Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Seedge posted:

This is not a thing that happens in the first movie. The only person an Agent kills in the first movie is Neo, briefly.

Wrong - Mouse pulls out two guns and is immediately murdered by a bunch of soldiers/cops/Agents - the rest of them high tail it the gently caress out of there, there’s a brutal fight where Morpheus gets easily manhandled

There’s lots of ways the first movie makes the Agents (or even just regular soldiers!) a distinctly dangerous threat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

pospysyl posted:

Nope. Bugs saw Neo when she was a prisoner in the Matrix. Unless they created a sub-Matrix after his suicide attempt, Neo and Trinity are sharing it with others.

Yeah. theres also dialogue early on indicating that swarms are spread/clustered around the world so there isn’t like a consistent density to them. So they could at least tell how much swarm was in the area in some form

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

DaveKap posted:

They show footage of the original trilogy of movies and say "this is footage of your video game" and they also show Keanu in VR so I guess it was... fully realistic VR.

1999 with Playstation 9 technology. I guess even in that reality the Dreamcast never had a chance.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

pospysyl posted:

Nope. Bugs saw Neo when she was a prisoner in the Matrix. Unless they created a sub-Matrix after his suicide attempt, Neo and Trinity are sharing it with others.

Yeah my understanding is that it happens after that event.

[edit]
I guess its me that is wrong, but this is the only way the bot thing makes sense. :cripes:

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 25, 2021

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Also, during the bot bombing scene, one of the bots abandons his wife in bed. If there were only Neo, Trinity, programs, and visitors in the Matrix, why would the wife be shocked at her husband jumping out the window? Wouldn't she bomb them too?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When we see the farms after Neo wakes up again it looks like there isn’t as many humans inside them as there was in the original, showing that humans can be set free if they want too. So they populated it with bots to make the world seem just as dense as it should be and also to have some fun contingencies for when poo poo goes wonky.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’m pretty sure Perfect Dark allowed you to have a mix of humans and bots in multiplayer, I’m sure the sentient robots that overtook mankind can figure it out.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Ichabod Tane posted:

this movie sure won't get over reminiscing

this constant flashbacks and seeing the old movies really drives home how bad this movie is in comparison.

The first 30 minutes of the movie got me. I was like huh, i wonder where this is going and then it got all "wink-wink" about retreading the same territory and lo, thats the entire movie so far.

HorseLord posted:

The Scream making GBS threads Reviewer @ShittingReviewer

time to livetweet the new matrix 🧵

first off they're just doing the beginning of the matrix 1 again only there's a blue haired sjw watching in the corner. that didn't happen in the first movie so this an obvious continuity error. i can't believe they could gently caress up so badly

💬 10 ♻️ 45.9K ⭐50.2K

Crazy idea: finish watching the movie before forming your expert opinion on it. ideally by paying attention instead of having it on in the background while you scroll your phone

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

The Dave posted:

I’m pretty sure Perfect Dark allowed you to have a mix of humans and bots in multiplayer, I’m sure the sentient robots that overtook mankind can figure it out.

Maybe the next version of the Matrix can also have DK Mode.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

When we see the farms after Neo wakes up again it looks like there isn’t as many humans inside them as there was in the original, showing that humans can be set free if they want too. So they populated it with bots to make the world seem just as dense as it should be and also to have some fun contingencies for when poo poo goes wonky.

Were you looking at your phone a lot during the movie? It's basically the important point of the plot that Neo and Trinity are plugged in in a unique place.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
just got back home and i thought i didn’t get it but reading the thread i actually learned i got it so much better. six out of ten. loved the cinematic parallels to fate of the furious

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I was on the edge of my seat for the first 40 minutes of so of this movie... They're calling out Warner Brothers by name! They're explicitly mocking the corporate demands Warner Brothers put on a Matrix sequel! The guy who plays Morpheus is making fun of the callbacks and asking if they're too corny! Keanu Reeves and Carrie Ann Moss actually get to have a normal conversation for the first time in the entire series and their chemistry is through the roof!

But then Neo exits the matrix and sadly, most of the interesting meta commentary goes out the window. I wouldn't call the last half "terrible," but it feels like a mediocre matrix sequel - the type of sequel that the first half of the movie openly scoffs at.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 25, 2021

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
also 15 years later i realized one thing: neo is an unimaginative nerd and with the limitless power to shape reality around him he makes a shield

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I also thought it was heavily implied if not explicitly stated that there were now multiple matrixes run by different machine cities following the schism/machine wars and the Analyst "bought" Neo and Trinity to run his particular one. But that may be an overly generous reading

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

HorseLord posted:

Crazy idea: finish watching the movie before forming your expert opinion on it. ideally by paying attention instead of having it on in the background while you scroll your phone

i finished it and wow, it totally sucked. How could I not see that coming an hour and a half into a 2 hour movie???

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

thehoodie posted:

I also thought it was heavily implied if not explicitly stated that there were now multiple matrixes run by different machine cities following the schism/machine wars and the Analyst "bought" Neo and Trinity to run his particular one. But that may be an overly generous reading

I think that was definitely left open for the sequels.

E: and also because it wasn't important to the story being told

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Ichabod Tane posted:

i finished it and wow, it totally sucked. How could I not see that coming an hour and a half into a 2 hour movie???

What if it is you who are the one that sucks. Hm? *raises eyebrow*

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Mike N Eich posted:

Wrong - Mouse pulls out two guns and is immediately murdered by a bunch of soldiers/cops/Agents - the rest of them high tail it the gently caress out of there, there’s a brutal fight where Morpheus gets easily manhandled

There’s lots of ways the first movie makes the Agents (or even just regular soldiers!) a distinctly dangerous threat

Mouse was killed by regular Swat people. I don't recall any agents in the crowd that mag dump into him.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Gatts posted:

What if it is you who are the one that sucks. Hm? *raises eyebrow*

maybe; let me reminisce to you about other things I have said or done, that were much cooler, in the past

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Maybe Lana made you suck on purpose so actually you are really cool and good.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

I like how the machines shutting down the old version of The Matrix because it wasn't profitable enough is exactly what happened at the end of the game!

They even mention that they purged all the rogue programs, who were the independent faction in the game led by the Merovingian, but now seem reduced to a few stragglers.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm putting this movie on about the same level as the new Pee Wee movie, or Bill & Ted or whatever. Just a good movie that pushes all the nostalgia buttons and is totally adequate, you smile and nod and enjoy it then you forget about it.

I don't get how some people can hate or poo poo on these movies. They're inoffensive, they don't hurt anybody by existing. I can't imagine living that cynically, must be miserable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Necrothatcher posted:

Were you looking at your phone a lot during the movie? It's basically the important point of the plot that Neo and Trinity are plugged in in a unique place.

I watched it on my phone.

If I’m wrong whatever but the unique place I thought was not in the matrix but in the real world machine place. They couldn’t find their bodies. And it took so long and so many resources to get neo they couldn’t do it again. Them being in a secret matrix doesn’t really make much sense.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Saw it as second time and it does make more sense when you can anticipate what’s happening. I know Neo is old and doesn’t want to fight, but I love good fighting in films. I am owning and being unashamed of my simplicity.

6.5/10

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

The Dave posted:

Maybe Lana made you suck on purpose so actually you are really cool and good.

i should hope so it would stink to be this lame without an about face to cool and good

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

SimonChris posted:

I like how the machines shutting down the old version of The Matrix because it wasn't profitable enough is exactly what happened at the end of the game!

They even mention that they purged all the rogue programs, who were the independent faction in the game led by the Merovingian, but now seem reduced to a few stragglers.

Is this the first time expanded universe stuff for a movie actually gets to keep being canon after a sequel?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Wasn’t Morpheus an anti machine radical in Matrix Online? That wouldn’t really jive with Io - the bastion of human-synthient cooperation - lionizing him.

Also is this the first time “sythient” has been used for AI? i like it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think Half Life used it for the biomechanical things you shoot

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

lunar detritus posted:

Is this the first time expanded universe stuff for a movie actually gets to keep being canon after a sequel?

New Star Wars pulled a lot of EU garbage into the movies, but I wouldn't say it was to their benefit

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Somehow, Smith returned

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

King Vidiot posted:

I'm putting this movie on about the same level as the new Pee Wee movie, or Bill & Ted or whatever. Just a good movie that pushes all the nostalgia buttons and is totally adequate, you smile and nod and enjoy it then you forget about it.
Yeah the one thing my good friend said, after saying he very much enjoyed the movie, was that it will be immediately forgotten, unlike the original trilogy. It's basically another Indian Jones: Crystal Skull.

Boxman posted:

Wasn’t Morpheus an anti machine radical in Matrix Online?
I do not believe this was the case. He was the leader of the human faction but I don't think any faction leaders wanted to put down the other two factions, rather they all just wanted to bring up their own factions. I usually see radicals as working towards their goals to the detriment of others.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 26, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are explicitly and absolutely other people in the Matrix. The Analyist mentions it and we also see examples. Even if you discount Bugs The woman who wakes up only to find her partner turning into a swarm and jumping out a window is pretty strongly implied to be an actual human.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

DaveKap posted:

I do not believe this was the case. He was the leader of the human faction but I don't think any faction leaders wanted to put down the other two factions, rather they all just wanted to bring up their own factions. I usually see radicals as working towards their goals to the detriment of others.

Found what I was thinking of, from the matrix wiki:

quote:

Morpheus stepped up his quest to convince the Machines to return Neo's body. By planting specially coded bombs near places where redpill players were likely to gather (usually hardlines, but later on or near monuments), the bombs would detonate and, while they did no physical damage to the Matrix, spread a virus to any redpills caught in the blast. This virus was designed to reveal the underlying code, showing the bluepills the true nature of the Matrix, causing them to reject it as real, and possibly crashing the system.

In this chaos is when the man made of computer bugs killed him.

There are a billion ways this could be reconned with what we heard of him in the movie, of course (imagine, a city having a statue of a guy who did bad poo poo in addition to good poo poo! Unthinkable!), but I'd love to see the movies deal explicitly with turning the beloved character into a terrorist.

Or they could just ignore Matrix Online since there's probably effectively no cultural memory of it. Game's dead, no reason to keep up the fiction of canon if it isn't helpful to make money.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 26, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

lunar detritus posted:

Kano from Mortal Kombat was retconned to be Australian after Trevor Goddard portrayed him in the 1995 movie, among other details. The MK franchise in general has folded a lot of parallel media/fan theories into its official canon over the years.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Neo and Trinity are in special pods that are close to each other because the Analyst discovered 1.) keeping them close together increased their energy output and 2.) by torturing them both by making them unhappy on purpose they output even more energy. They are absolutely in the same matrix as the rest of society, though.

I can't remember what happens to Smith. Neo punches him through a wall and then we never see him again I think?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I can't remember what happens to Smith. Neo punches him through a wall and then we never see him again I think?
I don't think there's ever a real explanation as to what happens to Smith. The whole idea of how programs-as-people works is incredibly vague throughout the entirety of the canon, really. I don't mean it can't be explained, I just mean that the materials don't bother with most of it. Your internet toaster gets a body in the Matrix, deal with it.

Edit: Oh whoops, I thought you meant in Revolutions. Yeah he just walks away.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 26, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nuts and Gum posted:

Smith waking up brings him back to his agent self. He possesses a barista at the coffee shop and saves Neo/Trin at the end, shooting the analyst. He then just jumps away, leaving the barista confused

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

Neo and Trinity are in special pods that are close to each other because the Analyst discovered 1.) keeping them close together increased their energy output and 2.) by torturing them both by making them unhappy on purpose they output even more energy. They are absolutely in the same matrix as the rest of society, though.

In the sequel we’re going to find out Neo and Trinity output the same amount of energy even when they’re laughing hysterically like Monsters Inc.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I was a little let down that they set up the little metal balls that let programs enter the real world, and then didn't do the predictable and have Smith go into the real world as a Little Ball Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

King Vidiot posted:

I was a little let down that they set up the little metal balls that let programs enter the real world, and then didn't do the predictable and have Smith go into the real world as a Little Ball Man.

Smith's balls are too big for that.