Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I gave up on Kingmaker after 30 hours despite really liking it, there was just too much of... everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I bought and refunded Dreamscaper because it just didn't feel good to play compared to Hades. But I'm still wondering about it.

Has anyone played a bit more of it? Does it get much better?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If the complexity of D:OS2 is what scared you off then the Pathfinder series is definitely not the antidote to that.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Wow. I just realized I can add games to Ignore list the steam keeps recommending. Like Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding and other SOE rootkit/keylogger games. I can hide games with "free to play" and "anime" tags. I can hide the New World game which fries stupidly expensive 3000-series GPU's which is an absolute NO in this GPU market. I can hide early access games! I wish I had found out about all this earlier!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ihmemies posted:

SOE rootkit/keylogger games

lol if you say so

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I will never not link this screenshot of my attempt at a lawful good Kingmaker playthrough:

You can take both options 1 and 2 by the way.

You have to take lawful neutral / lawful evil options regularly or you'll lose lawfulness.

The story is utter shite as well.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

lol if you say so

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

https://in.ign.com/days-gone/159155/news/days-gone-pc-data-collection-policy-is-a-privacy-nightmare

:tinfoil:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Is Control worth playing if I don't care about the action and just want a 3D version of the SCP wiki?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Even if you still want to hold the rootkit thing against Sony BMG, Sony BMG is not Sony Interactive Entertainment. For all intents and purposes they're different companies.

Also the source for Days Gone having a keylogger is some random dudes angry Steam review and if you actually read the EULA there's nothing of the sort about recording keystrokes lol

https://imgur.com/a/ugJtn1t

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SimonChris posted:

Is Control worth playing if I don't care about the action and just want a 3D version of the SCP wiki?
My brother adores it and I recently had a fun time with it. Though I didn't get too deep into the postgame DLC as I got distracted with other games after it crashed during a cutscene :downs: As everyone says, Launch is #1 top tier priority.

In my insane opinion the shotgun weapon form is more satisfying and versatile to spam on most enemies, while pierce is less about "OP bullshit gun" and more "Well this flying/really tall enemy is too far to shotgun and they just evaded me throwing things at him quickly twice in a row, time for railgun" before I go back to shotgun and launch oclock.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Control has a bunch of accessibility options you can use to tweak the difficulty, so if you want you can just steamroll through the combat

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SimonChris posted:

Is "click heads" and "press button to delete an enemy with a rock" good enough action for you? If yes then yes.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

SimonChris posted:

yeah just upgrade the power that lets you fling rocks at enemies and you can trivialise the combat, which is no good anyway. the story's fun and original and it feels like the game's plot is about to go head first into bog standard video gaming boring poo poo at all times but it never does, always manages to be more clever and interesting than that. i have no idea why they added loot and rpg mechanics to it though, which are just kinda vestigial.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You rarely see a game with this much self-awareness tbh.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Foul Fowl posted:

yeah just upgrade the power that lets you fling rocks at enemies and you can trivialise the combat, which is no good anyway. the story's fun and original and it feels like the game's plot is about to go head first into bog standard video gaming boring poo poo at all times but it never does, always manages to be more clever and interesting than that. i have no idea why they added loot and rpg mechanics to it though, which are just kinda vestigial.
A headshot multiplier mod to shove into the pistol is incredibly hilarious if you get one early, at least. Particularly when your launch and energy isn't so hot yet.

"Oh no, I have no energy and I don't have any bigger guns yet!-and they all died. Good job pistol."

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Pathfinder comes from the RPG school of design where you get 100 different skills to choose from so players can feel clever for picking one of the 3 good ones.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

I can hide the New World game which fries stupidly expensive 3000-series GPU's which is an absolute NO in this GPU market.

This was a manufacturing defect in the cards, they would have fried themselves eventually anyway

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The bright side is that New World exploded those cards while they were all still in warranty :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Merry Christmas, thread. Remember to play a game you love today.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I will be playing all the Resident Evil 7 DLC and I will enjoy it. Merry Christmas.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

I will be playing all the Resident Evil 7 DLC and I will enjoy it. Merry Christmas.

Christmas is the day you should spend time with the family after all!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

StrixNebulosa posted:

No access to a PC or console until January 8th but Merry X-mas to you as well!

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

SimonChris posted:

Yep. Control rules.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SimonChris posted:

what I managed to get through was about 75% the former and 25% the latter

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Prey (the Arkane one) is free on Epic today, it's good play it

Apparently it even includes the Mooncrash expansion which is ironically a better Arkane timeloop game than Deathloop despite being an earlier and lower budget attempt

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh dang I might have to pick that up for Mooncrash, thanks for the heads up

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

repiv posted:

Prey (the Arkane one) is free on Epic today, it's good play it

Apparently it even includes the Mooncrash expansion which is ironically a better Arkane timeloop game than Deathloop despite being an earlier and lower budget attempt

I second this sentiment.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

SimonChris posted:

Use the accessibility/difficulty options to set it to auto aim and one hit kills. Then the game becomes a fun investigative platformer with occasional bouts of rapid clicking.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 25, 2021

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

SimonChris posted:

The combat is constant, repetitive and always interrupting the interesting parts making getting places a boring slog.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
yeah actually i think a big part of why i enjoyed control was because i just had a new laptop and it looked loving good on it. but the combat actually was very boring and there was way too much of it. maybe they needed to time travel back to 2003 and get the people who made max payne 2 to make the gameplay for them.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am going to sit by the fireplace and start FFXII on the Switch with a few sour ales in hand soon, and play some more FFVII Remake later tonight on the big screen. Hope you play a game you love today as well.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Nier Automata has become my Christmas game. I didn't really intend to but I've been doing a playthrough of it every Christmas since launch. It's such a good game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jack Trades posted:

Nier Automata has become my Christmas game. I didn't really intend to but I've been doing a playthrough of it every Christmas since launch. It's such a good game.

Oh, so you're actually finishing it for the first time this year?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Oh, so you're actually finishing it for the first time this year?

What?

Nier Automata not Nier Replicant ver√1.5

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 25, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

chglcu posted:

The combat is constant, repetitive and always interrupting the interesting parts making getting places a boring slog.

except when you're farming for upgrades, then you can never find enough dudes to fight :v:

(IMO the game is flawed but still very good)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Merry Christmas to you too Strix (and the rest of this thread).

I might get to play something more substantial tonight, but this morning I snuck in a quick round of Mortal Glory, which is a gladiator tactics run-based game I picked up yesterday. Basically you are the manager of a gladiator group, and you recruit people to fight for you, equip them, and climb up the ranks through about 20 fights. The big difference from some other games of this ilk is that you also control the tactical combat in the fights. Very simple old school crpg type gameplay, reminds me of something like the old Exile, albeit a bite sized version.

It’s got that roguelike philosophy of no saves or resets, so there’s some permanence to your decisions. One-person dev, so it’s fairly low budget, but definitely worth the time I’ve put into it so far. I got the version with the DLC, which adds a longer career mode and some extra races of recruits.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I loving love RImworld and I'm gonna play it today!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I finally put Hades on my wishlist as I think I'm finally ready to play it now that overhype has worn off...and immediately multiple people got it for me. God bless.

It's installing now, and I'm gonna play it! And other things! My partner found a spare controller so I can finally play games like Okami again! :toot:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Jordan7hm posted:

Merry Christmas to you too Strix (and the rest of this thread).

I might get to play something more substantial tonight, but this morning I snuck in a quick round of Mortal Glory, which is a gladiator tactics run-based game I picked up yesterday. Basically you are the manager of a gladiator group, and you recruit people to fight for you, equip them, and climb up the ranks through about 20 fights. The big difference from some other games of this ilk is that you also control the tactical combat in the fights. Very simple old school crpg type gameplay, reminds me of something like the old Exile, albeit a bite sized version.

It’s got that roguelike philosophy of no saves or resets, so there’s some permanence to your decisions. One-person dev, so it’s fairly low budget, but definitely worth the time I’ve put into it so far. I got the version with the DLC, which adds a longer career mode and some extra races of recruits.

Thanks for posting this. Grabbed it based on your post, as it sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jack Trades posted:

What?

Nier Automata not Nier Replicant ver√1.5

I know the last two endings for Automata don't make you replay that much, but didn't B require a full replay? Replicant only forces you to redo half of the game.