Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the only bad thing I’ll say about flamme rouge is how long it takes to set up vs how long a race lasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I don't think we need to tell people what to do about Kickstarter. I think we need to warn people of the issues with Kickstarter, but if they want to spend their money on Kickstarters that's on them.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Kickstarter runs on fomo, but if something is good you can just get it later + extras for cheap

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mayveena posted:

I don't think we need to tell people what to do about Kickstarter. I think we need to warn people of the issues with Kickstarter, but if they want to spend their money on Kickstarters that's on them.

How is that different than telling somebody Talisman is a bad game? Don’t buy kickstarter gsmes is a really good blanket rule and it somebody wants to know why it can be explained in more detail, just like any other recommendation we put in here.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

talisman is not a bad game. what is wrong with you freaks?!?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Plenty of good games I got through kickstarter that I am glad to have in my collection

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FirstAidKite posted:

Might play the Boss Babe board game later today. Might not. A world brimming with choices awaits me. I will think about doing them and then probably just sleep instead. Gotta learn how to play board games in my dreams.

Guy who has only played Boss Babe, playing his second board game: Getting a lot of 'Boss Babe' vibes from this...

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Crackbone posted:

How is that different than telling somebody Talisman is a bad game? Don’t buy kickstarter gsmes is a really good blanket rule and it somebody wants to know why it can be explained in more detail, just like any other recommendation we put in here.

A lot of people use Kickstarter sensibly. Perhaps for you it's inherently bad or evil but we won't be listened to if we blanket say Kickstarter is bad. It's like Minecraft in Management games. Minecraft is genuinely a bad game, however we reference it in the Management Games thread because it's the biggest game on the planet. And Kickstarter is the biggest board game service out there. So we need to acknowledge it and explain its pitfalls.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Don’t buy Kickstarter games because they’re a crypto site now is a suggestion I can get behind.

But I agree in general, for newcomers there is zero reason to wade into the KS part of the hobby when there are hundreds of good games actually available now.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Don’t buy Kickstarter games because they’re a crypto site now is a suggestion I can get behind.

But I agree in general, for newcomers there is zero reason to wade into the KS part of the hobby when there are hundreds of good games actually available now.

Yeah just explain why.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Here's my list of games good enough to mention in the OP

Worker Placement
Caylus | Medium
Feast for Odin | Heavy
The Gallerist | Heavy

Action Selection/Unique Mechanic
Concordia | Medium
Endeavor | Medium
Great Western Trail | Medium
Orleans | Medium
Brass Birmingham | Heavy
Gaia Project | Heavy

Auction
The Estates | Light
Keyflower | Medium

Dudes on a Map
Pax Pamir 2E | Medium
Inis | Medium
Dominant Species | Heavy

Free-Form Logistics (Splotter)
Bus | Medium
Great Zimbabwe | Medium
Indonesia | Heavy
FCM | Heavy

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Except that a lot of Kickstarter games aren’t available in similarity elsewhere. Maybe the cube pushers (Weather Machine ~ Lisboa), but not the more experimental games.

Someone tell me where I can buy a game like Etherfields or Vampire Chapters right now.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 25, 2021

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Mayveena posted:

Yeah just explain why.

This is the reasonable take.

What's with the posters who want the new OP to just be tailored to them and their opinions instead of information to help people better understand the current state of the hobby?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

I can't believe you would say that.

What if money were beautiful?

Celo, pronounced /ˈtselo/ means ‘purpose’ in Esperanto.

The spirit of Esperanto and auxiliary languages, is to equip speakers with a means to connect, engage, and build trust with someone who speaks a different native tongue. In a similar spirit, we are aiming to create a new platform to connect people globally and bring financial stability to those who need it most. We believe blockchain technology is one of the most exciting innovations in recent history and as a team we look to push the boundaries of what is possible with it today. More importantly, we are driven by purpose – to solve real-world problems such as lack of access to sound currency, or friction for cash-transfer programs aimed to alleviate poverty.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Kickstarter for board games has been great, but nobody relying on OP for suggestions should use it. And gently caress crypto.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Kickstarter just wants to use blockchain so they can claim they’ve decentralized and not be liable for refunds / bad projects and make it so people can sell their pledges. They can say they have no part in any transaction and just connect backers and creators.

They don’t give a poo poo about “crypto”, it’s the “not a store” thing they’ve been emphasizing more.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Slimy Hog posted:

What's with the posters who want the new OP to just be tailored to them and their opinions instead of information to help people better understand the current state of the hobby?

People who have been in the hobby so much they forget what it’s like to be new to it. I’ve had problems teaching Deep Sea Adventure to people, much less something like TTR or Catan.

Azul is my go-to recommendation and gift game for people who are conceptually interested in games. It’s very pretty, good tactile bits, and you can do rules as you play (a hugely important thing for people)

The value of introductory games is that you have about 5 minutes of attention span in a person not really into games to get them engaged. This is not the person reading the OP, it’s the people they are playing with. Anyone who is actively interested in the hobby and is making time and patience for rules/learning can play, anything even an 18xx. So I think an OP needs like two sections:

1. Are you just poking your head in to see what’s up? Need a game to get through a family event or amuse your kids? Check out Target or other big box store, they actually have decent selections, look for XYZ. Don’t read the thread. Here’s some next step games if you like those.

2. Are you a sicko hobbyist? Do you want some fuckin cubes? Did you just finish a graduate program overseas and you haven’t thought about board games in 5 years? (A real conversation i had recently) This is the poo poo to get into.

Megasabin posted:

Here's my list of games good enough to mention in the OP

Worker Placement
Caylus | Medium
Feast for Odin | Heavy
The Gallerist | Heavy

Action Selection/Unique Mechanic
Concordia | Medium
Endeavor | Medium
Great Western Trail | Medium
Orleans | Medium
Brass Birmingham | Heavy
Gaia Project | Heavy

Auction
The Estates | Light
Keyflower | Medium

Dudes on a Map
Pax Pamir 2E | Medium
Inis | Medium
Dominant Species | Heavy

Free-Form Logistics (Splotter)
Bus | Medium
Great Zimbabwe | Medium
Indonesia | Heavy
FCM | Heavy

This is all sicko hobbyist stuff for instance. None of these games are good for an introduction, but they are very good.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

You know what gently caress it, just make the OP a direct link to whatever the newest CMON Zombicide KS is.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 25, 2021

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Slimy Hog posted:

Current state of the hobby kinda sucks if you’re looking for anything new. There’s a good uptick in easy to get 18xx, but euros have gotten more complex over time without any real benefit, KS is mostly filled with bloated minis games or yet another midweight euro, and LGS are filled with both the MWEs and latest roll and write spinoffs. Now, if you don’t have any of those they’re mostly interchangeable and go hog wild, but they’re not like evergreens like a Knizia or dominion which continue to be staples 10, 20+ years.

So if you’re gonna have an OP that talks about the best in genre games, you’re still going to put T&E, samurai, and modern art in there. They’re still the best in class in TYOOL 2021.

Now distribution issues and access is another matter. Blue lagoon or Babylonia might be the play if you can’t get the originals. But they’re mostly even, though I see concessions of the more odorous contemporary euro design in them.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 25, 2021

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Honestly, the best way to get into the hobby these days is probably the game section at Target. Move past the party games and the IPs(and even some of those are really good) and they've got a pretty solid selection.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Though don’t get me wrong I keep falling into the trap of buying cute af euros featuring animals. They turn out to be milquetoast and mostly solitary puzzles and not the next Knizia. :negative:

My complaint there is there is nothing stopping anyone from sticking cute animal meeples into the next samurai and T&E. Heck, TTD has pastel camels!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

El Fideo posted:

Honestly, the best way to get into the hobby these days is probably the game section at Target. Move past the party games and the IPs(and even some of those are really good) and they've got a pretty solid selection.

I would agree that having a section of "generally available at target and is good" might be a very helpful section.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Slimy Hog posted:

I hope my list and reasoning doesn’t come off this way. I do think player count and weight is the best way to organize an OP of recommended games.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Feels like y’all are over complicating this.

Have a section called “if you’re new to modern board games” and gather the lists I’ve seen in the last couple pages. Stick to the easier stuff.

Have a section called “if you’ve played a few++ modern board games” that says “tell us what you like and what you liked about it and we’ll take it from there.”

That’s all you need.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ignore that poster, we should write a CYOA that leads you to the board game of your needs

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Crackbone posted:

You know what gently caress it, just make the OP a direct link to whatever the newest CMON Zombicide KS is.

This is quite the reaction. Are you okay?

Fate Accomplice posted:

Have a section called “if you’re new to modern board games” and gather the lists I’ve seen in the last couple pages. Stick to the easier stuff.

Have a section called “if you’ve played a few++ modern board games” that says “tell us what you like and what you liked about it and we’ll take it from there.”

That’s all you need.

This is another reasonable take

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Megasabin posted:

Dudes on a Map
Pax Pamir 2E | Medium
Inis | Medium
Dominant Species | Heavy

I consider Dominant Species to be worker placement but other than that I think weight is an interesting thing here.

I would have put Dominant Species as the lightest of the three. Its certainly longer but its not complicated as such, whilst Pax Pamir has some fairly difficult choices in it.

Is weight partially a function of length? I think it certainly can be, I would certainly alway choose short games as intro games.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Fate Accomplice posted:

That’s all you need.

Yeah pretty much this, i’m just :words:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Speaking with both my poster and moderator hats on, I'd prefer it if the new thread allowed discussion of Kickstarted games even if the recommendation is 'don't'. Which is probably just a matter of phrasing if you put that clause in there.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Oh yeah for sure, no one is saying "never discuss kickstarters" just that the advice for new players getting into the hobby will be "generally avoid until you get a good sense of what you like and don't like"

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

potatocubed posted:

Speaking with both my poster and moderator hats on, I'd prefer it if the new thread allowed discussion of Kickstarted games even if the recommendation is 'don't'. Which is probably just a matter of phrasing if you put that clause in there.

If we didn't talk about kickstarter games that would rule out Gloomhaven and Spirit Island which would obviously be insane.

Backing kickstarters is fraught business because unless you know roughly what you're looking at it hard to tell what's going to be good or bad. That generally makes them bad for people new to boardgames but certainly shouldn't place them off limits.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Yeah, I thought that was a given.

"Don't recommend Kickstarters in the OP" <> "Don't recommend Kickstarters", much less discuss them.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
OP needs to have something about Kickstarter games in it. Not necessarily a recommendation or whatever, but it’s a big platform and AAA publishers are using it more and more.

I wouldn’t put a red for or against, just a note of what it is and why your game will probably be six months late.

Also, a link to RATS High Tea at Seas

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Aramoro posted:

If we didn't talk about kickstarter games that would rule out Gloomhaven and Spirit Island which would obviously be insane.

Backing kickstarters is fraught business because unless you know roughly what you're looking at it hard to tell what's going to be good or bad. That generally makes them bad for people new to boardgames but certainly shouldn't place them off limits.

My interpretation was "if you are new to the hobby, there's no reason to back a kickstarter for a new game", not "don't discuss anything that was previously in kickstarter", which seems like more than reasonable advice.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
More of a 'check out any of these thousands of good games readily available instead of backing something unproven that probably won't be out for years while you're still figuring out your tastes', really.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

This happened before so someone better be getting busy writing that OP just about now. I’ll be hanging like a sword of Damocles on this thread until then

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GF coming in with the random cool board game for xmas. BGG says it's 8/10

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

My wife spent a bunch of money during the Hollandspiele sale

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

GF coming in with the random cool board game for xmas. BGG says it's 8/10

For a moment I thought this was an Age of Sigmar product due to the font.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I got two games for Christmas this year. The Great Zimbabwe and Pass the Pigs: Big Pig Edition.

The extreme difference amused me greatly, but I have fond memories of Pass the Pigs growing up and this is my first Splotter so I'm excited for both.