Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

could you loving imagine if literally "just the flu" was spreading through the general population at a rate of 500k cases per day and the CDC was just like "nah we don't are about those numbers"

its happening tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

THS2 posted:

they'll just effectively lock down again and continue their zero covid policy, because China has a functional government and a functional social contract

in china getting covid is considered like having the plague

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

:drat:

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

in america getting covid is a lil' shameful but NBD, ~2% kill rate tho

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/nbcconnecticut/status/1475189034536341507?s=21

OH THANK GOD I WAS WORRIED THERE FOR A SECOND

lol gently caress

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Getting covid is a 1/50 chance of death in the USA with no other considerations lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

going forward anyone who says that they got covid and felt really sick is lying

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

drat I crack pinged myself a lil

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

E: stupid point, lol ya no loving poo poo this isn't the time for your administration to talk blame

E Depois do Adeus fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 26, 2021

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Antonymous posted:

Getting covid is a 1/50 chance of death in the USA with no other considerations lol

hey now we don’t know that. maybe it’s just way lower now for no reason. you gotta wait for the science before making such a bold claim as “it’s not a different disease”. the only safe thing to say is that it is mild and we all have to live our lives.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
When omicron kills 500k Americans by this spring, how many victory laps are we going to see out of the biden admin just in time for the ADE variant

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

imagine a restaurant where about 7 days of the year the food kills everyone who eats there, poisoning that restricts breathing until death

americans are arguing its their right to eat at that restaurant

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

could you loving imagine if literally "just the flu" was spreading through the general population at a rate of 500k cases per day and the CDC was just like "nah we don't are about those numbers"

well

yes

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
“it’s the fault of individuals” -person in charge of collective response who is actually at fault.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

E Depois do Adeus posted:

By this administration's low standards this is a sound argument tbh. The federal government has little local capacity and the local governments have no desire to intervene in communities if it doesn't involve brutalizing minorities. Blame is quite dangerous given what's happened this year (and what's probably about to happen these next two weeks).

Appealing to individual power is something of a cop out for such a punitive government with a vast surveillance apparatus, but individual power is essentially what this thread has been improving throughout its existence. Reading between the lines I think this is tacit approval of the individual decisions made by everyone who has defied CDC guidance and """expert""" advice

Obviously this means it'll be walked back in a few days

it's up to your individual decision making*

* - most of the media coverage is lies
** - does not apply when you're working
*** - does not apply to your children when they go to school
**** - will be shunned by others if you actually practice individual responsibility

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Wasn't it just a week at most ago when just over literally half of the entire NYC Dept of Health's employees were out sick on at least one day (and probably more than just one)?

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
My wife's idiot best friend (self-described leftist, fwiw) decided it was a good idea to fly to Florida several days ago to visit his chud family. "It's ok, I'm going to be careful." After a few days of mixing households (safely) and going out to eat (safely), he's complaining of having the worst cold he's ever had for the past four days.

He's taken two rapid tests, they showed up negative. But apparently he also booked a $200 lab test because he needs it to...fly to Europe tomorrow to visit his elderly immunocompromised dad. :rubby:

"I can't wait to get out of Florida, it's plague lands here." Sorry, but you're part of it. Your recklessness isn't more moral than their recklessness.

He's either going to have to "quarantine" 14 days in Florida with his chud family or he's going to fly to Europe and kill his dad (safely).

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Stereotype posted:

hey now we don’t know that. maybe it’s just way lower now for no reason. you gotta wait for the science before making such a bold claim as “it’s not a different disease”. the only safe thing to say is that it is mild and we all have to live our lives.
I’m waiting on the peer-reviewed science because I don’t want to jump to conclusions and am sure it will still be pertinent when it hits print three major variants from now.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley
so how many people do you think spiderman will kill?

ive always thought capeshit was actively corrosive to society and now i have indisputable proof of that.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Antonymous posted:

imagine a restaurant where about 7 days of the year the food kills everyone who eats there, poisoning that restricts breathing until death

americans are arguing its their right to eat at that restaurant

We call it Freedom

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

CaptainACAB posted:

ive always thought capeshit was actively corrosive to society and now i have indisputable proof of that.

Spiderman doesn't have a cape, silly

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Brogeoisie posted:

When omicron kills 500k Americans by this spring, how many victory laps are we going to see out of the biden admin just in time for the ADE variant

well, we can count each variant as its own thing right?

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh poo poo

https://www.financialexpress.com/li...r/2390041/lite/

quote:

Nasal Covid-19 vaccine readies for January roll out in India; Here’s how it will be a ‘game changer’

Written By FE Online
December 26, 2021 3:18:31 pm

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday in his address to the nation announced the world’s first DNA vaccine, a three-dose nasal vaccine by Zydus Cadila to be soon available for India’s Covid-19 vaccination drive.

The announcement comes at a crucial time when India is witnessing a sharp rise in the Omicron variant of Covid-19 and as the World Health Organisation reiterated vaccination as the only way out through a possible third wave.

What is a nasal vaccine

Nasal vaccine is administered through the nose and not syringe making it easy for application to children. It can generate an immune response at the site of infection within respiratory passage starting from nasal airways and is most suitable for children as it blocks both infection and transmission of Covid-19.

How the nasal vaccine will be administered

The vaccine will be administered using a needle-free applicator as opposed to the traditional syringes. The applicator is called “PharmaJet”.

PharmaJet is a needle-free applicator to ensure painless intradermal vaccine delivery, which also leads to a significant reduction in any kind of major side effects. The three doses of ZyCoV-D are to be administered 28 days apart.

Which other nasal vaccines are being developed in India?

Apart from Zydus Cadila, Bharat Biotech is developing a BBV154 nasal vaccine for children in collaboration with Washington University School of Medicine (WUSM). Bharat Biotech das applied for regulatory nod to conduct Phase-3 trials of its nasal Covid-19 vaccine that can be used as a booster shot for those vaccinated with Covaxin and Covishield.

Serum Institute of India (SII) , already administering a syringe based Covaxin and developing another for children is also testing the efficacy of the intransal COVI-VAC Covid vaccine in collaboration with New York-based vaccine maker Codagenix.

What WHO have to say about intranasal vaccines?

World Health Organisation’s Chief Scientist Dr Soumya Swaminathan has said that the nasal vaccine could be a ‘game-changer for children’ as they are easy to administer and will give local immunity at respiratory tract. .

I hadn't heard of Zydus Cadila's vaccine until now - here's more about the injectible version:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZyCoV-D

quote:

The vaccine contains a DNA plasmid vector that carries the gene encoding the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2. As with other DNA vaccines, the recipient's cells then produce the spike protein, eliciting a protective immune response. The plasmid also contains unmethylated CpG motifs to enhance its immunostimulatory properties.

The plasmid is produced using E. coli cells.

The vaccine is given as an intradermal injection using a spring-powered jet injector. This is because successful transfection of DNA vaccines requires traveling across both the cell plasma membrane and the nuclear membrane, and using a conventional needle gives poor results and leads to low immunogenicity.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

JBP posted:

gently caress I hope you guys are ok for real

Lmao

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Stereotype posted:

“it’s the fault of individuals” -person in charge of collective response who is actually at fault.

look, the government is there to optimize and manage rent extraction and nothing more. vote better

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

CaptainACAB posted:

You dont like copganda?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

My boss is out with Covid and the earliest I could possibly get tested is next Sunday. So I'm just gonna not worry about it.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Business Gorillas posted:

it's up to your individual decision making*

* - most of the media coverage is lies
** - does not apply when you're working
*** - does not apply to your children when they go to school
**** - will be shunned by others if you actually practice individual responsibility

Yea I rewatched the video and my point is not supported. completely inappropriate for this admin to talk individual responsibility when they've deliberately hindered the sensemaking process to this extent

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Why Am I So Tired posted:

My wife's idiot best friend (self-described leftist, fwiw) decided it was a good idea to fly to Florida several days ago to visit his chud family. "It's ok, I'm going to be careful." After a few days of mixing households (safely) and going out to eat (safely), he's complaining of having the worst cold he's ever had for the past four days.

He's taken two rapid tests, they showed up negative. But apparently he also booked a $200 lab test because he needs it to...fly to Europe tomorrow to visit his elderly immunocompromised dad. :rubby:

"I can't wait to get out of Florida, it's plague lands here." Sorry, but you're part of it. Your recklessness isn't more moral than their recklessness.

He's either going to have to "quarantine" 14 days in Florida with his chud family or he's going to fly to Europe and kill his dad (safely).

its like all the libs blaming the unvaccinated despite, yknow, millions of breakthrough cases

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ascii genitals posted:

Checking Walgreens everything is sold out in my area, checking Amazon I can get some at home covid tests delivered like 2 weeks from now lmao.

I think he meant there was 9 total units available

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

CaptainACAB posted:

Spiderman will have a net positive effect on life because seeing him swing around is good for mental health.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

In my (WFH) job I've been doing a lot of stuff involving COVID response especially among underserved communities. One hilarious thing I learned is that the messaging around "you should take precautions and get vaccinated to help protect your community" cut ice with exactly one and only one ethnic community in the US, the indigenous population. For everybody else, they had to immediately pivot to "you'll loving die you moron" and that didn't even work.

Another fascinating and depressing point was when the Native population was rolling out the vaccine, they had to consider not only stuff like age and comorbidities but also they prioritized people who spoke languages that are nearly extinct.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

my spouses childhood friend came over...he

lol

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

McNugget Buddy posted:

Oh poo poo

https://www.financialexpress.com/li...r/2390041/lite/

I hadn't heard of Zydus Cadila's vaccine until now - here's more about the injectible version:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZyCoV-D

G I M M E

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

lmao at the cops wearing the shittiest masks. good. die you morons so you dont infect anyone

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Gio posted:

its like all the libs blaming the unvaccinated despite, yknow, millions of breakthrough cases

"I flew across the country to spend a week maskless with people who don't wear masks, can you believe how irresponsible these clowns are?"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

cr0y posted:

Ok the new movie "Don't look up" is loving hilarious.

"We are for the jobs that the comet will provide"

"I heard it's actually a good thing if omicron the comet hits us"

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Stereotype posted:

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I am in charge of reservation scheduling software and we’re getting rampant reports of confirmed reservations at locations which are closed today. everyone thought it was a software bug til we realized it’s just that nobody is showing up to work to open the locations.

no big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Paradoxish posted:

Omicron's timing in the US is just insane. Even if you're wholly onboard the suck 'n' gently caress train, this poo poo is so transmissible and just everywhere that right now is the absolute worst time to go out and do anything. The fact that Omicron's hyperspread is coinciding perfectly with some of the busiest holidays and travel days of the year is loving crazy.

People’s inability to accept that bad things can happen at inconvenient times just loving blows my mind as a person who has experienced a lifetime of bad things and inconvenience.