Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

pseudanonymous posted:

This has been going on all over Asia for some time, in some countries, KFC is a big deal. Weird American brands that we consider trash-tier are like big deal restaurants in random countries.
Pizza Hut in England is basically the equivalent of going to like P.F. Chang's in America.

I thought a while about what the "still chain restaurant, but people are more likely to see it as an acceptable date location" comparison was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Some of those chains, not all mind you, purposefully operate to a higher standard than their American counterparts to capitalize on the "prestige" aspect of being a foreign cultural import.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

GolfHole posted:

mr sub, jugo juice, and van houtte are all lovely crappy C-tier brands that any loving idiot can get a license for in about 20 minutes

For those who arent in Canada: MTY almost exclusively deals in shopping/strip mall food court outlets, like 12 brands total including those 3. Theyre not Tim Hortons or McDonalds or A&W where they dont need to go to the franchise show. They are most definitely AT the franchise show, trying to get as many prospects to buy in as they can.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Frank Frank posted:

I feel bad for Nathen. Sure, he's a weirdo and a buzzword quipping idiot but he clearly loved and cared deeply about GarfieldEats.
I'm kinda bummed out that it was taken away from him by corporate blowhards who don't see the entertagement value of watching a grown man make out with a gigantic stuffed garfield.
:smith:

Nah I don't think he loves or cares deeply about Garfield. This all seems like a bizarre act. Remember how he basically said gently caress Garfield, it's Scooby-Doo time with zero reasoning or forewarning? I'm also not sure what exactly constitutes love and concern from someone who writes a poem professing their love to loving Viacom of all things. I'm sure for him it all comes down to "here's a thing that makes a zillion dollars, I want some, I will do whatever it takes no matter how ridiculous to do that" so he's leaning into this sex-deprived Willy Wonka-esque madman character except he doesn't understand anything about how to actually run a business. If he believes any of the corporate jargon he's spitting then he's truly a fool. It's exhausting to think about for too long honestly.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I've had KFC in Japan and it's actually good. Not top tier or high end food but it's a million times better than in America where it's barely edible.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Frank Frank posted:

KFC is a huge deal in Japan on Christmas. They sell these holiday meal things that sell out months in advance.

The KFC Christmas branding campaign is one of the greatest in marketing history and I'm not being hyperbolic

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnn.com/travel/amp/kfc-christmas-tradition-japan/index.html

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Seth Pecksniff posted:

It sounds like he's having some sort of breakdown because wtf :psyduck:

I wonder if the agreement forbids him to say what happened
My take is he's not going full in on calling Viacom evil copyright-monsters because he hopes if he placates to them enough he can get the license back at some point. And that's why half the runtime of his farewell video was spent sucking up to them.

I am curious what's going on with Scooby Doo Eats since it seems like he'd want to be plugging it more now as his only surviving business. So I went to their site and it looks like that license may have expired, based on their splashscreen? Like maybe he only got it for a year for a trial run or something?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
A man without a weird cartoon mascot. You hate to see it.

Edit: I'm still laughing at the fact that the Scooby Doo Eats lasagna is still called "Big Cow Lasagna". It made little sense when attached to Garfield but at least Garfield loves lasagna.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 27, 2021

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Knormal posted:

My take is he's not going full in on calling Viacom evil copyright-monsters because he hopes if he placates to them enough he can get the license back at some point. And that's why half the runtime of his farewell video was spent sucking up to them.

I am curious what's going on with Scooby Doo Eats since it seems like he'd want to be plugging it more now as his only surviving business.

Probably more like a C&D+NDA. There's no way he would hold back on spilling the tea otherwise.

And also- excuse me? Have we forgotten about a little thing called egeez?

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Frank Frank posted:

A man without a weird cartoon mascot. You hate to see it.

Edit: I'm still laughing at the fact that the Scooby Doo Eats lasagna is still called "Big Cow Lasagna". It made little sense when attached to Garfield but at least Garfield loves lasagna.

It was found out that he didn't even make the lasagnas, just slap a sticker on 'em and send 'em over. That said, 'Big Cow Lasagna' is the kind of dry, sterile and safe marketing you'd see on the names of store-brand products at Costco and such, that come from a single frozen food provider which is exactly where the lasagnas were coming from.

Big cow lasagna was the sterile, safe name the frozen lasagna company gave to its product (it makes sense when you remember the meat was supposed to be 'cowboy cut' ) and Nathen couldn't even be bothered to garf it up a little.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Zefiel posted:

Big cow lasagna was the sterile, safe name the frozen lasagna company gave to its product (it makes sense when you remember the meat was supposed to be 'cowboy cut' ) and Nathen couldn't even be bothered to garf it up a little.

There's no way this is the case. It fits too perfectly with the bizarre names he gave everything else. No food service supplier like GFS or Sysco or whatever is going to use the word "cow" in describing any of the products they sell. It's always "choice, prime cut, grade A, grass-fed beef". This may just be a North American thing but they always, always specifically go out of their way to avoid naming the animal the meat comes from unless it's poultry.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Futanari Damacy posted:

There's no way this is the case. It fits too perfectly with the bizarre names he gave everything else. No food service supplier like GFS or Sysco or whatever is going to use the word "cow" in describing any of the products they sell. It's always "choice, prime cut, grade A, grass-fed beef". This may just be a North American thing but they always, always specifically go out of their way to avoid naming the animal the meat comes from unless it's poultry.

Yeah I think the lasagnas were found but were not named Big Cow by the manufacturer. I could be misremembering though.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Futanari Damacy posted:

No food service supplier like GFS or Sysco or whatever is going to use the word "cow" in describing any of the products they sell. It's always "choice, prime cut, grade A, grass-fed beef". This may just be a North American thing but they always, always specifically go out of their way to avoid naming the animal the meat comes from unless it's poultry.

You do realize that "beef" just means "cow meat", right? Not even 99% of Americans would be stupid enough to not realize where beef comes from.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

They were named that by him because of the cow on US Acres, the other Jim Davis cartoon where Jon's parents live on a farm

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You do realize that "beef" just means "cow meat", right? Not even 99% of Americans would be stupid enough to not realize where beef comes from.

Yeah but the point is it's why they sell pork and not pig. One sounds better than the other and it makes no sense that a food supplier knows less about marketing food than Nathen Mazri. Like, there isn't a world where it's possible so I don't know where the shadow of a doubt is coming from.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Futanari Damacy posted:

Yeah but the point is it's why they sell pork and not pig.

No, they call it pork because pig meat is called pork and has been for centuries. There's no big deception happening. Nathen is stupid but not for the reasons you're claiming.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

They call it pork because pig meat is called pork and has been for centuries. There's no big deception happening.

Christ you're dumb.

Do you see 'pig chops' on the label in the store?
Pig sausage?
No ya loving don't.
The labels will say pork.

That's all they're telling you

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

Yeah I think the lasagnas were found but were not named Big Cow by the manufacturer. I could be misremembering though.

I think you're right, it was just a label slapped on an already existing product

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I can sympathize with a gay man who had to abandon the religion he was raised on because it's anti-gay and now he's struggling to find a new source of meaning and purpose in his life, but Nathen is just going about everything the wrong way.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

No, they call it pork because pig meat is called pork and has been for centuries. There's no big deception happening. Nathen is stupid but not for the reasons you're claiming.

It's not about deception in this case, it's just about word choice norms in North American (and beyond?) marketing. I promise you people who enjoy beef are under no illusions that what they are eating is cow. It's just weird and alienating to say "COW BURGERS".

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

sharknado slashfic posted:

I think you're right, it was just a label slapped on an already existing product

It's made by something called Winona's Harvest in Ontario which also sells this thing

https://www.thestar.com/local-stone...perfection.html

quote:

After purchasing the company from the Pretto family roughly 20 years ago, Rimkus has spent the last several years shifting the focus from tortellini and ravioli to lasagna. The brand now offers several lasagna varieties, from the traditional bolognese to the innovative butter chicken and plant-based options like vegan spinach ricotta and vegan traditional bolognese.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Cow is the animal. Beef is the butchered / processed meat product of the cow. Are you from another planet?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
It's a good troll to pretend to be completely clueless about universally accepted naming conventions for foodstuffs, I'll give you that.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

*Looks at 'Laughing Cow' brand cheese*
That's... That's NOT actually the cow!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I imagine the license for off-putting, square-jawed Scottish cow-pie conisseuer and "The Dandy" mascot Desperate Dan is pretty cheap, and his DC Thompson stable mate Oor Wullie is already licensed to at least one fish and chip shop, so this could be a new chapter.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I forgot he made Scooby Doo hot dogs

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Disco Pope posted:

I imagine the license for off-putting, square-jawed Scottish cow-pie conisseuer and "The Dandy" mascot Desperate Dan is pretty cheap, and his DC Thompson stable mate Oor Wullie is already licensed to at least one fish and chip shop, so this could be a new chapter.

is he desperate because he's required to finish the pie for some reason? not sure where the term applies to the dude

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Disco Pope posted:

If he moves to Scotland to start Desperate DanEATS I'll be first in line 🙏

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Jesus people. English is unique in having different names for the animal and its meat because of the Norman Invasion, the famers raising the animals kept using the Germanic-root names for the animals, but when serving them to their French rulers they called the meat by the Latin-root French names the Normans were expecting. There's no grand conspiracy to hide where meat comes from, it's just a quirk of English. Nathan named it Big Cow Lasagna because he's weird. That's it.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Uhm, I feel like the popper-powered digital age failson knows more about what farmed food should be called than some seventh generation farmer or whatever. It's not beyond a reasonable doubt so this means they're equal possibilities, and in fact, what I'm saying is the case.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Actually

I would like to hide my meat.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

im saint germain posted:

is he desperate because he's required to finish the pie for some reason? not sure where the term applies to the dude

He really wants to gently caress, but in a needy, sad way.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

looking at this page it looks like the lasagna was manufactured by a local place that does only lasagna; full-time
in fact i kind of wish i had tried this lasagna now

https://www.penguinfresh.com/products/big-cow-lasagna-garfield-eats
Manufactured by: Winona's Harvest, Hamilton, ON

Hamilton brothers make lasagna, just lasagna
https://www.thespec.com/life/food-wine/2013/05/08/hamilton-brothers-make-lasagna-just-lasagna.html

nothing on their stock menu resembles "big cow" branding

ergo nathen did indeed come up with big cow for his cat restaurant-themed lasagna

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Knormal posted:

Jesus people. English is unique in having different names for the animal and its meat because of the Norman Invasion, the famers raising the animals kept using the Germanic-root names for the animals, but when serving them to their French rulers they called the meat by the Latin-root French names the Normans were expecting. There's no grand conspiracy to hide where meat comes from, it's just a quirk of English. Nathan named it Big Cow Lasagna because he's weird. That's it.

Is it that unique? Polish does the same thing.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Winona's Big Brown Beefer

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Nathen go on Blocked Party

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Futanari Damacy posted:

Nah I don't think he loves or cares deeply about Garfield. This all seems like a bizarre act.

He loved Garfield enough to write about it in his book, I'm pretty sure. GOD, it's like none of you guys do the required reading

Futanari Damacy posted:

It's exhausting to think about for too long honestly.

This is true

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Is it that unique? Polish does the same thing.
I'd always heard it was a uniquely English thing, but I guess not. It's definitely not the case in the Romance Languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I loved you
I fed you
and now it's time to leave you

this is the last Monday we'll hate together, and we'll always have the tissue boxes