Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

someone needs to make a mod that makes javelins more valuable than entire cities again. the game isn't the same without that.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ironically in Bannerlord Online good javelins are some of the most valuable weapons in the game (they're used to snipe player captains from horseback in order to cause their troops to go berserk/let you easily mow the AI down for huge lopsided wins)

Second most valuable are rhomphalias for similar reasons

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Anyone else getting weird performance issues since the last patch? Every couple of minutes my game's visuals slow to a crawl for thirty seconds or so, then it snaps back to normal. Changing the graphics settings has zero impact on this. Very frustrating.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

downout posted:

Also don't max level your troops, it gets too expensive to maintain them. Tier 3 is usually enough

This is terrible advice IMO

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
It depends what you're doing for money. Not all economic gameplay loops are viable for supporting big, elite armies at this point.

Otherwise, elite troops are pretty much always worth it if you can afford them. They absolutely will trash lower tier units even with a numbers disadvantage.

Really, just smith your way through the early/mid game and you can have whatever troops you want. Makes taking cities and starting workshops to get more sustainable income a lot easier too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Trying to jump back into this to try the new beta patch. Is massed Fians still the way to go for efficiency early on? Shields seem like they did a lot more against them this time around than before.

E: actually I could use a primer on transitioning from being a lord with a city or castle or so and declaring my own kingdom. Is it generally better to join one faction as a mercenary and then transition to the same faction as a subject? I started as a battanian, are there advantages or disadvantages to joining with the Battanians themselves? Like if I join them and they steamroll, will I just make it harder for myself later?

E: I'm also regretting not doing the Imperial background I think, that garrison bonus is going go be really nice as soon as I start having to pay for all those fuckers.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 25, 2021

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Jakabite posted:

Why's that?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah joining a kingdom as a mercenary and then as a vassal as soon as you can is the way to go. A main reason is because winning battles against nobles is the fastest way to get renown, money (since nobles' armies have better troops that will drop better loot to sell), and influence. Also, for purposes of later ruling a new kingdom, the most important late-game commodity is good relationships with the high-level clans you want to defect to your kingdom, since better relationships will make them easier and cheaper to recruit. So getting good relationships with your kingdom's nobles so you can poach them later is really important. You can also get good relationships with other kingdoms' nobles by letting them go after battle instead of taking them prisoner, which is additionally a good idea to prevent your kingdom from doing too well in the war if you want to leave and fight them later.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

You can also get good relationships with other kingdoms' nobles by letting them go after battle instead of taking them prisoner, which is additionally a good idea to prevent your kingdom from doing too well in the war if you want to leave and fight them later.
Yeah this is part of why I wondered whether if it was better to join, say, a Sturgian faction if the ultimate goal was to take over the Battanians.

Also can you marry off your brother yet? Need to get him hitched to Wythuin and to get a husband asap apparently.

E: also cheat mode doesn't seem to let me add attribute points, if it ever did. I think the game is incredibly grindy and wanted to speed it up by just outright cheating an extra 2-3 points per attribute or something.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 25, 2021

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Going around breaking lords out of jail is also incredibly good for relations (only do this if you savescum)

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
There are several console commands to add levels, focus points, or attribute points to yourself or various companions. Definitely cuts out some of the grindiness. Here’s a list of them from pcgamer:

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/mount-blade-2-bannerlord-cheats/

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

downout posted:

Why's that?

Cos elite troops are cool

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Also unmodded If you dont join a faction theres very little enemy variaation to fight- Its looters or bandits. This game seriously needs more nonfaction parties around.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Valtonen posted:

Also unmodded If you dont join a faction theres very little enemy variaation to fight- Its looters or bandits. This game seriously needs more nonfaction parties around.
I think it needs to be harder to make mega-armies. Like, scaling multipliers to the cost of an army so only the king can call the giant ones. Because once you get to t2 clan you can kind of go after lord parties but they're often hard to find since they just conglomerate into giant hordes you can't do much with. Armies could also just have a max number of parties in them based on the tier of the lord leading them so there are more smaller armies around. I don't know, there is a huge gap between "I can take on bandits" and "I can form an army large enough to generally do poo poo".

E: a lot of those commands don't seem to work for me, even though I know cheat mode is on (the inventory opens up to whatever and I can teleport.) I'll just activate the dev console too I suppose.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah there needs to be more low to medium key enemies to fight.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Minor factions are often good targets. They are unemployed pretty often, so won't necessarily have any impact on any other relationship.

If you're in a war you can either join up with the big army or skirt the big battles and look for lords who are recruiting troops, or merchant caravans. All's fair in 💕 and ⚔️.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah there needs to be more low to medium key enemies to fight.

Yeah the more I think about it, would there be any problem to say that a t3 clan can only lead an army of 3 parties max (as an abstraction of the generalized infrastructure and staff that such a clan can have) and the higher tier clans can have more, with a bonus given to the king? I don't know, it might force smaller armies and give some kind of general mid-tier large raiding party factor.

Also I kind of think "noble" troops should just go away and they should just be the actual nobles themselves. Make parties a tiny bit smaller by reducing the number of bonus troops you get for a clan tier and make more characters acting as retainers. Not sure on that on but it does make the retinue-of-retinues feel it seems like they're going for seem devalued when you can just field an army of cataphracts instead.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Jakabite posted:

Cos elite troops are cool

Can't say i really disagree! as long as you can afford it

Bandit Militias mod https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/1768 was really nice for adding a lot more variety to fight for experience and gold. Another option is to edit the ...\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules\SandBox\ModuleData\partyTemplates.xml id="looters_template" to make bigger looter stacks. Also fun when other lords are getting owned by 300 stacks of looters.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I will agree with the above and say that this is why the best mods for Warband had a middle tier of enemies between looters/bandits and kingdom armies. Prophesy of Pendor had a ton of themed marauder armies, and Floris Mod had a bunch of specialized bandit armies with their own mini troop trees, deserter armies, etc that filled out that mid tier. Bannerlord is missing this.

Also, frankly, as someone who played a ton of modded Warband, I'm still not feeling Bannerlord. The battle system is great, but the world feels so vanilla and bland and there's nothing to do once you get rolling.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

BMan posted:

Going around breaking lords out of jail is also incredibly good for relations (only do this if you savescum)

It helps you can tell the dude to stay put instead of him running into a crowd of guards now.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jakabite posted:

Do elite imperial troops still lose their javs for some reason?

Because if so yeah lol just keep them all at the level where they don't. A wall of flying jav's does a lot to win fights with gently caress all casualties and for the bigger battles you'd ideally have an army with you anyway.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

The Army siddue solves by clan tier 3 when you can roll out your own intra-clan Army; Its starting at around 180 dudes and enough to take on a lot without spending Any influence (no influence cost to invite and run an Army of clanmates) But it still requires you to be in a Kingdom so..

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Are there any must-have mods for the current version? It's really my first time playing since release and IMO the game really improved a lot.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

JerikTelorian posted:

Are there any must-have mods for the current version? It's really my first time playing since release and IMO the game really improved a lot.

I don't think anything is really must-have. I'm using these below. They are all nice QoL and isolated enough that I can update the game if I'd like and just turn them off if updated versions aren't available, the game saves should be fine.

KillBanditsRaiseRelations - killing bandit parties ups relationship with npcs in nearby towns and villages
Surrender Tweaks - npc parties can surrender
Smithing Value - see value of items before smithing them
Adjustable Level Up Points - lets you change the points received for each level up, default doubles the current amount

I'm using the vortex launcher to order them, etc. Here is the version numbers, and the load order is Harmony, UIExtenderEx, all the native mods, then everything else.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Just jumped in for the first time since launch and holy guacamole javelins from horseback are incredibly fun now

Ragdolling an oncoming lord right off of his own horse is the most satisfying feeling in the game so far, but I also love that every battle I'm randomly tossing javs into enemy moshpits and getting guaranteed kills every single time. I'd carry three stacks of them if they weren't so heavy.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Fun fact: there is a shaft that has thrown property allowing you to make a throwable voulge.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
I routinely craft throwing swords with the two handed thrown polearm. You can also get a pretty wicked swing speed with them.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Schwza posted:

I routinely craft throwing swords with the two handed thrown polearm. You can also get a pretty wicked swing speed with them.

Valtonen posted:

Fun fact: there is a shaft that has thrown property allowing you to make a throwable voulge.

I think it's time for me to fire up bannerlord again.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

protip: throwable pitchforks are "civilian"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

BMan posted:

protip: throwable pitchforks are "civilian"

I love this game

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
from another thread:

there really should be an achievement named this

for when you get a kill while simultaneously mounted and airborne.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

I love How fluid the smithing system is with parts interchangeability. Dont have a long 2-hand hammer shaft? Make a polearm with a hammer head. My civilian gangraider getup Now incorporates a concealed carry ”hammer” with shaft length of 214. Is it useful in combat? No. Is it hilarious? Yes. The lead time for the hammer to fall is about 1.5 seconds.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I got a new laptop recently, holy poo poo this game slaps. It's amazing how fun it is. Does anyone have recommendations to someone coming back into this after years playing warband? Related to that, are there any good total conversion mods, and how hard are they to get working when the game is on steam?

I like the smithing, it's pretty sweet, do you usually get more recipes from smelting weapons or from forging them?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Valtonen posted:

I love How fluid the smithing system is with parts interchangeability. Dont have a long 2-hand hammer shaft? Make a polearm with a hammer head. My civilian gangraider getup Now incorporates a concealed carry ”hammer” with shaft length of 214. Is it useful in combat? No. Is it hilarious? Yes. The lead time for the hammer to fall is about 1.5 seconds.
Really? It's the part I hate most. Oh, 50% of the orders you come across are two-handed hammers? Too bad you don't have any two-handed hammer shafts, just a ton of other randomly assigned other long-rear end pieces of wood. Even taking all of the +learning traits can make it slow as hell.

It's fun in free build but not being able to make a ton of weapons for the order system is kind of annoying.

E: as near as I can tell every bit of smithing xp you get is copied to another hidden bar that unlocks a random part whenever it fills up. I THINK that all xp is moved over equally but I'm not sure. There are two smithing skills that increase learning rates and I think they just act as a multiplier to the copied xp for the relevant skill. Also I'm 95% sure each companion has a different set of learned unlocked parts and it isn't shared, so having one main smith that does all of the unlocking and forging of the Good poo poo while having an assistant that gets the perks that give all the refining options is the way to go.

Also pugios have an explicable amount of good metal in them to break down.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 2, 2022

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Ravenfood posted:

Really? It's the part I hate most. Oh, 50% of the orders you come across are two-handed hammers? Too bad you don't have any two-handed hammer shafts, just a ton of other randomly assigned other long-rear end pieces of wood. Even taking all of the +learning traits can make it slow as hell.

It's fun in free build but not being able to make a ton of weapons for the order system is kind of annoying.

E: as near as I can tell every bit of smithing xp you get is copied to another hidden bar that unlocks a random part whenever it fills up. I THINK that all xp is moved over equally but I'm not sure. There are two smithing skills that increase learning rates and I think they just act as a multiplier to the copied xp for the relevant skill. Also I'm 95% sure each companion has a different set of learned unlocked parts and it isn't shared, so having one main smith that does all of the unlocking and forging of the Good poo poo while having an assistant that gets the perks that give all the refining options is the way to go.

Also pugios have an explicable amount of good metal in them to break down.

Tribesman throwing daggers. 1x everything except thamaskebne when smelted, sold in stacks of 45+ across the empire, battania and aserai. Theyre more expensive than pugiis But still cheap for amount of resources. once you learn a single 2-handed sword blade that is tier 3+ you can make endless profits.

By default 2-handed swords are most easy ones to make profit with; and most resource-friendly are the 2-handed falchion blades.

Most (at least sword) orders are literally ”Every setting default except a specific blade” So going through available blades first is easier than trying to fit the order custom up. Javelin orders this is easy to check from the requested stack amount. 2-handed Club orders are always default, So If you dont have them unlocked dont bother.

Clubs and axes are the hardest orders to try to figure out, they usually require a weird combination of shaft and blade.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ardent Communist posted:

I got a new laptop recently, holy poo poo this game slaps. It's amazing how fun it is. Does anyone have recommendations to someone coming back into this after years playing warband? Related to that, are there any good total conversion mods, and how hard are they to get working when the game is on steam?

I like the smithing, it's pretty sweet, do you usually get more recipes from smelting weapons or from forging them?

As far as I know, none of the total conversion mods are complete. The Old Realms (Warhammer mod) has a beta out that is pretty cool, but it is still definitely beta.

Best way to get recipes is to craft the most expensive items possible (in terms of sale value). Javelins are probably the most cost effective at lower skill levels, then certain types of two handed polearms and any type of two handed sword.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

litany of gulps posted:

As far as I know, none of the total conversion mods are complete. The Old Realms (Warhammer mod) has a beta out that is pretty cool, but it is still definitely beta.

Best way to get recipes is to craft the most expensive items possible (in terms of sale value). Javelins are probably the most cost effective at lower skill levels, then certain types of two handed polearms and any type of two handed sword.

Yeah if you check nexus all the tc mods have 20x the amount of downvotes as upvotes.

I just got back into this with the character I was playing before, a huge nosed giant called Noses Supposes of house Smith. Favourite activity at the moment is seeing how far my javelins can hurl ragdolls.

Anyway, I own Vostrum (town) and a castle nearby. I’m a vassal of Garios, and I’m looking to become my own thing soon. Most of our lords love me which is nice. I’m tier 4 atm - is it better to wait for tier 5 to go my own way? And what does that involve? Rebelling and having to fight the whole of the Western Empire? That feels difficult.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

every total conversion (except maaaaybe the warhammer one, but also still kind of the warhammer one) is a placeholder mod with a few assets and a big ol' COMING SOON flashing sign in front of it that only exists to reserve the mod name or so the author can be like "I actually did this first even though my mod didn't actually do anything to the game for the first 6 months it existed"

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

I started a sandbox mode……a kingdom city rebelled and promptly took it, how do i start a kingdom ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Chopstix posted:

I started a sandbox mode……a kingdom city rebelled and promptly took it, how do i start a kingdom ?

You need like clan level 4 or something