Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Victory Position posted:

really? I mean it does explain some things, but now that's a way more interesting story

Yeah it's explained throughout the story that he's Chilean. During the cartel pool flashback scene, it's explained the reason he wasn't killed is because of his reputation back home. Hes also called generalissimo a couple of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I walked into him at sushi a few years ago. Extremely short dude, maybe 5'6". Wearing a full Katt Williams type outfit

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Was it ever explained why an Asian Man and a Black Woman are bad?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I’ve been watching the sopranos for the first time and it’s good

it is and I want to see it through to the end

coathat
May 21, 2007

Better call saul should have been about the cool slime ball criminal lawyer from breaking bad instead of the loser they put in the show.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

it absolutely owns

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I enjoy the hinge points episodes because Matt Christmas is more tolerable when he is talking about history rather than doing rants about current events

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Bust Rodd posted:

she 100% doesn’t care that her husband buys all her expensive clothes and jewelry with blood money, and all her friends are someone else’s mistress. she’s complicit in everything, no sympathy for the devil or his wife etc etc

so it's good that jimmy was going to murder her because he used dior dresses as a pretense to get her in a kill room?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Gripweed posted:

Was it ever explained why an Asian Man and a Black Woman are bad?

i think it was a bad thing that the podcast was now less diverse and that would disappoint that goon's wife because it was less intersectional

that's my read on that post, ymmv, listen to more TWOCBBWSM podcasts

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pablo Nergigante posted:

ive never seen it but from listening to cum town i'm pretty sure ive absorbed 95% of it all by osmosis

I mostly just dont have the time commitment to watch an old multi-season show, especially proto-prestige, these days

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

ive never seen it but from listening to cum town i'm pretty sure ive absorbed 95% of it all by osmosis

I mostly just dont have the time commitment to watch an old multi-season show, especially proto-prestige, these days

There are exactly two tv shows actually worth watching: the sopranos and justified. Whatever else you're doing is less important!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

some plague rats posted:

There are exactly two tv shows actually worth watching: the sopranos and justified. Whatever else you're doing is less important!!
I've seen Justified and it kicked rear end. I think I actually most every episode live as it was airing.

I think my hang-up on Sopranos is more that I've absorbed it by cultural osmosis but maybe some day. i've got video games to play. Next time I have an international flight its a good way to catch up

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it's implied he was a general during pinochets reign

Victory Position posted:

really? I mean it does explain some things, but now that's a way more interesting story

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yeah it's explained throughout the story that he's Chilean. During the cartel pool flashback scene, it's explained the reason he wasn't killed is because of his reputation back home. Hes also called generalissimo a couple of times.

It doesn't make much sense for Gus to have had any kind of status in the Chilean army. The first time we see him, in the late 1980s, he's a naive idiot and way over his head when interacting with the cartel; hardly how you'd expect a man with extensive experience killing people would act like. Also, we don't know his age, but Giancarlo Esposito was born in 1954, way too young to have been anything other than a lowly foot soldier throughout most of the bad poo poo. 'Generalissimo' is a nickname coming from people who don't respect him, so likely just ironic.

Of course, none of this was ever actually explained so it's possible that it is supposed to make sense, and just doesn't.

Pedro De Heredia has issued a correction as of 12:44 on Dec 27, 2021

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pedro De Heredia posted:

'Generalissimo' is a nickname coming from people who don't respect him, so likely just ironic.

this makes a lot more sense, especially if he was a little poo poo back in Chile

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“I don’t need to watch The Sopranos, I’m too busy watching all the shittier shows that try to copy The Sopranos, and besides, I already know all about that hot Pepper Ann storyline from Cum Town”

lol I always wondered what the dumbest reason for not watching The Sopranos was, thanks for that

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

“I don’t need to watch The Sopranos, I’m too busy watching all the shittier shows that try to copy The Sopranos, and besides, I already know all about that hot Pepper Ann storyline from Cum Town”

lol I always wondered what the dumbest reason for not watching The Sopranos was, thanks for that

Hi bust. You've been a little on edge recently. Have the holidays been a difficult time for you?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
no I got a bunch of sweet loot like a nice Air Fryer and a Blender and a lot of nice, comfy clothes. my mom was really happy and said it was her best Christmas ever and that’s all my brother and I care about. my brother’s wife and I are very good friends and we play all the same video games so she always gives me great gifts too! how was your Christmas?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Pedro De Heredia posted:

It doesn't make much sense for Gus to have had any kind of status in the Chilean army. The first time we see him, in the late 1980s, he's a naive idiot and way over his head when interacting with the cartel; hardly how you'd expect a man with extensive experience killing people would act like. Also, we don't know his age, but Giancarlo Esposito was born in 1954, way too young to have been anything other than a lowly foot soldier throughout most of the bad poo poo. 'Generalissimo' is a nickname coming from people who don't respect him, so likely just ironic.

Of course, none of this was ever actually explained so it's possible that it is supposed to make sense, and just doesn't.

Allende was overthrown in 1973 so it makes sense that he'd be a soldier, but you're right he wouldn't be old enough to have a real rank or status. Operation Condor was ongoing for several years though so who knows. Whatever reputation he developed for being a bad dude in the military, he also apparently developed a reputation as being gay and it seems like this is where the disrespect comes from. He's a killer, but to bring it back to the Sopranos, it's almost a Vito thing, you know?

Sopranos is mandatory viewing for everyone imo it's such a good show. To anyone watching or thinking of watching the Sopranos I say: "please enjoy the show" tyvm. For a lot of people it isn't the show they think it is (which is a good thing).

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

i rewatched that flashback to the meeting where his partner gets killed and he behaves too "normal" (meek) to be a pinochet general
it seems to me that someone high up in such a military org like pinochet's army with rumors of homosexuality floating about them would be much more hardcore than what he showed there, more in line with the way he behaves in the present (both BB and BCS)
so maybe he was a low ranking officer or something? or even better, someone handling paperwork etc. (REMF?) and only when his partner was killed did he start to really bloody his hands

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

It's not like it takes much to justify not watching an 80 hour long thing.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Watching television is too hard

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Gripweed posted:

It's not like it takes much to justify not watching an 80 hour long thing.

you don’t have to justify anything lol, it’s art, not homework.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I watch the Sopranos because it's a well-written show with interesting characters and good acting. But maybe I'm just different

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Gripweed posted:

Walter "I am the bone of my sword" White

i have created over a thousand meths

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Gus Fring was raised in Colonia Dignidad.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Sopranos strikes me as less good and more just nostalgia bait making it seem better than it was, like the matrix or Ghostbusters

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I just started watching the sopranos and it is pretty good. The problem is that like the ghostbusters or the matrix people can not just appreciate the art, but have to make their entire personality be what they consume.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
I've always wondered when the Sopranos was airing in TV how many people tried to copy-cat Tony/ the mafia. At least one person has got to have died doing it

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
stop denying Italian lived experience

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Italians do not live, they persist

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I used to live with this Sicilian guy for a few years and the unbelievable disrespect I rained down upon him, his culture, his diet, his accent, and the stupid meatball moon speak he would hoot at his mom on the phone every night would have been classified as a federal hate crime if he were literally any other race

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

All the italian people I know say the n-word a lot at home, I bet that guy did the same thing

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
oh yeah all the time, but only when playing StarCraft or League of Legends

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

can italians even pronounce the hard-r

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
no, he pronounced it ‘ggadeucaliono!’

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I used to live with this Sicilian guy for a few years and the unbelievable disrespect I rained down upon him, his culture, his diet, his accent, and the stupid meatball moon speak he would hoot at his mom on the phone every night would have been classified as a federal hate crime if he were literally any other race

You're not l*rry, try harder

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Minecraft Holmes posted:

All the italian people I know say the n-word a lot at home, I bet that guy did the same thing

My great uncle “jokes” about being able to say the n-word because his DNA test showed like .001% African probably because my great-grandfather was from Sicily.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
yeah I don’t know if all of Italy is like this but in Sicily at least the dark skinned Sicilians were not/are not considered white and get treated differently

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Giving my italian buddy a hard time by doing the entire dennis hopper true romance monologue whenever we hang out at the bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

ColtMcAsskick posted:

I've always wondered when the Sopranos was airing in TV how many people tried to copy-cat Tony/ the mafia. At least one person has got to have died doing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYLxkGz00d0