Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Poil posted:

Can you put a paralyze rune in a wall of fire?

The passive buffs like protection against magic and a small boost to magicka regen respectively are pretty good in my opinion.

You don't need too since you can just rain down hellfire now. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

hist posess a deadra-like level of care for their followers and made a backroom deal with the tribunal. that's why as soon as the reclamations are back the argonians are suddenly capable of invading morowind and driving telvanni and dres to near extinction

Actually that's another point. Why were the Argonians able to take out the Telvanni, who forced the Tribunal at their height to put up with them openly mocking their religion due to them being so powerful, yet are also defeated by the Redoran who had no real reason to even still exist after everything that happened?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Whorelord posted:

Actually that's another point. Why were the Argonians able to take out the Telvanni, who forced the Tribunal at their height to put up with them openly mocking their religion due to them being so powerful, yet are also defeated by the Redoran who had no real reason to even still exist after everything that happened?

Trust the plan hisssss.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Whorelord posted:

Wizards can only cast spells if you don't stab them in the throat before they know you're there. They're also notoriously selfish, short sighted, and out of touch. They likely didn't come together to fight the Argonians off and instead just stayed in their towers to be picked off one by one.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The dunmer weren't an existential threat to the hist trees, the Dagonite oblivion invasion was. So you didnt get slaxheel super soldiers during the hundreds of years of Dres slavery. As soon as some pissant Daedra stepped out of a gate brought to you by the daedric letter O and shouted "For lord Dagon!" you had a thousand Captain Black Marshes jumping out of the (potentially literal) woodwork.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 27, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there an anti-hist of some sort? Perhaps located in a mine?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

it's usually in drugstores, brand names include benadryl and zyrtec

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

To the best of my knowledge, the eldergleam isn't a hist, but the Sleeping Tree is.

I assume you're referring to nettlebane.

D'oh, anti hist mine.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

A.o.D. posted:

The dunmer weren't an existential threat to the hist trees, the Dagonite oblivion invasion was. So you didnt get slaxheel super soldiers during the hundreds of years of Dres slavery. As soon as some pissant Daedra stepped out of a gate brought to you by the daedric letter O and shouted "For lord Dagon!" you had a thousand Captain Black Marshes jumping out of the (potentially literal) woodwork.

That or the whole thing is propaganda spread by the lizard Khmer Rouge in charge of Black Marsh now.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Whorelord posted:

because telvanni live in mushrooms which also grow in swamps where argonians are from duh.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Whorelord posted:

That or the whole thing is propaganda spread by the lizard Khmer Rouge in charge of Black Marsh now.

I absolutely want to know what the "glasses" equivalent is now.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I always assumed the Argonian invasion only happened because the Dunmer got smacked by the double whammy of the Oblivion crisis and then Red Mountain erupting, so they were especially vulnerable. But maybe that timeline is wrong!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

nice

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Whorelord posted:

The lore just works

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Wolfsheim posted:

I always assumed the Argonian invasion only happened because the Dunmer got smacked by the double whammy of the Oblivion crisis and then Red Mountain erupting, so they were especially vulnerable. But maybe that timeline is wrong!

Not to mention the Tribunal weakening causing that moon/meteor to hit Morrowind, though I can’t remember if that was the catalyst for the Red Year or a separate event. Like Morrowind had a full on cataclysmic event that the Argonians took advantage of. They didn’t over power the Dunmer. They just cleaned up the leftovers.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
If I'm remembering my lore right, it goes

1. Get absolutely hosed during the Oblivion Crisis. Telvani were useless and just animated a giant dead mudcrab (didn't work), Hllalu found they cannot buy off Daedra, and Redoran did basically everything by themselves after they finally managed to gather their forces after the sneak attack. They were at best able to hold them off and break even, but would have absolutely died if Martin hadn't sacrificed himself.

2. Vivec peaces out without explanation. He doesn't bother to fix the meteor trap he set up before he left, so time begins for it and it crashes into the Red Mountain, setting off the single largest and most powerful volcano in all of Tamriel. Hundreds of people are incinerated instantly, thousands more and smothered in ash. Telvani does nothing because cleaning up would be tedious. Hllalu cannot pay off a volcano either. Redoran, once again, does all the heavy lifting of cleaning and moving medical supplies.

3. Black Marsh, still high on the joy of eating a few hundred Daedra by sneak attacking their sneak attack, look across the border and see their ancestral nemesis burning alive. They grab their spears and go on a revenge spree while their still scattered. They take most of south Morrowind, including Vivec City, which is why the Dunmer have a new capital by Skyrim. The Telvani, yet again, do nothing. Doing something would mean caring about something other than their research. I imagine most of them didn't even know it was happening. Capitalism doesn't work on an army of mini Godzillas, so Hllalu is one again screwed. House Redoran, once more, fights off the Argonians basically alone. They don't get rid of them entirely, but they do take a few miles back.

And that's why Redoran is basically the de facto head House now, Telvani wizards are just kind of wherever, and Hllalu is down to some lovely farm in the frozen rear end in a top hat of Skyrim.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Flytrap posted:

If I'm remembering my lore right, it goes

1. Get absolutely hosed during the Oblivion Crisis. Telvani were useless and just animated a giant dead mudcrab (didn't work), Hllalu found they cannot buy off Daedra, and Redoran did basically everything by themselves after they finally managed to gather their forces after the sneak attack. They were at best able to hold them off and break even, but would have absolutely died if Martin hadn't sacrificed himself.

2. Vivec peaces out without explanation. He doesn't bother to fix the meteor trap he set up before he left, so time begins for it and it crashes into the Red Mountain, setting off the single largest and most powerful volcano in all of Tamriel. Hundreds of people are incinerated instantly, thousands more and smothered in ash. Telvani does nothing because cleaning up would be tedious. Hllalu cannot pay off a volcano either. Redoran, once again, does all the heavy lifting of cleaning and moving medical supplies.

3. Black Marsh, still high on the joy of eating a few hundred Daedra by sneak attacking their sneak attack, look across the border and see their ancestral nemesis burning alive. They grab their spears and go on a revenge spree while their still scattered. They take most of south Morrowind, including Vivec City, which is why the Dunmer have a new capital by Skyrim. The Telvani, yet again, do nothing. Doing something would mean caring about something other than their research. I imagine most of them didn't even know it was happening. Capitalism doesn't work on an army of mini Godzillas, so Hllalu is one again screwed. House Redoran, once more, fights off the Argonians basically alone. They don't get rid of them entirely, but they do take a few miles back.

And that's why Redoran is basically the de facto head House now, Telvani wizards are just kind of wherever, and Hllalu is down to some lovely farm in the frozen rear end in a top hat of Skyrim.

I'm pretty sure the Telvanni noticed the Argonian invasion, they targeted them specifically along with House Dres. Like by the time of Skyrim there's one, maybe two, direct Telvanni heirs left.

And yet they still came out of all that mess better than Hlaalu, collaborators with an Empire that no longer exists :lol:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Hlaalu isn’t a house anymore. Morrowind got pissed at how pro imperial they were and stripped them of titles

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's probably also Canon that the Nerevarine exposed Dren as being in league with the sixth house, and that whole scheme represented the hard edge of House Hlaluu.

Also, the Neverarine also had to mysteriously peace out during the Oblivion crisis because otherwise players would ask why the PC who routinely mugged Dremora for their weapons wasn't dealing with everything happening there. I think it was only like 15 years after Morrowind and most PCs would still be quite capable of sorting all that out.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

And that's why House Redoran best house

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's probably also Canon that the Nerevarine exposed Dren as being in league with the sixth house, and that whole scheme represented the hard edge of House Hlaluu.

Also, the Neverarine also had to mysteriously peace out during the Oblivion crisis because otherwise players would ask why the PC who routinely mugged Dremora for their weapons wasn't dealing with everything happening there. I think it was only like 15 years after Morrowind and most PCs would still be quite capable of sorting all that out.

Don't you remember your Oblivion NPC dialogue? The Nerevarine left for a farm upstatean expedition to Akavir never to be seen or heard from again. Which I guess is a slightly better fate than accidentally becoming Sheogorath.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Flytrap posted:

3. Black Marsh, still high on the joy of eating a few hundred Daedra... They take most of south Morrowind, including Vivec City, which is why the Dunmer have a new capital by Skyrim.

I replayed Skyrim last year and and actually tried to see if the new capital, Blacklight, was visible in some way. Nope. You can see Red Mountain but no trace of Blacklight. Though at least Blacklight could exist on Skyrim's map, unlike Online's...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

MH Knights posted:

I replayed Skyrim last year and and actually tried to see if the new capital, Blacklight, was visible in some way. Nope. You can see Red Mountain but no trace of Blacklight. Though at least Blacklight could exist on Skyrim's map, unlike Online's...

Blacklight is canonically built into a crater so it's forgivable since it should be hidden-ish from view.

bigger issue-- since we can get to the morrowind border in skyrim (and I think fort dawnguard is technically in it) at what point does morrowind start being morrowind. Are there mushroom trees and giant insects on the immediate other side of the velothi mountains or does you have to go a bit inland for it to get going?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Wolfsheim posted:

Don't you remember your Oblivion NPC dialogue? The Nerevarine left for a farm upstatean expedition to Akavir never to be seen or heard from again. Which I guess is a slightly better fate than accidentally becoming Sheogorath.

Also I’m pretty sure TLDB’s eventual fate is to replace Miraak as Mora’s main poo poo puppet which isn’t great either.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, departing the continent is what I was talking about, have to get rid of that level 30 PC like Captain Marvel in the MCU.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Also I’m pretty sure TLDB’s eventual fate is to replace Miraak as Mora’s main poo poo puppet which isn’t great either.
That whole DLC was such a disappointment to me; it's called 'Dragonborn' and it's about the first Dragonborn and you're the last Dragonborn and then it turns out it's actually about both of you constantly scraping and bowing and toadying to slow-talking Cthulhu. The shtick where Miraak would randomly show up and steal your dragon kills was nice but other than that it felt misaimed. I expected like, at least 200% more dragons, and possibly 100% more born. 1,000% less daedra libraries.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

look i got like 14 daedra lords who are all convinced i'm going to serve them in the afterlife

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

look i got like 14 daedra lords who are all convinced i'm going to serve them in the afterlife

That's the art of the deal baby! :smugdon:
Anyways Herma-Mora is pretty much the number one demon dad in my book since his artifact in every game is great and he's pretty chill about it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

That's the art of the deal baby! :smugdon:
Anyways Herma-Mora is pretty much the number one demon dad in my book since his artifact in every game is great and he's pretty chill about it.

Like the Simpsons diseases trying to jam through the door I’m pretty sure they end up cancelling each other out

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Like the Simpsons diseases trying to jam through the door I’m pretty sure they end up cancelling each other out

The big theory is because TLDB is basically a Dragon in the body of a Man/Mer, Big Daddy Akatosh would just swoop in and carry it off to whatever form of Afterlife he is responsible for and there wasn’t much else anyone could really do.
Of course, if Mora just traps TLDB in Apocrophya forever and doesn’t let TLDB ever die like Miraak, well…

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The big theory is because TLDB is basically a Dragon in the body of a Man/Mer, Big Daddy Akatosh would just swoop in and carry it off to whatever form of Afterlife he is responsible for and there wasn’t much else anyone could really do.
Of course, if Mora just traps TLDB in Apocrophya forever and doesn’t let TLDB ever die like Miraak, well…
I'm pretty sure this is outright said in the game, isn't it? I think it's said that the Last Dragonborn will go to Sovngarde when he dies.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I do find it hilarious that now in Skyrim you can visit more planes of Oblivion than in the game Oblivion.

Soul Cairn in Dawnguard
Apocrypha in Dragonborn
(sort of) the Shivering Isles in Saints and Seducers
The Deadlands in The Cause

That's at least 3 while in Oblivion I refuse to accept that Boethiath's and Peryite's realms are actually theirs, so that puts you at 2.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

i played as a basic bitch nord warrior trying to do everything since this was my first time in skyrim in years (i last played before special edition came out) i've gotten enough achievements and am bored with that so i'm going to actually roleplay now. what mods beside the unoffical skyrim patch should i use?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

TheLoneStar posted:

I'm pretty sure this is outright said in the game, isn't it? I think it's said that the Last Dragonborn will go to Sovngarde when he dies.

That’s what Tsun says yeah, but funnily enough if you challenge via Trial of Shadow he says “your doom is already bound to your Dark Mistress.” But then again maybe he didn’t realize you are actually Dragonborn until you slay Alduin, which probably does override anything else.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

i played as a basic bitch nord warrior trying to do everything since this was my first time in skyrim in years (i last played before special edition came out) i've gotten enough achievements and am bored with that so i'm going to actually roleplay now. what mods beside the unoffical skyrim patch should i use?

I love the Requiem overhaul for Skyrim, I'd encourage everyone to at least try it. It makes Skyrim more of an immersive sim, it can seem a little punishing at first but it's more that it just plays very differently.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

That’s what Tsun says yeah, but funnily enough if you challenge via Trial of Shadow he says “your doom is already bound to your Dark Mistress.” But then again maybe he didn’t realize you are actually Dragonborn until you slay Alduin, which probably does override anything else.

It's going to be a John Constantine-esque issue of every Daedric Lord and a couple of the Nine fighting over for the Dragonborn. A couple of the Daedric Lords probably don't even really want him, and will just gently caress with the others.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

I'm pretty sure the Telvanni noticed the Argonian invasion, they targeted them specifically along with House Dres. Like by the time of Skyrim there's one, maybe two, direct Telvanni heirs left.

And yet they still came out of all that mess better than Hlaalu, collaborators with an Empire that no longer exists :lol:

Right, I probably should have put more stock in the word of the woman who has to learn in Skyrim of all places and the shopkeep with the tragic shipwrecked backstory of being one of the last of the Telvanni over the guy in the mushroom tower--a man who is very well established as being 90% arrogance by volume--saying "nah man we're cool ain't nobody can gently caress with the Telvanni".

Also I'm pretty sure the DB is just gonna pass out all the spare Dragon souls he's got then gently caress off to Sovngarde.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Everyone posted:

:words:

They should do a Total War elder scrolls spinoff.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Flytrap posted:

Right, I probably should have put more stock in the word of the woman who has to learn in Skyrim of all places and the shopkeep with the tragic shipwrecked backstory of being one of the last of the Telvanni over the guy in the mushroom tower--a man who is very well established as being 90% arrogance by volume--saying "nah man we're cool ain't nobody can gently caress with the Telvanni".

Neloth is the best NPC in TESV, fight me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

DoriDori240 posted:

Neloth is the best NPC in TESV, fight me.

He is, and I love him, and I wish he could be a companion and shittalk everyone and every place we go.