Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

drat tibet is kinda rich huh?

The reworked trade routes did break a lot in our favor. (Kudos to xthetenth for getting that done in the modding!)

Also I was in a rush to finish and just stopped building anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Rody One Half posted:

To add to this, it's my view that default Player Behavior in a grand strategy game, if imagined as actual politics, is essentially Fascism By Default. Because your foremost way of interacting with the game, at all times, IS going to be naked conquest or the preparation for it. Further, you are encouraged, if the game features such mechanically, to generally quash most dissent so you, the player, can continue being the primary decision maker (You never want to have a laissez-faire economy in Victoria for example), And also any kind of land taken is not land taken from your historical or semi-mythical ancestors, it's land taken from YOU, so of course revanchism Is the order of the day.

I'm going to make this spicier and say that it is not intrinsic to the form writ large but does result quite rapidly from the combination of historical and gameplay theses that Paradox subscribe to.

Kangxi posted:

I did buff the cavalry units for the tech groups for the western hemisphere, called 'High American' in the vanilla conversion files - we didn't get a chance to see them, but assume all megafauna are alive and well.

So I've saved a copy of the religions of the world statistics from 1444 and 1821 here and they might be good for a broad view:

Slight decrease in High Church Bön, but if you add High Church and Restorationist Bön together, there is a slight increase from 1821 compared to 1444.

The biggest winners are Hindu (from Ethiopia and Majapahit, most likely), Totemist (the Tsalagi probably), Inti, and Bogomilist. Norse took a catastrophic loss and that's almost entirely from colonization and the loss of Scandinavia.

Theravada Buddhist took a big loss but Mahayana is doing better. Sunni has a modest increase. Shinto is doing surprisingly well but that may be from the Taira in Siberia.

Charca and Chachapoya included in previous post

IG: Punjab has a lot of vassals, many of them were former parts of the Sacred Tibetan Empire. Ethiopia and Majapahit are allies. Muisca and Revolutionary Anatolia are allies. The Tibetan Republic still has a lot of allies in the south, including Tamilakam.

OG: Don't do anything big in the middle of a pandemic, for one.

I might have done one or two more rounds of real playtesting to catch some of the bugs - they were very persistent and some of the longer delays between posts were partially because I was trying to do brain surgery on a mod and savegame at the same time.

EU4 is fun to play but I found it harder to write about, as has been discussed before. CK2 lends itself well to personal dramas, but EU4 is more remote, and while I could have gone for a more textbook style in describing that historical process, I tended to go for more elaborate narrative posts, for better or for worse.

-----

Well, both ByzLP and AndalusLP had things go badly in EU4 as well. Tibet had some setbacks and stagnation in EU4 but not a total unrecoverable collapse. I did think to myself about how to make everything 'interesting' and throwing more disasters my way to stop the blobbing which is very easy to do, and in fact became much easier after this timeline's Mingsplosion. I'd set up Jin as a big opponent for Tibet but they just fell apart too quickly.

Thank you for these answers! I'm curious to see what breaks which ways in Vicky. I can see several of the current great powers have a really interesting time when independence/nationalist movements come into fashion.

I'll definitely keep in mind the thing about bugs and preparation, I am very unlikely to do a Paradox LP but periodically I get an urge to LP this or that game.

The EU4 game that I think of as being particularly disastrous was Denmark, holy moly they had a rough EU4. EU4 is somewhat designed to be rough, the period it covers particularly for Europe is a time of escalating violence, especially fairly early on with the 30 Years War being an apocalypse relative to the wars that would be covered by CK2, and if EU4 is simulating anything its realpolitik in the modern era, with all its security dilemma issues. I think EU4 would have to have different axioms to regularly produce runs that are not super bloody.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

SirPhoebos posted:

Are the Khazars still kicking?

Yes! Several Rabbinic and Karaite provinces near the Dneiper, but only a couple tags, including the Kingdom of Cyprus.

To build off of the current discussion, in my opinion it has to do with not only that it is a strategy game - emphasizing a single player with a lot of power to make decisions and carry them out. It also has to do with the subject matter of historical events, and potentially wanting history to 'go another way', which can attract all kinds of political beliefs and the games might be, for some, a kind of wish fulfillment. Additionally, there was the trend for thread voters emphasizing more aggressive outcomes - but on the other hand I did notice some brakes were pulled on me near the end, where the National Alliance won the last vote although they were getting dragged along by the Lasyaists and other expansionists. They'll be going in the Victoria conversion in some form, by the way.

There was the previous tendency for voters to pick more aggressive foreign policy, or potentially a dictatorial leadership - in Flamboyant Schemers, and in HohenzollernLP, and Wiz did not let up on that - and in CreteLP, which is beyond description. For a more recent case, there is AndalusLP, which tended towards chaos as a general rule. I personally had noticed there has been a real sea change in more recent LPs, and I do wonder if that has to do with contemporary politics, or how much the voting base for these threads has changed post 2016 - likely both.

As for Tibet, a lot depends on how the Victoria stage of the LP turns out. There is a lot of cause for optimism, and you might be a bit of a whig historian about it almost - abolition of slavery centuries 'early', a wide spread of republics and democracies compared to this time in our timeline, and gender equality in much of the world by fiat since the 870s. That said, the volatile political situation and a lot of cores means I can't really predict anything at all at this stage. I'll have to put some thought into what happens and present some thread votes. It's also important to note that with so many powers that are in the early stages of industrialization, and the fact that there are multiple regional powers -- a 'Great War' in this timeline could be truly nasty. I haven't ruled out the LP going south, and we are going to have some nasty consequences from earlier votes, but good outcomes are possible.

I'd rather consciously struggled with narrative writing for this part of the LP, and there's only so many times I could work with colonial expansion and naked realpolitik alone. Although I feel better working on more familiar ground with this timeline's Second Industrial Revolution and subsequent political developments. I've wanted to add some more thread input as Tibet democratizes, and I don't regret that - I just feel I could have integrated thread input more. I am going to have more votes on conversion and an epilogue for EU4. I am of open to thread feedback.

Finally, thanks for reading this thread for all this time. I do appreciate it.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 26, 2021

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

If Tibet falls because of the thread's hubris, then that would be a narrative I'd read.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

kw0134 posted:

If Tibet falls because of the thread's hubris, then that would be a narrative I'd read.

The fracture of Al-Andalus because of the failed (forced) revolution was very entertaining to read.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Kangxi posted:

This has been a wonderful story. Thank you so, so much for telling it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kangxi posted:

It's been really fantastic, and I really especially appreciate your links to locations and concepts that are often unfamiliar to Western readers.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

If we are still taking flag submissions, I've had a few more ideas.

Taira

- Neutral/Monarchy

- Republic

- Communist

- Fascist

Tsutsui

- Neutral/Monarchy

- Republic

- Communist

- Fascist

Jin

- Neutral/Monarchy

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

Ikasuhito posted:

If we are still taking flag submissions, I've had a few more ideas.

I am absolutely still taking flag submissions. Thank you so much for these.

I do have some news: I have been working on the conversion, starting with the conversion tool and then fine-tuning it from there.

It would take some time, but I'm happy to keep working on it.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Kangxi posted:

I do have some news: I have been working on the conversion, starting with the conversion tool and then fine-tuning it from there.

It would take some time, but I'm happy to keep working on it.

If you would like any suggestions on doing so, from setting things up to tweaking the operation of the converter, let me know.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Kangxi posted:

You are most welcome.

Ning

- Neutral/Monarchy

- Republic

- Communist

Yue

- Neutral/Monarchy

- Republic

- Communist

- Fascist

Tlaxcala

- Neutral/Monarchy

- Republic

- Communist

- Fascist

Shun
- Neutral/Monarchy

- Republic

- Communist

Jin

- Republic

- Communist

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 8, 2021

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

Ikasuhito posted:

Shun
- Neutral/Monarchy

This is Shu - 蜀

Shun is 順

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Kangxi posted:

This is Shu - 蜀

Shun is 順

….(Checks localisation folder)…. How embarrassing.:blush:

Fixed.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
INTERLUDE: c. 921

Gyalyum the Benevolent had been powerful and she had known how to implement that power, in cutting short an Era of Fragmentation. But was she happy? Would she even ask such a question? And what of her own feelings of love and awareness of the affection of others, of how many others would use her name in homage or as a prop for their own glory? Or were concerns like this still dormant, awaiting future developments of history? Or was she aware of them, and yet they are lost, sunk into the abyss of history, vanished without a name, as were the names and stories of many untold billions of others who lived and died? Did she have friends? Did she trust, have passion? What did she say to Pakmodru Tse, the woman whose hands she kissed and then clothed in the orange robes of a priest-queen? She was a queen and then an empress for sixty-five years, longer than most who came before or after. Yet in this biography, her life is a closed book to us. The act of rememberance, of writing history, creates its own heroes and villains, stock characters from opera thrown into stark relief. The myths and remoteness of her empire shapes what little we know of her. What was the core, the essence of this woman, and what thoughts were in her head?

We do not know.

-I, Gyalyum, Empress of Tibet: A Historical Biography by Chhoem Phirun

Gyalyum the Knuckle-Slammer, not yet an empress, not yet benevolent, grimaces and turns over in her blankets.

Before she goes to bed, she thinks of the time where she was engaged in combat with that warrior from Limbuwan who nearly cut her head open with an axe. Exciting days. At first, in the brief moment after it happened, she only recalled the novelty of the feeling - almost the same way it had felt after she had cut her hair short almost to the scalp as a very young child and rushed out into the cold air, of the sensation wind and cold where it should not be.

She hid under a dead horse and ate woolly hare with her hands and teeth before making it back to her army. That was a story she will tell as she gestures over the cleft in her face.

For this and for many years after, a consuming fire burned, the fire that would turn bones black and then white and that was called ambition. Few things were as exciting as someone attempting to kill you, but also killing them in defense. She looked upon the funerary ceremonies for her brave warriors, which she repeated to herself the words of the religious invocations. She would feel disappointed to have died too early, when not all of her plans had been achieved.

She's now much older than her father ever was.

Her mother had gone to China, perhaps joining some nunnery or hermitage. She vanishes from history.

Her grandfather was just another warlord out of many, died in his bed after so many years of plunder.

What all this for? It was not solely from the acts of bravery in times of violence, which she enjoyed, as she would admit to freely in front of others and in the silence of the night. Sleepness nights and being pulled out of it by the sounds of birds in the morning. But she also felt it was a rot in the soul, she told herself she would let herself be better after this. Would it all become stories? The stories she had read to her at night. In the establishment of Empire, in the construction of temples and the telling of myths, of ending a period that would be silent in history. There are history books about her now, artefacts. Ideas became material, even if imperfect in communication.

She had never learned to read, despite trying all those years, squinting at the paper in the evening light. Those writings were a mystery and sacred, where things were held beyond even her own formidable memory. She recalls a peasant who, upon seeing a book shelf, carefully dusted the carved wooden covers with his own scarf, and felt blessed to take the dust home.

She falls asleep, finally, but not for long and not peacefully. She turns over in her blankets, and she clasps her hands together and does not stir and only looks up at the painted ceiling. She turns her head and sees, back towards her-

Pakmodru Tse, who on the field bears shield and sword beside her. 'She saved me,' Gyalyum thinks to herself first in shock and then gratitude. Tse might have been sleeping peacefully beside her but it seems that her agitation had left them both awake.

"What is wrong," she says mumbling. "I warned you - you've been eating too much hard cheese in one sitting again."

"Bad dreams." Gyalyum answers in a low voice. "Maybe important."

Tse adopts a gently mocking tone. "Dreams are of most importance only to the person who has them."

Gyalyum smiles at the corner of her mouth, but still does not stir. She leans her head against the top of Tse's shoulder and closes her eyes.

Dreams for her fade out of memory quickly, much to the annoyance of her court oracles, but this one lingers. She recalls a scene as remote and alien as the surface of the moon, and trenches cut of the glacial rock. The growling bellow of a horn, and she and her troops storm out of the trenches in the night, the flames reflecting off the strange flat helmets of the troops beside her, each wave going off into the long dark. She clutches the prayer beads in her pocket. Somewhere next to her, a man in long robes is laughing.

With the instant clarity that comes only in situations of life or death, she climbs a ladder and storms out of her trench, waving her fellows on. The roaring sounds grow louder, as if the gods themselves were battling above. A man walks past her in the opposite direction with a long jagged bit of wood run right through him, shambling about like a sleepwalker.

She fiddles with the metal switch attached to her spear. Her teeth grind together. No ceremonies here, this will be murder. She tenses up, her body shakes with the feeling of being both hunter and target. It is only her alone in the blasted and burned landscape.

She sees houses and temples soaring into the air like kites and catching fire. Human souls suffocated and entombed in cold irom, of death taking a scythe and cutting down the earth like dry grass.

She sees great paper lanterns floating over the landscape, before vanishing out of existence like soap bubbles.

She sees someone dressed in an unfamiliar coat, and her animal impulse takes over. She charges at him and he falls over backwards, crawling backwards on the ground away from her spear and knife, and the young boy - he is only a young boy - trembles, putting one hand up in front of his face, the other reaching into the pocket of his long tunic, and then producing a black and white image of a woman and a chid, some talisman. Gyalyum recalls lowering her weapon slightly, before heading on.

This would be the future of humanity, she felt, all heroics and morality gone, just the coldest of all cold monsters grinding humanity onto altars of sacrifice, all the bodies stacked up like kindling, every life falling into that endless fog, names, histories, all. She sees houses and temples burning, mosaics and paintings curling up into ash.

Gyalyum the Benevolent said nothing. She would tell Tse everything on her mind, of course, but not yet.

In a few weeks, there was going to be an event that would be recalled for thousands of years - well, Gyalyum thought to herself. Maybe a couple dozen would be not so bad, and probably just around Lhasa. Remembered for a little while later.

She had yet dreams, and of establishing her peace for some time. Perhaps the Empire was to grant glory, perhaps to make itself strong and ready for what this hell might be. The use of power against evil, as the wrathful tutelary deities wage war in the cardinal directions against the poisonous forces, and avoid moral confusion and be rescued from evil rebirths. All humanity freed from evil cycles.

Would Tibet last? When its rulers grew not worthy to rule, she thought, the empire would deserve to fall. Whatever comes after might be better, she prayed. But there was at least some peace in the present moment.

She thinks of a burning temple again and shuts her eyes. Then nothing.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 12, 2021

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUf_8jyxbiM

Skavenlord
Jan 31, 2021
Does anyone have a link to CreteLP?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

Skavenlord posted:

Does anyone have a link to CreteLP?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3257534

You're going to need archives for this one. If you do have them, buckle up.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Kangxi posted:

And since waffleimages was resurrected, it's actually mostly complete now!

Skavenlord
Jan 31, 2021
Thanks.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Time to round out the Majors.

Tibet

- Republic

And if your looking for a little change of color.

- Communist

I would also like to take this time to thank the very talented people (QuoProQuid, megane, Chatrapati, and Negostrike) who provided the basis for these and other flags.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Kangxi posted:

Some of these old Paradox LPs feel almost like a fever dream, and then someone pulls a link to one out of their hat and you realize that it actually happened.

Lowkey wanna give the Srbja round-robin another shot in CK3.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
I have a funny story from working on the conversion. I tried an observer test run earlier this week and all of the machine parts factories closed down. As machine parts are required for producing more factories in this game, that meant nobody built any more factories or naval bases for decades - but there were still some railroads with the very limited steel production that was still ongoing.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Now that's an alt history run.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Kangxi posted:

I have a funny story from working on the conversion. I tried an observer test run earlier this week and all of the machine parts factories closed down. As machine parts are required for producing more factories in this game, that meant nobody built any more factories or naval bases for decades - but there were still some railroads with the very limited steel production that was still ongoing.

I wonder if that's behind the sometimes complaints we get about there being no machine parts. We know we place the factories, so it never made much sense. I had assumed people were just unaware of how restricted the number of parts is even with the factories working.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Kangxi posted:

What if we just, like, shut down all the war factories, maaan

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Merry Christmas all!

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

And a belated one to you as well!

Muisca

- Monarchy/Generic

- Republic

Communist

- Fascist

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

An achievement from the CK2 Royal Court expansion:

quote:

Bod Chen Po

As a member of the Pugyel Dynasty, re-create the Empire of Tibet

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
I have an update for everyone although it might not be the one you all have been anticipating. With a heavy heart, I have decided I am going to put a stop on modding work on Victoria 2. I feel I am simply unable to complete the mod to any satisfying degree with my current working schedule and other responsibilities. With how many complications with mechanics and false starts I've had with the modding work itself, it's become more work than a hobby this year. I feel obligated to say something here than just let the thread fade out.

However, I would like to emphatically say this does not mean that I've put a stop on the LP itself. I am, along with many of you, anticipating the release of Victoria 3 in the coming months. I am going to see what I can do from there - how I can feasibly mod Victoria 3 into something workable for the purposes of the Lets Play. And finally, unless the narrative really demands it, I am probably going to conclude the Lets Play there. I am going to have this thread archived and make a new one when I am ready to resume again.

Finally, I'd like to thank you for reading the thread over all these many months. I'm still a little gobsmacked that this fun little side project I started pre-pandemic became something so many people enjoyed. I am going to tie up the narrative somehow, and thank you again for your interest and all of your contributions.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 5, 2022

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
🎵If it takes forever I will wait for you
For a thousand summers I will wait for you
🎵

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kangxi posted:

I have an update for everyone although it might not be the one you all have been anticipating. With a heavy heart, I have decided I am going to put a stop on modding work Victoria 2. I feel I am simply unable to complete the mod to any satisfying degree with my current working schedule and my present responsibilities. With how many mechanics and false starts I've had with the modding work itself, it's become more work than a hobby this year. I feel obligated rather say something here than just let the thread fade out.

However, I would like to emphatically say this does not mean that I've put a stop on the LP itself. I am, along with many of you, anticipating the release of Victoria 3 in the coming months. I am going to see what I can do from there - how I can feasibly mod Victoria 3 into something workable for the purposes of the Lets Play. And finally, unless the narrative really demands it, I am probably going to conclude the Lets Play there. I am probably going to have this thread archived and make a new one when I am ready to resume again.

Finally, I'd like to thank you for reading the thread over all these many months. I'm still a little gobsmacked that this fun little side project I started pre-pandemic became something so many people enjoyed. I am going to tie up the narrative somehow, and thank you again for your interest and all of your contributions.

Awesome. This has been a real blast and you're a great writer so whatever you put out next I'm excited for.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Knuckleslammers never die!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

habeasdorkus posted:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Ikasuhito posted:

- Republic

I see that Evenki flag!
I forgot already but the Taira are controlling Siberia, right?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Huh, good time to finally get around to finishing reading this thread.

If nothing else the stuff we've got is Good.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Kangxi posted:

I have an update for everyone although it might not be the one you all have been anticipating. With a heavy heart, I have decided I am going to put a stop on modding work on Victoria 2. I feel I am simply unable to complete the mod to any satisfying degree with my current working schedule and other responsibilities. With how many complications with mechanics and false starts I've had with the modding work itself, it's become more work than a hobby this year. I feel obligated to say something here than just let the thread fade out.

However, I would like to emphatically say this does not mean that I've put a stop on the LP itself. I am, along with many of you, anticipating the release of Victoria 3 in the coming months. I am going to see what I can do from there - how I can feasibly mod Victoria 3 into something workable for the purposes of the Lets Play. And finally, unless the narrative really demands it, I am probably going to conclude the Lets Play there. I am going to have this thread archived and make a new one when I am ready to resume again.

As someone who's had a megacampaign on hold for five years while I work on the next mod, I fully understand. For what it's worth, the converters team is planning on making EU4 to Vic3, so there should be something to take care of the worst of the fiddly bits. Either way though, it's been a great journey and I thank you for the LP.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Kangxi posted:

Now I'm even more excited for Victoria 3.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Take as much time you need and if it's not the project you want to do, CK/EU is a good run and plenty of entertainment as it is.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Thank you for the fantastic ride, Kangxi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020

habeasdorkus posted: