Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Pershing posted:

I intend to pray! As the day had gone on I'm more baffled than anything else. Just throw it in the trash for God's sake...

On an unrelated note, can anyone tell me who this is?

The actor's name is Anatoly Solonitsyn, that image is from a 1966 movie called Andrei Rublev (which is the name of the character Solonitsyn is playing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

merry christmas to those who celebrate

while i would personally not return a card, i find it equally "weird" to give christmas cards to people without knowing whether they celebrate it or not, or whether they are christian or not.

please please keep in mind that this time of year can be especially difficult for non-christians living in christian-dominated cultures or societies. especially after the whole "war on christmas" political bullshit has been ramped up in the media over the last few years. it might seem like something easy to laugh off. but for many people, it really really isn't, and even something that seems completely innocuous like a holiday card can be a tipping point for people who've had it up to here.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

The war on Christmas will continue until Christmas stops its illegal occupation of November.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Worthleast posted:

The war on Christmas will continue until Christmas stops its illegal occupation of November.
Aye, they get a few days at the end but the Black Friday Accords must be respected.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Man, if I didn't want a card I'd just put it in the shredder. It's once a year - if it starts becoming a thing on other holy days, that's a different story. (I'm now imagining the neighbour receiving a Blessed Michaelmas card and reaching for a baseball bat.)

Happy Christmas to all who celebrate, hope you had a good day off to all who don't! May your vacations never be so bad that your kid's friends leave two contradictory Yelp reviews about it.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Earwicker posted:

merry christmas to those who celebrate

while i would personally not return a card, i find it equally "weird" to give christmas cards to people without knowing whether they celebrate it or not, or whether they are christian or not.

please please keep in mind that this time of year can be especially difficult for non-christians living in christian-dominated cultures or societies. especially after the whole "war on christmas" political bullshit has been ramped up in the media over the last few years. it might seem like something easy to laugh off. but for many people, it really isn't, and even something that seems completely innocuous like a holiday card can be a tipping point for people who've had it up to here.

I mean, most polls show 97% of American plan on or do celebrate Christmas in either secular or religious form, while <70% of Americans are Christian. My buddy and his family who are pretty average atheists send more Christmas cards out than me. Mostly just an excuse for them to send pictures of their family and how they're doing.

I dunno.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I mean, most polls show 97% of American plan on or do celebrate Christmas in either secular or religious form, while <70% of Americans are Christian. My buddy and his family who are pretty average atheists send more Christmas cards out than me. Mostly just an excuse for them to send pictures of their family and how they're doing.

I dunno.

There's a huge difference between being an atheist who was raised culturally Christian, and growing up in a culture that does not celebrate Christmas but being surrounded by people who simply cannot conceive of not celebrating Christmas. Returning the card is a pretty big move but I understand the sentiment behind it, I'd feel a similar one if it happened to me, although it wouldn't occur to me to return the card and if I did it would probably be with a note explaining the issue.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Could it have been a Jehovah's Witness? They're the only people I know that react that way to Christmas.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Sending Christmas cards to people you don't know is strange to me

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

Sending Christmas cards to people you don't know is strange to me

It’s no different than our BYOB neighbors dropping by.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Just an effort to be friendly to the neighbors, no more no less.

Also, announcing my campaign to bring Sacred Harp singing to the Catholic Church:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98fVjc4MfXQ

Pershing fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 26, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Freudian posted:

Man, if I didn't want a card I'd just put it in the shredder. It's once a year

in most of urban and suburban america, christmas is not one day but a season that begins in november and seems to start earlier every year

i get that to christians, or to atheists who grew up in christian families, a christmas card seems like nothing other than a friendly gesture.

but to some people who were raised in other religions (or some people who have left christianity), it's a reminder of not-belonging at a really tough time of year. for all you know, the day before receiving a card from a stranger, that neighbor could have cheerfully said "happy holidays" to someone only to have "merry christmas" yelled back angrily in their face - believe me, it happens. or it could be someone who works in retail who is sick of the assumption that everyone needs to hear christmas music (and maybe one token song about chanukah) any time they enter a public space.

im from a secular jewish family and we celebrated christmas when i was a kid, and like i said i wouldn't personally return the card. and i know some jews who love christmas. but ive met plenty of people in various jewish communities over the years who absolutely get sick of it at this time of year, and ive met people from other religious backgrounds who feel similarly. and it builds up, especially these days when everything is highly politicized, when anti-semitism and bigotry is on the rise, the whole "war on christmas" mentality feels less and less like a joke.

there are plenty of friendly cards one can send at this time of year that celebrate the general winter/holiday season and aren't specifically about christmas, by the way. but then that might have angered a different neighbor because, again, this poo poo has all become politicized.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 26, 2021

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

That's absolutely fair. I grew up Christian, so it's mostly background noise at this point, but as you said that I considered the scenario of every single well-intentioned household on your street delivering a Christmas card. By card 25 I think I'd be feeling particularly unecumenical.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Christ is Born!

Currently going to town on a pot of lamb pelmeni. Been looking forward to it all Advent.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Earwicker posted:

in most of urban and suburban america, christmas is not one day but a season that begins in november and seems to start earlier every year

i get that to christians, or to atheists who grew up in christian families, a christmas card seems like nothing other than a friendly gesture.

but to some people who were raised in other religions (or some people who have left christianity), it's a reminder of not-belonging at a really tough time of year. for all you know, the day before receiving a card from a stranger, that neighbor could have cheerfully said "happy holidays" to someone only to have "merry christmas" yelled back angrily in their face - believe me, it happens. or it could be someone who works in retail who is sick of the assumption that everyone needs to hear christmas music (and maybe one token song about chanukah) any time they enter a public space.

im from a secular jewish family and we celebrated christmas when i was a kid, and like i said i wouldn't personally return the card. and i know some jews who love christmas. but ive met plenty of people in various jewish communities over the years who absolutely get sick of it at this time of year, and ive met people from other religious backgrounds who feel similarly. and it builds up, especially these days when everything is highly politicized, when anti-semitism and bigotry is on the rise, the whole "war on christmas" mentality feels less and less like a joke.

there are plenty of friendly cards one can send at this time of year that celebrate the general winter/holiday season and aren't specifically about christmas, by the way. but then that might have angered a different neighbor because, again, this poo poo has all become politicized.

I've come to hate it as a cultural Catholic because American Christmas is a two month-long investor holiday to get retailers over their Q4 projections. Hence why it is sneaking closer to Halloween, and why they were stocking Valentines' candy at the store when I stopped in today to pick up bread.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Dont even get me started on that poo poo.

Merry Christmas to my fellow Christgoons, happy winter...solstice? Day? Some other random day of the year? to my other religiongoon friends!

Attended my first ever church service on Christmas Eve, met my first camel at the petting zoo (they are quite large, was not picturing a hump higher than my head). Was amazing, they synchronized performances between the six campuses so we could show our kids the gist of it yesterday on YouTube since only the main campus broadcasts. They loved the ballet and the awesome rendition of Little Drummer Boy :3: Would definitely confirm as life changing and want to go all the time now :v:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My friends and I for the past, God, 14 years? Have chosen to go the soviet route and replace Christmas wholesale with New Years and it does feel more significant to me to end the year and start a new one with the people who are important to me and also affirm how they're important to me with a gift. 14 years ago puts us solidly in middle school and while the cast of characters has changed a little I'm extremely grateful for them and this tradition

I also note the solstice bc something about marking the passage of time with the actual relationship between the earth and sun feels right but this is not unique to winter

Christmas is for barely tolerating family and feeling existential dread at the amount of trash capitalism is capable of producing

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 27, 2021

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I try my best to keep my Advent and Christmas traditions separate. Other than fasting and almsgiving, we don’t decorate the tree or play carols until close to a week before Christmas. I actually envy some of my Old Calendar friends because for them Christmas is a completely religious affair divorced from the most undesirable traits of modern American Christmas.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

D34THROW posted:

Dont even get me started on that poo poo.

Merry Christmas to my fellow Christgoons, happy winter...solstice? Day? Some other random day of the year? to my other religiongoon friends!

Attended my first ever church service on Christmas Eve, met my first camel at the petting zoo (they are quite large, was not picturing a hump higher than my head). Was amazing, they synchronized performances between the six campuses so we could show our kids the gist of it yesterday on YouTube since only the main campus broadcasts. They loved the ballet and the awesome rendition of Little Drummer Boy :3: Would definitely confirm as life changing and want to go all the time now :v:

camels compete with geese for biggest assholes in the animal kingdom

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I grew up poor. Really poor. My childhood December was a month where you saved and scrimped. Anything you could go without, you went without! Food was sparse and extremely simple. Granny made it VERY clear she did not allow a single decoration to go up until the 20th of December.

However, once Christmas arrived, she would use all the saved up money on food and drink. Trays with seven different types of home made biscuits. Heaps of exotic fruit and nuts. Candy. Sliced turkey breast, with creamy gravy, honey glace vegetables, roast potatoes. Red wine, but NO ONE got to drink more than 2 glasses, EVER! Home made puddings, decorated with berries. There was a lot of love in those meals!

There were few, if any, gifts. Maybe some very, very needed clothing, or some school supplies.

So to me, the whole SPEND!!!! type Christmas feels alien. I honestly do not get it? Aren't you sick of Christmas stuff long before the holiday even starts? At the time I didn't really feel that I was missing out much. I had to be an adult with nieces and nephews before I started thinking Christmas = gifts?

These days, the whole "Holiday Season" is a time of extreme loneliness and utter depression for me. Pretending by making something special for myself only makes it worse, because I feel so utterly pathetic when doing so.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Please keep my father and paternal stepgrandmother in your prayers, my papoo passed this afternoon. I posted in E/N but long story short I've been an awful grandson. I haven't talked to him in nearly a decade despite meaning to and having the means to. :sigh:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

D34THROW posted:

Please keep my father and paternal stepgrandmother in your prayers, my papoo passed this afternoon. I posted in E/N but long story short I've been an awful grandson. I haven't talked to him in nearly a decade despite meaning to and having the means to. :sigh:

Sorry to hear it, and to learn of your regrets for not reaching out. You were not awful, you were just human. Hopefully you can find good memories to cherish.

RE Christmas chat: both my partner and I are agnostics, she raised Catholic me American Evangelical. This season for us is an excuse to turn on all of the colorful lights we keep strung about the place. We do try to give each other meaningful gifts, if inexpensive since we try to live life in the now, and I relate with OP for whom gifts are incomprehensible since we both came from similar modest means.

We will even occasionally drink too much and surf digital cable for masses held variously around the world. Although not religious personally I cannot deny the meaning others find, and the sometimes profound insights that can arise from meditating on the human condition at this time, the birth of a child of refugees. One year I was in Paris and saw the nativity told simply, with a programmed series of lights that would sequentially illuminate relevant carvings in the wooden choir at Notre Dame. This modern take on a medieval pictorial story telling left me feeling strongly identifying with countless generations that came before me that witnessed the same thing in different times. That, to me, was extremely meaningful.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
https://www.ncronline.org/news/culture/catholic-diocese-values-internet-hierarchy-over-religious-expertise

Reading this article today made me, once again, super appreciative of the discussion climate round these parts. Happy new year goons!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

https://twitter.com/Sharp_Sticks/status/1477056062650040333

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Tibetan Silly Hat game on fleek:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Tibetan Silly Hat game on fleek:

A powerful showing from our Tibetan brothers...

The traditional hat if you're doing the kaihougyou 1000-day walk around Mount Hiei. (You can only wear it if it's raining up to day 300. After that, full time.)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

if you dont hae a basket on your head dont talk to me

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

if you dont hae a basket on your head dont talk to me

I thought the flute was a baseball bat at first.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Worthleast posted:

I thought the flute was a baseball bat at first.

real nice place ya got here. it'd be a shame if it were all impermanent.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Ah, Fuke-shū with a shukihachi, right? I thought those guys were extinct.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

komuso still exist but they're basically just historical reenactors.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I normally like the guy well enough as a non-catholic but this is very annoying to me:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/05/europe/pope-dogs-cats-kids-intl/index.html

I can afford to have cats, I can't afford to feed and clothe children.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

TOOT BOOT posted:

I normally like the guy well enough as a non-catholic but this is very annoying to me:

I understand where you're coming from, but consider this:

An estimated 153 million kids are orphans. Still more grow up in abject poverty with loving parents. I don't know your situation, but as an unemployed person in Denmark, I have a bigger disposable income than folks in many countries have for kids. So many more grow up in material wealth, but abused horribly by unfit parents. My parents have mental health and alcoholism issues, and the neglect I suffered affects me profoundly, even though I almost never lacked for material resources.

disclaimer: I would never force kids on anyone, and have yet to pick up the mantle myself - but not because I can't afford it, or don't have the room, in those respects I think a child would adapt.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Tbh, I'm in the same boat. I'd only want to have children if I can provide a decent quality of life for them. I can't, because this economy is awful and providing for children is ridiculously expensive.

https://i.imgur.com/BPQF5yy.mp4

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
There is not a single day that I am not extremely grateful for NOT having children. If I had gotten pregnant, there is no way I would have escaped my abusive marriage. Even if I had been able to run away WITH a child (highly unlikely) any kind of custody battle would most probably have ended with me dead, my ex in prison, and the child....???? Given to my abusive ex-mother-in-law is most likely scenario. Again, not a day goes by that I do not earnestly thank God for NOT having children.

I do miss having a cat or two. I am extremely lonely, and isolated. Cats would probably help my sanity. A child would not.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I think that what the Holy Father is getting at here is that people who have the resources to have children and desire to have something to care for should indeed have children instead of just contenting themselves with pets. It's more "don't waste the opportunity to raise up good people". It is also certainly not "get rid of your pets", as some commentators have tried to make it out.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I think that what the Holy Father is getting at here is that people who have the resources to have children and desire to have something to care for should indeed have children instead of just contenting themselves with pets.

This is a false equivalence IMO. Having pets is NOTHING like having children and if people are content having pets that doesn't mean they would ALSO be content having children.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's quite a few people who use pets as child substitutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

People who don't want children (for whatever reason) feeling obliged to have them (for whatever reason) feels like a recipe for unhappy families to me.