Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

escape mechanism posted:

I can see that about Il Mheg, but Mor Dhona is such a nightmare of bad crystal textures and confusing navigation it's hard to see it in Lakeland

Lakeland is what Mor Dhona probably would have looked like before it became a crystal hellscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

escape mechanism posted:

I can see that about Il Mheg, but Mor Dhona is such a nightmare of bad crystal textures and confusing navigation it's hard to see it in Lakeland

It's more obvious in the 1.0 cinematic, when the area around Lake Silvertear was lush and healthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg6yutR3AG0

Lakeland being lush but purple is a bit of a synthesis of the eastern and western halves of current Mor Dhona.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

escape mechanism posted:

It's a different part of Mor Dhona, too. We're on the west side of the tower instead of the east side.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's not like a 1:1 with Lakeland at all but it might help visualization of space to see what 1.0's Mor Dhona looked like outside of cinematics, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cl2E0tJdLg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKUynGGV7Dk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c7Y1FviUxM

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

People talk about these starting cutscenes from new-basic FF14 being important later, is that really true or is it just like "hey I remember that" callbacks?

because these 10 minute cutscenes in limsa lominsa are really dragging.

It's mostly the latter, though a few of those cutscenes get recontextualized in a genuinely interesting way. But those are, like, three expacs in. And the important ones I'm pretty sure were unskippable to begin with. You're probably fine with skipping any pre-50 ARR cutscene that doesn't interest you in the first minute, any lost information is something you can pretty quickly gather from context later. Stuff genuinely becomes long-term important after the level 50 8-player dungeons with unskippable cutscenes, even if it doesn't look like it, as that's where the writers had time to actually sit down and plot things out rather than trying to help rush ARR out the door.

There's a thread for new players that's probably a better place to ask newbie questions, as sometimes this thread isn't afraid to toss around unmarked spoilers for stuff outside of the most current expac.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Hogama posted:

It's not like a 1:1 with Lakeland at all but it might help visualization of space to see what 1.0's Mor Dhona looked like outside of cinematics, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cl2E0tJdLg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKUynGGV7Dk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c7Y1FviUxM

I was misremembering my layout. This has the maps for 1.0 and ARR, we have access to less of Mor Dhona in ARR than we do in 1.0.

https://www.ffxivinfo.com/maps/mor-dhona

The fun bit is that there was an open world dungeon on the south side of 1.0's Mor Dhona that was labelled as Xande's Tomb. I'm curious about what happened to that, or if there might have been anything interesting to find there. Maybe we'll go back one day? Maybe not.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Gearhead posted:

It's a different part of Mor Dhona, too. We're on the west side of the tower instead of the east side.

Both zones are west of the crystal tower. I believe The Ostall Imperative is roughly where Revenant's Toll is, and the most western part where the tangle and castrum would be are cut off. Instead the area on the northern shore of the lake is expanded greatly rather than just being a big pit.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Gearhead posted:

I was misremembering my layout. This has the maps for 1.0 and ARR, we have access to less of Mor Dhona in ARR than we do in 1.0.

https://www.ffxivinfo.com/maps/mor-dhona

The fun bit is that there was an open world dungeon on the south side of 1.0's Mor Dhona that was labelled as Xande's Tomb. I'm curious about what happened to that, or if there might have been anything interesting to find there. Maybe we'll go back one day? Maybe not.

https://youtu.be/r87PZIhZ_vY

Likely it’s where the Crystal Tower is now and thus it was destroyed in the calamity when it re-emerged.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Gruckles posted:

Both zones are west of the crystal tower. I believe The Ostall Imperative is roughly where Revenant's Toll is, and the most western part where the tangle and castrum would be are cut off. Instead the area on the northern shore of the lake is expanded greatly rather than just being a big pit.

I somehow got turned around. The Source is further south than Silvertear Lake is, but the collision of the Agrius with the surface may have just flatout moved the lake north.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I leveled my DNC to 90 using the MSQ. Now I'm playing SMN at 81 and it rules. What's the fastest way to level right now? Just running dungeons?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Barreft posted:

I leveled my DNC to 90 using the MSQ. Now I'm playing SMN at 81 and it rules. What's the fastest way to level right now? Just running dungeons?

FATE trains, unused daily roulettes and your highest level dungeon, basically.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Roulettes and fates seem pretty good.

Dancer at 90 does indeed rock.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Barreft posted:

Your highest level dungeon pumps out absurd EXP now at 81+. If you've got the company EXP action, food, and the armoury bonus, you can clear out a level in 2-3 runs of a dungeon tops.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I just finished getting reaper to 90, and I have a new favorite melee DPS. Their kit comes together beautifully, super fun to play, though I wish they'd tone down the skill effects a little.

Now I'm working on dark knight, and I didn't realize how much I missed fast queues. No time for sidequests, I can just plow through roulettes and dungeons.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I am also levelling dark knight. Currently 84 and while I maligned this job back in shb, I am having a great time with it now and I am not quite sure why. Best guess is having delierium tones down to 3 charges and being usable more often, it's the only real change. Actually liking it more than gnb right now, which I got to 90. Might just be that gnb felt kinda weak damage-wise while levelling and drk does not.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Also is there any kind of Boss Mods for this? I'm running dungeons but goddamn if I can remember all these after the years, I'm getting stomped at spots cause I dunno where to run to at times.

I have Dalamud, if this is a no no question just PM me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Barreft posted:

Also is there any kind of Boss Mods for this? I'm running dungeons but goddamn if I can remember all these after the years, I'm getting stomped at spots cause I dunno where to run to at times.

Just watch a video of a fight and get the same experience.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Vermain posted:

Your highest level dungeon pumps out absurd EXP now at 81+. If you've got the company EXP action, food, and the armoury bonus, you can clear out a level in 2-3 runs of a dungeon tops.

k so at lvl 81 it looks like Tower of Zot?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Just watch a video of a fight and get the same experience.

I can't do that when I'm running randoms

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Barreft posted:

If you reaalllyyy want you can install ACT and Cactbot to do callouts for you, but thats kind of overkill for just dungeon content.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Xun posted:

If you reaalllyyy want you can install ACT and Cactbot to do callouts for you, but thats kind of overkill for just dungeon content.

k I'll ignore for now. I just play very stoned so I'm kinda laggin and I feel bad for all the rezzes I get cause I'm one shotted out of nowhere

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Failboattootoot posted:

I am also levelling dark knight. Currently 84 and while I maligned this job back in shb, I am having a great time with it now and I am not quite sure why. Best guess is having delierium tones down to 3 charges and being usable more often, it's the only real change. Actually liking it more than gnb right now, which I got to 90. Might just be that gnb felt kinda weak damage-wise while levelling and drk does not.

Yeah, the delirium change is surprisingly nice. It makes the class feel more active, you're not waiting on as many long timers, and you don't have to frantically get in hits in two buff windows, just one.

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
You know that Rydia top from the new tomestone gear? It is super fun to glam with.

Did some classic-inspired outfits. Tellah (caster), Rosa (AST), and Strago (healer).

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Question about sage dps, should I focus more on keeping shields up to generate toxicon stacks or just spam dosis?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Question about sage dps, should I focus more on keeping shields up to generate toxicon stacks or just spam dosis?

Toxikon is just a movement tool, you don't need to go out of your way to generate it for ordinary dpsing

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Putting on a shield to gain a toxion is 2 gcds, for the same amount of damage as a dosis.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 27, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Putting on a shield to gain a toxion is 2 gcds, for the same amount of damage as a dosis.

Less damage than a Dosis.

Edit: Honestly I wish Toxicon were actually cool and fun to use instead of like a consolation prize for wasting a GCD on healing. A prize that's not even worth casting except while moving.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 27, 2021

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Man, just had a Stigma Dreamscape run with me a DRK, Whm, Rpr and Smn. on the first pull the healer started running toward the next pack so I thought sure why not, but my god, poo poo just died so fast! really good run.

Also its probably just confirmation bias but I did this after reslotting tenacity materia and I felt pretty invincible, but it was probably the Whm's doing. I tend to feel much more comfortable with Whms.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the two post-msq level 90 dungeons are pretty toothless. The double pulls are fine even with an incompetent healer (or an incompetent tank if the healer if on top of things) so you should feel free to just always go for it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
You should always be going for it anyway. Worst case scenario is that you die and learn your healer is bad so you can stop doing it for the rest of the dungeon.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Something I found kind of odd about the final zone of Endwalker. Or, perhaps not odd, but a little unusual, I suppose?

The introduction to the dragon planet showing them as victims of unprovoked conflict painted them in a sympathetic light. But then we seem to just ignore the dragons altogether and become friends with the race that destroyed their home world! I'm not saying we should just write the Omicrons off as evil, but it was a little unusual that we were just palling around with them. Then again, dragons are notoriously stubborn, as Heavensward showed, so I guess there's no helping them if they say no! And we do at least help curb the Omicrons' violent tendencies. Or attempt to, anyway.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Expert Roulette, amusingly, tends to be anything but difficult.

Clarste posted:

You should always be going for it anyway. Worst case scenario is that you die and learn your healer is bad so you can stop doing it for the rest of the dungeon.

I had to point out to a Sage why they shouldn't wear glam-only statless gear.

The fact that they were a Sage is less important than the fact that they had a Returner icon and thus probably hadn't come back to the game in years.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
in Matoya's Relict I habitually just stood in the aoes as dps so I didn't have to reposition my line aoes. I'm pretty sure you could be hit by all of them and still be fine in most pulls.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

in Matoya's Relict I habitually just stood in the aoes as dps so I didn't have to reposition my line aoes. I'm pretty sure you could be hit by all of them and still be fine in most pulls.

If I was healing that dungeon I'd always tell people to feel free to eat AOEs to maximize uptime, the bosses (mostly) don't do a lot of damage. Recently, for the first time ever I died on the second boss because the DPS was so low it did a mechanic I've never seen it do before. It spawns water spouts that can fling you out of the arena to instant death.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Zeruel posted:

Also its probably just confirmation bias but I did this after reslotting tenacity materia and I felt pretty invincible, but it was probably the Whm's doing. I tend to feel much more comfortable with Whms.

While I'm personally rather a fan of tenacity melds and think it's a reasonable trade off for most tanks outside of bleeding edge savage and parseruns, it's never going to make a huge difference. Swapping all your melds is around 3% less damage taken and more healing increased and a 1% dps loss at current gear levels. Exact numbers depend on how much Ten you have to begin with, etc.

Also given that a good WHM will intentionally let you drop below 20% hp every 3 minutes you, uh, may come to change your mind on that job ranking in time. I guess it's safer than a good AST doing the same every 40 seconds, to be fair.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 27, 2021

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Clarste posted:

Less damage than a Dosis.

Edit: Honestly I wish Toxicon were actually cool and fun to use instead of like a consolation prize for wasting a GCD on healing. A prize that's not even worth casting except while moving.

They're both 330 potency on a single target at max level.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Thanks, I'll mostly ignore addersting stacks then

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

For single target don't even bother about generating addersting. It's a total dps loss compared to dosis unless you actually need the healing (and you have a lot better OGCD options for that anyway).

For trash packs though, you can put shields on the tank while they're pulling, and usually have 3 addersting when you reach a wall. In that case toxicon is way better dps than dyskrasia.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hommando posted:

If I was healing that dungeon I'd always tell people to feel free to eat AOEs to maximize uptime, the bosses (mostly) don't do a lot of damage. Recently, for the first time ever I died on the second boss because the DPS was so low it did a mechanic I've never seen it do before. It spawns water spouts that can fling you out of the arena to instant death.

What? I didn't even see that on launch day. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hommando posted:

S.J. posted:

What? I didn't even see that on launch day. Wow.
I also saw that the other day, with, again, very low DPS. Nobody died in my run, though, it was just weird to see.