Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Welp here in snow land it's 50 and raining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

jesus it's only 70 here in SC

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. It's not liquid backpressure literally bursting the pipe, it's the pressure of the water on the faucet side trapping freezing water in the center of the ice plug. Water doesn't freeze uniformly. It's going to freeze on the outer surface of the pipe first, just like it freezes on the outer edges of ice cubes in an ice cube tray. You can even get spikes in ice cube trays from the ice pushing water through the unfrozen portion of the surface.

I've literally had to thaw sections of frozen pipe several feet long with no visible expansion or damage because the frozen plug is moving "up" the pipe toward the open faucet. Meanwhile, with a closed faucet your pipe will probably burst before the plug even freezes all the way through.

professional pipe person chiming in. You are correct that ice will expand along easier paths or resistance to an extent, so a long straight length can freeze without bursting. however the pressure drop from a dribbling faucet would only slightly effect that, and the main benefit of the open faucet isn’t “moving water” but bringing warm underground water past the cold spot to meditate its temperature.

basically like a pc water cooler in reverse, absorbing the cold temp and dumping it down the drain. (yes i know it’s actually giving heat, not taking cold)

There are two contributing factors to burst pipes. One is elbow turns where it freezes on both side of the turn and then expands into the elbow fitting which blows it off.

Second, the actual pressure of the ice based on how cold it gets and for long it stays at that cold temperature. plenty of times a pipe will fully freeze through to where you lose all water at the tap, but the psi pressure at the freeze is still low enough to be contained by the pipe wall.

If you thaw that section out soon enough you are fine with no damage. however even if there is a straight path for the ice to travel, if that plug stays cold enough for long enough it will expand outwards and you will get inline pipe fractures.

source: grew up with a plumber father, and now spend every winter dealing with frozen fire protection systems that people don’t know how to maintain.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's crazy that people climb those things with ice axes

Not for much longer

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Happy Christmas from the land that is retaining all the cold. Currently -27C

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

SpaceCadetBob posted:

professional pipe person chiming in. You are correct that ice will expand along easier paths or resistance to an extent, so a long straight length can freeze without bursting. however the pressure drop from a dribbling faucet would only slightly effect that, and the main benefit of the open faucet isn’t “moving water” but bringing warm underground water past the cold spot to meditate its temperature.

basically like a pc water cooler in reverse, absorbing the cold temp and dumping it down the drain. (yes i know it’s actually giving heat, not taking cold)

There are two contributing factors to burst pipes. One is elbow turns where it freezes on both side of the turn and then expands into the elbow fitting which blows it off.

Second, the actual pressure of the ice based on how cold it gets and for long it stays at that cold temperature. plenty of times a pipe will fully freeze through to where you lose all water at the tap, but the psi pressure at the freeze is still low enough to be contained by the pipe wall.

If you thaw that section out soon enough you are fine with no damage. however even if there is a straight path for the ice to travel, if that plug stays cold enough for long enough it will expand outwards and you will get inline pipe fractures.

source: grew up with a plumber father, and now spend every winter dealing with frozen fire protection systems that people don’t know how to maintain.

Thank you for your service :patriot:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not for much longer

Oh there will still be seasonal ice. For instance the cold snap about to bust up some Seattle infrastructure. Very excited about that. Hope my pipes don't burst

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

brisk and sunny chicago christmas as usual,

happy hoolidays yall

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

a nice high of 80 for Christmas in Austin
is this what the Australians experience?

lol yep it’s 79 in Perth

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wolfs posted:

lol yep it’s 79 in Perth

it rules, i'm gonna jog today in pflugerville and get a tan

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

wolfs posted:

lol yep it’s 79 in Perth

lol it read 81 where I am. the unseasonably warm air reminded me to buy some sleeping bags and propane for the inevitable power grid failure that’s coming in a month or two

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
We had 100 where I am in Aus for Christmas, but that's normal.

80 where you're meant to get snow is ffuuuccckkeeddd

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

wolfs posted:

lol yep it’s 79 in Perth

that 79f in Perth Australia was night time temperature
it's 90f at 9am currently and will reach a high of 109f today

Sydney's at 77f today though which is a bit cooler than it should be

Helith has issued a correction as of 01:45 on Dec 26, 2021

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Meanwhile...

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Also we're having holy gently caress its cold even for the prairies weather.

Gonna be just normal cold for the next 3 days or so and I'm gonna take advantage, then it's hunker down for a week or 3 because it's cold enough to kill you quick if stuff goes wrong weather.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's super weird to see such disparity on the plains north to south. usually I'll get a cold blast that hits minnesota a couple days later, but the plains seem split in half around kansas

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Had a White Christmas. It was beautiful up until the moment I had to shovel the driveway. :unsmith:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

EvilJoven posted:

Also we're having holy gently caress its cold even for the prairies weather.

Gonna be just normal cold for the next 3 days or so and I'm gonna take advantage, then it's hunker down for a week or 3 because it's cold enough to kill you quick if stuff goes wrong weather.

The holy gently caress cold isn’t supposed to be until like…late January. this is bullshit

AOCIA
Nov 29, 2021

by sebmojo
Enjoying a nice breeze through the screen door...in December....in Michigan.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It sucks I was over winter on the 21st

Which is the first day of winter

Lol lmao

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Wore an Easter dress for Christmas in Chicago, totally normal poo poo.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

AOCIA posted:

Enjoying a nice breeze through the screen door...in December....in Michigan.
Had all the windows open because it was getting too hot inside with some family over. In Ohio.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Tips for enjoying an Aussie style Christmas
Go to the beach or for a swim somewhere
Drink white wine in the sun
Have a barbecue
Eat prawns and seafood
Eat antipasto/ mezze
Eat pavlova
Enjoy!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It was 70 here today

Still is after 10pm lol

There it is again

That funny feeling

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It was 70 here today

Still is after 10pm lol

There it is again

That funny feeling

I like it being 35f above average temps actually. Went outside hiking today in shorts and a t shirt

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If this weather pattern holds up I gotta move east. gently caress -25c for weeks on end. Global warming is gonna kill us all and yet I'm still loving freezing.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

EvilJoven posted:

If this weather pattern holds up I gotta move east. gently caress -25c for weeks on end. Global warming is gonna kill us all and yet I'm still loving freezing.

You sure you want them hurricanes and tornados, pal?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
In the end Sam McGee was pretty stoked to be in that furnace and I think I'd rather die in a great lakes wet bulb event than spend the rest of my life being under extreme cold warnings half the year.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Someone didn't finish "Nature Abhors a Dome".

Yes, it is 80 degrees on Christmas, and yet I bought a kerosene heater in the fall expecting to need it when our infrastructure collapses during our annual record breaking cold snap.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

EvilJoven posted:

In the end Sam McGee was pretty stoked to be in that furnace and I think I'd rather die in a great lakes wet bulb event than spend the rest of my life being under extreme cold warnings half the year.

I've always heard that hypothermia is a relatively pleasant way to die while I can't imagine that being unable to sweat is a lot of fun.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hurr durr I hate the cold anyway- some country tuff lackwit in the south who whines when it drops below 60 f

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You sure you want them hurricanes and tornados, pal?

a hurricane here a there aint so bad vs unbearable temp swings constantly. can mitigate with elevation at least.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

realtalk the nuclear option for saving your pipes is turning the water off at the meter the day before, draining the system and leaving all the faucets open for the duration. Much better to be inconvenienced for a day or two than have a break that you will not be able to get anyone to fix for weeks.

If you've got heat pump heat yeah it's not gonna do poo poo and the backup resistance coils won't do much in a central system because their output will be spread throughout the house. Pick one room, one without external walls if possible, and make your stand there. Shut the central HVAC off entirely and pin your hopes on a single space heater. Hang blankets over the windows and walls, move all your rugs into that room to insulate the floor, cram towels in the door gaps, open the door to that room as little as possible.

I’ve always heard you should plug all air returns / vents except for the room you plan to stay in, then run your system. that way your backup heat is limited to a single room & you have a chance to stay warm.

but I’ve lucked out and never needed to do this so idk :shrug:

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Helith posted:

Tips for enjoying an Aussie style Christmas
Go to the beach or for a swim somewhere
Drink white wine in the sun
Have a barbecue
Eat prawns and seafood
Eat antipasto/ mezze
Eat pavlova
Enjoy!

you just reminded me I randomly went to a film screening of Australian short films and there was an Australian guy catering it and I had pavlova for the first time, with some kind of lemon jelly … I need more of that in my life, a few mouthfuls at a time.

i need nothing else from your cursed dropbear continent tho

e: it was a place called Two Hands. apparently it’s a chain between NYC and Austin? how weird

https://www.twohandsnyc.com/austin-menus/

wolfs has issued a correction as of 16:27 on Dec 26, 2021

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
It's the day after Christmas, I took a walk and now I have a mosquito bite. I live in KS lol

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I've had my AC on all day lol
I guess the 3.5ish white christmases I got in Atlanta will be the last ones.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Crunchy Black posted:

I've had my AC on all day lol
I guess the 3.5ish white christmases I got in Atlanta will be the last ones.

Ac lol its going a little different in the PNW. Sloppy polar vortex

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Its cool. apparently our roads are gonna get plowed even slower than normal.... because the drivers have COVID.

lmao

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
The high was 27F today, it's currently 16 and dropping.

I called out from work to play in the snow with my dog. He's a old man and this might be the last chance he gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Dog Case posted:

The high was 27F today, it's currently 16 and dropping.

I called out from work to play in the snow with my dog. He's a old man and this might be the last chance he gets.

:3:

My dog had zoomies in the snow drifts today and loved it.

The hummingbirds kept visiting the frozen feeder, so I kept emptying it and refilling it with hot sugar water. A few visited in between freezes, so I guess I did my good deed for the day?