Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

The argument right now is literally that people are being discharged faster, so "mild hospitalizations" is no longer a thread joke. Just a bunch of people who apparently think it's extremely normal for a ton of people to end up in the hospital with a "cold."

Pretty sure we're going to get some unironic variation on mild deaths when people start dying in droves.

I personally am preparing for in depth debate over the definition of "but what does hospitalization even like really mean if you think about it maaaan"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Paradoxish posted:

The argument right now is literally that people are being discharged faster, so "mild hospitalizations" is no longer a thread joke. Just a bunch of people who apparently think it's extremely normal for a ton of people to end up in the hospital with a "cold."

Pretty sure we're going to get some unironic variation on mild deaths when people start dying in droves.

i do not exaggerate or engage in hyperbole when i say that the 'mildpilled' phenomena is an instance of mass hysteria

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I have that exact tackle box in pink for my weed stuff, it's been a reliable friend for many years :keke:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Paradoxish posted:

"it's only people with comorbidities that are dying at high rates!"

please ignore that basically 70% of Americans have some that that would put them in that category.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Reverend Dr posted:

i do not exaggerate or engage in hyperbole when i say that the 'mildpilled' phenomena is an instance of mass hysteria

you are not wrong, but by that framing most typical American behavior could be considered mass hysteria with regards to the minimizing of things like climate change

it will be interesting if the future history text books, should they ever be written, frame it that way

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

please mildly die at home

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
merry christmas covid

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
doomers watching the Christmas fucknsuck at Applebee's

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ughhhh posted:

I just have a set of pancake p100s that i use for woodworking. When i do use them in the shop, i do tend to throw them out every month or so since they become hard to breath with. I guess the 7093 are the same thing with a plastic shell that protects form moisture and dirt? Dont really understand all the different cartridges and their uses other than p100 are >n95 and you need something more robust for organic vapors like teargas. Or the replacement/throw away schedule.

Particulate filters expire when they become hard to breathe through. It sounds too simple, but that is the legitimate guidance for them.

The 7093 cartridges have two major markets: healthcare and industrial work with things like asbestos that require trips through decontamination showers. Fluid resistance is valued there. I use them because the extra cost is negligible, so why not?

The pancakes are fine if you like them.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

it rules and we’re gonna have people saying “those are just retroactively reported hospitalizations and deaths, OmiCRoN iS MiLD” until the second week of January or so

There’s also going to be a bunch of the old Three Stat Monte going around.

“Well yeah cases are high but we shouldn’t even be reporting case numbers any more because vaccines exist, hospitalizations and deaths are the only things that matter.”

“Well yeah hospitalizations are up, but deaths are still low and that’s what actually matters.”

“Yeah the dead outnumber the living and the few remaining strong men are cutting out their own bones to add to the municipal reaper appeasement piles, but those are lagging indicators, cases are down! We’re through the worst of it, we need to open back up!”

Then we do it again.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Shifty Pony posted:

please ignore that basically 70% of Americans have some that that would put them in that category.

Honestly think this is too logical for the way people are acting right now.

It's going to be something completely absurd and off-the-wall like claiming that the people who are dying only have mild cases and they're getting sick in the hospital, or they'd be fine with better treatment if the hospitals weren't so overwhelmed (probably going to be true eventually), or something else that lets them continue to claim that there's literally no risk at all.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wish they weren't pink, it clashes with my preferred color pallet

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
mild ARDS

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

who do i have to suck and/or gently caress to get access to all of that

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Dolphin posted:

jncos and a korn t shirt, works every time

This look is really trendy right now, not even joking

Goobish
May 31, 2011

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Objective truth exists. Actual fascists exist. People calling each other names they don't understand isn't the same thing.

Fascist: " I'm glad covid is killing them democrats. It saves us the trouble of doing it ourselves. "

Everybody else: "It's a good thing covid is killing those fascists. It means less people trying to kill me when they try to institute Gilead next election. "

You: "Hmm, both sides want death so they are the same".

That is some truth is in the middle bs. Fascists dying of covid will help this country survive a little longer.

Let's try another, easier thought. If a pandemic was rampaging thru Germany in 1943, are jews wishing for concentration camp guards to die morally the same as the nazis wishing for the jews to die?

I know your response here is that in America, both sides see each other as the fascists, but believing something doesn't make it true.

Maybe letting the hospitals fill up with people you don't like is equally bad for you (assuming you like yourself) and the people you do like. But as someone pointed out before, that's okay because we'll let the burnt out healthcare workers sort it out while we argue on the internet about what fascism in the US looks like.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
In america, our sides are increasingly outright fascists and a "center" that is 100% committed to free-market capitalism and would also really, really rather not have to make decisions around who they compromise with / make concessions to at this time of their lives.

The fash want me and my family dead through active measures, their "opponents" think that's a little uncouth to say. The result seems to be that in american government, I have plenty of enemies and plenty of people utterly indifferent to my existence but no friends. C'est la vie.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

I got into an argument with some ultraconfident moron who pointed to rising hospitalizations as itself ironclad proof that omicron is mild. he said that if you look at hospitalization curves from previous waves and compare them against case growth curves, omicron hospitalization:cases slope is significantly less steep

Once he busted that out I knew he was a lost cause

It's mild and short of, like, hundreds of kids dying, nothing will change people's minds.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

I wish they weren't pink, it clashes with my preferred color pallet

embrace the tacticool look

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Paradoxish posted:

Honestly think this is too logical for the way people are acting right now.

It's going to be something completely absurd and off-the-wall like claiming that the people who are dying only have mild cases and they're getting sick in the hospital, or they'd be fine with better treatment if the hospitals weren't so overwhelmed (probably going to be true eventually), or something else that lets them continue to claim that there's literally no risk at all.

lol I bet at least one person is going to float “omicron is mild, people just keep going to the hospital with it and then catching delta and that’s why we have all these corpse trucks everywhere”

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shifty Pony posted:

the npc response to this is "natural selection always wins *shrugs*"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Real Mean Queen posted:

lol I bet at least one person is going to float “omicron is mild, people just keep going to the hospital with it and then catching delta and that’s the problem”
Wow have you considered writing a rationalist substack?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's mild and short of, like, hundreds of kids dying, nothing will change people's minds.

:thunk:

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

mystes posted:

Wow have you considered writing a rationalist substack?

I don’t know what that means but it sounds lame

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

My ex is an ER nurse and she's on FB threatening to stab the next 30-year old patient with a pozz'd rapid test and zero symptoms who walks through the door.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Real Mean Queen posted:

I don’t know what that means but it sounds lame
It's like a blog but you're super smart and argue from ~first principals~ and maybe invoke bayesian reasoning for your dumb preconceived notions.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

My ex is an ER nurse and she's on FB threatening to stab the next 30-year old patient with a pozz'd rapid test and zero symptoms who walks through the door.

probably the best place to get stabbed at

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

What sucks is that people are already using these stories to try to counteract rising hospitalizations, even though someone with no symptoms who walks into an ER for a test isn't included in hospitalization figures at all.

Also the fact that this poo poo is happening at all is a direct result of our failure to provide good messaging and adequate testing infrastructure. We're going to respond by telling people not to get tested at all.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

sitting here on christmas, waiting for the covid fully encompass my body

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Zeroisanumber posted:

nice meltdown

tthoughts and prayers to our frontline (not you) heroes

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

isn’t this happening because they need official documentation of covid and the ER is the only place they won’t be turned away for no insurance?

lol. good country

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
^that too

Zeroisanumber posted:

We've all been told to get the mabs as soon as possible, what else are they supposed to do.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/davidlevin123/status/1474531552298258434

look closely

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

triple sulk posted:

sitting here on christmas, waiting for the covid fully encompass my body

look to your left. look to your right. Covid is everywhere

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Reverend Dr posted:

'mildpilled'
thats me

im mildpilled

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

well at least she's your ex.

spatula posted:

isn’t this happening because they need official documentation of covid and the ER is the only place they won’t be turned away for no insurance?

lol. good country

that's part of it, yes. part of it is also "YOU GOTTA TEST TEST TEST TEST OH MY poo poo IT'S POSITIVE GO TO YOUR LCAL HSPITAL AND GET A PCR RIGHT NOW" poo poo.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Strep Vote posted:

We've all been told to get the mabs as soon as possible, what else are they supposed to do.

These articles about asymptomatic patients clogging up ERs have been building for a week or two now, and the end result is going to be discouraging testing and keeping people away from hospitals until it's too late to provide much help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
my spouse works at a clinic and is on call this holiday weekend. she usually gets 5 calls a weekend on average. she has already received 30+ calls in 36 hours, and the vast majority of them are Covid related

and it's nowhere near the peak yet

:stare: