the sound of metal on metal, the beauty of a successful deathblow, and the feeling of mastering a boss and being able to parry every attack as their posture grows and grows, all remain. Fromsoft have always been known for their bosses and this is maybe their best collection yet, from the swift brutality of the Guardian Ape to Genichiro forcing you to master every single thing you’ve learned to the majesty of the final fights.

I still think Bloodborne is the better complete package - I prefer the tone, the world, level design, and story of BB to Sekiro. But on gameplay alone - the basic feeling of playing a game, and doing the things the game wants you to - this is not only Fromsoft’s best, but on the shortlist for the best the medium has ever seen. Hot drat.

Another reason I love Sekiro so much was because it provided the best moment in one of my favourite things to do this year. Our esteemed mod, VideoGames, has been streaming three days a week for almost the entire year, and they are just the most fun things. Him and his wife are amazing and them, along with the other viewers in the chat box, have brought so much happiness and laughter to a year which wasn't always easy at times. Thank you so much to all of you. As for what he did in Sekiro? You’ll have to wait for his post :)

Easy list for Rarity:

10. Metro Exodus
09. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
08. NieR Replicant v.1.22
07. Bowser’s Fury
06. Metroid Dread
05. The Forgotten City
04. Hades
03. Returnal
02. Hollow Knight
01. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

As promised I played a bunch of Forgotten City and holy poo poo I clearly cannot post my list until I beat it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
:sickos:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

out in force tonight!

sekirowns.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Forgotten lovely, would NOT be how I describe Forgotten City, it’s a neat game and I’m happy it made people’s lists even if it didn’t quite make mine

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

nachos posted:

Is there a FF14 movie or recommended let’s play or something? Every year this thread makes me very sad because I will never be able to find the time to experience this game as it should be.

Sanguinia has an excellent newbie lets play thread for you:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3985683&userid=183048

She's currently on middle of the first expansion.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Attention goons there is now one week left to get your votes in :siren:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

Forgotten lovely, would NOT be how I describe Forgotten City, it’s a neat game and I’m happy it made people’s lists even if it didn’t quite make mine
In a year where time loop games were everywhere, Forgotten City got it the most right, I felt like.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/vW6tLFV.mp4

Hi geeks and gamers

I will spare the usual formalities about talking about the world being on fire and just talk games. 2021 was not as crazy productive for me as 2020 in finishing games, but it was still a pretty packed year from end to end. I was able to get to older games on my Steam backlog and play through some longer RPGs like Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default. My urgency to play through 2021 games only really picked up towards the beginning of Fall, which means that I definitely missed out on some really good games. Here's the sorrowful list of 2021 games I did not have a chance to buy/play but wanted to (I promise!!):

Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, Ender Lilies, It Takes Two, Shin Megami Tensei V, Metroid Dread, Eastward, Stonefly, Retro Machina, Overboard, Astalon, Alekon, Beard Blade, Toodee and Topdee, Glyph, Arietta of Spirits, Labyrinth of Touhou 2, Hoa, Gamedec, Severed Steel, F.I.S.T., Evil Tonight, Conway, Transiruby, Subway Midnight, Okinawa Rush, Super Sami Roll, Wolfstride, Tails of Iron

When you consider that's over 25 games right there, had I the money and the time I could have had a bigger list stacked with bangers from front to back. That's just how good a year this was, especially for indie gaming. But oh well, there's always the 2022 honorable mentions list!

Speaking of which...

Indie games were excellent enough that I was able to compile a top 50, but before we get to THAT list, I uh, I definitely played more than 50 games this year hehhhhhh. Quite a few more (see the logo). I got a chance to catch up on some 2020 indies I missed, and a couple of them were truly fantastic. Not everything was a winner though, so consider this list a bit of a mix and match of 2021 games that missed my Top 50 and 2020 games I missed from last year.

My esoteric scoring system:
I grade games on five criteria: Gameplay Loop, Variety, Art Direction, Sound Design, and UI/UX. The back three are obvious. The gameplay loop should theoretically be obvious: how would I grade a general cycle of gameplay, but the variety category is a bit more vague I guess. The point of it is, how much iteration is there, is there variety in mechanics, is there variety in tasks, is there variety in environments, all that stuff can go into consideration. A Nintendo game, for example, will constantly reveal new mechanics and level gimmicks over the course of a campaign to keep surprising you. But you can't have one without the other... a game that is not fun to play won't benefit from design flexibility, and even the most fun gameplay slice will get old if it never changes.

So I score each out of 10, then multiply the GL by 3, the VAR by 3, and the Art Direction by 2 (I think art is still important!!). Add 'em up. And this ends up in a review curve that is a bit less "anything below 85 sucks." It's more like..

90-100: Holy poo poo this is Phenomenal!
80-89: Wow this is fuckin' Great!
70-79: Hey this is pretty Good!
60-69: Y'know, it's alright, it's Fair
50-59: Ehh, it's Mediocre
40-49: Bleh. This is Poor.
0-39: It's Broken/Beyond Salvageable/Won't Launch/Etc. (I'm not exactly going to play through a game that is extremely bad so I will probably never give a score this low.)

Okay, anyway, without further ado:

Unlike a couple of other Crossing-likes, Littlewood mostly hits its mark. With unassuming pixel art, you play as a hero that has already saved the world and is now just wanting to live a normal life. As you put down roots, you start getting villagers who would like to live in your town as well. You build up said town house by house, villager by villager, each who have decorative needs to fulfill, and also can provide some services and tools.

There's farming, there's fishing, there's bug catching, there's dating, there's terrain editing, just on a more compressed level than, say, Stardew Valley. And it plays perfectly fine, and can be quite addicting to play, as the game uses the stamina system from Stardew rather than real-time clock checking like Animal Crossing, so you can just binge a whole ton of it if you want.

Hello Games has done more than just repair the reputation of No Man's Sky (and their studio). They've been busy, and last year they released this wonderful little puzzle game that combines adventure gaming with puzzle rooms, and a tiny bit of existentialism. (It probably helps that it was co-developed by the team behind WiiWare classic LostWinds.

As a cute little ember critter that has seemingly gotten lost in the afterlife, you are tasked with finding other lost souls and rescuing them, before you can move on yourself. You'll roam around the world talking to odd characters and doing overworld puzzling, and then find the souls trapped in statue, which transitions you to a specific single-room puzzle, and these are some solid puzzles, not quite Draknek-level but still pretty good.

It's just a really charming little package, with emotional music beats, solid art direction and a cohesive world design.

The series that you can't talk about without people making That One Joke, The Room started on mobile, came to PC, and now we've got a full VR game (with accompanying VR tax-- seriously this game is way too expensive). If you like the other Room games, you'll like this one, as you get up close and personal with the puzzles, and instead of clicking from node to node, you just point and warp to them. Though it had to be developed with a bunch of VR sets in mind, it still looks alright and the controls are intuitive (just make sure you have good tracking on your headset).

I will say, though, that the series has gone far away from its roots. In the older games I loved seeing a device that would keep opening up more and more as I found hidden latches, to reveal more hidden latches and drawers, to reveal more puzzles and latches and drawers. Now it's not so much about intricate puzzle boxes anymore, and is instead just general Myst style puzzling. The Room VR specifically has a lot more inventory puzzling, and brings back the "shrink to tiny size" puzzles from Old Sins. Which is fine, it's just.. I miss what it used to be.

I can't speak to the original Vertigo (which, is neither the Alfred Hitchcock film or the upcoming game based on the Hitchcock film, except that it's not based on it but just using the license... look it's dumb, go look it up), but I had a lot of fun with the short runtime of Vertigo Remastered.

Essentially a Half-Life esque shooter experience in VR, Vertigo's dual-handed gunplay feels great and is by far the highlight, though the game is pretty cartoony and not photorealistic, so this isn't Boneworks or whatever. There's a bit where you're shrunk down, some monorail shooting, and some goofy bits of dialog with the conceited CEO. Some awkward climbing of vines as well? I guess they wanted to get in every tool from the toolbox.

Draknek's big release in 2020 was by far their very best, building on what they learned from A Good Snowman is Hard to Build to make a massive non-linear open world puzzle experience that is as good as puzzle games get outside of Stephen's Sausage Roll. I put this right up there with Baba is You, and the puzzle format couldn't be more simple on paper: you reach an island, chop down trees, then push the logs into the water to form bridges to other islands, or push the log away from the island while you're on it to sail to a different area of the map.

The puzzle design is just fabulous, and the game is littered with fun decor, as the islands are presented as a museum to humanity, so you'll find exhibits dedicated to televisions, washing machines, strollers, umbrellas, etc with an adorning plaque guessing as to what its function is. But what really makes Expedition work is the ability to seemingly go in any direction and find puzzles (it should be noted there IS a final location and there are also fast travel points), it feels like a limitless world of exploration, and every time you sail away from an island to find another region it's like holy poo poo, there's still more to this world!

This game would easily go in my top 50 of all time. I just unfortunately didn't get to it in 2020 proper. But I've rectified that now! And if you've played any Draknek game before (Snowman, Cosmic Express, Sokobond) you've got to play this one.

The reason I enjoy Metroidvanias is because there are so many different ways to do them, from action to puzzle (Toki Tori 2) to information-gathering (Outer Wilds) to even more esoteric options like pinball. Sometimes I enjoy a slower, more methodical approach, and sometimes I want something blisteringly fast. Kunai fits into that action slot and does it very well. You're some sort of computer with a katana going around beating the poo poo out of everything you see, and attempting to stop a second apocalypse at the hands of a rogue AI.

The gameboy color aesthetic is on point, and the action is nice and crunchy, with fun combat and fun bosses and fun movement. It's not a top 10 Metroidvania by any means, but it's a highly enjoyable one. Did I mention it has a grapple hook? I mean I guess you saw it in the GIF. The grapple hook is good.

Now for the puzzle side of Metroidvanias, Alwa's Legacy is a sequel to the more methodical and NES puzzler-inspired Alwa's Awakening, which fulfills the promise of the ending of Awakening to move into a more colorful world, and holy poo poo is this game colorful. This game has the most gorgeous backgrounds I've ever seen in a pixel Metroidvania, it's just a beauty to look at.

The game also highly improves on the first game by offering much more convenient fast travel, spritelier movement, more varied biomes, and better application of the tools given to you. It makes Awakening feel much more like a prototype in comparison. Very very good!!

What a weird trip this one is. By the developer of STASIS, Beautiful Desolation is a point n click adventure that echoes games like Fallout by putting you in a wild post-apocalyptic environment where most of humanity has become strange post-dead cyborg monsters. There's no combat, this is a pure point and click adventure, but there are factions and major decisions that impact entire colonies and can play a role in the ending you get.

The real delight is the aesthetic, which combines the look of a 90s isometric CRPG with pre-rendered CG FMV dialog sequences. All of the characters you talk to are so uniquely designed and strange that it kind of gives me Laser Lords vibes but way more professional (perhaps Supergreatfriend fans would understand that reference).

I wish that there wasn't so much time spent flying from zone to zone, and the Brotherhood's way of handling hotspots is a bit annoying compared to other point and clicks, but I was willing to put up with those things just for the weird spectacle that this game had to offer.

I wanted to get into more interactive fiction this year but just didn't find the time. This work, by the author of PataNoir, is an interesting concept. You're a classical detective who has gathered everyone together in the parlor to announce the murderer. However, you actually know nothing about the case, and have to stall for time while ekeing the details out of each of the suspects without drawing suspicion.

The more you learn, the more topics become available to discuss with the other suspects, who will start to exhibit signs of nervousness that you can hone in on. One person might start rubbing their neck to hide a rash, another person might have shaky hands, etc. It's not that you're an incompetent detective, just an unprepared one.

Of course, this is interactive fiction, so it can play out in a lot of different ways. You can accuse anyone, or you can go for such a long rant about your mustache, for example, that the killer gets fed up with you and murders you. And that's where a lot of the fun lies. It's not quite as flexible as other IF, but it's cheap and a decent way to spend an afternoon.

A throwback to classic arcade games, Annalynn plays like a combination of Pac-Man and Mappy, as you roam around a dig site hoovering up all the gold while avoiding enemies. Honestly I don't have a ton to say about the game, it's just a decent timewaster that feels period accurate and would play well on an actual arcade cabinet.

--- I will update this post in the future with more honorable mentions, as I am trying to get through more games but won't have time to finish all of them before my actual GOTY post goes up before the deadline ---

Now, these aren't factually the worst games of the year, because surely a game that doesn't even launch or bricks your computer is more deserving of that title. Mostly these are 2021 games that I had looked forward to playing and really let me down.

RARITY: This is not my top game list! (Quite the opposite!) That is coming in a future post because it would be way too long to include here!

Easily one of my biggest disappointments this year, Genesis Noir wastes its absolutely jaw-dropping art direction on the most basic, uninteresting gameplay I've seen in a game of this level. I actually would have preferred the game NOT have puzzles and be more of a walking simulator, than waste time with boring, repetitive, simple puzzles that have no real connection to the themes or story. On top of that, the game softlocked multiple times, and one puzzle repeatedly bugged out that caused immense frustration because objects that were supposed to connect just wouldn't because the engine accidentally drifted them too far apart.

It's a shame, because the music is great, the art and animation are as good as any game I've played this year, and the concept is very cool. But "it's not about the graphics, it's the gameplay" applies to more than just photorealistic AAA first-person shooters. Well, at least nothing else I highly looked forward to disappointed me this yea-- ah gently caress

I was waiting on this one for a while, a time loop bottle-episode of a game in an apartment that feels part stage play and part time-fuckery. Well, that's what I was expecting anyway.

Honestly, there's already been enough written about this game. I really liked the first hour of the game, when I thought that there'd be flexibility to interactions and the bizarre plot twists hadn't happened yet (and, even being honest, the plot twist was so stupid that it kind of owned, in a 'trash game' way). It's in the back half of the game where it completely falls apart (similar to my worst game of the year winner).

The biggest problem with 12 Minutes isn't actually the story, but its failure as a game itself. With such a small set, EVERYTHING should have had an interaction, and there should have been a lot more to interact with. I have played a lot of one-room adventure games from AGS competitions, and having a reaction or observation to every possible interaction is a staple of the subgenre. You can flush things and hide them in vents, but this only has one practical application. If the game wasn't trying to be "prestige" and just wanted to be a fun game, there'd be a reaction from the wife for, say, putting the cake in a vent. Or using the photo on the fridge as a plate. How about reactions to putting things in the closet? Nope, the closet is for hiding and using the phone and that's it. The lightswitch has a specific use case and that's it. Please follow this specific ordered instruction sheet to win.

A smart timeloop game allows for better flexibility for how the player wants to solve all of the problems in one run. The Forgotton City, for example, has a sizeable time limit and gives you ample time to route your way through the city and quests the way you prefer to. Elsinore offers a multitude of endings and consequences for your decisions. Whereas games like this and Timelie are just about trial and error, trial and error, trial and error, until you do exactly what the game wants you to do.

Until the Wii Virtual Console, Monster World IV had never reached American shores, but by the end of the PS3 it had not only gotten a US release but a localization as well. Now, with the rise in popularity of the series (namely, the success of Monster Boy and Dotemu's Dragon's Trap remake) comes a remake of this once-niche game... and... oof.

If you saw the early trailer for the game and thought "well this looks rough but they'll clean it up and polish it before release", I've got bad news. This is about as clunky as modern remakes get, almost feeling like an Xbox Live Arcade-era remake rather than a 2021 remake. I don't know if this was a lack of budget thing, or if they felt they had to stay too doggedly close to the original, but nothing feels good in this game. Combat feels bad, running and jumping feels pretty bad, the localization is stiff, and the presentation's barely holding together at the seams.

It looks OK, with at least a couple of nice looking environments, but the animations are robotic (which is not a surprise given the robotic feeling of the movement itself) and when you compare it to the much prettier and more fluid-feeling Dragon's Trap, it's just a bizarrely amateur adaptation.

Imagine Animal Crossing with all the fun sucked out of it. While New Horizons designed itself in such a way that it could be played multiple times in the day and still have things for the player to do, everything about Cozy Grove is a waiting game. Trees regrow every 3 real-time days, there are only a number of quests available every day and sometimes no one will have a story quest for you. Some quests require an ungodly amount of resources that will take weeks to harvest.

And in all of that, there's just really not much to do. The island is small even at its max expansion, and even if you want to decorate, your resources are just too limited to do much of that. There's no aquarium or fossils, there's no minigame island, there are no holidays, there are no 'event' days at all. It's barebones and toe-deep.

I played this on my phone over the course of 120 real time days and... that's about the closest I've come to sunk cost fallacy this year. Thankfully I didn't sink anywhere near this amount of time into anything else this year.

Usually a demo is a good indicator of what the full game will be like, especially on the indie side. I've gotten a lot of my wishlist additions from playing demos (and a lot of games in my top list were once demos I played). Kitaria Fables seemed like it would be my thing, an ARPG with a little farming like Rune Factory, starring a cat. And the demo was fine....

The full game, though, revealed its true colors. This is a GRIND. The gameplay does not iterate beyond the demo, and all there is to the game is constantly grinding for enemy drops, which are required for, well.. everything. Weapon and armor upgrades, sidequests, main quests. This includes boss drops, which only drop once a day, so you have to get up, go to the boss, fight it, get the drop, go back to bed, sleep, repeat, multiple times, so that you can finish a certain quest or upgrade your sword so that it does more than piddly damage in the next main quest area.

There was also a couple of hours where I couldn't progress at all because you apparently were required to do an EASILY-missable side quest on the outside of a town before the next main quest. Just completely baffling.

With Rune Factory 4 Special on Steam and RF5 right around the corner, there is no reason to get or play this one.

The first half of Fantasian was a flawed but interesting take on the classic PS1-era of JRPGs, by Mistwalker, who aside from Sakaguchi, has been around the block (Lost Odyssey, The Last Story, Terra Battle). The second half is a descent into true madness.

Most of what you know about Fantasian is its presentation, which uses photographed hand-crafted backgrounds and is extremely charming. When playing, it absolutely feels authentic to the era it's attempting to emulate. It also has some cool concepts, like the Dimengeon, a device that lets you turn off random encounters and allow them to accumulate, until you decide to fight all of them at once. And Dimgeneon battles, though lengthy, are very satisfying, with the game's combat system allowing for arched, AOE and line attacks, along with powerups placed on the field to hit in your attack path.

Why is it the worst game of the year for me? Well it's that darn back half. See, Fantasian was split up into two halves, the first releasing in 2020 and the second releasing in 2021. The first half, though having a slightly stiff localization, was perfectly fine, and had it stayed at that quality, it probably would've showed up around the middle of my top 50 list. The second half of Fantasian is by far the deepest plunge I've seen in a JRPG since... well, the PS1 era, I guess.

The game's initial strength, its puzzle bosses (bosses that have a trick or gimmick to them that you have to figure out to defeat) become its bane as the difficulty of the game is tuned beyond masochistic. Forget nightmare difficulty, this is Freddy Krueger nightmare on elm street difficulty. The game's recommended level for quests? You may as well bump that up by about 7, if not up to 10. The whole 'puzzle boss' concept disintegrates when you solve the puzzle and your party is still wiped. There are bosses with some absolutely unfair attacks, such as spawning up to 30 swords that you have to destroy in one round or they all attack your party at once.

But there are just really dumb aspects to this second half anyway. One boss asks you a bunch of questions, which determines what they'll do on their turn. This boss takes about 20 minutes to get through the quiz portion, at which point he takes the gloves off and starts attacking you with much stronger attacks. Given that there's no indication this is going to happen, it can be easy to hit a TPK and then... have to do the extremely boring, extremely slow 20 minute quiz portion again. There are also quest triggers that are not obvious. Part of the map is locked off until you do some esoteric poo poo to get it open.. and that part of the map has locations integral to the campaign. Barudak and I were constantly swapping notes in the RPG thread as there was no walkthrough for the game and the two of us were constantly puzzled as to where to go, or frustrated as hell by each new boss.

I mentioned the grind in Kitaria Fables. It's kind of a nightmare here too. Experience in the back half is only really gained by filling up your Dimengeon and fighting at max capacity over and over. And only by doing this in one area of the game, where level 60+ enemies show up. Remember, you need to be many levels above the 'recommended level' for quests, and at the end of the game, this means you'd need to be at a level that the game doesn't seem to even want you to reach without massive grinding.

I never could beat the final boss. I don't know how people can. It just has so many ridiculous and difficult phases and its final form has multiple 'phases' it shifts between, including a variant of the '30 swords' attack where you have to destroy a bunch of panels with randomized elemental weaknesses. Randomized, so there's no simple combination of arc/AOE attacks to take them all out before they all attack. There's also two black holes that can swallow party members and take them out of the fight. Ughh I'm remembering more and more of that fight and it loving sucked!!!!

Just.. don't play it. You might play through the opening hours and get hooked on it, and then fall into the sunk cost fallacy trying to complete it as it makes you more and more miserable. Plus, you need an Apple Arcade subscription anyway, so maybe that barrier in and of itself will stop you.

--------------------

And that's it for part one! Part two will be my proper TOP 50 GAMES OF 2021 list. I know only the top 5 actually matter, but what's the harm in doing ten times that? None to my mental state that I can think of!! I'll post that before the year wraps up!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 25, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nice post 7th Guest, looking forward to part 2

Unless its Fantasian Part 2 style

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm living for these graphics :stwoon:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Goodness gracious

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
ahh, the smell of fresh goty posts

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

really happy to see a nod to alwa's legacy, definitely an underrated gem

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

yall lists are v. good.

hey fridge, what was the furthest you got to in iceborne?

I honestly can't remember. Somewhere in the middle? I kept meaning to get back into it, but I never did. Guess were all waiting for a sequel now

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I honestly can't remember. Somewhere in the middle? I kept meaning to get back into it, but I never did. Guess were all waiting for a sequel now

:negative:

i will not reinstall. i will not reinstall. i will not reinstall...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:negative:

i will not reinstall. i will not reinstall. i will not reinstall...

I think I was waiting for veeg to start playing it to jump back in lol

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
Honorable Mentions (in Alphabetical order):
Crying Suns
Hollow Knight
Mini Motorways
Monster Hunter World - Iceborne
Superliminal
The Signifier

10. Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth (RoLW:DiWL) (Fantasy Metroidvania)
This one stands out to me because of how compact of an experience it is. The game is short (~5 hrs to beat) but I would argue that it is a game that does not waste your time, something that I've come to value more as I've gotten older (Note: this is what knocked Hollow Knight off my top 10). The game also feels very good to play. The controls are intuitive and responsive. There's some Ikaruga-like mechanics with elemental shields which is a lot fun. The pixel art for the game is gorgeous.
Unfortunately, the story is complete nonsense even if you are familiar with the source material.

9. Hitman 2 (Third Person Stealth Assassination Puzzle/Simulator)
This includes a replay of Hitman 2016 since IO Interactive did the smart thing with the Glacier engine and (afaik) everything from the first game seamlessly transfers into the second. The devs really figured out their formula for the series with 2016 and the second game definitely iterates on that experience. Sneaking around, observing NPC patterns, finding disguises, throwing wrenches into faces, and piecing everything together to get the Silent Assassin rating on a map is very satisfying.
Note: this would have been the entire trilogy if Hitman 3 wasn't an Epic Game Store exclusive on the PC.

8. Paradise Killer (Free form, open world first person exploration investigation game)
I think what I like most about Paradise Killer is that it presents you with a murder mystery and then it allows you to perform the investigation more or less how you'd want and at your own pace without holding your hand the entire way. The aesthetics and the setting are also completely crazy in a way that I really like. Also, I enjoyed walking through the Trial for the murder at the end, though it has to be mentioned that it is not a Phoenix Wright kind of trial. The twists and turns are navigated during the investigation and the trial itself is more of a denouement granted that you did your due diligence as an investigator, of course.

7. Cyberpunk 2077 (Cyberpunk RPGFPS)
Game's not perfect and it definitely didn't deliver on all the pre-release hype but at this point, it's a mostly solid and enjoyable experience. It's also one of the best-looking games on the market.

6. CrossCode + A New Home DLC (Anime Sci Fi Fake-MMO 2d Action RPG)
This is a really solid game with a fun story and fun characters and fun combat and some pretty decent puzzles that seem AWFUL when you first see them but you work through them one step at a time and then you feel good and accomplished after completing them. The DLC is more of the same and provides a sort of epilogue to the story.

5. Gnosia (Single player werewolf/mafia in SPAAAAAACE)
This game is a trip because it seems like a social deduction game shouldn't work with AI players but it just does. Somehow. Each character has a noticeably unique playstyle. There's an RPG system where you can develop your attributes over the course of multiple games which impacts your ability to influence what's going on. The art as Charming. There's an overarching plot to explain why you're stuck playing this weird death game with the same people over and over again that actually resolves itself very nicely at the end.

4. Wildermyth (Fantasy-Turn-based-Procedurally-generated-long-term-story-telling-RPG)
Wildermyth has that kind of emergent storytelling that you could only get from something like Crusader Kings. That combination of seemingly random character traits and story events over 50-80 years of in-game time within a single campaign leads to some very natural feeling character-focused stories. I love seeing the passage of time in my fiction. I want to see my characters grow older. I want to see them retire and pass the torch along to the next generation. Wildermyth gives me that in spades. It's great.
Mechanically, the combat system is fairly simple, which is to its benefit. Combats don't last overly long and that leads to a good balance with the gameplay loop of fighting monsters, doing stuff on the world map, and rolling through story events (which you may start to see repeats of as early as your second campaign, though that might be a problem that fixes itself with some Steam Workshop support).

3. Inscryption (Deckbuilder Roguelike?)
This is probably going to pop up on a bunch of lists so I'm not going to say much other than that game good, fun.

2. Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous (High-Fantasy CRPG)
I really enjoyed playing Wrath of the Righteous despite its many many flaws. It scratched an itch that I haven't been able to scratch primarily because of covid and it's a pretty good substitute to an actual tabletop experience. The game is super-ambitious both mechanically and narratively and holey moley did that show on release because it was nearly unplayable if you were intent on going down certain mythic paths. With that said, the developers have been very actively patching the game and that's good!
Also, you can also date a cat-spider-murder-hobo lady and I think that's rad.

1. FFXIV:EW (Fantasy RPGMMO Expansion)
This is an easy number 1 for me. As the culmination of 10 years of storytelling, Endwalker does a spectacular job of not violently making GBS threads itself to death like other long running game franchises tying up a myriad of characters and plot points together in a way that is mostly satisfying. Attached to that are two new classes that are a blast to play as well as a ton of quality of life improvements across the board. It continues to be aesthetically pleasing in both visual and audio design.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

shoc77 posted:

2. Sayonara Wild Hearts (PC): The soundtrack is absolutely amazing and I wish I can forget the game experience I had and replay it fresh again.

My good friend, same.

Same… :(

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Honourable Mentions

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
Nier remake
Witcher 3
Mario 3d World
New Pokemon Snap
Loop Hero
NEO TWEWY

The GOTY List

10. Monster Hunter Rise

Monster Hunter which while removing some of the cool stuff I liked iin World (liike the house and critters) made the QoL of mobility far better again to the point that I cant go back. Wirebugs are some of the best grappling hook analogues in games.

9. Dragons Dogma

A classic unlike anything else. Just weird and experimental and cool and huge.

8. Rune Factory 4 Special

The best farming game there is. My only real complaints are no gay marriage/general lacking choices regardless on the marriage front and I dunno, I want a codex to fill out.

7. Monster Rancher 2

Nostalgia pick, this was a childhood favourite and the re-release was an unexpected delight.

6. Valheim

Had some real fun multiplayering with goons and look forward to coming back years down the liine when hopefully it has more stuff.

5. Guilty Gear STRIVE

I haven't played a fighting ggame outside some Smash when I'm at a friends since the loving 1990s. STRIVE changed that. I boot it somewhat regularly still. The combination of rollback good enough that my Australian net actually works, a lively community so I can actually find matches and a surprisingly easy to learn (the basics of anyway) combat system combined to make this in my opinion the perfect game to try and get into or back into fighting games. Also that soundtrack god loving drat

4. Nioh 2

This ruled and I forgot I played it this year, and thinking on it Witcher 3 was recency bias, having played it last week. I thought Nioh 2 was a improvement and expansion all over on Nioh 1 in a way I loved, it also made it's story and characters much more engaging.

3. Resident Evil VILLAGE

I loved this game, it was a fun first person action horror and I grew to really enjoy the writing and characters. Personally I enjoyed this more than RE2R, but that may be because I started with RE4 so this got my nostalgia going in a way RE2R didnt.

2. Metroid Dread

A new Metroid! And they didnt gently caress it up! The bosses are amazing and get better as they go, the final boss is a classic.

1. FF14: Endwalker

They cashed ten years of cheques and loving killed it. I can't think of any other media that pulls that off. Singular loving achievement in the medium.

Edit: removed Witcher 3 from 4th and Path of the Righteous from fifth.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 25, 2021

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ok I beat Forgotten City and it's definitely on the list. So that means 6 will have to die.

Tonight or tomorrow I'll make the hard choices and get it done.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I was convinced to buy Forgotten City thanks to this thread (I don't do a lot of console gaming and don't really check the threads it must've been talked about before) and I realized why I'd heard about Gnosia but never played it, it's got a steam page but the PC port hasn't been released yet.

These look entirely up my alley and I'm a little embarrassed my PC gaming comfort zone meant I hadn't come across them sooner.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For those interested in Forgotten City its on Game Pass.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I've been playing Forgotten City thanks to the thread too, but something went wrong during installation and now all the characters aggressively t-pose and float from a to b. Very authentic former Skyrim mod experience.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

1. Death Stranding

Hey Sam,

Remember me? It’s Metis Hallway-woman. Thanks for that PS4 you delivered the other day. May not seem like much, but that one package really made a difference in my life. 👍👍👍

These last couple years have been tough. Staying indoors, not seeing family and friends. Bet you’ve heard that from a lot of people, huh? Yeah, I’m not claiming to be unique. Just another lonely soul in this age of isolation. 😟

But then I found something that lifted my spirits – boosted my oxytocin, so to speak. A strand that connected me to my sister, to distant friends, to complete strangers all over the world. It was the tale of ‘The Great Deliverer’. Heard of him? 😂

For the first six months of this year, this story brought me and my sister together. See, she lived alone, and ‘The Great Deliverer’ gave me the excuse to visit her – so I could use her PS4. Sure, we didn’t talk about much, but just existing in the same space was a novelty after last year. But then, the next wave hit, and it was back to being locked down. 🤐🔒

I missed that story, though, and the connections I’d built through it. I missed telling my friends about the new path the Deliverer had walked, or the bridges he had built. We shared joy in recounting his deeds to each other, but after a while that wasn’t enough. I needed to experience it again, first-hand. I tell ya, I was this close to becoming a MULE!

But that’s where you come in, Sam. You brought me this PS4, and you let me meet ‘The Great Deliverer’ one more time. Just like you, I’ll keep on keepin’ on.

2. The Great Ace Attorney

They even put Australians in Ace Attorney.

They did it! They really did it! They brought the Great Ace Attorney to the rest of the world! It’s even better than I could have imagined. The characters are some of the best in the entire series (Susato in particular is wonderful), and the new twists on the gameplay feel so natural that by the end I could hardly imagine how past games ever functioned without them.

The game’s story is so packed that I had to take a break between the two games, but I’m looking forward to picking back up in 2022.

Note to Rarity: This entry is only for the first game, not the second, and not the bundle.

3. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

He doesn't deserve you, Miwako!

The Terminator + ET + The Girl Who Leapt Through Time + Philip K Dick + Madoka + way way way more influences than I recognise & can name = one hell of a sci-fi rollercoaster. The narrative structure is ingenious, and genuinely the kind of story that can only be told as a video game. Trying to figure out what the next wild twist would be was insanely fun (I even got some right!) and I loved each and every protagonist, but ESPECIALLY I loved Miwako. Sweet, sweet Miwako.

4. Anodyne 2

This entry is reserved for annoying Stux that I didn’t make Anodyne 2 my number one.

It’s a great game! Short and sweet, with an incredible breadth of gameplay. Every time you get bored of what it’s doing, it changes on you. A very sweet and thoughtful coming-of-age story.

5. New Pokemon Snap

I played the original when I was five, and barely understood the mechanics behind unlocking new areas/poses. Even so, I played it over and over, and I was thrilled to be able to do exactly that once more, with way, way more pokemon. I still haven’t even tried the free update yet!

6. The Good Life

Good:
Button to scream YEAH BABEY!!!
Dogs and cats wearing hats

Bad:
Literally what happened to the central mystery
Why tf are you making me collect all these aluminium cans

This was my first SWERY game and I loved and hated it in equal measures. Great game.

7. Animal Crossing

Really didn’t think I’d come crawling back to this game this past November but Nintendo has me on the hook.

8. Loop Hero

I'm an idle game addict so make one with indie credibility and I am THERE.

9. Garden Story

Bought this after Rune Factory 5’s release date was announced for next year, so I could fill the farm-shaped hole in my heart. Honestly, not much of a farming or gardening game, but very, very cute. Simultaneously, very melancholy! I liked it!

10. Gilmore Girls Fire Emblem

Need I go on?

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 26, 2021

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Relax Or DIE posted:

if we're admitting to goty thread fraud I've been using my alt accounts (wuggles, Rarity, Metis) to submit multiple lists for several years

uh oh, we've been made

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Metis of the Hallways posted:

uh oh, we've been made

It's ok, maybe nobody noticed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I cannot imagine a more frustrating game to play than Gilmore Girls Emblem, if only because theres no possible class combo to fix Rory and all her potential matches are in way better spin off titles