Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My mother told me about how she's been using the same two kf94s that I gave her to try for months and months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
seeking: counterfeit cdc card dealer with local market cards

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

The measured case rate in my NYC neighborhood was 3% as measured the week ending Dec 18. Assume the actual case rate was very roughly ~5%, accounting for people who couldn't/wouldn't get tested + asymptomatic cases. It being the week leading into the Christmas holiday assume relatively few people changed their behavior to avoid infection, so a 2-ish doubling time is likely still about right. It's 1 week later, so roughly 3 additional doubling times since then.

All together this implies roughly ~40% of my neighborhood is currently infected, aware of it or not. In 2-3 more days presumably the large majority will be infected, though have to think at that level the virus will have burned through the easy targets and will take longer to get at people taking precautions. Over the next 2-ish weeks these infected people will start testing positive and make it clear that yes in fact basically everyone's infected.

All this seems correct to me and in line with what we know about the Omicron variant, but it also seems too outlandish to believe. Is all this sound, or am I missing something?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
lets go jack box

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HiroProtagonist posted:

lets go jack box

wearing found masks

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Nocturtle posted:

The measured case rate in my NYC neighborhood was 3% as measured the week ending Dec 18. Assume the actual case rate was very roughly ~5%, accounting for people who couldn't/wouldn't get tested + asymptomatic cases. It being the week leading into the Christmas holiday assume relatively few people changed their behavior to avoid infection, so a 2-ish doubling time is likely still about right. It's 1 week later, so roughly 3 additional doubling times since then.

All together this implies roughly ~40% of my neighborhood is currently infected, aware of it or not. In 2-3 more days presumably the large majority will be infected, though have to think at that level the virus will have burned through the easy targets and will take longer to get at people taking precautions. Over the next 2-ish weeks these infected people will start testing positive and make it clear that yes in fact basically everyone's infected.

All this seems correct to me and in line with what we know about the Omicron variant, but it also seems too outlandish to believe. Is all this sound, or am I missing something?

sounds mildly possible

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Animal-Mother posted:

it's kind of amazing that almost everybody in the world is still on "well, it won't happen to me" mode. and that this is round two of the holidays with covid and we're repeating every single mistake, again.
Honestly it seems we’re making a lot of additional mistakes we managed to avoid last year.

McCracAttack posted:

A friend gave me this 3D printed 2020 dumpster fire ornament last year and it just keeps getting funnier and funnier.

Last year I bought a “Our 1st Global Pandemic Together” ornament as a bit of a joke. This year I bought a “Our 2nd Global Pandemic Together” ornament and it felt like a tradition.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i refuse to get covid and so I just won't get it

fuq u covid you can't pozz me
:hmmyes:

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shiroc posted:

My mother told me about how she's been using the same two kf94s that I gave her to try for months and months.

...mail her new ones

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Shiroc posted:

lol
on the upside at least she's using them

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Man, I’m both really anxious and really curious about what late January will bring. I was back in the office for a month in early November and was only sent home Monday this week when cases got bad. My coworkers are all convinced this is a temporary thing and we’ll be back in a few weeks lol. But from reading this thread I expect a few weeks from now to be an absolute bloodbath.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Helith posted:

Looks delicious and you’re good people Steve Yun

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Remember in March 2020 when Dems were mocking Trump for wanting packed churches on Easter?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Ccs posted:

Man, I’m both really anxious and really curious about what late January will bring. I was back in the office for a month in early November and was only sent home Monday this week when cases got bad. My coworkers are all convinced this is a temporary thing and we’ll be back in a few weeks lol. But from reading this thread I expect a few weeks from now to be an absolute bloodbath.

naw

absolute mildbath

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have something nice to say about the 3M Secure Click HF-802SD for once: it works better under a keffiyeh than does the 6502 that I otherwise prefer.

The ping pong paddle filters work well here, sweeping back around the sides and being somewhat flexible. Their greater surface area helps, too.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Goobish posted:

Can you just be so mad it causes a fever? Sore throat from yelling uncontrollable? Hopefully that's it.

as a person who has had some dumbass anger issues, I’ve absolutely yelled enough to give myself a sore throat.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ccs posted:

Quit my job a couple months ago in the covidmines because I knew poo poo would get bad and my money to stay home is gonna run out pretty soon. I have almost no capability of getting a job that doesn't require me to interface with way too many loving people every day. Stressed way the gently caress out.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

This is only because she is a republican. I'm sure these people were having a blast with their entire extended family with 0 masks indoors all day and grandpa always had that cough don't worry about it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I have the 6500 with the quick release lever and I can go from around my neck to on my face and pressure checked in under 5 seconds. I went to the park today and it’s fun, like army basic training all over again.

I’m thinking about trying out the Sunstrom mask that has one single strap that loops around both your neck and the head, it looks like it would be easier to don and doff very quickly, and having 2 exhale valves seems like it would be pretty comfortable. industrial supply has a box that includes the mask and a set of filters for $90 or so.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

that might be right, or not. i think you're missing the part where eventually omicron hits its internal kill limit. if you think of the population as a space and each point in that space as an individual person's probability of infection as a function of the totality of their biology and behavior, we can imagine omicron taking a leisurely stroll around the space and quickly finding the low hanging dense probabilities, but then gradually slows down as it exhausts the reservoir of open bidener superspreaders, going into the lower and lower probability max titers territory, until its forward reff reaches <1 and it gradually "burns out" mathematically.

since inferentially we don't and cannot know from the fog of war where we are on the curve, especially in light of testing capacity limits, my advice is to stop doing math, but if you for some reason feel compelled to do math, do logistic math i guess.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Platystemon posted:

I have something nice to say about the 3M Secure Click HF-802SD for once: it works better under a keffiyeh than does the 6502 that I otherwise prefer.

The ping pong paddle filters work well here, sweeping back around the sides and being somewhat flexible. Their greater surface area helps, too.

there are some hotties on that google image search

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

:rubby: slap another 400 onto NSW’s tally
a hospital in Sydney told 400 people they were negative when they were actually positive
oopsie
what’s the r0 of this thing again?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Platystemon posted:

How do you find the positive pressure checks with the 6502? I got one recently and cannot get the positive pressure check to work at all, something I find totally trivial to do with the 7502.

edit:

Zodium posted:

since inferentially we don't and cannot know from the fog of war where we are on the curve, especially in light of testing capacity limits, my advice is to stop doing math, but if you for some reason feel compelled to do math, do logistic math i guess.
Good suggestions. Just a quick back of the envelope calculation but at such high rates that doesn't really work. IMO it's fair to say that currently the case rate as a percentage of the population is at least in the low double digits, which is already a bit mind blowing to me. The advice to just assume everyone's infected is legitimately appropriate now.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 26, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/MarkMcGowanMP/status/1474961699266433024?s=20

maybe perth managed to keep it under control?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

External Organs posted:

At this point I'll be happy just to outlive the Simpsons

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Helith posted:

a hospital in Sydney told 400 people they were negative when they were actually positive
oopsie

lol jesus christ

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Helith posted:

oopsie

So that means they've infected at least several thousand by now, I take it? :thunk:

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Isn't the Perth outbreak delta from that French backpacker?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

ram dass in hell posted:

600+1400=2000, dumbass

I think you'll find that when you take into account the 600, the first 1200, and the 300 Bush gave us all back in 2001 that means each of us owes Joe Biden $100.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Taitale posted:

Isn't the Perth outbreak delta from that French backpacker?

yeah

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

center for disease continuation

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

center for disease catching

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nocturtle posted:

How do you find the positive pressure checks with the 6502? I got one recently and cannot get the positive pressure check to work at all, something I find totally trivial to do with the 7502.

Air will always leak between the the harness assembly and the the body of the respirator. This area is past the exhalation valve and isn’t designed to be airtight.

It’s fine you keep exhaling and can’t maintain pressure, so long as nothing is getting out between your face and the silicone.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

when it comes to people's safety, money wins out every time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpNUqNe0U5g

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So what would it take to actually end industrial civilization in the West? We've already proven we'll let something spread as long as it doesn't immediately seem serious. I'm thinking take the infectious of omicron and combine it with the fatality rate of MERS. Now here's the hard part. You would have to have a 3 to 4 week delay minimum between getting infected and having serious symptoms. Long enough for everyone to say it's mild while it seeds throughout the world.

Is such a thing possible? Who knows! Let's keep rolling the dice.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

center for dying coronaishly

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Ccs posted:

feels a bit like January/February 2020 when it became super obvious from this thread the huge magnitude of what was coming, then watching it actually happen

I hate making predictions but the doubling time is 2-3 days even with vaccines, how can it be anything but a bloodbath in a few weeks

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

So what would it take to actually end industrial civilization in the West? We've already proven we'll let something spread as long as it doesn't immediately seem serious. I'm thinking take the infectious of omicron and combine it with the fatality rate of MERS. Now here's the hard part. You would have to have a 3 to 4 week delay minimum between getting infected and having serious symptoms. Long enough for everyone to say it's mild while it seeds throughout the world.

Is such a thing possible? Who knows! Let's keep rolling the dice.

an omicron level contagious disease that causes blindness might be a simple reason. the west is not set up at all for accessibility

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Covid Denial Central

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

External Organs posted:

At this point I'll be happy just to outlive the Simpsons

inshallah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

feels a bit like January/February 2020 when it became super obvious from this thread the huge magnitude of what was coming, then watching it actually happen

I hate making predictions but the doubling time is 2-3 days even with vaccines, how can it be anything but a bloodbath in a few weeks

This makes me nervous, out of Ontario:

50% of current hospitalisations are fully vaccinated.

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data