Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Fuligin posted:

bowsers fury looks rad as hell but i already veat 3d world twice... and it's 60 smackers... sometimes it's pain 2 be a gamer

Find a used copy then resell it when you beat Bowser's fury imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Bought 3d world and it's coming tomorrow, I never played it before so I'm excited

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

3d world is good. not the best mario game ever but it's quality

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

3D world's all right. doesn't hold a candle to 3D land, but those are some big shoes to fill.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
3D world is probably the best mario to co-op because the crown mechanic is very chaotic and fun

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Lots of Regicide, that game has

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Thread, I bought No More Heroes. I’m looking forward to playing it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I beat the Actraiser remake. I wasn't expecting a whole new land to build after the original final boss, that was a nice surprise. The new final boss was actually a good challenge too, harder than the original at least. The game is still way too short, I was hoping there'd be an entire second half of the game, but nope, just the one land. Still, it's more Actraiser than the original had, which is great.

I think I still prefer the original though even if it is shorter than this one. The siege stuff is neat, but I feel like it doesn't add much, and I still really dislike that you have to go into monster lairs and beat up orbs to seal them. That said, the new story stuff is cool, and the characters are mostly great. Philotas is the best, Danielle is pretty whatever, the rest are cool though.

Also Yuzo Koshiro remains a god of music, the new stuff he composed for the remake is top notch, but seeing as how it's Yuzo Koshiro, nobody should have expected any less.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

cheetah7071 posted:

3D world is probably the best mario to co-op because the crown mechanic is very chaotic and fun

What's the crown mechanic?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Just started Picross because you guys are awesome.

Am I weak for checking mistakes? Please reassure me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hadji murad posted:

yes

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

hadji murad posted:

If you use the cheats in early puzzles youll only have to use them more when they get hard...but its not like anyone can stop you so whatever, go wild

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Try not to cheat before the 15x15s. At that point go wild, I say. Do what you gotta do to advance without pulling your hair out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

There's something to be said about never using assists, because then those "no assist" levels come up and it's just business as usual for you. Your deduction skills advance faster if you never get any help after learning the basic rules.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

b_d posted:

3D world's all right. doesn't hold a candle to 3D land, but those are some big shoes to fill.

Yes, but 3D world comes with Bowsers Fury, low key the best of the modern Marios.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Me, a clever person: Picross owns, I love deterministic games.
Also me, a fool, an utter moron: No way there is a solution in this row, game must be bugged.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's the crown mechanic?

Whoever has the highest score at the end of the level gets a crown. That crown can be knocked off intentionally by another player, to take it for themselves. Chaos ensues.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Twelve by Pies posted:

I beat the Actraiser remake. I wasn't expecting a whole new land to build after the original final boss, that was a nice surprise. The new final boss was actually a good challenge too, harder than the original at least. The game is still way too short, I was hoping there'd be an entire second half of the game, but nope, just the one land. Still, it's more Actraiser than the original had, which is great.

I think I still prefer the original though even if it is shorter than this one. The siege stuff is neat, but I feel like it doesn't add much, and I still really dislike that you have to go into monster lairs and beat up orbs to seal them. That said, the new story stuff is cool, and the characters are mostly great. Philotas is the best, Danielle is pretty whatever, the rest are cool though.

Also Yuzo Koshiro remains a god of music, the new stuff he composed for the remake is top notch, but seeing as how it's Yuzo Koshiro, nobody should have expected any less.

I just wish it hasn't added the tower defence bits because I loathe them and the final island upping the difficulty on them them made it very easy to just drop it because I'd beaten where the original game ended.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks for the advice. I’ll resist hints and take a break and come back when things are difficult.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Sakurazuka posted:

I just wish it hasn't added the tower defence bits because I loathe them and the final island upping the difficulty on them them made it very easy to just drop it because I'd beaten where the original game ended.

Yeah they get ridiculously hard and it's kind of frustrating. One big problem I had with it was that for a good portion of the game I was stuck with no good options against the flying enemies that resist magic. The plague hit Kasandora before I unlocked Act 2, which meant my fields/workshops weren't producing, which made doing the final siege nearly impossible. That meant I had to play the game up until you get the herb from Marahna, and that requires doing all of Marahna and Aitos. And the entire time all I had for flying enemies was Danielle and Shamaal, both of which are magic, since I couldn't summon Alonso anywhere until I beat Kasandora.

But yeah, the final level really sucks because you have a ton of flying enemies going straight for your fields, which means you won't get any health/SP pickups, and that only makes things even harder since once you run out of SP you're at a real disadvantage.

Also I never really found any use for Magehouses, due to most flying types resisting magic.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I bought a second-hand Switch on eBay a couple of years ago. All has been glorious. Recently the left joycons analog stick is sluggish to recognise being pushed down. When I look on YouTube all the videos are about fixing drift. Am I right that this is different to what people call drift? I'm in the UK and wanting to get it fixed.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lol I finally caved and bought a Picross

In other news it is suddenly an hour later than it was

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

xedo posted:

Whoever has the highest score at the end of the level gets a crown. That crown can be knocked off intentionally by another player, to take it for themselves. Chaos ensues.

important point: you get a shitload of points for having the crown when you beat the level.

Bug Squash posted:

Yes, but 3D world comes with Bowsers Fury, low key the best of the modern Marios.

tbh i only played a little bit of bowsers fury and wasn't too compelled to continue... i didn't like the feeling of having to do stuff quickly since big bowser would show up and interrupt everything after a bit of time. it gets really good, huh?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I know it’s a game from 2007 but I’m impressed with the switch port especially in handheld mode for no more heroes.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Well I didnt get picross in the end because i played the free snes one and got angry 🤠

But I am eying up the xcom 2 collection on sale for like 12eur.

Someone said before it ran ok in this thread I think. Anyone got extensive experience with it?

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

b_d posted:

tbh i only played a little bit of bowsers fury and wasn't too compelled to continue... i didn't like the feeling of having to do stuff quickly since big bowser would show up and interrupt everything after a bit of time. it gets really good, huh?

You can see when Bowser is popping up so you can sorta time what you are doing to that as there also things you can only do when Boswer is around.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Picked up Streets of Rage 4 since my gold points were gonna expire in a month and it was on sale. I've already played this on my PC/Xbox already, but drat, the game looks way better on the OLED than my PC monitor lol.

Also dope to have it on-the-go now, with the ability to do local co-op with 4 players across all my joycons :allears: Switch is pretty cool.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

gently caress me i feel like an idiot. I beat the plant monster that gets you the Super Missiles in Super Metroid and now I have 0 clue what to do. I can get past a one way blue light gate and then I’m stuck since I don’t have the speed boost. This is not even 30 minutes into the game.

You don’t have to tell me what to do as I know I figured this out once before but feel free to let me know how much of an idiot I am.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Someone sell my on Monster Sanctuary

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Goddamnit I forgot you can dash without the speed booster in Metroid 3.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Goddamnit I forgot you can dash without the speed booster in Metroid 3.

the noob bridge strikes again!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
In fairness to the noob bridge, the fact that you can’t view the manual on snesflix as far as I can tell does make it a fair sight nastier.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

gently caress me i feel like an idiot. I beat the plant monster that gets you the Super Missiles in Super Metroid and now I have 0 clue what to do. I can get past a one way blue light gate and then I’m stuck since I don’t have the speed boost. This is not even 30 minutes into the game.

You don’t have to tell me what to do as I know I figured this out once before but feel free to let me know how much of an idiot I am.

Skip it! Play Dread first!

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

That speed boost trap and the Power Bomb Pipe (spoiler for another "ugh" moment others have later on if you care) are two of the largest flaws in what is otherwise an immaculate game.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

nrook posted:

In fairness to the noob bridge, the fact that you can’t view the manual on snesflix as far as I can tell does make it a fair sight nastier.

when you start your file, you are given the controls, and it's up to you to see if they do things

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I am so in love with Pikmin 3 :allears:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Amazon is having a sale today on memory:

https://www.amazon.com/deal/e6a31604?showVariations=true&ref=dlx_deals_gd_dcl_img_0_e6a31604_dt_sl15_f7

The 400gb Sandisk micro sd is 44% off

Good for like 5 more hours

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Len posted:

Someone sell my on Monster Sanctuary

I started this recently and it’s pretty fun. Lots of options to build your party. It seems (at least three areas into the game) that any monster is viable, though you have to consider what your team is doing and how to utilize a particular monster. So a monster may or may not be viable, but it’s strictly how your team is composed.

You need a well balanced team, meaning damage + healing + tanking. Each of those roles can also support with buffs/debuffs. In combat you have to think about the order in which to use your monsters because there is a combo system that increases the damage if all subsequent attacks that turn. All actions build the combo meter, including healing. Each attack/heal hits anywhere from 1-8 times. Each of those hits builds the combo meter. It’s fun to strategize the order to act and what to do to build the combo meter as high as possible to set up the third action each turn.

Then there’s the grade each fight gets at the end based in your performance. Factors that influence it are number of turns taken, how well the combo meter was utilized, buffs/debuffs you used, how healthy you monsters are at the end of each turn (incentivizes healing and tanking!), and a free other things.

It’s a really fun game I think. Though I should mention a few things upfront to avoid disappointment. The map is barebones. I have no idea how I’m supposed to remember all the areas I need to go back to when I eventually have abilities to open paths, etc. coming straight from Metroid Dread to this game is giving me severe map whiplash. The other thing is the skill trees, each monster has four skill trees and (at least up to level 12ish) they level quickly. If you’re anything like me you will spend at least 50% of your play time looking at and thinking about skills every time each of your monsters levels up (you get a skill point each level). This could be good or bad, I’ll let it up to you to decide for yourself.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I am so in love with Pikmin 3 :allears:

Hell yeah it’s a fun game. Never gets old watching that fruit get turned into juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

At the end of a year I usually buy some switch games as a little treat. I don’t really buy switch stuff very often. I usually get indie games since they’re dirt cheap on sale, but this year I got Donkey Kong tropical freeze, Metroid dread and sonic colours since they were all on sale and I couldn’t choose. Thank you nintendo