Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The cognitive dissonance is real, they're trying to reconcile "Star Citizen's" luxury, with real-world quality. Those 2 don't go hand in hand. They've been fed all this time on how much fidelity, work and quality has been put into the game. So much so that they expect the same for their real world store (really what would you call those items, "Star Citizen Gear" - I guess at this point). Then when these 2 don't equal each other, they become butthurt and sad.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Buy an Idris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/feEUe7J.gifv

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
I'm late to the financials talk, but their total employee headcount is 695, while their salary expenditures are 43.950M.

That's an average of $63237.41 per employee, and this includes admin.

Their employees are being shafted so hard lmao

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Mellow_ posted:

I'm late to the financials talk, but their total employee headcount is 695, while their salary expenditures are 43.950M.

That's an average of $63237.41 per employee, and this includes admin.

Their employees are being shafted so hard lmao

Either that or they really have less employees than reported. Maybe counting some of the contracted external ones. Also the staff figure is year end, so average during the year would be lower than the 695 reported.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

MedicineHut posted:

Either that or they really have less employees than reported. Maybe counting some of the contracted external ones. Also the staff figure is year end, so average during the year would be lower than the 695 reported.

I hope they're counting contractors because even if we give them the generosity of using the employee headcount from 2019 with their 2020 expenditures we're still sitting at ~$72000 which still makes me sad.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
A lot of those employees are in the UK so it might not be much different from other gaming salaries. Maybe someone else knows more but I would guess a game dev in their early twenties working on a project as prestigious as space citizen is going to get like £25-30k. Add maybe £4k employer costs for NI and pensions. That's only around $40k cost. Or one Legatus Whale bundle.

Also I bet they get a great employee discount on spaceships so really you have to add like 50% to make this a fair comparison to other jobs.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I guess LARPing as game developers doesn't pay as well as one would hope.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Star Atlas is now making fake "gameplay" trailers too, buy NFT Idrises now!

No sandiworm yet though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-pXQQUoYU0

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I’m intrigued in your gameplay and would like to buy an NFT for 10.000 bucks!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

JammyB posted:

Also I bet they get a great employee discount on spaceships so really you have to add like 50% to make this a fair comparison to other jobs.

gently caress no, if that was the case they could relist them on the grey market for profits.

You know that if they get anything, it's meticulously policed or locked to their employee account so no money can be made from anything employee exclusive.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

gently caress no, if that was the case they could relist them on the grey market for profits.

You know that if they get anything, it's meticulously policed or locked to their employee account so no money can be made from anything employee exclusive.

I don't think CIG are capable of doing anything meticulously

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ah, a a website add for a future kickstarter to support a book about how a kickstarter project went wrong. Star Citizen is back bay beeee

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

To bad i deleted my kickstarter account when they went all in on Blockchain.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Beet Wagon posted:

Ah, a a website add for a future kickstarter to support a book about how a kickstarter project went wrong. Star Citizen is back bay beeee

I'm getting seriously torqued, someone take my money!

Did I do it right?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Beet Wagon posted:

Please tell me there is a belt for early backers

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

tuo posted:

I’m intrigued in your gameplay and would like to buy an NFT for 10.000 bucks!

Sorry, buttcoin only.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

It's because upper management never knew, and never learned, how to scope a project and stick to a possible scope within the boundaries of cost and time and quality.

Sorry I wrecked your Kickstarter. :(

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Pixelate posted:

Seasons greetings all!

Please only PvP consensually

Participate Voluntarily Please

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

quote:

:reddit:
I have a degree in software engineering. I don't write code currently. I work in Service Delivery as a team lead doing Major incident response, problem management and change control. I'm in every PI planning session for our enterprise services and applications division, I'm in every ART sync meeting, I'm in daily standups and attend scrum. My team is the team that owns the platform we use for service delivery (ServiceNow and Jira) within our company.

That it was not on a 12 month road map we see does not mean it wasn't in backlog and had eyes on it. When you do long term PI planning and make decisions about priority, part of that is determining which things are not a priority right now, but will be eventually. THAT is where those tasks come from. Its really not that hard to understand...

Listen you God drat FUDsters I am part of the change control team and let me tell you that things being done that aren't on the 12 month road map is totally normal if you understand anything about game development...

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Why the gently caress do you need a kickstarter for a book? JK Rowling had to make typed copies of her manuscript because she couldn't afford to use a copy machine.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lammasu posted:

Why the gently caress do you need a kickstarter for a book? JK Rowling had to make typed copies of her manuscript because she couldn't afford to use a copy machine.

What about a book makes it any less appropriate for a Kickstarter than anything else?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What about a book makes it any less appropriate for a Kickstarter than anything else?

Google docs/open office/libre office/loving notepad is free and you can sell the resulting document through any number of storefronts, including ones that will print physical copies for you if you want.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

I can sell you a NBS (NFT-backed security) to hedge your pledges in case on a run on the JPEG market. Composite reverse-inverse derivatives are all the rage.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

History Comes Inside! posted:

Google docs/open office/libre office/loving notepad is free and you can sell the resulting document through any number of storefronts, including ones that will print physical copies for you if you want.

By that logic, listing a game on Steam is also (practically) free, so video games don't need kickstarters.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

By that logic, listing a game on Steam is also (practically) free, so video games don't need kickstarters.

You can write a book in your spare time, alone, without funding. (You can also make a small indie game the same way, and many do.) To Kickstart a book, they want their lives funded so they can concentrate on that 100%. Which means this is a "make my dream come true" Kickstarter, not a proposition of value. It smacks of "I deserve this, and the result will be so great, I'll let you pay for it."

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm not saying THIS book is a good value. I just find it a weird statement that books shouldn't be on kickstarter. They have as much right as any other media property, and writers should absolutely be supported while writing if the fans are willing to contribute.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, you should be free to scam people out of their money with the medium of your choice. Books are perfectly fine for that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kickstarter shouldnt even exist. Especially not in its current form. Its predatory bullshit.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I said come in! posted:

Kickstarter shouldnt even exist. Especially not in its current form. Its predatory bullshit.

i have good news for you. it's only going to get worse

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

Scruffpuff posted:

I guess LARPing as game developers doesn't pay as well as one would hope.

The Apollo crews didn't get extra pay, it was just part of the job and a gift to all humanity. The CIG code pioneers working on server meshing are basically the same if you think about it. Probably braver to touch that codebase if anything.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sankis posted:

i have good news for you. it's only going to get worse
But op, that's not good news :ohdear:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Scruffpuff posted:

You can write a book in your spare time, alone, without funding. (You can also make a small indie game the same way, and many do.) To Kickstart a book, they want their lives funded so they can concentrate on that 100%. Which means this is a "make my dream come true" Kickstarter, not a proposition of value. It smacks of "I deserve this, and the result will be so great, I'll let you pay for it."

You can also make a game alone without funding, Stardew Valley was made in this way as an example. This is a really silly argument.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 28, 2021

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

TheAgent posted:

Yo I wish someone would have told me the new Guardians of the Galaxy game was good because it is

Like it's drat good

This and FFVII remake were pleasant surprises (despite all the bullshit around FFVIIs port and platform)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
There are lots of things you can technically do unfunded, but being able to quit your job while you do them can only help.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
wait, so how many Idrises do I have to buy so Chris can quit his job and work on SC full time?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Rugz posted:

"I have a degree in software engineering. I don't write code currently. I work in Service Delivery as a team lead doing Major incident response, problem management and change control. I'm in every PI planning session for our enterprise services and applications division, I'm in every ART sync meeting, I'm in daily standups and attend scrum. My team is the team that owns the platform we use for service delivery (ServiceNow and Jira) within our company.

That it was not on a 12 month road map we see does not mean it wasn't in backlog and had eyes on it. When you do long term PI planning and make decisions about priority, part of that is determining which things are not a priority right now, but will be eventually. THAT is where those tasks come from. Its really not that hard to understand..."

Listen you God drat FUDsters I am part of the change control team and let me tell you that things being done that aren't on the 12 month road map is totally normal if you understand anything about game development...

A degree in software engineering is often a waste of time, but sometimes not. I'm going to assume that PI Planning and ART Sync are some agile bullshit going by the rest of this nonsense. I think this stuff might sound impressive to someone that doesn't know what he's talking about, they sound like a real pain in the rear end. Most of the first paragraph is jargon for "I attend a lot of meetings prescribed by Agile methodology". The rest is just describing the job of your basic ops team. Like, imagine being proud of being the ones tasked with managing the duelling garbage heaps of ServiceNow and Jira.

For a laugh, I googled PI Planning to see what I got and came across this image, which is apparently of the ideal PI Planning session.

I thank god I am not at a company that does this sort of thing. This is an image of $10,000+ being blown on what is probably a huge waste of time for 95% of the people in this picture.

Agile is a plague on software.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fidelitious posted:

A degree in software engineering is often a waste of time, but sometimes not. I'm going to assume that PI Planning and ART Sync are some agile bullshit going by the rest of this nonsense.

Yes, specifically "SAFE", Scaled Agile Framework. IE. "hmm Agile seems fun but we want to add in a whole bunch of management bullshit and employ 50 tiers of middle managers on top", ie. the bane of my existence.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
:lol: it's currently third most upvoted post on SC sub of all time

time to start selling new unannounced ship

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 28, 2021

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Fidelitious posted:

Agile is a plague on software.

I remember Agile from the late 90s/early 2000s. Back then it was just telling people to "be proactive".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Dwesa posted:

:lol: it's currently third most upvoted post on SC sub of all time

time to start selling new unannounced ship

As usual the faithful will do the following:

1. Memory hole
2. Claim this is only because Chris only allows the very best to be released ( we should be grateful )
3. "You don't understand development"
4. Just because it isn't there doesn't mean it isn't progressing
5. Sometime the developers realize certain development will give away key plot lines so hold back until release
6. It's there just on a special release no one else can see... Boy will you all be embarrassed!
7. "Development of the first AAAA game is hard! I am ready to wait as long as it takes!"
8. drat trolls! Why is there so much hate in your life you have to attack these poor, hard working developers!