Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Miftan posted:

Did your boyfriend not mind you beating off three men outside a pub?

No, they had kicked him in the head and he was pretty bad for 3 days but wouldn't go to hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Borrovan posted:

Small Allen key?

Failing that, hacksaw

Hacksaw would be my suggestion but be careful, it's probably under tension so it might ping off a bit when you get it partially cut, so keep your face and body away from it.

E: I see you have already removed it.

Lady Demelza posted:

I keep a hatchet in my hallway because of various feuding neighbours used to like smacking each other on their doorsteps. When a painter/decorater came round he asked me about it and then nodded sagely as I explained and said it was a good idea, living where I do.

Never had to use it. Probably because everyone knew I kept a hatchet by my front door to greet any grumpy callers.

Adding "secret juggalo" to your name under goons.xls

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 26, 2021

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Someone once knocked on the door of my house, I answered and a man asked me what I wanted. I was a bit confused and reminded him he knocked on my door, then he walked off. We got burgled a few days later.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Coming out of a pub in Englefield Green one night very many moons ago, a couple of guys were waiting outside and attacked my boyfriend while a third held me back. Luckily, I had a copy of Mathematical Physics by Eugene Butkov in my large handbag and managed to beat them off.

I love a story with a happy ending.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm now nearly blind in one eye because in january 2020 I decided to use lockdown as an excuse to assemble self-assembly furniture and an alan key pinged under tension and hit me in the eye. :(

Convex posted:

Someone once knocked on the door of my house, I answered and a man asked me what I wanted. I was a bit confused and reminded him he knocked on my door, then he walked off. We got burgled a few days later.

I had a similar thing with mini finding someone in our garden when she was letting the dogs out a day after I caught the scrap man trying to make off with the lawnmower I was literally plugging in at the time. Only they never came back because the two main families on the estate you don't want to piss off were pissed off about it, because although scamps themselves and not above sawing two cars in half, robbing the disabled lad's house is crossing a line.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
The one time I got a real actual 4-figure bonus (from the games company I worked for - practically unheard of but the studio head at the time was a good egg and we'd just had a couple of decent successes) I splurged most of it on an Alienware gaming laptop, which was stolen from my girlfriend's house a week later. They broke her (ground floor) bedroom window while she was watching TV with her housemate in the next room. Took the laptop, a bunch of jewellery and a fuckton of codeine.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1475129580390338565
For some PMs it’s dead pigs. For others…

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Just watched Don't Look Up

Woof

Great film but now I need to watch some Witcher or something idiotic and escapist because I've just endured a two hour dose of brutally reflected reality delivered directly into my face

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

No, they had kicked him in the head and he was pretty bad for 3 days but wouldn't go to hospital.

Who paid for the dry cleaning afterwards?

Tomberforce fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 26, 2021

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

lol at the idea that after two years of being Prime Minister the papers have only just gotten around to the idea of looking up what he wrote and published.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

lol at the idea that after two years of being Prime Minister the papers have only just gotten around to the idea of looking up what he wrote and published.

Given how fanatically defensive media types get when you start quoting their own articles/columns/dribblings back at them, it's dark days in Westminster if they're now doing it themselves.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

NORMAN

NORMAN

GO AND PULL ALL THE CRACKERS NORMAN

THE CRACKERS ON THE TREE IN THE GREAT ROOM, NORMAN!!!!!!!!!!!

THE WOKE BRIGADE, THEY'RE INTERFERING WITH THE JOKES NORMAN I JUST READ IT DO WHAT YOU'RE TOLD NORMAN

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Barry Foster posted:

Woof

Great film but now I need to watch some Witcher or something idiotic and escapist because I've just endured a two hour dose of brutally reflected reality delivered directly into my face

I enjoyed it too - hard to believe it was written pre-COVID as it feels perfect for that.

Just watched “Being The Ricardos” with my parents - I was expecting to just watch it in the background on my laptop but was fixed despite not knowing anything about I Love Lucy. Kidman is fantastic, as are Tony Hale and Alia Shawkat (Buster Bluth and Maeby).

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

kingturnip posted:

Given how fanatically defensive media types get when you start quoting their own articles/columns/dribblings back at them, it's dark days in Westminster if they're now doing it themselves.

Dude opens his incredibly racist novel with his self insert Donald Ducking it with tops and no bottoms in bed with an erection and his child sat on top of him with a toy gun pointed at his head and somehow it was never brought up during the election.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

Woof

It was the Iron Sky sequel that the 2020s needed.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Don't doxx me.

Well I had to read the comments to get the hidden meaning in that clip. Yewww

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 27, 2021

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

seeing posts with footnotes itt remains an absolute trip

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I have a pet theory that twisto is secretly Terry Pratchett's much more boring illegitimate kid.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I've been watching a lot of films for BAFTA voting. Standouts so far:

Petite Maman

Then everything else.

Notable second places include: (in no particular order)
Green Knight
CODA
Compartment No 6
Licorice Pizza
C'mon C'mon
Hope (Norwegian film)
Belfast (although the ending is a bit pat)
Sabaya
First Cow

West Side Story was disappointingly lifeless and lacklustre.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

therattle posted:

I've been watching a lot of films for BAFTA voting. Standouts so far:

Petite Maman

Then everything else.

Notable second places include: (in no particular order)
Green Knight
CODA
Compartment No 6
Licorice Pizza
C'mon C'mon
Hope (Norwegian film)
Belfast (although the ending is a bit pat)
Sabaya
First Cow

West Side Story was disappointingly lifeless and lacklustre.

Have you seen the original West Side Story? How did it compare? It's one of the few musicals I find bearable.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
you can't watch the west side story remake without watching the cats movie

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Woof

It owned and now I need a hug.

Half the negative reviews are cowards complaining it was too bleak, the other half are the exact people it's parodying.

There are a lot of unfavourable comparisons to Dr Strangelove, complaining that Don't Look Up lacked the sublty of good satire. And I keep thinking - was mineshaft gap subtle? Was "I don't shun women, but I do deny them my essence" subtle? Both films are an exasperated howl at how loving stupid the situation is, gently caress being subtle.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I'm an extremely lazy writer who can't be arsed organically integrating what would normally be an aside in a conversation into the body of the text in a way that would be readable, and also spent way too much time on Usenet where long, tangential and possibly completely unrelated footnotes was basically house style.

Miftan posted:

I have a pet theory that twisto is secretly Terry Pratchett's much more boring illegitimate kid.

GENETICS DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! GOODNIGHT!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Petite Maman was incredibly lovely.

Being the Ricardo's was very Sorkiny but very good, since Sorkin was actually writing within his area of expertise, and the only dodgy politics really was Desi Arnaz ranting about Communists, but he was a Cuban ex-pat gusano so that tracks.

Don't look Up was Network x Dr Strangelove x An Inconvenient Truth, and I think from that you can figure out if you'll like it or not - I did. (E: I see I've been beaten to this comparison but yeah)

West Side Story was very impressive in terms of music and choreography and staging, and Rita Moreno, Riff and Anita were all great, but basically I hate Romeo&Juliet style "unearned romance" so those sections were always gonna leave me eyerolling. Spielberg can still do cinema tho

My BAFTA voting friends are all about Power Of The Dog

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Half the negative reviews are cowards complaining it was too bleak, the other half are the exact people it's parodying.

I watched it with my covid and climate change denying father, and he was hooting and hollering, howling laughter at all the idiots the film was making fun of, fully identifying with the smart astronomers and laughing at the right wingers and capitalists and crooks and conspiracy theorists, saying "this is exactly how it would go down if it ever happened" like it isn't loving happening right now and he isn't a part of why it is happening

My brother and I had to have a debrief afterwards, it was so surreal. Like, who the gently caress he does he think he is in this situation? Bugfuck crazy.

E sorry I go on about him a lot but it's hard when I'm home

E E I know who I am tho, I used to be Jennifer Lawrence but now I'm actively turning into Timothee Chalamet's character lol

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 27, 2021

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

On welcome-stick chat, I’ve mentioned before my door-machete, bed-sword and stairs-flail that I used to have on standby at my place in London.

Housemate once got chased home by some Irish guys armed with a pickaxe- god knows why. He got the door open and grabbed the machete, while I came storming down the stairs dressed only in my pants and spinning a very spiky ball on the end of a chain and 2’ wooden shaft around my head. I’ve never seen the fight go out of someone so fast..

Now I live in the country I have an air rifle by my office window to bag any wandering rabbits or pheasants for the pot and that’s about it.

…or is it?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i'm vegetarian but i'd cave in any oval office's skull who tried anythin sinister like

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

Petite Maman was incredibly lovely.

Being the Ricardo's was very Sorkiny but very good, since Sorkin was actually writing within his area of expertise, and the only dodgy politics really was Desi Arnaz ranting about Communists, but he was a Cuban ex-pat gusano so that tracks.

Don't look Up was Network x Dr Strangelove x An Inconvenient Truth, and I think from that you can figure out if you'll like it or not - I did. (E: I see I've been beaten to this comparison but yeah)

West Side Story was very impressive in terms of music and choreography and staging, and Rita Moreno, Riff and Anita were all great, but basically I hate Romeo&Juliet style "unearned romance" so those sections were always gonna leave me eyerolling. Spielberg can still do cinema tho

My BAFTA voting friends are all about Power Of The Dog

I really want to see Power of the Dog; it’s high on the list. My god, I LOVED Petite Maman. Every element of it.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Have you seen the original West Side Story? How did it compare? It's one of the few musicals I find bearable.

I have. It has more energy and life to it. We watched an hour of the new one then went to bed (we often split longer films over two nights) and then didn’t return to it. This new version feels expensive, highly planned, and sterile.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Borrovan posted:

Realtalk almost all burglaries are either desperation, opportunism or professional gangs who will never hit an occupied house because that's dumb. You can't defend against the latter two, and the first one is gonna be somebody terrified & probably armed, the only time burglaries turn into murders is when someone tries to stop them from escaping so the best defence is to very loudly make it clear that they can just hop over the back fence into an alley & nobody will see them, it's fine

This is the real truth. Burglars are not looking for a fight. If you show absolutely any resistance and give them a clear escape route, you’re good. That said, I’d always like to have something heavy in my hand just in case. The sort of people robbing occupied gaffs are unpredictable, speaking as someone who knows some of them.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
human, i mean, if a cow broke into my house, even an angry one i'd just usher it back to pasture i think

they can't make decisions the poor big friggers

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I'm probably going to make myself very unpopular round here but I find all this Household Weapons chat pretty depressing

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
they can't get up stairs anyway, you'd only be in real diffs if you were in your bed in a bungalow, i suppose

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It owned and now I need a hug.

There are a lot of unfavourable comparisons to Dr Strangelove, complaining that Don't Look Up lacked the sublty of good satire. And I keep thinking - was mineshaft gap subtle? Was "I don't shun women, but I do deny them my essence" subtle? Both films are an exasperated howl at how loving stupid the situation is, gently caress being subtle.

Also part of the message of the film is “even when you’re being as obvious as you physically can, it still doesn’t cut through”.

I have a couple of ice axes in the chest of drawers by my bed (with the rest of my hiking stuff!) which I’d try to swing menacingly while I piss myself in fear.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

I'm probably going to make myself very unpopular round here but I find all this Household Weapons chat pretty depressing

it feels like it's right out of MailOnline comments to me

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

I always bring my Lethal Fists to bed with me

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i'm afraid i lost faith in humanity the day i came home and found all the plants i'd done my garden out nice with nicked out of the ground

just cause you're a decent person doesn't mean there aren't people eyin up the eye in your head, for to steal it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah it's all getting a bit 2A-ey.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

crispix posted:

human, i mean, if a cow broke into my house, even an angry one i'd just usher it back to pasture i think

they can't make decisions the poor big friggers

Actually had a cow break into my parent’s French house (well, the inner courtyard of it anyway) a few years back after it wandered off from a herd going through the village. It ate like half of my dad’s fig tree and did a massive poop outside the front door before we were able to herd it away.

I always forget just how big cows are. Especially when seen outside of the normal ‘in a field’ context.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I technically have a sword rack but I think they would break if I tried to hit anything with them, and they're obviously not sharp, I got them on clearance from some home decoration place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
cows are incredibly inquisitive too, i once stood juggling a few conkers at a gate and the whole field of them crowded round to watch