Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

This bit of DG sending non-English speaking wrestlers to gently caress with Jae on the English booth is very good chaos for the final Korakuen show of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Oh God that is a spicy turn of events.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Doi announced he's forming a new unit, and he needs to fill it with young hot boys. He tried to recruit Minoura but Minoura turned him down until at least after Final Gate. 2022 is gonna be jam-packed with stuff.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dimebags Brain posted:

Doi announced he's forming a new unit, and he needs to fill it with young hot boys. He tried to recruit Minoura but Minoura turned him down until at least after Final Gate. 2022 is gonna be jam-packed with stuff.

Doi better bring in Kota & Jason as a package, the fucker.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

This bit of DG sending non-English speaking wrestlers to gently caress with Jae on the English booth is very good chaos for the final Korakuen show of the year.

Holy poo poo you're not kidding, Shachi is hilarious. Also I don't think I expected him to sound quite this...Tom Waits level of grizzled

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

My Guy of the new crop of kids is Ryu Fuda. Love me some kick boy. Really enjoyed them being beaten up by the oldies.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I’m amazed they already got kids young enough to be inspired be Keisuke Okuda matches.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

I’m amazed they already got kids young enough to be inspired be Keisuke Okuda matches.

Oh christ, you're right. That's disgusting

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I looked up Okuda's MMA record and... oh.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

Holy poo poo you're not kidding, Shachi is hilarious. Also I don't think I expected him to sound quite this...Tom Waits level of grizzled
Crushed vocal chords, apparently. Not sure how it happened but it's a similar condition as Honma.

Catching up on the Korakuen show. I'd like Masquerade to stay a unit, but someone's got to go and it's probably Shun. This might be my angle of the year. I love how the three of them are all :rolleyes::haw::mad: about the Triangle Gate win.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 16, 2021

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How long do DG units last on average? RED seems to be really old (and people are expecting it to implode very soon), but I didn't expect Masquerade's problems to be reaching a boiling point so soon. The Shun/Minoura match stip only states Shun will leave, but I doubt that Minoura would want to stay if he loses.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Most major ones last maybe 2-3 years, but sometimes you get units like Jimmyz that last several years, or Team Veteran who reunited every few years. Check out the Unit History links at the top of the 2nd OP for a better idea of how long they last. The charts are pretty comprehensive.

There are usually some reshuffles and new guys leaving and joining over time though. RED is in a unique position right now because Eita is literally the only original member left.

Unit Disbands match stips are fairly rare but they're always big events, and the heels usually win (because heel units usually implode instead of being forced to disband).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

How long do DG units last on average? RED seems to be really old (and people are expecting it to implode very soon), but I didn't expect Masquerade's problems to be reaching a boiling point so soon. The Shun/Minoura match stip only states Shun will leave, but I doubt that Minoura would want to stay if he loses.

Well, Jimmyz were around for 5 and a half years, World-1 were together 3 years, but then others have been around as little as 6 months.

https://puroresusystem.fandom.com/wiki/Dragon_Gate_Units has a nice breakdown of all the factions and when they existed at a glance.

The thing with RED is it was basically founded as ANTIAS without Shingo (or T-Hawk or El Lindaman but that's obvious) & ANTIAS was itself more or less a continuation of VerserK. Obviously there's been basically completed turnover, but it does mean the heel faction has been essentially a continuation if the same group since August 2015 with the same red colour scheme. It'll be cool to get some new spin

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

forkboy84 posted:

My Guy of the new crop of kids is Ryu Fuda. Love me some kick boy. Really enjoyed them being beaten up by the oldies.

After watching the Korakuen, I think I'm Team Shoya Sato. He's really got the natural charisma down and his judo experience gives him an interesting style.

I'm into Hayakawa being a tiny speedboi too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

We have our card for Final Gate! Phone posting so just posting tweets

https://twitter.com/DragonGateEN/status/1473070099578101762?t=6bgOyx9m5PzGGkRa-hTHWQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/DragonGateEN/status/1473070101570424836?t=l_6GDYp8WEzPgZdaZPqjDg&s=19

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
From what little I know about Ryukyu Dragon, they're based in Okinawa and have an agreement with Dragongate Future for new prospects, so in return DG puts some of their roster on their shows when they tour Fukuoka and Okinawa.

I'm wondering if either on Final Gate or the year-end show in Kobe, we might see heel Shun & Yoshioka form a new team. Shun was the one who had been getting defensive about Yoshioka when Dia was telling Inferno he knew who he really was, and they haven't addressed that yet.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
What qualifies as a major show with commentary for dragon gate? It sounds fascinating and I love what little lucha and japanese wrestling i've seen (mostly a few NJPW shows and lucha underground). I'm interested in starting, when's the next good place to start?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

A-tier Big Shows with English Commentary:

Dead or Alive (May)
Kobe World Pro-Wrestling Festival (July/August, Biggest show of the year)
Dangerous Gate (September)
Gate of Destiny (October/November)
Final Gate (December)

Then there's the monthly show at Korakuen Hall, usually the first week of every month. These usually get English commentary.

Final Gate is this weekend, and I think the last Korakuen is still on the DG Network if you want to catch that.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Other big-ish shows:
Champion Gate (March) - All belts defended. Sort of kicks off the bulk of the annual PPVs.
King of Gate (May to June) - Annual tournament, with the finals on a bigger card. Winner gets a title shot at Kobe World.
Gate of Origin - A lesser PPV that usually floats between September and November, depending on gaps in the tour dates.

I highly recommend at least a cursory read of my 2nd OP to familiarize yourself with the current factions. I try to keep it updated ASAP. Once you know those, it's WAY easier to identify who everyone else is. There should be at least 1-2 new units forming or reshuffling shortly too. You're kind of getting in at the tail end of a few storylines.

If you want to backtrack a bit, I'd recommend the two night Kobe World event back in July/August and working your way forward. You'll get to see the retirement of Masato Yoshino, and two absolute banger title matches back to back.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Thank you for the information! I'll check it out this weekend if I have the time / watching it live isn't too bad on my schedule. I've already read the second OP (I know, inevitably, I'm going to end up rooting for Masquerade because the aesthetic is cool.)

If I backtrack I'll post about it in here!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Nea posted:

(I know, inevitably, I'm going to end up rooting for Masquerade because the aesthetic is cool.)

Yeaaaah, about that...

(they're feuding with each other right now)

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

aw rip. that's still fine. i just like the masks and what not.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

They are the coolest faction in some time. The look rules, every member is an exciting younger talent, what's not to love?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If Shun gets kicked out and Kota becomes the new leader, and they add a couple new members, they'll be fine. Maybe take in Fuda so they'll have a kickboy. Yosuke would be a really fun addition too.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Minoura is totally going to Doi's unit after this, I can see it.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Looking forward to Doi’s new unit of Hot Bois and also Takashi Yoshida.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

Looking forward to Doi’s new unit of Hot Bois and also Takashi Yoshida.

Don't like what you are trying to imply here about Cyber Kong

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

He’s more of what we call a dilf than a hot boi.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Yoshida went on a date with Maria and for that I will love him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXBANDamhYU

Also he seems very over with the Japanese crowd

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

Yoshida went on a date with Maria and for that I will love him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXBANDamhYU

Also he seems very over with the Japanese crowd

Very wholesome

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Your reminder that The Final Gate 2021 has started. You can watch the first match live on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npYBUldGx2Q

It's the DG version of Dads vs Kids

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Thought that was an excellent show.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i will do anything for anyone who can point me to somewhere that i can rewatch old infinities from 2011-12 blood warriors junction 3 feud. dragon gate network only goes back to 2017 and i have been wanting to relive that time in my life . my PM are open

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Thought that was an excellent show.

Really excited to watch this once I get home from this dumb Christmas traveling. Stupid family keeping me away from wrestling.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Shun you goddamn coward son of a bitch. :argh:

I didn't expect him to be positioned as top heel in 2022, but it really looks like he's going in that direction.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

That motherfucker Shun.

drat, Dragon Gate is normally so conservative in their booking, this December has been a loving wild ride.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 27, 2021

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Jesus, Kai’s chest after the Dream gate match is loving meat. YAMATO chopped the poo poo out of him.

https://www.instagram.com/kai_sakai_atsushi/p/CX9_VAcvF94/?utm_medium=copy_link

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

Jesus, Kai’s chest after the Dream gate match is loving meat. YAMATO chopped the poo poo out of him.

https://www.instagram.com/kai_sakai_atsushi/p/CX9_VAcvF94/?utm_medium=copy_link

Yeah, this rules.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ryo Saito is a motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/dg_jae/status/1475783884109672454?s=20