Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

George H.W. oval office posted:

Was really hoping for a circling of ketamine ala black suv. Also we are getting dangerously close to the end of the season without a “surprise mother fucker.” I was sure Dex would have done it to his kidnapper in the cabin.

He kinda did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

that car crash was the most ridiculous thing i've seen on television in years lol i also love the mental image of this busted up pickup sitting there idling against a pole on the side of the road for several hours? as Dexter hikes miles back to it in the dark. not many people out on the road these days it seems!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

My only problem with the crash was that the truck guy still had a face on. What with Dexter garroting it while they were crashing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People are criticizing the "ketamine miami homicide" thing but I don't think it is all that unrealistic. People in general are loving stupid. If there were news reports of the BHB using etorphine, at some point someone is going to tell someone else "I heard the bay harbor butcher used some sort of drug, uh, ketamine I think" because they've heard of ketamine and couldn't remember the other one. Then enough people are going to be searching ketamine with BHB search terms that google eventually just gives you Bay Harbor Butcher if you search any combination of "ketamine", "miami", and some variaton of "murder".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

itry posted:

My only problem with the crash was that the truck guy still had a face on. What with Dexter garroting it while they were crashing.

Dexter also flew out the car on the side after it skid into the pole at a low speed. :iiam:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 26, 2021

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
They missed an opportunity not having Kurt and an accomplice try to kidnap Harrison from his home, only to find it had been rigged with a number of dangerous traps.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Dexter also flew out the car on the side after it skid into the pole at a low speed. :iiam:

He used the secret ejection (back) seat :ssh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's an old PI trick.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also maybe I missed something when Dexter jumped the goon in the summer camp, but I feel like the sequence of events was:

1) goon sees movement and fires a shot
2) false alarm, what he saw was his reflection in a mirror
3) false false alarm, the mirror was actually hiding Dexter behind it

What exactly did the goon shot at? ‘Cause it sure wasn’t the mirror, and behind a mirror seems like the worst hiding place if you’re trying to trick a dude who shoots at anything that moves.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
*sees snow footprints leading to a river*

"Oldest trick in the book, you won't fool me!"

*Sees blood trail suddenly updating at regular and convenient intervals*

"Seems legit!"

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
He doesn't fire a shot.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
Also the blood trail was legit, that's how he tracked Dexter to the summer camp.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

vseslav.botkin posted:

Also the blood trail was legit, that's how he tracked Dexter to the summer camp.

It was still a trick. Dexter was pretty much squeezing his wound to get blood to come out.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Dexter was occasionally removing his tourniquet to shoot some blood on the ground because that's how human bodies work.

This episode was top-tier good Dexter and top-tier bad Dexter at the same time. Especially the old PI trick of yeeting yourself through a windshield and also showing Kurt hobbling away in a straight line for several seconds and them having them go "bwuhhh? He's gone!"

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
dangit, disappeared behind that tree. let's go home harrison, we'll get him next time.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Eh. Doesn't seem a smart idea to go after a man who's a full head taller than you when you've got a stab wound handicap, you're exhausted from running all day, and you haven't necessarily secured the loyalty of your ally (who's not really in a fit state to fight either, tbh). Plus dark, snow, enemy turf advantage...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Didn't Caldwell drop his gun?

"Hey Harrison get his gun and cover me. I'm gonna go run him over."

VROOM VROOM posted:

Dexter was occasionally removing his tourniquet to shoot some blood on the ground because that's how human bodies work.

This episode was top-tier good Dexter and top-tier bad Dexter at the same time. Especially the old PI trick of yeeting yourself through a windshield and also showing Kurt hobbling away in a straight line for several seconds and them having them go "bwuhhh? He's gone!"

Top tier Dexter is also having the billionaire fakeout as the central villain for the season. Unless he miraculously makes a comeback in the final 2 episodes.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The billionaire actually funded doctor Vogel but she went rogue and made the code, he still has her results and presses a button that unleashed an army of serial killers upon the town

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Didn't Caldwell drop his gun?

"Hey Harrison get his gun and cover me. I'm gonna go run him over."

Top tier Dexter is also having the billionaire fakeout as the central villain for the season. Unless he miraculously makes a comeback in the final 2 episodes.

The gun was dropped but got ran over and broke onto pieces.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ep was good gently caress all of you. Nice how they showed the gun being run over in the initial flash forward which made me think that would happen at the crash scene. Absolute lmfao at the Commando moment where the blazer was immaculate driving away at the end after having sowzed into that pole earlier on

My thought is Phillips or what's his name has reflected on the greatness of the Sopranos and is giving us this payoff before "ripping it all away" aka killing Dexter or Harrison or both or sending him to jail. I think there's a very low chance they escape from all this.

Miami Metro shows up to bust them in the final scene after Dexter and Harrison have killed the whole iron lake police force?

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I hope Harrison dies just so we get a full 10 minutes of deb calling dexter a piece of poo poo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm starting to think we aren't actually getting any John Lithgow and the snippet they keep showing is all we're getting.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
they've only showed one shot of him, hasn't been repeatedly as far as i remember.

i heard something like he was in 4 episodes, but that can't be true anymore unless you count the picture of him harrison saw on molly's blog back in ep 4 or whenever. maybe that was totally false but i've been expecting a head appearance in either dexter or harrison. maybe next week during dexter's story.

i just realised molly wasn't in this episode.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Top tier Dexter is also having the billionaire fakeout as the central villain for the season.
I thought he and Kurt were the same person for multiple episodes. got my rear end

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

roomtone posted:

dangit, disappeared behind that tree. let's go home harrison, we'll get him next time.

for a second i genuinely thought he had fallen through some thin ice.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
^^ I'm sorry, I can't divulge information, about that customer's secret, illegal murderring. Oh crap

you only get john lithgow's rear end. sorry everyone, you knew in your heart that would be it. back to deviantart with you.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 27, 2021

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Hi I loved the original show thread and I guess I'm back for more now.

Angela is connecting all these really spurious dots about Dexter all of a sudden, but needed Angel to tell her that sometimes there are patterns in crimes.

The show is really taking a turn toward being too serious now. I enjoyed the boss talking about his dog Garfield and Dexter being annoyed by the bratty son he killed a lot more than watching Dexter get chased by a hillybilly for ten minutes. I hope it goes back to being campy.

Whoever said they wanted to watch Clancy Brown psychologically torment Harrison and Dexter had it right - imagine if he told Harrison about Dexter's kills! So weird for him to do the hunting thing on him instead.

I bet he's got a crazy taxidermy room full of his kills, mounted like trophies. Then Dexter can see it and make a quip about how killers like trophies.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hillbilly chased Dexter into a summer camp. That's pretty campy.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also maybe I missed something when Dexter jumped the goon in the summer camp, but I feel like the sequence of events was:

1) goon sees movement and fires a shot
2) false alarm, what he saw was his reflection in a mirror
3) false false alarm, the mirror was actually hiding Dexter behind it

What exactly did the goon shot at? ‘Cause it sure wasn’t the mirror, and behind a mirror seems like the worst hiding place if you’re trying to trick a dude who shoots at anything that moves.

Trucker didn't actually shoot the mirror. Also it's possible Dexter was hiding somewhere else on that side of the room and just seized the opportunity.

VROOM VROOM posted:

Well, he was wearing snow camo. That's basically an invisibility cloak.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Based on the extremely wide shot of him jogging into what is essentially an empty field and what it zooms in on after he is offscreen for 4 seconds, Kurt is canonically either camo-invisible like Metal Gear Solid, hiding behind the one tree, or in what appears to be a barrel.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

He is camo-invisible and he pulled a box barrel out of his pocket to hide in.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Punished Caldwell and Revolver Harrison

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

A God drat Ghost posted:

Whoever said they wanted to watch Clancy Brown psychologically torment Harrison and Dexter had it right - imagine if he told Harrison about Dexter's kills! So weird for him to do the hunting thing on him instead.

there's a whole other route here that would've made for an exciting cliffhanger. kurt spills in the beans in the cabin, harrison doesn't believe him. then dexter shows up and attacks kurt, and is about to kill him when harrison gets a flash of trinity intermingled with dexter. he's wondering if dexter actually killed rita, and then he jumps on him to stop him from killing kurt. kurt's laughing his rear end off as harrison freaks out, saying dexter's a killer and runs away. dexter follows harrison into the night leading into a situation where angela and harrison are racing to find harrison for different reasons.

you could even do a whole thing where dexter ends up being wanted for murders he didn't actually do. harrison thinks he killed rita, kurt has meanwhile fabricated evidence linking him to the runaway killings. revealing kurt to be this master manipulator would do a lot to improve him as a villain because as is he's just kind of a big dumb dickhead.

i'm not sure if i would prefer this, because the prospect of next week's father/son team up looks like fun, but it would've improved this episode which was mostly just a long interruption of dexter and harrison's conversation from episode 7 which will now resume in episode 9.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 27, 2021

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

NowonSA posted:

I think you can just leave it at "the Bay Harbor victims had evidence of small puncture wounds on their necks...
...gives more credit to the intelligence of the character doing the investigating if they connect those dots.
I'm :v:ing so hard over here.

I liked the episode. It was perfect Dexter: You laugh at all the really stupid contrivances and enjoy all the not-stupid contrivances. Only two parts really fell through for me, as well as Dexter fell through that back window. One, the way Kurt reacted to the first time Harrison lets himself get hit. I know he set it all up to happen that way to sorta test him (or something?) but the way he just says nothing and just keeps hitting him is like the stupidest but also goofiest way to "have a connection" with this mental case. Second, the fact Angela didn't circle the word "Ketamine" at least twice with a black pen. I was soooooooooo hoping they'd provide that wink to the audience. Oh well!

Here's a fun gif. Once you snip a couple of the shots added to make it not so hilarious, it is hilarious.
https://i.imgur.com/HjJA2qt.mp4

Oh yeah, one last thing. Sorry "Good Harrison" folks but it looks like ya lost! But if you somehow end up winning and Harrison reacts to Dexter's stories completely horrified and being like "I'm hosed up but not THAT hosed up!" that'll be wonderful too. It's really a win/win situation at this point.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 27, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

DaveKap posted:

Here's a fun gif. Once you snip a couple of the shots added to make it not so hilarious, it is hilarious.
https://i.imgur.com/HjJA2qt.mp4

It looks like the stunt was fine, they just shot/edited it really badly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

idk why but this is giving me big Harrison treadmill flashbacks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cojawfee posted:

People are criticizing the "ketamine miami homicide" thing but I don't think it is all that unrealistic. People in general are loving stupid. If there were news reports of the BHB using etorphine, at some point someone is going to tell someone else "I heard the bay harbor butcher used some sort of drug, uh, ketamine I think" because they've heard of ketamine and couldn't remember the other one. Then enough people are going to be searching ketamine with BHB search terms that google eventually just gives you Bay Harbor Butcher if you search any combination of "ketamine", "miami", and some variaton of "murder".

Given how google works, typing "ketamine Bay Harbor Butcher" would probably show the exact same results as searching for "drugs bay harbor butcher". Typing any other drug would probably have given the same, too.

But I agree with the other goon who pointed out it would have made a lot more sense to use "puncture wounds in the neck" as the modifying term.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

idk why but this is giving me big Harrison treadmill flashbacks.

It's the quick cuts. At least the stunt is being performed by somebody that's about the same size as MCH.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So Kurt has spent 20 years quietly killing people and no one has ever suspected anything.

This episode he tries to murder a child, and probably his father, while his employee watches. No matter how loyal the cut-rate Joker is, that's some poor decision making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Hereditary (2018)