Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Futanari Damacy posted:

Nah I don't think he loves or cares deeply about Garfield. This all seems like a bizarre act. Remember how he basically said gently caress Garfield, it's Scooby-Doo time with zero reasoning or forewarning? I'm also not sure what exactly constitutes love and concern from someone who writes a poem professing their love to loving Viacom of all things. I'm sure for him it all comes down to "here's a thing that makes a zillion dollars, I want some, I will do whatever it takes no matter how ridiculous to do that" so he's leaning into this sex-deprived Willy Wonka-esque madman character except he doesn't understand anything about how to actually run a business. If he believes any of the corporate jargon he's spitting then he's truly a fool. It's exhausting to think about for too long honestly.

I've only been reading this thread during 2021 but I can safely say that it's not an act. No way. He never breaks it and the people who have worked with and for him said he's always like that. He's just a narcissistic weirdo who thinks he's a branding genius and that branding is the only thing that matters for a business to succeed. Totally delusional capitalist failson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

GolfHole posted:

looking at this page it looks like the lasagna was manufactured by a local place that does only lasagna; full-time
in fact i kind of wish i had tried this lasagna now

https://www.penguinfresh.com/products/big-cow-lasagna-garfield-eats
Manufactured by: Winona's Harvest, Hamilton, ON

Hamilton brothers make lasagna, just lasagna
https://www.thespec.com/life/food-wine/2013/05/08/hamilton-brothers-make-lasagna-just-lasagna.html

nothing on their stock menu resembles "big cow" branding

ergo nathen did indeed come up with big cow for his cat restaurant-themed lasagna
I know you are just talking about how he undoubtedly named it, but for those new to the thread who missed it:

https://prettospasta.com/butter-chicken/

It is not branded Big Cow, obviously, and clearly this is a chicken lasagna, but it is an already-extant orange lasagna sauce which seems fairly damning.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Rinkles posted:

Is it that unique? Polish does the same thing.

French has vache and bouef, and did in Norman times (although consistent spelling is a new thing). For one thing cows are female but beef is from male or female animals.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Elephant Ambush posted:

I've only been reading this thread during 2021 but I can safely say that it's not an act. No way. He never breaks it and the people who have worked with and for him said he's always like that. He's just a narcissistic weirdo who thinks he's a branding genius and that branding is the only thing that matters for a business to succeed. Totally delusional capitalist failson.

Agreed, I don't think Nathen would have done so many embarrassing things like tongue a Garfield stuffed animal if he was just a vanilla narcissist. Plenty of his other cringey content would definitely still have happened regardless - Ahmed and Howard is a perfect example of a classic vanity project - but while they're embarrassing, they're not as outright damaging to one's own image or a company's IP as compared to his lust for the orange cat. You can cook up plenty of bullshit about why a team-based project like that movie wound up being a stinker in the end, but there's nobody to blame except Nathen for his social media output, especially considering how he publicly goaded Chris Pratt on social media as well. Absolute bonkers move that someone with perspective would recognize as being potentially ruinous in his position. At this point, I'd have considered Viacom to be acting irrationally if they didn't cut him free. He's only gonna get worse until either he gets reined back in by his family and effectively silenced on social media, or he burns out hard enough that I don't wanna witness it.

im saint germain fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 27, 2021

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Frank Frank posted:

KFC is a huge deal in Japan on Christmas. They sell these holiday meal things that sell out months in advance.

That was a marketing coup by KFC that convinced people that it's what American's eat for Christmas. You still have to reserve holiday sets but plenty of grocery stores and department stores sell fried chicken as well so it's not just KFC anymore. I almost did it last year for a laugh but paying extra for a huge holiday set I had to reserve weeks in advance seemed plus, even for just the experience.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Knormal posted:

I'd always heard it was a uniquely English thing, but I guess not. It's definitely not the case in the Romance Languages.

English is a trainwreck of multiple language roots.

Cow is germanic in origin.
Beef is Latin in origin.

For many many words in English there's essentially synonyms that are from the two different roots. Generally speaking the latin one is more educated
sounding consider ask vs inquire.

I would guess the split in English in part came from the nobility in French conquered England referring to their meat as bos while their peasants were saying kowh.

I don't think the same thing is causing the split in Polish.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Elephant Ambush posted:

I wouldn't say it's not an act, more like there's nothing else underneath to show through

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I'll never understand how this business failed when it was banging out absolute masterpieces 24/7

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
The celibacy thing is just a wierd rebranding of being asexual - juat be a boring wierdo asexual like a bunch of other millennial sad brains. They're just as online and hostile as sex having gays that we've let them in on the acronym.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's not an act and he's not asexual.
He has deeply rooted mental illness and repressed homosexual drives to the point that he just claims celibacy because he's not facing it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Well do you? Do you see everyone with a Garfield-shaped pizza head?

DO YOU MOTHERFUCKER?
ANSWER ME.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
the scooby-doo shaped pizzas are going to bake even worse

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The Alchemist posted:

the scooby-doo shaped pizzas are going to bake even worse

They'll just make them round and give you two and call it "The Velma"

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Big Beef City posted:

They'll just make them round and give you two and call it "The Velma"

At some point Nathen made disparaging remarks about Velma but I can’t remember the context.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

At some point Nathen made disparaging remarks about Velma but I can’t remember the context.

iirc she just didnt exist in Mazri's headcanon. All the other kids were presented in the promo pictures but her.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

The Alchemist posted:

iirc she just didnt exist in Mazri's headcanon. All the other kids were presented in the promo pictures but her.

No I’m pretty sure he said something inexplicable about her but I can’t remember what it was.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Frank Frank posted:

No I’m pretty sure he said something inexplicable about her but I can’t remember what it was.

If Nathen doesn't get a new venture soon this'll be the obituary to the entire thread.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

reignofevil posted:

If Nathen doesn't get a new venture soon this'll be the obituary to the entire thread.

I was one of the folks calling for it to be goldmined a while ago and that was a mistake. Unless Nathen literally dies, he’ll do something sooner or later to resurrect it even if it goes dormant for a while.

My prediction will be that he’ll have a “new me New Years” thing shortly.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

lt_kennedy posted:

The celibacy thing is just a wierd rebranding of being asexual - juat be a boring wierdo asexual like a bunch of other millennial sad brains. They're just as online and hostile as sex having gays that we've let them in on the acronym.

It's 100% just him being spurned on Grindr and using his corporate social media presence to loudly declare "that's okay, in fact, I NEVER liked to gently caress, and btw neither does Garfield!!" The vibe of neediness he puts off with all of this is an extreme turn-off to say the least.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

This thread isn’t over. Nothing is over

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Lets not forget egeez, everybody. Nathan is far from done, and losing Garfield only sets him free to spend time on all his other entergaging projects.

necroid
May 14, 2009

lmao just caught up with the thread

why does he insist on wearing creepy rear end contact lenses? those can't be his real pupils wtf

necroid
May 14, 2009

Mega64 posted:

I can't imagine how Nathen could've lost the Garfield license.

also lol

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I'm pretty sure the Big Cow thing is to make it seem like it's a legit company partnership where he found an established and vetted brand to work with, not just something they made up for it (which is what it was). And then Big Cow bc cheese and beef is from cows and big would insinuate it's extra fat and yummy.

It's just a marketing ploy.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 27, 2021

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm telling you all it's because of the Jim Davis US Acres cartoon that literally has a big cow as a main character that would be part of the Garfield license

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Frank Frank posted:

Wasn’t it due to a new Velma show that’s coming out on HBO Max, and thus likely they were against this maniac having any kind of say with regards to her image leading up to it.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Also very likely that, tho when I Google that poo poo nothing comes up on the various fan wikis for US Acres so who knows. I'm no US Acres expert.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Futanari Damacy posted:

It's 100% just him being spurned on Grindr and using his corporate social media presence to loudly declare "that's okay, in fact, I NEVER liked to gently caress, and btw neither does Garfield!!" The vibe of neediness he puts off with all of this is an extreme turn-off to say the least.

It's possible that his passionate making out with Garfield was meant to be cutting edge satire. Superman kissed a man in a comic and, for all of two days the internet was abuzz with talk. The Garfield kissing dropped just then, and came coupled with manic statements about how "Society says this is okay!!"

I think at least one person must've voiced their disapproval where Nathen could see it (Nathen's audience was very small but boy did he care) because Nathen suddenly declared himself celibate and very angry about "too much sex in media". I can only assume he was trying to tell us that, no, no, he's not mad about men kissing, he's mad about kissing in media in general as some kind of damage control.

I don't think he needed to have bothered, since there was no real damage. The amount of people who pay attention to this measured in the tens, and the amount of people who can accurately parse it all measure in the nones (I am quite likely wrong, and merely seeing patterns in noise).

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Big Beef City posted:

I'm telling you all it's because of the Jim Davis US Acres cartoon that literally has a big cow as a main character that would be part of the Garfield license

Going off by memory there’s a pig, 2 sheep, a duck, a chick and an egg. I don’t think they had a cow or if they did, my brain completely repressed it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Going off by memory there’s a pig, 2 sheep, a duck, a chick and an egg. I don’t think they had a cow or if they did, my brain completely repressed it.

Well they used to until the lasagna, obviously

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
He probably would have told us why he picked the name if someone asked him when it was still going. I wouldn't now though as I don't want to dredge up any bad memories for him or hear him expound on literally anything else.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Alchemist posted:

Lets not forget egeez, everybody. Nathan is far from done, and losing Garfield only sets him free to spend time on all his other entergaging projects.

Now all he needs to do is wait for businesses to line up to purchase product licenses from the guy who managed to lose three licenses in one year in the most embarrassing manner imaginable

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I think at least one person must've voiced their disapproval where Nathen could see it (Nathen's audience was very small but boy did he care) because Nathen suddenly declared himself celibate and very angry about "too much sex in media". I can only assume he was trying to tell us that, no, no, he's not mad about men kissing, he's mad about kissing in media in general as some kind of damage control.

I don't think he needed to have bothered, since there was no real damage. The amount of people who pay attention to this measured in the tens, and the amount of people who can accurately parse it all measure in the nones (I am quite likely wrong, and merely seeing patterns in noise).

Nickelodeon, Viacom etc. are big companies and I imagine they had a person involved with the license checking in from time to time on the social media aspect. There's no way they were watching every minute or they would have caught his antivaxx Instagram stories or something else equally disqualifying. With public licensing agreements there's often a "morality clause" that says you can't do certain things that might have the knock-on effect of damaging the brand, under penalty of losing the license itself. It is kind of fun that there are so many potential things that would have done it and we can only guess what the straw was that broke the camel's back.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
The Big Cow lasagna, made of 100% semolina fresh egg Italian pasta since 1966, is rich in delicious creamy béchamel sauce filled with our 5 layers of orangey Bolognese, 5 layers of cheese & Ricotta, & 4 layers of ground minced beef at a big portion of 750g for up to 2 people. Heat and eat with family and friends.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Let's not forget the whole menu

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Ordered a BBQ steak pizza and an orange garfaccino. Pray for me.

There's a video on a constant loop of Jim Davis telling me how great Garfeats is.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Let's not forget the whole menu

Scooby-Doo EATS Charcuterie Board

The wood is salvaged and hand selected for quality and uniqueness. Urban trees are under stress due to the harsh environments; many of our slabs have beautiful figures or characters, such as curls, spalting, Birdseye, and quilting. The live edge material is salvaged from locally-felled permit remover urban trees to avoid and hinder deforestation.

The one-of-a-kind Scooby-Doo EATS beautiful BBQ conversation piece is made from Canada sourced black walnut. This unique charcuterie board is handcrafted and sanded down to 220 grit leaving it smooth to the touch. Finally, it’s finished with a liquid-resistant, scratch-resistant, food-safe finish that makes the wood grain pop! #Farm2board indeed! Rooby-Rooby-Roo.

$249.99
Get notified when this proudct is back in stock

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I assure you when the bacteria encounter scoob's face they find it to be a wonderfully groovy situation.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
This Christmas my mom got her daughter-in-law a charcuterie board. The daughter-in-law in return had gotten her a charcuterie board. Neither of them have a cartoon characters on theirs so my Christmas contribution will be in the form of permanent sharpie-penned drawings of nude Garfield all over their boards.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Futanari Damacy posted:

Nickelodeon, Viacom etc. are big companies and I imagine they had a person involved with the license checking in from time to time on the social media aspect. There's no way they were watching every minute or they would have caught his antivaxx Instagram stories or something else equally disqualifying. With public licensing agreements there's often a "morality clause" that says you can't do certain things that might have the knock-on effect of damaging the brand, under penalty of losing the license itself. It is kind of fun that there are so many potential things that would have done it and we can only guess what the straw was that broke the camel's back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010