Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Seems like I’m stuck with the virtuoso. I grind 200g for the cold brew and I’m not doing that in a hand grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Ran out of my fancy subscription beans, and out of desperation bought something from the grocery store to hold me over.

Got these Lavazza light roast beans that claim

“Roasted in Italy”
“Beans from non-EU source”

No other details. Just from a non-EU place. I’m going to assume they were grown in Antarctica.

Ah, yes, EU. Major producer and exporter of coffee beans.

I also once bought some Lavazza in desperation, and I could never ever make them brew properly. Probably a year old. gently caress that.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

bolind posted:

Ah, yes, EU. Major producer and exporter of coffee beans.

I also once bought some Lavazza in desperation, and I could never ever make them brew properly. Probably a year old. gently caress that.

For me it’s either that or no coffee until Tuesday when my sub stuff comes.

I was able to somehow get a 17g in, 35g out in 29 sec with them on the second try, but it still tasted awful. But it’s caffeine.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I like Lavazza, but don't make espresso, only pourover.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

How well do those K cups where you can add your own grounds work in not destroying whatever expensive coffee I bought?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

nwin posted:

Seems like I’m stuck with the virtuoso. I grind 200g for the cold brew and I’m not doing that in a hand grinder.

Maybe stick it in one of those blender noise reducing cases? My Encore is violently loud too.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Kiranamos posted:

How well do those K cups where you can add your own grounds work in not destroying whatever expensive coffee I bought?

They suck rear end op you might as well fill those with pencil shavings for the quality of extraction you'll get. If you've got nice beans you might as well toss a few bucks towards a cheapo french press or, better yet, a $10 Hario V60 and some papers so you can actually taste them.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ThirstyBuck posted:

Maybe stick it in one of those blender noise reducing cases? My Encore is violently loud too.

Eh it’s annoying, but not to that point. I was just testing the waters to see if there’s anything better out there with the bonus of being quiet for around the same price point.

What I don’t like is that I’ve broken three of the burr collars in the past 2 years. They’re a sacrificial part and only cost $4, but there’s no way to tell it’s broken unless I take note of the grind quality or give it a cleaning…then I hope I have a spare collar lying around which I usually don’t. I just ordered two of them so at least I have a backup. I’m thinking it’s being caused by grinding 200g once a week for my wife’s cold brew.

The Ode looks pretty good…could run into the same issues though perhaps. I just don’t see grinding 200g a go in the wheelhouse of home grinders…maybe I’m wrong.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

They suck rear end op you might as well fill those with pencil shavings for the quality of extraction you'll get. If you've got nice beans you might as well toss a few bucks towards a cheapo french press or, better yet, a $10 Hario V60 and some papers so you can actually taste them.

I assumed it was wishful thinking. I have a copper French press but I just never know if I’m doing it right.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Now that I've got coffee nuts out of my system, any favorite baking recipes that use espresso?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

nwin posted:

Eh it’s annoying, but not to that point. I was just testing the waters to see if there’s anything better out there with the bonus of being quiet for around the same price point.

What I don’t like is that I’ve broken three of the burr collars in the past 2 years. They’re a sacrificial part and only cost $4, but there’s no way to tell it’s broken unless I take note of the grind quality or give it a cleaning…then I hope I have a spare collar lying around which I usually don’t. I just ordered two of them so at least I have a backup. I’m thinking it’s being caused by grinding 200g once a week for my wife’s cold brew.

The Ode looks pretty good…could run into the same issues though perhaps. I just don’t see grinding 200g a go in the wheelhouse of home grinders…maybe I’m wrong.

Do you grind like 200g straight?

My understanding is these kinds of grinders do not have the ability to run that much at once. I’d probably do like 50g at a time with 10 min in between and see how it goes.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

nwin posted:

i pretty routinely grind a pound at a time for coldbrew with my df64, takes a few minutes but the machine certainly has no real problems with it (just starts to get pretty warm after about a kilo and eventually it'd shut off if you got hot enough)

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Kiranamos posted:

I assumed it was wishful thinking. I have a copper French press but I just never know if I’m doing it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st571DYYTR8

someone in the comments helpfully gave a quick summary:

quote:

30gr medium coarse grounded Coffee + 500 ml water
+ leave it 4 minutes
+ mix a bit, remove foam and fines
+ let it rest 5 or + minutes
+ After that, press the filter just until the surface and pour the coffee through it

It seems like a ton of waiting time (and it really kind of is, which is why I usually go for the V60 personally) but it will absolutely produce great coffee.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Do you grind like 200g straight?

My understanding is these kinds of grinders do not have the ability to run that much at once. I’d probably do like 50g at a time with 10 min in between and see how it goes.

I stop halfway thru to empty the hopper but only for a minute or two…you might have a point.

eke out posted:

i pretty routinely grind a pound at a time for coldbrew with my df64, takes a few minutes but the machine certainly has no real problems with it (just starts to get pretty warm after about a kilo and eventually it'd shut off if you got hot enough)

Wait-the single dose DF64? How do that work?

https://www.espressooutlet.net/turi...XQaAia3EALw_wcB

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

nwin posted:

Wait-the single dose DF64? How do that work?

put coffee in tube, repeat

'single dose' doesn't mean that much, it doesn't have a big hopper but you can still drop like 4oz in it

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 19, 2021

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

eke out posted:

put coffee in tube, repeat

'single dose' doesn't mean that much, it doesn't have a big hopper but you can still drop like 4oz in it

Yeah I stopped being stupid after I wrote that. How’s the noise level?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Xarthor posted:

Anyhow, I've been reading a lot of coffee reviews online and it seems like it comes down to one word: cheap. People seem to complain that every brand that used to be good (Braun, Bonavita, Bunn, etc) have replaced all their formerly quality metal pieces with cheap plastic pieces that break, leak, or foul the coffee taste.
Genuinely curious as to what formerly metal pieces Bonavita has changed.

I'm still rocking the 2013 8 cup model and aside from the insulated carafe(*), some stainless steel looking cladding, and presumably the heating element/pump, it's all plastic.

(*) At the time the biggest complaint about the insulated carafe was that it would eventually crack. I keep telling myself that once that happens I'll probably go to a Moccamaster but that hasn't happened in 8 years of daily usage.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

nwin posted:

Yeah I stopped being stupid after I wrote that. How’s the noise level?

Comparable to my old virtuoso, probably a little quieter but not quiet.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

BrianBoitano posted:

Now that I've got coffee nuts out of my system, any favorite baking recipes that use espresso?

Mix an espresso into a good chocolate icing recipe for a cake or cupcakes.

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

Only baking if you decide to make the ladyfingers yourself, but I've been really enjoying the serious eats tiramisu.
https://www.seriouseats.com/best-tiramisu-recipe

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Thanks for listening to my grinder-related ramblings before. I decided that the Niche was too expensive to import, the DF64 too mod-y, and the Eureka single dose too non-existent, so I ordered myself a Specialita - I'm not sure I even want to single dose, I'd rather dial in a bean for a week at least and just reliably have that of a morning. I'm interested to see how different flat burrs are (currently using an Encore for everything).

I even went for a fancy custom colour, because gently caress it, it's lockdown again, may as well spend money on coffee upgrades :smith:

And I'm getting an Aergrind from my parents so I can have nice coffee when I visit them instead of their gross stuff (I didn't put it in those words obviously). Of course, we're not going now because of Omicron, but maybe next time!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bobstar posted:

Thanks for listening to my grinder-related ramblings before. I decided that the Niche was too expensive to import, the DF64 too mod-y, and the Eureka single dose too non-existent, so I ordered myself a Specialita - I'm not sure I even want to single dose, I'd rather dial in a bean for a week at least and just reliably have that of a morning. I'm interested to see how different flat burrs are (currently using an Encore for everything).

I even went for a fancy custom colour, because gently caress it, it's lockdown again, may as well spend money on coffee upgrades :smith:

And I'm getting an Aergrind from my parents so I can have nice coffee when I visit them instead of their gross stuff (I didn't put it in those words obviously). Of course, we're not going now because of Omicron, but maybe next time!

Did you order from espresscoffeeshop? You can get the Spec for about $420 shipped to the US.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

nwin posted:

Did you order from espresscoffeeshop? You can get the Spec for about $420 shipped to the US.

I ordered it from a local shop here in the Netherlands - gave them the code from the Mignon Configurator and they're ordering it in from Italy.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Are coffee competitions done with different beans, or are there sections that test whoever can dial in a roast the best/fastest? I’m envisioning a competition where everyone has the same water and beans and whoever has the best cup with the most amount of beans remaining wins.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES

Kiranamos posted:

Please for the love of baby Jesus do not use good coffee in a Keurig. If you can, use a pourover, French press, or even a sock. Anything will extract your nice coffee better than a Keurig.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

script kitty posted:

Please for the love of baby Jesus do not use good coffee in a Keurig. If you can, use a pourover, French press, or even a sock. Anything will extract your nice coffee better than a Keurig.

What if I wanna get that cat piss flavor

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Put some DEF in your coldbrew.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

After looking into espresso machines, (barista fo 3 years about ten years ago, so I at least somewhat know what I’m doing) I’m seriously thinking of just getting a nepresso machine. I drink lattes and caps like 90% of the time I’m not having pour over.

Unless there’s some amazing machine I’m not seeing for like $500? Because for less than $200 a nespresso and a milk frothed looks solid at this point.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 24, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Flair Neo is a cheaper option that comes with a pressurized basket so you don't need an amazing grinder for it. James Hoffman thinks it's pretty good for the price.

We have a nespresso machine at work and it tastes pretty good. I prefer a real coffee shops but espresso prices are over $4 now not including tip. So I choose free over the best.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I started on the Neo but if you like milk drinks get one that can use the larger Pro 2 basket. After upgrading I'm so glad I did!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I think the big question is if you want to deal with getting a good grinder or not as well.

JX Pro hand grinder plus a flair is pretty great…then a nanofoamer for milk…that would stay under $500.

You could also do a breville bambino plus a hand grinder for about $500.

If you don’t want to gently caress with grinding, then either a bambino/flair with pressurized Portafilter or nespresso.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Flair Pro2+JXPro+Bellman steamer here. Great setup for ~$500.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

LionArcher posted:

After looking into espresso machines, (barista fo 3 years about ten years ago, so I at least somewhat know what I’m doing) I’m seriously thinking of just getting a nepresso machine. I drink lattes and caps like 90% of the time I’m not having pour over.

Unless there’s some amazing machine I’m not seeing for like $500? Because for less than $200 a nespresso and a milk frothed looks solid at this point.

Breville bambino is in that price range and is supposed to steam pretty well, but it doesn’t do great with light roasts. Otherwise you’re looking at one of the single boilers like the silvia or gaggia classic. None of them is really what I’d call amazing but they’re all capable of making good espresso

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
My Gaggia's pump has bitten the dust I'm pretty sure so I'm back to French press and bellman steamer

That bellman steamer remains amazing

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I'm not super interested in espresso but my favorite local roaster makes "milk steamers" so I'm eyeing the poo poo out of that bellman steamer so i can have my drat lavender milk steamers in the comfort of my home

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I'm still planning on buying the Cafelat Robot one day.

What's the benefit of something like the bellman steamer over the Breville milk frother? They look like they are at a similar price point.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bellman lets you manually make microfoam. Breville does it for you.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Naive question: I was watching Hoffmann's French Press Technique video and... he doesn't actually do any pressing, he just uses the press as a strainer. Doesn't that sort of defeats the whole purpose of the French Press?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Plunging just stops the extraction so you could plunge and let it sit there without over-extracting. If you're pouring it straight away it doesn't make any difference. Saying that, I've tried pouring without plunging and it's always resulted in way more sludge in my cup, might just be a crappy cafetiere though... I don't use it often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What’s everyone’s tips with the bellman steamer? I got one a few weeks ago and I’ve only gotten decent results once. My main complaint is it takes too long to heat up.

I’m getting better results microwaving some milk and using a nanofoamer.

I want to like the bellman, but so far I’m not impressed.