Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I often take Spear as my first skill because you can run backwards keeping them at bay, and it also boosts endurance giving you more hp faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Spear and Acrobatics have been lost to us in later games, but I'm pretty sure we can still crush skulls as an Orc, so there's that.

I immediately made a new character, a Nord Warrior, with the mini-goal of immediately traveling to, and never leaving, Dagon Fel / Sheogorad region. I want to see what kind of character I can make, and what kind of experience I can have, if I only restrict myself to this isolated backwater. After spending a couple hours putting around the region my first impression is that there is no goddamned smith in Dagon Fel.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

play as dunmer because I'm an n'wah, a filthy s'wit, an absolute fetcher

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Jack B Nimble posted:

Today I beat Morrowind.

:thumbsup: This is always a glorious occasion.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I'm chuffed people are getting enjoyment from MDMD, I'm glad it's adding something to everyone's playthrough a. I'm glad my week long fugue state of modding was worthwhile

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Node posted:

:thumbsup: This is always a glorious occasion.

Yeah, for how much I play the game I haven't pursued the main quest to completion in years and years. I was absolutely unprepared for what Dagoth Ur's Lieutenants looked like, so encountering the first one in Kogoruhn was a moment of real surprise and fear.

FlocksOfMice posted:

I'm chuffed people are getting enjoyment from MDMD, I'm glad it's adding something to everyone's playthrough a. I'm glad my week long fugue state of modding was worthwhile

Thanks for making it! Boss Crito was a real surprise the first time I ever encountered him, absolutely bodying me at level 1.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 25, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FlocksOfMice posted:

Do you have a list somewhere of everyone it makes harder? I’m super jacked but I’ve barely done any of the main quest so when I ran into Boss Crito at like level 60 it was a very fun surprising experience.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Agents are GO! posted:

It's fun to roleplay as yourself sometimes.

ugggh, imagine an elder scrolls isekai...it would either be horrifyingly badly written, or just horrifying.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

ugggh, imagine an elder scrolls isekai...it would either be horrifyingly badly written, or just horrifying.

My question is which Daedric Prince would get to them first?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Arivia posted:

Do you have a list somewhere of everyone it makes harder? I’m super jacked but I’ve barely done any of the main quest so when I ran into Boss Crito at like level 60 it was a very fun surprising experience.

The readme lists all 200+ npcs, what it changes about them, and why I did it. In rough overview it hits nearly every Npc in the daedric shrines, most final fights in each faction, and a bunch more. In a lot of cases it's less making them just harder and more giving them unique and weird spells or enchanted items to make fighting them less monotonous. For example, Molag Bal cultists use combined paralysis+dot spells or paralyze+short duration summons; Mehrunes Dagon cultists use rainbow damage; Malacath orcs have damage attribute curses, etc.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FlocksOfMice posted:

The readme lists all 200+ npcs, what it changes about them, and why I did it. In rough overview it hits nearly every Npc in the daedric shrines, most final fights in each faction, and a bunch more. In a lot of cases it's less making them just harder and more giving them unique and weird spells or enchanted items to make fighting them less monotonous. For example, Molag Bal cultists use combined paralysis+dot spells or paralyze+short duration summons; Mehrunes Dagon cultists use rainbow damage; Malacath orcs have damage attribute curses, etc.

quote:

The non-summoned Dremora will now summon help of their own; lesser Dremora calling on Clannfear, Dremora Lords calling in their own Dremora lackey!

oh so it's YOU i have to blame for every dremora fight turning into twice as many

it's actually one of the few things i fear so i am grateful for that change making the game challenging

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doc Hawkins posted:

Isekaiing into Skyrim was a whole genre of post a few years back.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Still puttering around in Dagon Fell during the Holiday break.

Trip report number 2: Not only is there no smith in Dagon Fel, the smithing hammers sold by the only two merchants on the island do not restock.

I'm playing a warrior with no non-weapon attacks :stare:

I'm going to place these precious few hammers into my cave hideout and save them for my best weapons and armor; I'll do my best to just use and discard lesser weapons on lesser enemies. At least I've decided on a goal for this mini - playthrough: earn enough coin from the island's ruins and caves to lift the villagers out of poverty, AKA bribe them all to 100 disposition. I genuinely don't know if I can do it with this PC.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Imagine playing as a warrior without a bound weapon spell

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Morrowind is just one of those games where it feels like it was designed to be played by a certain kind of class and all the other options were afterthoughts. There’s just too much non optional stuff that requires some degree of magic ability and such an abundance of obstacles that need magic to overcome, to not play at least a part mage. Sure you can succeed going full fight man or full sneak man, but it feels very clumsy and inefficient (and not inefficient in the “I’m compelled to create the optimal stat alignment!” nerd way either).
Skyrim is similar in that it really feels like you’re supposed to be playing a warrior. Where even though stealth archer is miles away better, it feels like it is because they didn’t build the game around you using it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I went full fight man (barbarian class) in my first playthrough and it went great. I’d need to keep a stock of potions and magical items on me to deal with various situations, but I had more carry weight than god so it didn’t matter.

It never felt like I was playing wrong or anything, but felt more like an adventurer keeping a variety of useful magic items that did more than simple stat bonuses.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I went full fight man (barbarian class) in my first playthrough and it went great. I’d need to keep a stock of potions and magical items on me to deal with various situations, but I had more carry weight than god so it didn’t matter.

It never felt like I was playing wrong or anything, but felt more like an adventurer keeping a variety of useful magic items that did more than simple stat bonuses.

Oh I wasn’t saying they didn’t make sure Conan types could do everything, but you always have to go through this extra layer of rigamarole to do it. It’s even worse with stealth characters (like my first “real” character) since literally every thing they specialize in is an inferior version of a magic skill. Warriors at least got inherent stats for buffness (like, as you said, carry weight) that a mage theoretically doesn’t have.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Imbalance is fun. If you want a perfect power curve with all archetypes balanced play ESO instead

Sincerely,
A permanent mage player

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
If a game has levitation, how can you not

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
The game throws steel blades of heaven at you like its a circus act, no need to actually put points in alteration.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, my last character had enough Alteration to cast a minor levitation spell on command, but for all of the second half of my playthrough I would just use one of the two or three levitation enchanted items I possessed.

TBH, that's kind of how ALL magic worked for me; anything important would end up on an item because I could spam it, while my considerable magical skills basically got regulated to unlocking, marking, recalling, and interventioning.

Whereas things I might actually do a lot, like healing, levitating, shielding, and destruction spells all came down to items or very nasty problem solving scrolls.

When Magicka doesn't regen but item charge does, it completely flips how I use spells and enchantments.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Gonna dump on the wizard staff, though. Who thought 1 pt levitation was a fun mechanic?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I would always fit 0 points of slowfall on one of my constant effect items with leftover charge points since it makes you immune to fall damage without actually having to be inconvenienced by slowfall. It’s wonderfully fun and convenient to just plummet from the top of Vivec to the ground floor with no care.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Guildenstern Mother posted:

The game throws steel blades of heaven at you like its a circus act, no need to actually put points in alteration.

:qq: But those weigh 3 units :qq:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

weigh my unit, milk drinker

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

they're awful yes

the good genre of elder scrolls fanfiction is "morrowind-born dunmer in another province" because there's simply so much more in dunmer culture for a good writer to work with than for literally any other possible protagonist

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
What I've always done is create a 1mp 1 power 11 second levitate spell. This lets you fly at about running speed, and you can just spam the spell to reach any height.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I just got Azura's Star, now begins my quest to become an enchanter god

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I just got Azura's Star, now begins my quest to become an enchanter god

My enchanter/alchemist god playthrough is currently stuck, as I've created potions so powerful that I straight up die when the effect wears off. :(

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Grevlek posted:

My enchanter/alchemist god playthrough is currently stuck, as I've created potions so powerful that I straight up die when the effect wears off. :(

Addiction is a hell of a thing :v:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Grevlek posted:

Not at a computer to share it, but if you use lua you can easily hook the 'death' event to just return false lol.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Grevlek posted:

:qq: I'm going into battle, potionmaker

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Grevlek posted:

How did you do that lol?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Today I beat Morrowind.

This is a crazy idea and I kind of love it. Congrats

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Lawman 0 posted:

How did you do that lol?

The “buff max health” effect rounds percentages so that when it wears off your buffed “current health out of max” is changed to a theoretically equivalent lower “current health out of max”. But because Bethesda didn’t set a 1 hp minimum value, losing a lot of health in your buffed state can cause it to round down to a value lower than 1 hp (aka 0 hp) when you go back to normal and thus die. This problem gets turbo charged when you combine the “buff max health” effect with buffs that increase attributes that effect max health like endurance, since your new health now isn’t even equivalent with all the changed attributes and you’ll actually lose chunks of health when it wears off. You don’t even have to create your own potions/spells to do this. This is in no way limited to people who break the game with exploits. Especially at lower levels standard store bought potions and spells will kill you this way. I myself killed myself multiple times with such effects. It’s so bad that buffing your health is legit more dangerous than the enemies.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Pretty sure the code patch has an option specifically to make sure you can't die from losing fortify health. Might want to give (re-)installing that a try.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Pretty sure the code patch has an option specifically to make sure you can't die from losing fortify health. Might want to give (re-)installing that a try.

Just lol if you don’t play on Xbox like a real man who scorns the weakness of patches. That unusable hammock in the Raven Rock player house is an integral part of the original artistic vision dammit!

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'm actually pretty light on mods and updates.

What do I need to install to fix this problem?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The MCP is not a mod, it's a stand alone executable and You Need It, I don't care how light your mod list is. I'm not exaggerating, unless you intend to have game breaking bugs for ... nostalgia?, you need it.

Edit: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/19510

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I decided to install Morrowind++ from the OP since I didn't want to think too hard about mods for a first time playthrough and I'm starting to question that decision because it's dark as poo poo at night and I want something closer to vanilla. I just wanted nice visuals and a few QoL things, not pitch darkness.