Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
After the PS2 generation, the arcade hardware switched to being Windows-based, and crappy sales of home versions kept them from bothering to go back. Beatmania does have an official home release now, but it’s a subscription-based PC game.

Plenty of other music games get home versions though, they just aren’t the hype machine that was the Guitar Hero/Rock Band phenomenon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
And I could only imagine the nightmare of dealing with royalties for music games. DDR got around that by picking up lesser known remixes.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

galagazombie posted:

What happened to rhythm games anyhow? I’m not sad to see them go because I have the musical talent of a deaf drunkard so they’re not fun, but I had no ill will towards them. It just seems weird how we had so many DDR’s and Guitar Heroes and elite beat agents and it all just vanished in smoke. Even other genres that “went away” like Schmups still have devoted niche communities (like me) and get regular new releases. I never see any rhythm games on the eshop or similar.

They're still alive and well in arcades, but you gotta go to arcades that have them, or go to conventions that bring in arcade music game stuff

There are rhythm games on the nintendo eshop like Muse Dash and Cytus but as far as stuff that requires a dedicated controller, they're just fuckin expensive and they keep getting more and more complex so the people who are still really into them go out of their way to pay hundreds of dollars for an extremely niche setup and don't bother talking to anyone about it who isn't in their extremely niche chat group because they know that no one else cares

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 26, 2021

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

adhuin posted:

You could play all your old songs though? All DLC bought on your account should work. Main games 1-3, lego and Green day needed a small extra fee to work as DLC.
They even work on XSX and PS5.

The problem was the hundreds of songs I had from the community store that couldn't be ported over. By the end of my time with that game that's all I played.

Rock Band 4's graphics being dogshit also didn't help.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rhythm games are for spice addict guild navigators.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

limp_cheese posted:

Rock Band 4's graphics being dogshit also didn't help.

Wow I just looked that game up and it looks hideous

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

galagazombie posted:

What happened to rhythm games anyhow? I’m not sad to see them go because I have the musical talent of a deaf drunkard so they’re not fun, but I had no ill will towards them. It just seems weird how we had so many DDR’s and Guitar Heroes and elite beat agents and it all just vanished in smoke. Even other genres that “went away” like Schmups still have devoted niche communities (like me) and get regular new releases. I never see any rhythm games on the eshop or similar.

You can't make an indie guitar hero clone as a small studio because you need to be able to manufacture + distribute controllers for it.
Nobody wants to play rhythm games on a normal xbox controller

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

its_my_birthday posted:

i kinda want to make an alt in ff14 but it seems like it might be a big waste of time since i already have a level 90 character?

The only thing I can think of is having more tries at the jumbo cactpot.

galagazombie posted:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

They don't require plastic instrument peripherals, but Crypt of the NecroDancer and BPM are rhythm games that exist.

its_my_birthday posted:

i kinda want to make an alt in ff14 but it seems like it might be a big waste of time since i already have a level 90 character? since you can play every class with one character

but on the other hand i dont want to spend irl money on a name change and fantasia

but on the third hand wow that's a lot of quests to do again

i dont really care about minions or mounts (since i have the accountwide motorcycle)

what would you do

Give MMO's a break. Find something else to play instead.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
also Cadence of Hyrule, which is basically NecroDancer 2 but with Zelda stuff and only available on switch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Duck and Cover posted:

Cuphead looks so much better without all the filters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNsVURz0dNw

Ew, nah, this is pretty eye-searing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cut my frame rate to pieces
This is my first resort
Castration
No breeding
Don't give a gently caress about memory leaking

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
My eyes lit up when I heard "rouge-like but its a rhythm game" but Necrodancer just feels like they didn't really properly work out how to do the gameplay

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Watching a white person play a rhythm game is the saddest thing

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Icochet posted:

Watching a white person play a rhythm game is the saddest thing

This can be extended to dancing.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
And jumping apparently

itry
Aug 23, 2019

This white person person sounds like a clutz

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a legit excellent game, especially given how lame its handheld predecessor was. not only that, but it has arguably the best level design for a 2D mario title (haven't played NSMBU)

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Don't forget about Friday Night Funkin' (which is abysmal, but still exists)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Unpopular but correct: the best rhythm game is in fact Dark Souls or maybe Arkham Asylum

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Unpopular but correct: the best rhythm game is in fact Dark Souls or maybe Arkham Asylum

Look at this guy who hasn't played Sekiro

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

Look at this guy who hasn't played Sekiro

White people can't play Sekiro is what you're saying

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Vic posted:

White people can't play Sekiro is what you're saying

As a white guy who got stumped on the final boss, yeah I guess that's what I'm saying :smith:

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
White people play NHL and Dragon age inquisition

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Now I'm gonna have a weird video game dream about the childhood scenes in The Jerk but it's gonna be about music games

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/AboveUp/status/1474844008975323136

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
actually true
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs3dGXYshhs

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Elentor posted:

The only thing I can think of is having more tries at the jumbo cactpot.

You're Brazilian right? Do you have any funny Sega Genesis as Apex of Technology stories?

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

galagazombie posted:

Rhythm games moved to VR, like beat saber and supernatural

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I've been finishing Okami and collecting all 100 stray beads these past three days. The game is very nice but towards the end the drawing gimmick gets old and cumbersome. Even on the switch where you can draw with your finger it's wonky and unreliable.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I don’t think I’ve ever played a game with a “draw” gimmick like Dawn of Sorrow or Okami where the game wasn’t objectively better with it removed. Note I’m not talking about actual drawing games like Kirby’s canvas curse.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I honestly don't know why guitar hero isn't still around but I would guess the target audience of "young enough to want to play with a plastic guitar but old enough to remember songs with guitars in them" is reaaaallly small

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It was a fad

Barudak
May 7, 2007

abigserve posted:

I honestly don't know why guitar hero isn't still around but I would guess the target audience of "young enough to want to play with a plastic guitar but old enough to remember songs with guitars in them" is reaaaallly small

This is where I net out to, too. There just haven't been enough four piece band hits to sustain a new generation

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
unpopular opinion: AC Valhalla looks way way better than Ghost of Tsushima (even with the directors cut)

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The AC games have always looked unbelievable but the actual gameplay is so janky and lovely it never holds

Red dead has a similar, much much milder issue. When you're riding a horse slowly across a river it looks like a picture. Then you deal with the cover system from the original gears of war and you get slingshot back into reality

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

abigserve posted:

The AC games have always looked unbelievable

Who can forget the scenic Italian greenery of those 360 games

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

abigserve posted:

Why would kids not be hearing songs with guitars in them

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

abigserve posted:

Don't discount us old fools. Still playing Rock Band occasionally, but when my guitar controller dies, that's it for it.
Getting replacement controllers is real pain in the rear end. £300 for unused guitars and £150 for used equipment of questionable quality.

Rock Band 5 with new supply of controllers would solve all my problems,
except is there any classic good rock songs that haven't been released yet and are licensable for the game?
Oh and Harmonix are currently working at the Fortnite-mines, so :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Why would kids not be hearing songs with guitars in them

Rock stopped being a culturally relevant genre about 20 years ago.