Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

On more Trials based questions, are Riesz's summons supposed to be completely useless or is that a bug? I tried using Seraph when I went Starlancer with her and about 75% of the time it did no damage. And I don't mean "It did damage but it was very small numbers," I mean there were no damage numbers because it did absolutely no damage at all. Even when it did do damage numbers they were pitifully small, like 25 HP damage per hit, and it never hit more than four or five times, which means that it was completely useless compared to just smacking them with her spear.

Light-side her summons are pretty middling for damage and are mostly useful when fishing for status effects (Which is a viable use for them on higher difficulties). Dark classes have better summons for damage but Riesz is never going to be mistaken for a caster, even when built for it. Int is still her casting stat too, so if you're not juicing it her summon damage is going to be pretty eh, especially for Light classes.

While all of her summons look like they have some pretty juicy Power values their cast time are also pretty long and her casting strength is pretty poor compared to the dedicated casters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014

:getin:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
All the important ones

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

A+

I wish they'd let Nintendo put Secret of Evermore on the SNES app. I can't imagine Square ever re-releases that game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I forgot all about Secret of Evermore and just read up on it because of that post. It has a super impressive pedigree, wow - The first game Jeremy Soule composed music for, and many of the people who worked on it later went to Humongous Entertainment and spawned Cavedog then made Total Annihilation. Also Daniel Dociu was the art director and he went on to work with NCsoft and Arenanet as the art director for both Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 which have pretty phenomenal art direction.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

I forgot all about Secret of Evermore and just read up on it because of that post. It has a super impressive pedigree, wow - The first game Jeremy Soule composed music for, and many of the people who worked on it later went to Humongous Entertainment and spawned Cavedog then made Total Annihilation. Also Daniel Dociu was the art director and he went on to work with NCsoft and Arenanet as the art director for both Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 which have pretty phenomenal art direction.

i think it's very much the kind of game that all of those people had to cut their teeth on before making the masterpieces they're known for, but as first games go, it's certainly a cut above the norm

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

drat, never knew that. We were just making Guild Wars jokes on the last page. That game and Terranigma need some modern lovin

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

gandlethorpe posted:

drat, never knew that. We were just making Guild Wars jokes on the last page. That game and Terranigma need some modern lovin

So does Illusion of Gaia.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think at the time there just weren’t many people making video games, too.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Spacebump posted:

So does Illusion of Gaia.

I would literally kill for a Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma collection.

Secret of Evermore was one of my favorites as a kid and as far as weird 16-bit RPG’s go is still pretty good. Would love a remaster with legitimate 2-player couch co-op. Was it ever released in Japan? Release it in a pack with Startropics 1 & 2!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I would literally kill for a Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma collection.

Secret of Evermore was one of my favorites as a kid and as far as weird 16-bit RPG’s go is still pretty good. Would love a remaster with legitimate 2-player couch co-op. Was it ever released in Japan? Release it in a pack with Startropics 1 & 2!

Imagine any of those games getting a Trials of Mana style remake.

Hopefully the Trials of Mana remake is followed by either a new Mana game in that style or a Legend of Mana remake in that style. In a perfect world, the next 3d Mana would bring back co-op.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think most people are currently posting in the Legend of Mana thread and already know this, but that livestream announced...

Trials of Mana remake ported to phones
New smartphone crossover game Echoes of Mana where "All characters from previous Mana games will be playable."
A Legend of Mana anime
A new console game.

Like I posted that link about the stream earlier in the thread but wasn't expecting it to be this loaded, drat.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Excited for new console game. Mobile games can gently caress off forever.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Trials remake was extremely good and I hope that they iterate on it in this new console game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The new console game is a remake of Secret of Evermore, they just forgot they already released it before.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Seiken Densetsu 3-2 please.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hellioning posted:

Seiken Densetsu 3-2 please.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://youtu.be/LhTkT9ViGP8

That’s the mobile game, where’s the trailer for the console game?!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There wasn't one, they just said it exists in the stream at some point.

The mobile game also had gameplay shown in that stream that's not in the trailers being reposted.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Bring back that weird mobile LoM spinoff game that was on old phones.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mega64 posted:

Bring back that weird mobile LoM spinoff game that was on old phones.

It's included in the remaster!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think I also saw a mobile game that is just the crab crushing minigame from LoM.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://youtu.be/LhTkT9ViGP8

That’s the mobile game, where’s the trailer for the console game?!

Is this another gacha? How did the gameplay look like since I cant seem to find a trailer of it.

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 28, 2021

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Here's the stream:

https://twitter.com/Seiken_PR/status/1409071485914779655

It's at the 2/3 mark, iirc. It uses live2d art so don't expect much. Gameplay-wise looks fine, though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Someone on this team really loves putting men into complicated crop-tops.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Someone on this team really loves putting men into complicated crop-tops.

Bless them

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

It's included in the remaster!

I didn't mean Ring Ring Land, unless they did add that other mobile game and nobody ever mentioned it anywhere.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/VGDensetsu/status/1409580795623350276

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I feel like being an artist for SE can be kinda cool sometimes because they produce the most random images from franchises

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I like how nobody has any consistent idea of what the male LoM protagonist looks like or how his outfit works.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I thought they were both girls and I thought that was pretty cool. I didn't know it was a male until, years later, I actually read the words during character creation.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

jokes posted:

I thought they were both girls and I thought that was pretty cool. I didn't know it was a male until, years later, I actually read the words during character creation.
I beat the game a long time ago. Back then I thought after the final boss, the player is sacrificed/ascended and becomes the new Mana Goddess. So your thinking would have fit that.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://primagames.com/feature/interview-legend-mana-producer-masaru-oyamada-remastering-oddball-classic

Tiny interview with the current producer of the Mana series and... Prima? Okay.

Anyway apparently they still had the assets for the backgrounds which is probably why those were upressed and not the sprites. And it sounds like the pocketstation game was rebuilt from scratch.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Phantasium posted:

Tiny interview with the current producer of the Mana series and... Prima? Okay.

drat, when they release their official strategy guide, they'll have some pretty cool behind the scenes details.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

massive betrayal to bradygames

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

poo poo, hit the wall. Only 2 quests I have are for areas I don't have yet (I, Cactus/Golem one)

Luckily you can turn encounters off so I'll just go running around.

The fortune teller said to find something about ancestors, sounds like it means something, but she mostly just says nonsense so I dunno.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Crossposting from the LoM thread.

Mega64 posted:

A brief but still neat interview with Mana Producer Masaru Oyamada and Composer Yoko Shimomura.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbC8RhbjCAY

Also didn’t realize the Mana series hit 30 years last month. Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden released in Japan on June 28, 1991!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Legend of Mana remaster seems to have just come out for phones in Japan. Not sure if that was announced before. There were pictures of a Dudbear plush and a restock of the Japanese SE for LoM. I imagine the phone port will come out here eventually, but not the other things.

Somewhat relatedly that Egglia game from Brownies got announced for a Switch port on the 16th in Japan at some point. They did say it would come out later elsewhere, but as I understand it the phone version the rest of the world got was only like, the first chapter or something so maybe it'll take longer to translate? idk, I could never manage to build the interest to play it. Replacing all of LoM's gameplay with some board game thing made it real boring.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I got my wife a Switch for Christmas, and I'm going to pick up Collection of Mana for nostalgia reasons, as I played the coop mode on my best friend's SNES back in the day. Are any of the other games/remakes worth it on top of that? I never played Trials/SD3.

Any other recommendations for games with a good story and casual-ish drop in coop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The Remake of Trials is pretty much the same story-wise, but the gameplay system got changed a lot and allows a lot more involvement in terms of character building. It's definitely worth playing through.