Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Oh I know what I wanted to ask post credit spoiler:. this means that Eddie is back in the Sony only dimension right? We got some goop left over for a possible venom, but Tim Hardy won't be it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Soonmot posted:

Oh I know what I wanted to ask post credit spoiler:. this means that Eddie is back in the Sony only dimension right? We got some goop left over for a possible venom, but Tim Hardy won't be it?
That’s what I took from it, yeah

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

A lot of theorizing on the internet that the Venom is actually set in the ASM universe.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

hiddenriverninja posted:

A lot of theorizing on the internet that the Venom is actually set in the ASM universe.

That could work. (NWH Spoilers) I mean given all the villains came from the Tobeyverse or Garfieldverse, that'd make sense.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Except that we know that Morbius is aware of who Venom is and for some unfathomable reason, Vulture from MCU is there as well.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Perhaps it's just in its own crazy universe and everything else going forward will ignore it. That's my bet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

More B.S.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

https://youtu.be/u34gHaRiBIU

daaaaamn

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That's a pretty great trailer. Already thought it was going to be good but that looks even better than I expected.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I gotta agree. Daaaaaamn.

The music feels really good.

I feel like the story is going in the more modern "The Waynes were trying to save the city, but that doesn't mean their hands were completely clean" version of the history. Which I like.

The haircut on Bruce is a little...crappy for a guy with as much money as he has. It's emo spider-man levels of bowl cut. But I like that he seems like a anti-social weirdo again.

Feels very Batman meets Seven

Also, the last second of the trailer has some kind of crypogram/cypher on it. Bet that will be solved by the time I hit post.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Man that new bat mobile is siiiiicccckkkkk

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The dialogue in the first trailer wasn't great but I feel better about the movie after that one.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Very good trailer.

Are they doing a stealth-Court of Owls with the Riddler?

Every time I see that loving Riddler all I can think is "You could have saved her mr Police Batman. I gave you all the clues."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm kinda burned out on dark and gritty stuff. The trailer looks good, but hopefully it's not all dark and depressing stuff. Seems like they might be doing a Court of Owls thing?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
To me it's much better than the second trailer but aboout the same as the first.

I'm sure it will get rationalized as this being very early in his career and he still hasn't learned how to be the best Batman he can be or whatever, but the idea of any kind of Bruce Wayne -- year one, year fifty, whichever -- not being interested in philanthropy is...kinda sus. Like, yeah, you can do a version of Batman who doesn't help the city in any way other than punching, but that sucks so why would you.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BrianWilly posted:

To me it's much better than the second trailer but aboout the same as the first.

I'm sure it will get rationalized as this being very early in his career and he still hasn't learned how to be the best Batman he can be or whatever, but the idea of any kind of Bruce Wayne -- year one, year fifty, whichever -- not being interested in philanthropy is...kinda sus. Like, yeah, you can do a version of Batman who doesn't help the city in any way other than punching, but that sucks so why would you.

Yeah, same, that fell flat for me for the same reason as the "true end" of Arkham Knight

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Retro Futurist posted:

Man that new bat mobile is siiiiicccckkkkk

1000% sold on the muscle car batmobile.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Kinda hope this isn't doing "The Waynes were awful, actually" approach from the Telltale game. Making the Waynes lovely is like making the Parkers secret agents; it doesn't really change the core formula significantly, but re-shades motivations just enough to be less interesting (Batman as a redeemer for the Waynes bad deeds and Spider-Man as carrying on the legacy of Parker heroics)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It feels like they are doing some version of that

Which to be honest would be nice since there are no good billionaires

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

This movie is going to be so good.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Very good trailer.

Are they doing a stealth-Court of Owls with the Riddler?

I’m getting same vibes

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The Waynes were killed by Joe chill because while they did "philanthropy" they gained their fortune the same way every other billionaire does by the exploitation and immiseration of their fellow man. Were the slayings vengeance or justice?

Then the question is "Is batman's war on crime, which is targeting the underclasses, a quest for justice or vengeance itself?"

At least that would be interesting commentary!

Having at the moment read every batman comic until not 1982 I can say that pre crisis batman had the specific subtext of being the guardian of the wealthy and an oppressor of the poor!

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 27, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

FlamingLiberal posted:

Which to be honest would be nice since there are no good billionaires

in the long list of things that don't exist in real life, that do exist in superhero movies, that is not even in the top 5 most outlandish

maybe the top 20

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OnimaruXLR posted:

Kinda hope this isn't doing "The Waynes were awful, actually" approach from the Telltale game. Making the Waynes lovely is like making the Parkers secret agents; it doesn't really change the core formula significantly, but re-shades motivations just enough to be less interesting (Batman as a redeemer for the Waynes bad deeds and Spider-Man as carrying on the legacy of Parker heroics)

At least Spider-Man's parents are generally a non-factor. And if Stan is to be believed (if), he didn't really think or care about them but fans kept asking so he wrote a story that had to have action and he wanted an intriguing reason why they were never mentioned.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I mostly like it but yeah, a non-philanthropic Bruce Wayne feels weird. I am excited for Catwoman though, she looks like she's going to be a lot of fun. I don't necessarily hate the idea that the Waynes weren't great, but we've done the "Bruce discovers his parents were caught up in sketchy business" a few times now so I hope this one does something a little different with it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OnimaruXLR posted:

Gotham did a thing where Thomas Wayne was well meaning but so insulated from things that he had no idea his company was actually up to shady poo poo.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

catlord posted:

I don't necessarily hate the idea that the Waynes weren't great, but we've done the "Bruce discovers his parents were caught up in sketchy business" a few times now so I hope this one does something a little different with it.

Comics, yes. Games, yes. That animated Long Halloween, yes.

Have we done it in the movies though? Pretty sure it's not brought up in the Burton or Schumacher films, not in the Nolan trilogy (unless it was in Rises, only watched once) and there's no room for it in BVS or JL.

And I'm not saying that the Waynes need to be lovely 1%-ers that only appeared to be altruistic, and were actually skimming off the top from the free clinics and hospitals. But having them make a deal with the devil to get what they wanted is more realistic than having them be unquestioned saints. Given that we have Penguin in this movie, and the Cobblepots were another blue blooded, high society family of Gotham from the same time period, maybe they can look at how they were probably friendly back and forth between families.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hm. "What if nice thing you thought was good was actually secretly bad all along" is how we tend to get time-traveling evil Jor-El and Azzarello's Shamazons so I'm never going to be super jazzed for that idea. Maybe this film can pull it off, but at this point I feel like it's almost more daring and radical for a story to go "Yes, obviously Bruce Wayne devotes time to charity and philanthropy and helping Gotham with his wealth as well as his vigilantism. Of course he does, why is this a question?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like if you have this early in his time as Batman you could do a thing where he's so consumed by 'The Mission' that he's not really paying any attention to what the company's doing and just assuming it's continuing his parents' charity work, and Selina snaps him out of that. But I think if it's that early you wouldn't have the signal.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

CzarChasm posted:

Comics, yes. Games, yes. That animated Long Halloween, yes.

Have we done it in the movies though?

My issue is more that it feels like we keep hitting the same beats with the storyline. Maybe the movie will do something new with it, but at the moment when I hear about them doing "Waynes did sketchy poo poo" I kinda feel like I've already heard that one before (then again, I hadn't heard The Long Halloween did stuff with that, I assume more than the brief bit in the comic where Thomas Wayne operated on Falcone's son?).

Edit: Was the Long Halloween adaptation any good? I didn't hear too much about it.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 28, 2021

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, if a lack of philanthropy is being brought up, especially in the first act, then I'll put money into Bruce correcting that by the film's end. There's also this -https://twitter.com/thebatfilm/status/1473861425625894914 which implies some form of philanthropy going on. If I was willing to bet though, this will be a story about Batman deciding what kind of Batman he is going to be. Whether a vengeance fuelled madman or someone working to make things better especially if rumours are correct that the film will be building into its dramatic conflicts his decision not to kill etc So I'd expect him to be morally dubious towards the start but start to grow/change etc as the story rolls on.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Karloff posted:

Yeah, if a lack of philanthropy is being brought up, especially in the first act, then I'll put money into Bruce correcting that by the film's end. There's also this -https://twitter.com/thebatfilm/status/1473861425625894914 which implies some form of philanthropy going on. If I was willing to bet though, this will be a story about Batman deciding what kind of Batman he is going to be. Whether a vengeance fuelled madman or someone working to make things better especially if rumours are correct that the film will be building into its dramatic conflicts his decision not to kill etc So I'd expect him to be morally dubious towards the start but start to grow/change etc as the story rolls on.
Yes they've said that this is a very raw Batman who is pretty early into his career so that makes perfect sense to me

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I just don't want "What if Batman is secretly making things worse, v7.0"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don't think it was posted, but The Batman will be available to stream on HBO Max 46 days after initial theatrical release. WB is not going to do the thing they did this year in 2022 of putting out some new movies on streaming and in theaters at the same time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

The Parkers have been secret agents in the comic for the vast majority of the character's histories.

And honestly "Bruce Wayne is focused more on the raw angry violence of being Batman and needs to have it broken out of him so he can start doing good as Bruce Wayne too" feels like an interesting if predictable method of handling the character who is usually treated as "He is the good guy but gradually starts becoming more violent and broken."

Like I think the idea that "I am going to become a Batman" is the raw angry response of a man looking for vengence and him gradually rediscovering his humanity and what he can do besides lashing out in anger probably evokes the character better than the "gradual descent into being a paranoid shithead" version that so many things like to go to.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's a fine take on the character but the trailer itself definitely framed it in a "look at everything I'm doing for these ingrates" sense. Now, it's a trailer so that means pretty much nothing, but it's all we've got to go on at the moment.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I think the movie looks good but what I'd really like to see is a Bruce Wayne who spends most of his time making Gotham better through philanthropic programs and only ever puts on the Batman suit to get the corrupt businessmen, politicians, organized crime bosses, clown themed serial killers, sex traffickers, etc that slip through the cracks of the justice system. Like I don't really need to see a whole movie about the months of daytime social activism that lead up to the 2 night punchfest but what I wouldn't give for at least a mention or nod because, Jesus, otherwise you've got a Dark Knight who fundamentally does not understand what justice is or who is constantly aiming his vengeance in the wrong direction.

Like Batman doesn't always have to be ten 4d chess moves ahead of everyone but he can't be an idiot.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

CzarChasm posted:

Have we done it in the movies though? Pretty sure it's not brought up in the Burton or Schumacher films, not in the Nolan trilogy (unless it was in Rises, only watched once) and there's no room for it in BVS or JL.

I haven't actually watched Joker because I have it on good authority there are not many punches and a real shortage of explosions in it, but isn't there some stuff about Thomas Wayne being a bit of a prick?

Granted, I also heard some stuff about unreliable narrator poo poo, so who knows

I always thought a good way to make some "rich people are bad, actually" stuff for Bruce's background is to do it through the Kanes, considering Martha seems to be almost a seperate entity from the rest of them, and they're both rich and aligned with the military, which is two questionable tastes that taste like war profiteering together

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

catlord posted:

I hadn't heard The Long Halloween did stuff with that, I assume more than the brief bit in the comic where Thomas Wayne operated on Falcone's son?

Edit: Was the Long Halloween adaptation any good? I didn't hear too much about it.

To point number one, it seemed to hint in the animated movie that the relationship was more of a two way street. This is not overt, or openly stated, just more of a sense of what might have happened

TW: I don't want to have to partner up with a known crime boos to get this hospital built. That's blood money
CF: Tough poo poo. Nothing happens in this town without some crime boss' say so. We both stand to profit from this partnership, we both get what we want.
TW: Guess I have no choice then :shrug:. Honey, I'm a mob doctor now.

And then Falcone seems to play it up with how the Falcone family and the Waynes go way back, that they were partners together for a long time, and he seems to push the angle that the Waynes legitimized his standing in society.

As for if it's any good as an adaptation, it seems like it changes a few beats here and there. Not super familiar with the original story. It kept me entertained for however long it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Realizing I have the Court of Owls trades that I should get around to reading before the new movie (and before the Gotham Knights game which will be drawing from that storyline as well).