Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CJ posted:

It's a gendered word but i don't think it's sexist unless you refuse to call Emet a husbando.

people dont use husbando nearly as much and the tone is often much less dismissive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

cheetah7071 posted:

in more words cause I'm not yet exhausted by explaining it in a hundred threads like endorph presumably is:

by calling a character a waifu, you are saying, her purpose in the fiction is to titillate. That is what it means to be A Waifu. Declaring completely ordinary characters waifus is thus, very bad

Naa at this point it just means character in an anime tbh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CJ posted:

it really doesnt mean that and even then why does 'character in an anime' need its own special term instead of just 'character.'

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ibblebibble posted:

Hottest take: people only dislike Stormblood because they're misogynists who cannot handle its critical mass of girlbosses (Lyse/Fordola/Yotsuyu/Yugiri/Sadu/Hien/Zenos)

Stormblood was a better expansion than Heavensward. :colbert:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

Stormblood was a better expansion than Heavensward. :colbert:

honestly, I agree with this, if you're rating it by the experience of playing it for the two years it's out. As a new player blazing through both stories back to back you're gonna like hw better, probably. But Stormblood was just so much better to actually play

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

honestly, I agree with this, if you're rating it by the experience of playing it for the two years it's out. As a new player blazing through both stories back to back you're gonna like hw better, probably. But Stormblood was just so much better to actually play
honestly even as someone who did do that i like stormblood more. the post-expansion story content in hw is worlds better than stormblood's and the finale is probably a bit better than stormblood's since stormblood's finale has a weird start-and-stop, but in terms of the 71-79 experience stormblood is way more enjoyable. you see more varied environments, the story has more of an active drive to it. like 60% of heavensward is traveling through three different snowy areas to talk to a dragon so the dragon can tell you to gently caress off.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Chillgamesh posted:

on the flip side i had the longest 3.0 endboss fight of my life today because of the stat squish, saw all kinds of moves I never knew it had in the normal difficulty

.x dungeons also feel like they take longer now too

Oh, I'm specifically only talking about level 50 and under. Above 50 the stat squish definitely becomes the major contributing factor.

Endorph posted:

nah its just real frustration with how goons call literally every female character in any japanese game a 'waifu' regardless of presentation or context. its weird, hosed up, and frustrating. i hate it. i desperately wish people would stop. its not funny and its not subversive. its just annoying at best and, yes, sexist at worst.

You're not entirely wrong on it being annoying for some of us, though attributing this as a goon behavior is definitely off. It's the entire internet and has settled in to the culture of every platform, I'm afraid, so it's sticking around.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

it really doesnt mean that and even then why does 'character in an anime' need its own special term instead of just 'character.'

hate to break this to you but the english language is far from concise and doesnt mind redundancy.

sometimes things are just a dumb meme.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Lord_Magmar posted:

Erenville is 100% husbando.

Aymeric will always be husbando for forever!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Endorph posted:

honestly even as someone who did do that i like stormblood more. the post-expansion story content in hw is worlds better than stormblood's and the finale is probably a bit better than stormblood's since stormblood's finale has a weird start-and-stop, but in terms of the 71-79 experience stormblood is way more enjoyable. you see more varied environments, the story has more of an active drive to it. like 60% of heavensward is traveling through three different snowy areas to talk to a dragon so the dragon can tell you to gently caress off.

Also people forget how much of a drag and disappointing the Ul'dah/Raubahn stuff is in 3.0.

If you're talking just the HW story vs the StB story, I can see arguments both ways. But "Expansion as a whole" goes to Stormblood, hands down. There's a reason that a ton of the systems/content from Stormblood is still in the game and majority of the non-story content from Heavensward isn't. Stormblood is basically the backbone for a lot of the modern content.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

That wall of your personal problem is grating to scroll past btw

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Next time y'all have meltdowns can you at least not completely gently caress the mobile experience. If I'm gonna scroll for 10 minutes at least write me an essay.

Also Fordola is cool.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Endorph posted:

Because languages evolve naturally and aren't completely logical or efficient.

Anyway i prefer people being attracted to good characters rather than ones which are there purely as fanservice. FF14 is pretty good about that. The only one i can think of who isn't is G'raha, who basically because a self parody in Endwalker.

Also, for HW vs SB chat, i think HW had story issues (i think it's insane that there isn't a defense of Ishgard dungeon), but it did a way better job of telling a story that people could connect with emotionally. 3.0 wasn't as character based, and had the problem of Lyse and the disjointed gaps between the two halves. The Stormblood patch story content was all great though and really redeemed it. 2.3 and 2.4 were really good too, but i think every Stormblood patch had stuff that was really engaging.

CJ fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 26, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Mordiceius posted:

Also people forget how much of a drag and disappointing the Ul'dah/Raubahn stuff is in 3.0.

warriors of darkness was a pretty big "okay, where is this going? is this just here to find a really elaborate way to put minfilia on a bus?" in the moment, without all of shadowbringers to look forward to

there were just fewer people playing HW patch-to-patch, and more people on SB1 patch-to-patch, so the same sensation of "when does this pay off?" that both patch stories had got magnified way more in the latter and stuck around as a community meme.

really it isn't until shadowbringers itself that literally everything gets tied in and back together and you got to see the picture that no, it actually has been a unified story since ARR, it just took a while to get there

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 26, 2021

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is anyone else eating constant DirectX 11 errors since 6.01? It's getting really, really bad and worrying. I've switched from fullscreen mode to borderless window, updated my drivers, turned off something occlusion, and have now uninstalled and am reinstalling the game. If this doesn't work I'm not sure what else I can do.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I’ve been getting them for years along with other less specified crash errors. Not really any fix unfortunately.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Graha was one of the big stealth disappointments of EW for sure. Way to crater a character that I would have said was one of the best going in

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Endorph posted:

What? There's 1 snow area in heavensward. 2 if you count Ishgard itself. None of the areas in hw look like each other at all. As opposed to stormblood where half the fringes looks the same as half the peaks looks the same as all of the lochs looks the same as most of the above sea-level portion of ruby sea looks the same as the corner of azim steppe where Sadu hangs out. Like the 3 zones of the road trip are coerrthas western highlands, dravanian forelands and churning mists. No part of DF is snowy and I am like, 90% sure snow isn't a weather there. I am 100% sure that it never snows in Churning Mists.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Mister Olympus posted:

warriors of darkness was a pretty big "okay, where is this going? is this just here to find a really elaborate way to put minfilia on a bus?" in the moment, without all of shadowbringers to look forward to

there were just fewer people playing HW patch-to-patch, and more people on SB1 patch-to-patch, so the same sensation of "when does this pay off?" that both patch stories had got magnified way more in the latter and stuck around as a community meme.

really it isn't until shadowbringers itself that literally everything gets tied in and back together and you got to see the picture that no, it actually has been a unified story since ARR, it just took a while to get there

The game definitely has a pattern of setting stuff up for the expansion after in the post patches. Yugiri and the Doma stuff is in 2.x, WoD is 3.4, i can't remember if there's anything Endwalker in the 4.x though.

I think it's probably around the time that they are writing the story so they can seed some stuff to set it up. I don't believe that they had it all planned out from the start though except in very very broad strokes.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

CJ posted:

The game definitely has a pattern of setting stuff up for the expansion after in the post patches. Yugiri and the Doma stuff is in 2.x, WoD is 3.4, i can't remember if there's anything Endwalker in the 4.x though.

I think it's probably around the time that they are writing the story so they can seed some stuff to set it up. I don't believe that they had it all planned out from the start though except in very very broad strokes.

I feel like the Seat of Azem reveal in 5.x is a gift that will just keep on giving in this story. I'm still finding little Easter eggs they seem to have put in the environment from the very start tracing back to that. The big thing about 4.x was probably the Light = Stasis and 'stagnant aether' plot, setting up a change in how we saw the cosmology of the setting.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

CJ posted:

Gearhead posted:

I feel like the Seat of Azem reveal in 5.x is a gift that will just keep on giving in this story. I'm still finding little Easter eggs they seem to have put in the environment from the very start tracing back to that. The big thing about 4.x was probably the Light = Stasis and 'stagnant aether' plot, setting up a change in how we saw the cosmology of the setting.

the entire Azim Steppe business about reincarnation and grandma's prophecies was super on the nose in retrospect, down to the location itself

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
In a roundabout way you could say that setting up G'raha in 4.5 sets up Crystal Tower as mandatory which sets up a character. There's also the device Nero ditches - at the end it's beeping "IT'S ALL WRONGG" in Morse code (this was most likely meant to lead into the original concept for Eureka, though - if it might line up with anything else it's by happenstance). And they clearly had more plans for Zenos.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 26, 2021

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

CJ posted:

I would narrow it down to anime character I shall simp for.

CJ posted:

Hmm. I can't think of any Endwalker foreshadowing in post-4.X patches. The whole Shadowbringers expansion is the set up for Endwalker to me.

Endwalker so far has made me cry more than all the other expansions combined.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Hogama posted:

In a roundabout way you could say that setting up G'raha in 4.5 sets up Crystal Tower as mandatory which sets up a character. There's also the device Nero ditches - at the end it's beeping "IT'S ALL WRONGG" in Morse code (this was most likely meant to lead into the original concept for Eureka, though - if it might line up with anything else it's by happenstance). And they clearly had more plans for Zenos.

Yoshida said in an interview that it was originally for Eureka but they changed it to detecting the Crystal Exarch's beacon.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

G'raha in EW is just happy he gets to be there and, honestly, so am I

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Runa posted:

G'raha in EW is just happy he gets to be there and, honestly, so am I

:hai:

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

G'raha in EW is g'reat.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

admanb posted:

G'raha in EW is g'reat.

That's reat to his friends

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

admanb posted:

G'raha in EW is g'reat.

Also he has several Exarch-y moments in the game.

G’raha is both Exarch and moe at the same time. That is, perhaps, the appeal.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

OhFunny posted:

Hmm. I can't think of any Endwalker foreshadowing in post-4.X patches. The whole Shadowbringers expansion is the set up for Endwalker to me.

not MSQ but omega is incredibly relevant

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

hopeandjoy posted:

Also he has several Exarch-y moments in the game.

G’raha is both Exarch and moe at the same time. That is, perhaps, the appeal.

I feel like he could be just slightly more Exarchy for my tastes. Not a lot, and I still enjoy the character just fine. I'm definitely glad he stuck around overall.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
WoL: Hey G'raha what's u-

G'raha: When i was a boy i dreamed of travelling the world like the adventurers of legend, to see sights unseen, to truly experience what this wonderous star has to offer. The day i saw you standing there in front of the Crystarium felt like a dream, oh how i longed to go on adventures with you, my inspiration. Promise me that you will take me with you where ever you decide to go after this is all done. I care not where i end up, as long as it is by your side. I'm just a catboy, standing in front of a girl, asking her to like him. Oh the places we will go,

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ibblebibble posted:

Hottest take: people only dislike Stormblood because they're misogynists who cannot handle its critical mass of girlbosses (Lyse/Fordola/Yotsuyu/Yugiri/Sadu/Hien/Zenos)

The lack of Omega in this post disappoints me.

Mordiceius posted:

As glad as I was that Nanamo wasn't dead, I remember being exceptionally disappointed that the Parting Glass was thrown out the window in favor of the status quo being restored.

I also remember not being particularly keen on the Warriors of Darkness being borderline gleeful psycopaths (particularly Renda-Rae, who basically has nothing to say but "Boy, I sure enjoyed almost killing Alisaie" almost every time she opens her mouth) up until the reveal.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 26, 2021

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

CJ posted:

Anyway i prefer people being attracted to good characters rather than ones which are there purely as fanservice. FF14 is pretty good about that.

I personally would prefer if we could discuss female characters without the conversation inevitably turning to why people are/aren't attracted to them, and under what conditions, and whether or not FF14 has a sufficiently high number of attractive female characters, because it is the worst conversation in the world and it dominates the rest of the goddamn Internet

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Don't most people here literally just use waif to mean "female character that I like"? Y'shtola is a waifu. Emet-Selch is a husbando.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

SirSamVimes posted:

Don't most people here literally just use waif to mean "female character that I like"? Y'shtola is a waifu. Emet-Selch is a husbando.

That's what I thought it was as well, but if it bothers people that much I'll certainly endeavor to not use it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Word’s just really weird. Why wouldn’t you just say “Yshtola is cool” instead of calling her a wife?

Like I know it’s just strange Internet pseudo irony posting where you have to turn talking about a video game character into kind of a joke but it’s still dumb.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Antivehicular posted:

I personally would prefer if we could discuss female characters without the conversation inevitably turning to why people are/aren't attracted to them, and under what conditions, and whether or not FF14 has a sufficiently high number of attractive female characters, because it is the worst conversation in the world and it dominates the rest of the goddamn Internet

I really don't see that much for this game though. The one thing i have noticed is some people seem to just imprint their own made up personality onto Y'shtola because she's a catgirl. That and people making dominatrix jokes about Yotsuyu but the game is clearly baiting that. I see a lot more husbando talk, probably because there are a lot more male characters who lean into that.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Endorph posted:

people dont use husbando nearly as much and the tone is often much less dismissive.

i can help with that (intense spoilers up through shadowbringers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9IYEgtJL6U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah. At some point waifu meant “I literally think this fictional character is my wife”, the internet at large then took to ironically using it, and now it has morphed into just “I like this character (and I may also find them to be attractive)”. I don’t know if husbando was every seriously used, I’m pretty sure it came around when people started to use waifu ironically and it stuck around afterwards.