Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I really like the 3DO Multiplayer. I think I would be happy if that were my only way to play games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vandar posted:

Conspiracy theory time but I'm pretty convinced that devs are intentionally bloating their game install sizes to try and stop people from buying and playing their competitor's games.

'Man, I'd love to get Shootmans 8 next week, but I'd have to uninstall Stabbin' Dudes 4 and a couple of other games to make room for it, and Stabbin' Dudes 4 has the new DLC coming out next soon. Guess I'll have to pass on Shootmans this time...'

The industry is messed up and twisted enough that I could honestly see companies like EA and Ubisoft and Activision doing this.

Some game devs really just can't loving figure out how to shrink filesizes.
like destiny2 deleting an entire year of past expansions because the game was getting too big to fit on playstation hard drives.

Of course by the time they had to do that it was probably way too late to change. They had to have hosed some poo poo up years ago in the planning stage to get the point where the individual levels were tens of gigabytes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
modern devs should be forced to make a NES game before they are allowed access to 16gb of ram and multi TB hardrives

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

galagazombie posted:

Remember guitar hero and all those plastic “instruments” now filling the worlds landfills? Lol it takes so much effort to get good just learn to play guitar. At least with Pac-Man and Dark Souls I can’t actually learn how to be a magical knight or a Pac-Man in real life for the same effort.

I have a friend who runs a small game store and he says he can't keep Guitar Hero controllers on the shelf. Any time he puts one up for sale, it's instantly gone.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the rock band guitar worked way better with a real heavy pick, it was designed to be compatible with picks from the start which is p cool honestly

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

There has never been a good large game.

Maybe I'll back up all my games (well most of them).

What's defined as large? > 100 GB? 50?

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
Pokémon hasn’t felt the same since Ruby.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

QuarkJets posted:

Anything bigger than 4 CDs. And that's pushing it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

How many CDs does it take to back up the best thread on the forums? I'm referring to this thread, of course.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I don't know but I will say games I like often times are under 1 GB.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Disco Pope posted:

Not sure Dan Castenella fits the tone, to be honest.

You'd be surprised!

https://youtu.be/Juj0yeI_9Fg

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
In that pointless argument a few pages back where people were exaggerating for effect to dunk on Disco Elysium's writing somehow the Bible came up.

Which reminded me that El Shaddai looked pretty cool, and was kinda trippy even if it wasn't a very fun game to play. It was based loosely on the Book of Enoch. I definitely respect games and really any kind of art that reaches for something original even if it doesn't always stick the landing.

It didn't sell that well but apparently it just came out on PC a few months ago which is weird because I hadn't thought of the game in years. There's been a few "who asked for this" PC releases in recent years like Bullet Witch so who knows.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

anything bigger than a ps2 game is rubbish

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Merry Christmas all, visiting the in laws today which means its the one magical day of the year where ill play Nintendo switch

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I didn't know you could play DOTA on the Switch

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
its called pokeymon unite

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Merry Christmas everyone. We all come together to complain about video games and have pointless, idiotic slapfights about nothing, which is what Christmas is really about.

With guitar hero IIRC the input timing was really late, so that to be on time for the game you would have to strum the note when you would be way late if you were playing in real life. I guess they did that to appeal to non-musicians, but drat they made it so you can't even practice rhythms with it. It's just a tou shaped like a guitar (and not a real piece of art like a JRPG)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor J Off posted:

With guitar hero IIRC the input timing was really late, so that to be on time for the game you would have to strum the note when you would be way late if you were playing in real life. I guess they did that to appeal to non-musicians, but drat they made it so you can't even practice rhythms with it. It's just a tou shaped like a guitar (and not a real piece of art like a JRPG)

TVs at the time had an ungodly latency and the original iterations overcompensated for it, although they did add in the options a custom lag compensation option.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

El Shaddai is a bad game that did its absolute hardest to mine the teeny tiny source material it was working with and produced some really cool visual levels. Try it for a five

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Yeah I had to give up on guitar hero completely when making the switch from CRT to led tvs. Game was absolutely unplayable on an led

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Oh well that explains why it was like that, I guess. It was a boon to rhythmically challenged dweebs everywhere!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

no_tears posted:

Pokémon hasn’t felt the same since Red.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

no_tears posted:

Pokémon hasn’t felt the same since I was ten.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Pokémon. Pokémon never changes.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I only played the original games (Red and Green) and Sword/Shield and I don't agree. If anything they haven't evolved enough to keep putting out new versions for full price.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
my sisters 7 year old kid loves pokemon

also, apparently a whole horde of 30+ year old men do too

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Barudak posted:

El Shaddai is a bad game that did its absolute hardest to mine the teeny tiny source material it was working with and produced some really cool visual levels. Try it for a five

yeah it’s not a good game but it’s worth checking out for the visuals and sexy lucifer

uh there’s apparently a sequel too but it’s just a mediocre looking wizardry style rpg I think

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

fridge corn posted:

Yeah I had to give up on guitar hero completely when making the switch from CRT to led tvs. Game was absolutely unplayable on an led

Until they added the lag compensation option it was. I played that poo poo on a few TVs and the delay would be anywhere from 20 ms all the way to 130 ms. You can work around the 20 ms even though it will feel off but it was straight unplayable on higher latency.

Rock Band was the superior plastic instrument game. Way way way WAY more songs available than Guitar Hero.

Its a shame about Rock Band 4 looking like poo poo and having very little backwards compatability. Why would I play a game with 40 songs, with only a few I like, when i had hundreds of songs in Rock Band 3?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

RTS and MOBA games are for losers and turn based strategy is the superior form.

European Union should write a law that made chromatic aberration, vignette and motion blur illegal. They always look sad and they make your game look like somebody's first Unity game.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lobsterminator posted:

European Union should write a law that made chromatic aberration, vignette and motion blur illegal. They always look sad and they make your game look like somebody's first Unity game.

Yes, please. Please.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

lobsterminator posted:

RTS and MOBA games are for losers and turn based strategy is the superior form.

Cuphead looks so much better without all the filters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNsVURz0dNw

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

limp_cheese posted:

Its a shame about Rock Band 4 looking like poo poo and having very little backwards compatability. Why would I play a game with 40 songs, with only a few I like, when i had hundreds of songs in Rock Band 3?

You could play all your old songs though? All DLC bought on your account should work. Main games 1-3, lego and Green day needed a small extra fee to work as DLC.
They even work on XSX and PS5.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

limp_cheese posted:

Until they added the lag compensation option it was. I played that poo poo on a few TVs and the delay would be anywhere from 20 ms all the way to 130 ms. You can work around the 20 ms even though it will feel off but it was straight unplayable on higher latency.

Rock Band was the superior plastic instrument game. Way way way WAY more songs available than Guitar Hero.

The thing that was most frustrating was that my non-musician friends didnt give a poo poo which way or the other, they just tried to match their hits with what was going on the screen, but for me it was torture lol

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

fridge corn posted:

The thing that was most frustrating was that my non-musician friends didnt give a poo poo which way or the other, they just tried to match their hits with what was going on the screen, but for me it was torture lol

It's hosed up regardless of musicianship outside the game once you're playing a music game for more than just playing some party game. The same thing happened way back in the CRT days with Beatmania IIDX 3rd Style with a song called Gambol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S5qLn99Odk The notes lined up with the song, but because the notes were mainly for guitar licks and other stuff that had some lead-in time from when you hit the button, and the samples played based on when you hit the button instead of playing with the correct timing but with a little sound effect that indicated you played it wrong, getting the correct timing for that song was particularly difficult even though it was a really easy song to pass. Most people who played could clear it, but it was infamous for being ridiculously hard to get a good score on because there was pretty much nothing in the song that you could rely on as a kind of metronome because when you hit a note wrong, the sample would play with your wrong timing. Same poo poo will also happen in fighting games if you're playing on a tv with input lag and you're the only person who cares.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 25, 2021

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
i kinda want to make an alt in ff14 but it seems like it might be a big waste of time since i already have a level 90 character? since you can play every class with one character

but on the other hand i dont want to spend irl money on a name change and fantasia

but on the third hand wow that's a lot of quests to do again

i dont really care about minions or mounts (since i have the accountwide motorcycle)

what would you do

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I was so high when I played guitar hero that I never noticed any lag

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

signalnoise posted:

It's hosed up regardless of musicianship outside the game once you're playing a music game for more than just playing some party game. The same thing happened way back in the CRT days with Beatmania IIDX 3rd Style with a song called Gambol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S5qLn99Odk The notes lined up with the song, but because the notes were mainly for guitar licks and other stuff that had some lead-in time from when you hit the button, and the samples played based on when you hit the button instead of playing with the correct timing but with a little sound effect that indicated you played it wrong, getting the correct timing for that song was particularly difficult even though it was a really easy song to pass. Most people who played could clear it, but it was infamous for being ridiculously hard to get a good score on because there was pretty much nothing in the song that you could rely on as a kind of metronome because when you hit a note wrong, the sample would play with your wrong timing. Same poo poo will also happen in fighting games if you're playing on a tv with input lag and you're the only person who cares.

Gambol is a particularly bad example to use for this though, because it had stupidly strict timing built into the chart itself. Beatmania (and some other Konami music games) have a weird thing going where timing strictness can vary from song to song, and Gambol is basically the king of that. It’s probably just an artifact of the authoring process for their older games (some old Pop’n Music songs have similar “issues”), but…

…on the “Another” difficulty (originally introduced for bonus remixes, eventually became a de facto “hardest” mode for most songs), Gambol has the exact same notes as it does on Normal. The only difference is your hits are only counted as a Great or a Bad, nothing in between.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
What happened to rhythm games anyhow? I’m not sad to see them go because I have the musical talent of a deaf drunkard so they’re not fun, but I had no ill will towards them. It just seems weird how we had so many DDR’s and Guitar Heroes and elite beat agents and it all just vanished in smoke. Even other genres that “went away” like Schmups still have devoted niche communities (like me) and get regular new releases. I never see any rhythm games on the eshop or similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
I know for the niche Japanese stuff some of it seemed like laziness on the part of the devs and cost considerations. I used to be big into rhythm games and Beatmania had a really long life on the PS2 right from the beginning in 2000 to 2009. Between the new architecture of the PS3, latency and so forth they probably just figured why bother even though they still make the arcade versions (it's Konami so no surprise).

The market also became flooded with Guitar Hero and Rock band games and most people moved on. I love pure rhythm games and wish the genre were more popular on consoles but the same thing happened with adventure games, maybe they'll come back in a few years who knows.

Sounds like Rock Band is still puttering along with DLC though. I know I've seen a lot of games try to combine rhythm elements like Crypt of the Necrodancer but that's a different kind of appeal.

Snyderman fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 26, 2021