Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Elendil004 posted:

Has Mays made a statement or is he shutting up?

AFAIK he hasn’t said anything. One of the MAs (dubiously) claimed Mays “confessed” when he was arrested and from what they’ve released of the interrogation with the ATF mays was either silent or saying “no” the entire time.

There’s some other stuff last week in that the witness who claims he saw Mays go where the fire started has changed his story several times and been known to have had a grudge with Mays too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
It's reported the accussed said "gently caress the Navy" therefore

What a shitshow. This loving institution

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Navy wants a scapegoat so bad. I feel sorry for the kid.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

We finally loving made it home.

It's been a long 208 days.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Welcome home. Hope you get some time off for the holidays.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Elviscat posted:

I can't imagine. No amount of bad steak and lobster can make up for that trip.

Welcome home!

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Welcome home.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Elviscat posted:

Congrats! Hope you get a lot of time off after that

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Congrats! Hope you get a lot of time off after that

Great work crew, lets enjoy a 72 hour stand down then get back. Daywork hours are 0730 to 1600 and in-port duty sections will be beefed up and on 1 and 4's so you can run extra drills after dinner. Bravo Zulu.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

He’s respond but he’s on watch.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

He’s respond but he’s on watch.

Why should that stop him?

Also:

Fred Dawes posted:

:nms:~Merry Christmas from USS First Ship~:nms:
:nms::nms:

lol shipmate, is that TER? Tell me that's not TER. (corner layout/deck drain location look similar)

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 26, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Merry Christmas from the inside of the ER LET.

New Captain's an rear end in a top hat but at least he got us a full stand down.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Why should that stop him?

His phone is disassembled, duh.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

His phone is disassembled, duh.

The CIA has a pretty strict no camera policy. Most phones won’t qualify to be in the zone.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

We're still at pier D, man I am not looking forward to moving to the CIA with 2 carriers, can't wait for my daily 3 mile 90 minute commute each day :barf:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I hope they pay you comrats. It's a nice pay bump when they do that at shipyard.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elviscat posted:

We're still at pier D, man I am not looking forward to moving to the CIA with 2 carriers, can't wait for my daily 3 mile 90 minute commute each day :barf:

It’s not that bad right now. My commute from southworth is 25 minutes at 730 and 35 minutes at 1600.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Elviscat posted:

I used to sleep on the boat during drydock so I'd have time to work out and actually read / sleep / whatever.

I was E-Div though so we were just absolutely hosed every single day all day for the entire refit period thoug.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Grip it and rip it posted:

I used to sleep on the boat during drydock so I'd have time to work out and actually read / sleep / whatever.

I was E-Div though so we were just absolutely hosed every single day all day for the entire refit period thoug.

Are carriers livable in drydock or did you just hide in some paint locker?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

piL posted:

With no air wing there’s a ton of place to hide for nap…

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

piL posted:

Ohio class submarine

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Ohio class submarine

Huh, I'd expect that to be even less livable in dry dock and harder to hide in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

piL posted:

There’s a berthing barge right by whatever Ohio is in the dry dock.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

piL posted:

When I say sleep I mean during my own time. I sure as poo poo wasn't sleeping during any kind of "working hours" or anything like that - generally our division was on 3 section watch to approve and hang tags for all the work the shipyard was doing. gently caress drydock that place sucks

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

When I say sleep I mean during my own time. I sure as poo poo wasn't sleeping during any kind of "working hours" or anything like that - generally our division was on 3 section watch to approve and hang tags for all the work the shipyard was doing. gently caress drydock that place sucks

I've avoided shipyard for 12 straight years, minus 17 days in Portsmouth Naval at the very end of my first sea tour, I selected the 22 as my first choice because she was a deployer for a reason.

Deploying sucks, but there's a certain letting go that happens, you have to be there, someone needs to stand that watch, and that's just not something I feel at 2000 when I've barely started testing because the EDO doesn't want to brief the Captain, or shipyard decided they want to commerce work after 6 months of putting it off and it's vital that tags get hung NOW

I'm living that 7 section EDPO life now, but I'll never forget being stuck on the boat until 2000 every day while also standing 3 section duty. That poo poo is inhumane.

I've got 4 months until I get my DD214, so I'm trying not to stress it too bad.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Oh yeah, wasn't saying you were, just my experiences with dry dock are fumes that can't be good for you and unceasing metalwork and firehazard.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s really baffling that the Navy doesn’t use shipyard time to let everyone get some rest and go off and do training. There isn’t actually that much work to do but they just keep everyone there so stuff just got made up like redo-ing preservation or we would do extra endless cleaning stations.

It was way more soul destroying knowing that your entire job was to do fake manual labor because everyone in the chain of command is too cowardly to just tell the person above them there wasn’t actually anything for us to do. Seriously, I had no idea my brain was capable of being that depressed during that time of my life. Just like the vast majority of my waking hours were consumed by utterly meaningless work with no end in sight.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 27, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s really baffling that the Navy doesn’t use shipyard time to let everyone get some rest and go off and do training. There isn’t actually that much work to do but they just keep everyone there so stuff just got made up like redo-ing preservation or we would do extra endless cleaning stations.

It was way more soul destroying knowing that your entire job was to do fake manual labor because everyone in the chain of command is too cowardly to just tell the person above them there wasn’t actually anything for us to do. Seriously, I had no idea my brain was capable of being that depressed during that time of my life. Just like the vast majority of my waking hours were consumed by utterly meaningless work with no end in sight.

It's because none of the chiefs or senior officers want to go home to their miserable lives.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's because none of the chiefs or senior officers want to go home to their miserable lives.

Hey to be fair our CO liked his home life a lot. He generally showed up around 9 and knocked off around 3.

E: thank gently caress nv he didn’t make admiral

gently caress you Michael Johnson goddamn turd

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Hey to be fair our CO liked his home life a lot. He generally showed up around 9 and knocked off around 3.

E: thank gently caress nv he didn’t make admiral

gently caress you Michael Johnson goddamn turd

:lol: if you think he was going home.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well he was going to someone’s home…

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

There’s a berthing barge right by whatever Ohio is in the dry dock.

Berthing barges: What if we made A School, but worse, and with shittier food and bay berthings.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Being civilian side and seeing the sub shopyard life I feel so bad. Three section, and even working 12s I was still leaving before ship’s force and I was getting paid a hell of a lot more money for it.

lol if you’re still in

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don’t think he had the ability. He has the personality of a crumbling wet cardboard box. Just a limp dick of a human being but we still got hosed somehow anyway.

The ships (married with kids) bosun on the other hand I saw him out a couple times with young women that were definitely not his wife.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah my LCPO who's wife cheated on him w/ his best friend was certifiable and naturally was gunning for a senior chief star by announcing that E div was ready to support whatever operations seaman schmuckatelly was too valuable for.

Shits making my blood pressure rise again

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

holy poo poo what rate are you

I have never done as much work in my life as during shipyard periods and all of it was work that had to happen to get the boat back to sea

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Cerekk posted:

I have never done as much work in my life as during shipyard periods and all of it was work that had to happen to get the boat back to sea

No rate. We were waiting on all sort of stuff that was either engineering or mostly entirely dependent on contractors. So they just had us redo preservation over and over.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cerekk posted:

It's a real all or nothing in the yards. I was always in Ops, so we had literally nothing to do. Our equipment was either just mothballed or worked on by contractors, which means we had nothing to work on ourselves and we couldn't even do any perfunctory training.

Just sit in CIC/CDC bullshitting all day because it would be bad for morale if the engineers saw us slack off and/or leave.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
When I got to my boat it was pier side at mare island naval shipyard after replacing the reactor. 2 more times we were in shipyard in hawaii for I don't remember. I ended my just over 3 years on the boat while it was yet again in the shipyard this time for work to fit the DDS to it.

Every time in the yards for me it was whatever PMS could actually be done, cleaning, training, going to the sims for training. Many hours of doing absolutely nothing tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Actually, the first time I was in the yards I was in air department and it was goddamn miserable 18 hour days 7 days a week. I had actually successfully blocked out that portion of my memory until just now.

gently caress the Navy.