Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Trixie Hardcore posted:

My MIL doesn’t believe in the concept of personal integrity, says without God we’d all immediately go into Purge mode and that the only reason anyone behaves themselves is out of fear of social, legal or divine punishment or expectation of reward, won’t even consider the possibility that some people just care about the well-being of others and don’t enjoy causing harm.

she seems smart, tbh: if the pandemic has demonstrated one thing to me it’s that the vast majority of this country would feed me and my family directly into a wood chipper if it meant they could go to a lovely chain restaurant whenever they want.

I’m sure there are some people that actually give a gently caress about others, but at this point it’s gotta be vanishingly small, and i bet most people who are staying isolated from others are doing it to keep themselves/immediate family safe and that’s it. i doubt anyone has any sweeping desire to keep the anonymous strangers in this world safe, especially after seeing how lots of em are.

I mean I hope like hell I’m a good person, but I’m not really sure. for all I know if I had a guarantee that the people I give a gently caress about wouldn’t be hurt, maybe I’d be out suckin and fuckin.

it’s been 666 long rear end days, so maybe Covid is my god now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

TheDestructinator posted:

any recommendations for getting a boomer parent to upgrade masks? my mom has no problem wearing cloth masks with filters but refuses to wear the n95s or auras i've offered

depends on the kind of boomer, but tell them theyre expensive and rare and everyone wants them

mystes
May 31, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

80 years old with underlying conditions means he deserved to die
Top tier comments on that tweet for sure

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Joementum posted:

the biggest resistance i've run into is the belief that the better masks need to be thrown out after each use. i got several family members to switch over by telling them they could use them for up to 40 hours and keep them in a plastic bag when not in use and it'd be fine

the government has poisoned every well by speaking out of both sides of their mouth, and it fuckin owns

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Business Gorillas posted:

hello goons how r u doing

I've been isolating with my family since the kid escaped from the plague pit, doing p well. It snowed. I'm doing art and watching the birds. I'm sorry to everyone in the thread who's getting hit rn.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

any recommendations for getting a boomer parent to upgrade masks? my mom has no problem wearing cloth masks with filters but refuses to wear the n95s or auras i've offered

Depends on the type of Boomer, my parents are southern and watch fox, so I just played up the politics and told my mom that the CDC and Biden are trying to kill them by being stupid or worse, and that they lie and the only thing that can save them is the N95. I also got them to booster in time too so here's hoping. Thank goodness they were never antivax but they wouldn't have thought about the booster early without me telling them how the liberals are trying to kill them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chamale posted:

If Steve Yun or Wang Commander post in here that they got covid, I'm going to lose hope

I took a risk on Christmas

I rapid tested negative on the 25th

My brother rapid tested negative on the 25th, which I think is enough to cover his family. His kids haven’t been in school all week and they get tested weekly

My sister’s kids get tested weekly at school. Her husband works as a surgery consultant so he gets tested daily but he hasn’t been in the hospital in a week

Mom goes to a korean church where everyone wears KF94s but I think they’re back to online again?

I lectured my mom and my sister for going to a restaurant a week ago, made my mom promise not to go for a while

So, I guess above average for America but not airtight

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Joementum posted:

the biggest resistance i've run into is the belief that the better masks need to be thrown out after each use. i got several family members to switch over by telling them they could use them for up to 40 hours and keep them in a plastic bag when not in use and it'd be fine

:mad: paper bag, gdi

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

I'm really kind of losing it these past few days tbh

don’t worry, we’ll be here for you in the wasteland :unsmith:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I took the week off and am going on a hike in case I got omicron from my or my spouse’s family and I die or get so hosed up I can’t hike anymore is a cool thing to post online and not at all the result of a string of awful decisions.

No one has reported any symptoms though, so I might avoid consequences for my actions!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

McNugget Buddy posted:

Hit da bricks

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
Parents insisting on hosting for New Year’s. They are unboosted old fat smokers. I wish they would put it off for a few weeks so they can see how poo poo hits the fan post-Christmas.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

given that the spike protein of omicron is so different than the wild type spike protein is based off of, how do the existing mRNA vaccines have any neutralizing power at all? i'm not a biologist of any sort so i'm mostly looking for a high-level intuitively understandable explanation. my guess is that it's something like "the spike protein is big enough that antibodies are generated for locations #1 - #100 (or whatever), and mutations changed 70 of those locations but the other 30 still look the same." y/n?

Goobish
May 31, 2011

It's too late anyway so just trying to save my energy for what is coming lol. But hope the people who aren't sick can somehow get N95s to everyone, maybe Bernie can do it or the aliens

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

just a smidge worse than the people hired to officially do this in the state that's probably done more than the average state.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article250375191.html

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

how do i get the free tests joe said he was sending out

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Goobish posted:

Most the thread is symptomatic or pozzed at this point lol we hosed

speak for yourself, resp. crew is well within acceptable bounds and susceptible only to human error

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Goobish posted:

It's too late anyway so just trying to save my energy for what is coming lol. But hope the people who aren't sick can somehow get N95s to everyone, maybe Bernie can do it or the aliens

President Xi.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

email ur receipt to joe

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

my unvaxed step-brother does not and will never give a gently caress about covid and i'm jealous

i mean his mid-40s wife died spontaneously of a pulmonary embolism a month ago, but hey, you can't go to Applebees without cracking a few eggs

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shear Modulus posted:

they're in the mail with the $600 checks

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
If you immediately implement your home quarantine plan as soon as you suspect a member of your household has covid you do have a chance of not getting it too. Like I get that all the cool kids are dehumanizing themselves and face to bloodshed but you’d be better off if you do everything you can to make sure at least one of you is healthy enough to drag everyone else’s bodies to the street.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I remember reading somewhere last week, can't remember exactly where though, that Australia, and NSW in particular, would be good places to watch to gauge the severity of omicron because we are very highly vaxxed, low boosters so far and only a tiny portion of us have had any variety of covid before.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cup Runneth Over posted:

they're in the mail with the $600 checks

I think we'll actually get the tests. It will just ironically be a week after omicron is replaced with a new variant the test can't check for.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Soap Scum posted:

given that the spike protein of omicron is so different than the wild type spike protein is based off of, how do the existing mRNA vaccines have any neutralizing power at all? i'm not a biologist of any sort so i'm mostly looking for a high-level intuitively understandable explanation. my guess is that it's something like "the spike protein is big enough that antibodies are generated for locations #1 - #100 (or whatever), and mutations changed 70 of those locations but the other 30 still look the same." y/n?

imagine the original spike protein is a Mr Potato Head with a baseball cap, big black eyes, a moustache and smile

every antibody the vaccine makes will latch onto only one facial feature

some antibodies latch onto the Cap, some to the eyes, etc

a new COVID comes along. its spike protein has a top hat, half closed blue eyes and a moustache, but no smile

only the antibodies that are looking for a moustache will identify and latch into the new mr potato head

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Chamale posted:

If Steve Yun or Wang Commander post in here that they got covid, I'm going to lose hope

If I get sick just blame ade

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Obviously it’s harder to home quarantine if you all live in a single room in a big pile.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Shear Modulus posted:

wait until late january and submit a claim for reimbursement to your private insurer

since it's now january, you'll still have to pay it but it will count against your deductible for the new year

unless they count it as a pharmacy expense which might not count toward the deductible and might include a copay

also, some insurers are charging a copay for the tests larger than the out of pocket expense for the test

i know this because vermont already set up this system for test reimbursements

fortunately, my insurer doesn't make the proper form available on their site, so i can't submit a reimbursement claim anyway

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

i’m deffo isolating and doing contactless work. landlord is making me move out of my shop and home because they need to make room for whole foods/amazon expansion. i’ve got until the 15th, so it isn’t so bad, but it’s so hard to do all this work and not have a beer with friends and lovers to decompress after.

last big politics meeting i was the only one with a half-face respirator (hf-802 bay-beeeeeee) and now folks like the mayor are popping positive.

10/10 - would inherit this broken earth again

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Obviously it’s harder to home quarantine if you all live in a single room in a big pile.

:rip: Charlie Bucket's grandparents

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

SplitSoul posted:

(..)
In other news 85% of infections are breakthroughs now.

To correct this, breakthroughs are 85% of cases in the 12+ cohort. Said cohort is 88.2% fully vaccinated in Denmark (and half of those have 3 doses), so basically vaccination status doesn't change much as far as infections are concerned. But it isn't more likely to get infected if you are vaccinated.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

imagine the original spike protein is a Mr Potato Head with a baseball cap, big black eyes, a moustache and smile

every antibody the vaccine makes will latch onto only one facial feature

some antibodies latch onto the Cap, some to the eyes, etc

a new COVID comes along. its spike protein has a top hat, half closed blue eyes and a moustache, but no smile

only the antibodies that are looking for a moustache will identify and latch into the new mr potato head

lol i like the comical analogy, but that is more or less what i suggested at the end of my post right? if so cool makes sense, just wasn't sure if i was way off or not

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lmao

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

Well, what took so long is it didn't take long at all.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wang Commander posted:

If I get sick just blame ade

how on earth do you not have a booster-related redtext yet?

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

corvid

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

:drat:

Goobish
May 31, 2011

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Well, what took so long is it didn't take long at all.

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

start ripping monster farts in her face