Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cshell
Nov 20, 2021

Pyrus Malus posted:

Nocturne actually fell on a very short list of games I really loved but would never recommend to anybody, I'm glad I can tell people to play SMT5 without strings attached.

Felt the exact same way, I love the series but outside of Devil Survivor I really couldn't recommend anyone play it themselves until now. Finally a mainline I can shove in people's faces (I actually have gotten enough people to try this game that I think Atlus should mail me one of those Nahobino plushies they keep showing off on their twitter account :colbert:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Find friends who aren't as weak

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm certain they'll start selling them on their shop once they get done avoiding selling SMT merch.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Pyrus Malus posted:

I just discovered this series a few months ago and went straight from Nocturne (got the TDE) into SMT5

The onboarding process is a lot more of A Thing in 5, like for example lots of the lower level demons have single target buffs and debuffs to kinda present the idea of like "hey these are spells that exist" before coming in with the party-wide stuff around level 40 or so. I don't think Nocturne had single target buffs or debuffs at all, it was just all out from the beginning and I remember it being jarring suddenly seeing all these spells with crazy names like rakukaja being thrown around with no idea what they do.

I've kept myself blind to critical review because I'm still playing the game but I can see the movement in 5 being a divisive thing. I keep telling myself it could've been actively bad instead of what we got, which is just kind of a milquetoast basic running and jumping thing that is completely fine and inoffensive. The real magic is they managed to make a sequel to a known, perhaps even a legendary 'hard game' without babifying it and this is something a lot of AAA devs probably couldn't do these days. Nocturne actually fell on a very short list of games I really loved but would never recommend to anybody, I'm glad I can tell people to play SMT5 without strings attached.

I just got to the fourth area so I'm not done yet but this area seems realer than the last few

I'm really curious about how you feel about the writing and theme differences as well, or if you feel like the change to an open world at the sacrifice of more locations/dungeons was worth it.
My own feeling is that they should have kept the old style world map, but let the running/jumping/environments be a feature of the dungeons or locations within said map, etc.
Oddly enough I'm going back to playing Nocturne (PS2 Chronicles edition) after a really long time because of a desire to compare these two games, so we're having a reverse process of sorts.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pyrus Malus posted:

I just discovered this series a few months ago and went straight from Nocturne (got the TDE) into SMT5

The onboarding process is a lot more of A Thing in 5, like for example lots of the lower level demons have single target buffs and debuffs to kinda present the idea of like "hey these are spells that exist" before coming in with the party-wide stuff around level 40 or so. I don't think Nocturne had single target buffs or debuffs at all, it was just all out from the beginning and I remember it being jarring suddenly seeing all these spells with crazy names like rakukaja being thrown around with no idea what they do.

I've kept myself blind to critical review because I'm still playing the game but I can see the movement in 5 being a divisive thing. I keep telling myself it could've been actively bad instead of what we got, which is just kind of a milquetoast basic running and jumping thing that is completely fine and inoffensive. The real magic is they managed to make a sequel to a known, perhaps even a legendary 'hard game' without babifying it and this is something a lot of AAA devs probably couldn't do these days. Nocturne actually fell on a very short list of games I really loved but would never recommend to anybody, I'm glad I can tell people to play SMT5 without strings attached.

I just got to the fourth area so I'm not done yet but this area seems realer than the last few

If you ever play another Megaten game, just know SMT5 was the first post-Nocturne title to make buffs or debuffs single target. IV, IVA, Strange Journey, they all just have Rakukaja and etc..

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is this the first game where scanning an enemy showed you their movelist? It seems almost generous to give you that much tactical information, but it's also incredibly intimidating to see all the ways you're going to be killed. Or that a boss has Mediarahan.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That's been a thing basically forever. It is the first time you get something other than a wall of question marks for bosses and sidequest fights and the like though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I do think it's kind of annoying that even when the enemies in sidequests/abscesses are the same demons you've already encountered they will show up as all ???

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
SMT5 is really picking up after defeating the Demon King.

I just spent half an hour running around Area 4 and have not seen any loving save points besides the first one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

SMT5 is really picking up after defeating the Demon King.

I just spent half an hour running around Area 4 and have not seen any loving save points besides the first one.

They're there they're just very hard to see off the background. There's one near all the faction areas

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

its also relatively wide open so you don't just get funneled into them like in previous acts

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Halfway into my 30 minute job I started thinking "oh, people were right, it is really hard to see the save points on this one. But all I need to do is spot a text box in the minimap and that'll mean it's close by!" and still no luck. Got a couple of the good glory apples tho, lol.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
Is there a good place to grind on the fourth map? I'm running into mid-60s demons while I'm still at 55. Or am I just heading the wrong direction and should try going somewhere else first?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the enemies start in the low 50s so I'd just go a different direction. No need to grind though, just slowly work your way through sidequests and abcesses as usual

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

cheetah7071 posted:

the enemies start in the low 50s so I'd just go a different direction. No need to grind though, just slowly work your way through sidequests and abcesses as usual

That's how I've been playing so far but was making sure I was doing things right for the new map.

Ran into an abscess that spit out lvl 72 demons that oneshot me so I guess that's my sign to turn around.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I got SMTV for Christmas, should I worry about the ending I am going to get yet? When I played SMTIV I got the “Lawful” ending or whatever but the guides I read said I should’ve gone neutral first and done the others on subsequent playthroughs and that made me annoyed. So I want to make sure I get the recommended first ending or whatever.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Don't worry too much about it. Do what feels right in your heart, attack and dethrone god, etc

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I got SMTV for Christmas, should I worry about the ending I am going to get yet? When I played SMTIV I got the “Lawful” ending or whatever but the guides I read said I should’ve gone neutral first and done the others on subsequent playthroughs and that made me annoyed. So I want to make sure I get the recommended first ending or whatever.

Stop following guides and start following your heart

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Just play the loving game.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time
Yeah make your own choices and let the game judge you. Save the guides for when you're replaying it specifically to see the other endings

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Stop following guides and start following your heart

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man area 4 has some tough fights. I’m eating it on all the miniboss ones, is there an order I should be sticking to

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Toad King posted:

That's how I've been playing so far but was making sure I was doing things right for the new map.

Ran into an abscess that spit out lvl 72 demons that oneshot me so I guess that's my sign to turn around.
If you're talking about the one that's kinda south of where you start out, at the end of a bridge, that was one of the last couple I cleared. Pretty much whenever you look around and see that there are random spaws of Orochis (the big green hydra-lookin' guys) it's going to be on the higher end for the area, as opposed to like the loup garou guys, who are low level for the area.

And for whatever it's worth, instead of grinding you can usually go back to older areas and hit spawn points for the mitamas that drop gospels. I don't remember all of them, but there's one on a rooftop in the third area, pretty much due north Akihabara Electric Town, and there's one near the first save point in the second area (forget the name of the save point)--the save point is on a hill, you go down it, cross the bridge, and then due north of there (on the other side of a building you can't enter) is a bombed-out shell of a building you can go up, and one of 'em spawns in it.

I ended up saving gospels until I hit a wall facing (optional boss in 4th area) Shiva (and a couple words to make the spoiler bigger) and by that time I had almost enough to hit level 99.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

honestly it's more fun to start out and let the game judge your heart as it is, and the way to get to some of the endings is really just completing all the sidequests possible anyway

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://youtu.be/F7rHKfDHUmA

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SubG posted:

If you're talking about the one that's kinda south of where you start out, at the end of a bridge, that was one of the last couple I cleared. Pretty much whenever you look around and see that there are random spaws of Orochis (the big green hydra-lookin' guys) it's going to be on the higher end for the area, as opposed to like the loup garou guys, who are low level for the area.

That was the first Abcess I took out, getting there took one death and a ton of healing forcing my way between the spawns, but once you get there, If you've got a demon with PhysBlock it literally can't do anything. It took me forever to kill it

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Just play the loving game.

SMTIV had endgame story and bosses that you could only see/fight during the Neutral path and I was really put off by missing out on that due to my ignorance, you can understand why I would want to make sure that wasn’t the case here.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

SMTIV had endgame story and bosses that you could only see/fight during the Neutral path and I was really put off by missing out on that due to my ignorance, you can understand why I would want to make sure that wasn’t the case here.

If you really want to know, (game mechanics spoiler only)you can save before the ending choice (right before the end of the game) and easily choose any ending and see the story, bosses etc associated with it. In other words like everyone else is saying don't worry about it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Getting a particular alignment ending is easy in SMTV. The only downside to your choices pointing a particular way is that your post-alignment quests might cost a lot of macca to start if they are counter to your path, but there are only so many of those anyway.

Now getting the "True" version of the Neutral ending requires a bit more legwork, where you have to complete a certain number of sidequests (including not killing Khonsu after a battle in one which...why would you) and beating the game's superboss BEFORE a certain obvious plot point. However all of this is just gameplay and has nothing to do with having a particular alignment.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
I'm in what looks to be the final area (demon king's castle), how much longer do I have?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

I'm in what looks to be the final area (demon king's castle), how much longer do I have?

About a third.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Hmm yes but have you considered just playing the game?

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Kild posted:

About a third.

lmao. word, thanks

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
In SMT5, once I have 6 demons is there any way to store them somewhere so I can get more or do I have to fuse them?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

In SMT5, once I have 6 demons is there any way to store them somewhere so I can get more or do I have to fuse them?

You get miracles that increase your stock

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

register them to the Demonic Compendium, then you can resummon them at a very fair price if you want them later.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Nate RFB posted:

The only downside to your choices pointing a particular way is that your post-alignment quests might cost a lot of macca to start if they are counter to your path, but there are only so many of those anyway.

To be clear:

Law/Chaos get you an additional unique demon. You can pay a ton of money to get the quest even if your ending choice and previous choices didn't match.

Law/Chaos also gets you a miracle. These miracles are based entirely on your ending choice matching your previous choices and are missable on a given run. The Chaos one is really good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The point of no return with these choices is apparently about an hour from the end, too.

They made it really fair after the bullshit that was in 4.

e: gotta say, getting my levels up to snuff in the 4th Da'at while all the prayers i need are active is pretty loving nifty.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 27, 2021

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I purposefully left out all the stuff about the law/chaos specific demons and miracles so this guy wouldn't stress out about them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

MorningMoon posted:

The point of no return with these choices is apparently about an hour from the end, too.

They made it really fair after the bullshit that was in 4.

e: gotta say, getting my levels up to snuff in the 4th Da'at while all the prayers i need are active is pretty loving nifty.

That’s good. If I like the game I’ll probably play through multiple times so getting the different bonuses will be ok. Is there a neutral path?