Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Who has good plastic cutting boards with a groove / moat to catch juice and which don't warp in the dishwasher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

BrianBoitano posted:

Who has good plastic cutting boards with a groove / moat to catch juice and which don't warp in the dishwasher?

I’ve had my OXO cutting board for like 8 years and it’s still in great shape. Grooved side and flat side.

The groove is a little shallow, so it’s great for most stuff, but if you’re cutting a whole prime rib or something, you’ll overflow if you’re not careful.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Can second that. Happy with mine.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Joseph Joseph has the galaxy brain version https://us.josephjoseph.com/products/cut-and-carve-plus-chopping-board-black

Works fantastically, holds up, and you never have to think about overflowing

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My partner accidentally ordered the giant 15"x21" OXO board but I just wound up using it all the time and I love it.

It doesn't fit in my dishwasher so I hand wash it but I have four of the smaller ones as well and they do just fine without warping in the washer.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

My partner accidentally ordered the giant 15"x21" OXO board but I just wound up using it all the time and I love it.

It doesn't fit in my dishwasher so I hand wash it but I have four of the smaller ones as well and they do just fine without warping in the washer.

Thanks everyone! You especially, I had the 15 x 21 in my cart because I am not good at checking such things beforehand. By the way, Amazon is way more expensive than the Oxo site. Oxo had free shipping but only if you add one more item to your cart, so I ended up paying less than Amazon and getting a "free" wooden spatula since our current one is getting worn down after ~9 years :toot:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

Putting it in your dishwasher will dull your cutting board

e: Just because you ended up with the huge one, make sure it doesn't block your detergent dispenser hole thing. I couldn't figure out why my dishwasher was intermittently not doing anything and it turns out the pod was staying up in that hole and the water wasn't even getting to it because the huge cutting board was in the way.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 12, 2021

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I didn't end up with the huge one, I got 15" x 11" which is smaller than the half sheet pan I regularly wash with no issues 👍

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hopefully this is the right thread, apologies if it's not!

I'm looking at purchasing a new stove, probably in 2022. Our current one is a basic Frigidaire electric range, so we're looking to upgrade to an induction range. I've been poking around and doing some cursory research, wondering if anyone has tips or recs for pretty much anything regarding induction.

We're eyeing this 30 in. 5.4 cu. ft. Front Control Induction Range with Air Fry in Stainless Steel, but I'm just wondering about the price gap. That's the cheapest unit at HD, Lowes, and a local appliance store, with the next priciest unit being almost $1000 more. Is... there something I'm missing? Pretend I know fuckall about induction ranges, or stoves in general, other than how to operate one in a (relatively) passable fashion.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Hopefully this is the right thread, apologies if it's not!

I'm looking at purchasing a new stove, probably in 2022. Our current one is a basic Frigidaire electric range, so we're looking to upgrade to an induction range. I've been poking around and doing some cursory research, wondering if anyone has tips or recs for pretty much anything regarding induction.

We're eyeing this 30 in. 5.4 cu. ft. Front Control Induction Range with Air Fry in Stainless Steel, but I'm just wondering about the price gap. That's the cheapest unit at HD, Lowes, and a local appliance store, with the next priciest unit being almost $1000 more. Is... there something I'm missing? Pretend I know fuckall about induction ranges, or stoves in general, other than how to operate one in a (relatively) passable fashion.

We picked up a Frigidaire induction range from Best Buy about 6 years ago when we moved into this house, which was similarly cheap compared to the competition at the time and it’s been great so far. I groan inwardly (and sometimes outwardly) when forced to use a regular electric range now, induction is soooo nice. Less risk of burning yourself, heat things incredibly quickly, stupid easy to clean because nothing can burn onto it and get stuck… my only complaint is that it makes it functionally impossible to use a wok (Kenji claims you can work around this by working in small batches but eeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, and this is all inductions ranges unless you shell out $$$$$ for one with a special curved wok burner).

Edit: regarding the particular model you linked, I think +/- buttons instead of dials would get on my nerves, but I’d still rather have an induction range with buttons than a resistive range with dials.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 13, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Whoa I decided to google "induction wok burner" and apparently there are standalone models. I wonder how well those work

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Arcsech posted:

We picked up a Frigidaire induction range from Best Buy about 6 years ago when we moved into this house, which was similarly cheap compared to the competition at the time and it’s been great so far. I groan inwardly (and sometimes outwardly) when forced to use a regular electric range now, induction is soooo nice. Less risk of burning yourself, heat things incredibly quickly, stupid easy to clean because nothing can burn onto it and get stuck… my only complaint is that it makes it functionally impossible to use a wok (Kenji claims you can work around this by working in small batches but eeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, and this is all inductions ranges unless you shell out $$$$$ for one with a special curved wok burner).

Edit: regarding the particular model you linked, I think +/- buttons instead of dials would get on my nerves, but I’d still rather have an induction range with buttons than a resistive range with dials.

Tight, thanks! I'm not going to lose any sleep over the lack of wok usability, although that's ironic cause my parents just gifted me an old one they never use, lol.

This may be an unanswerable question but whatever: is paying to get rid of my older stove worth it? I'm just wondering if the ~$25 fee or whatever is worth it, or if anyone has had any luck selling a used stove for like, the same price or something on craigslist. I kinda feel like it's more effort than it's worth and I should just haul the old sucker away, but I've never bought a brand new appliance like this so :shrug:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Put it on craigslist for free and it will be gone within a day or two if you live in any decent sized metro area. There are plenty of people picking up scrap.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sometimes you don't even need to put it on CL - just put it near the curb with a "FREE" sign taped to it and it'll be grabbed by someone with a truck bed full of other junk in a half hour.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Anyone have any experience with the Ninja NeverStick Premium Hard-Anodized Cookware Set?

My parents are considering getting me a set as a housewarming/Christmas present, but I don't want them to spend the money on something that isn't worth it.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Annath posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Ninja NeverStick Premium Hard-Anodized Cookware Set?

My parents are considering getting me a set as a housewarming/Christmas present, but I don't want them to spend the money on something that isn't worth it.

Don’t buy this. You need, at most, a small (~8”) non-stick skillet, a large (10-12”) non-stick skillet, and a small (~1-2qt) non-stick sauce pot.

E. Other than that, you want, imo, a large carbon steel or stainless steel skillet, a large cast iron skillet, a large stainless steel stockpot, an enameled Dutch oven (4qt or bigger), and a small stainless steel sauce pot. There is basically nothing you cannot cook on a range with this set up.

E2. Also, depending on what you cook, many of the items above can serve double duty. That is, unless you make a lot of stock or large batches of soup, you can probably forgo the large stainless steel stock pot in favor of an enameled Dutch oven. Also, you can probably just get one large non stick skillet/pan and forgo both the non-stick small pan/pot.

E3. IMO, If you are looking for serviceable but affordable options, check out “lodge” for the Dutch oven and carbon steel/cast iron skillets and “tramontina tri-ply” for the stainless steel items. I also like my tramontina’s pro non-stick skillet, cause it doesn’t have any rivets in the cooking area (and is on sale now for less than 30 bucks even for a 12”)

Tramontina Fry Pan Professional Fusion 10-Inch, 80114/516DS, Made in Brazil https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8VUYT4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_PRKEFCTTPBWP7ZARGQ13?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 14, 2021

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Brother Tadger posted:

Don’t buy this. You need, at most, a small (~8”) non-stick skillet, a large (10-12”) non-stick skillet, and a small (~1-2qt) non-stick sauce pot.

E. Other than that, you want, imo, a large carbon steel or stainless steel skillet, a large cast iron skillet, a large stainless steel stockpot, an enameled Dutch oven (4qt or bigger), and a small stainless steel sauce pot. There is basically nothing you cannot cook on a range with this set up.

E2. Also, depending on what you cook, many of the items above can serve double duty. That is, unless you make a lot of stock or large batches of soup, you can probably forgo the large stainless steel stock pot in favor of an enameled Dutch oven. Also, you can probably just get one large non stick skillet/pan and forgo both the non-stick small pan/pot.

Seconded. I've basically given up on non-stick because they wear out. None of my other cookware needs to be replaced on a regular basis. I'd go with the one or two non-stick skillets at most

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'll just add that IMO if you're going for a few starter items, your larger non-stick pan should have high enough walls that you can do double duty with some pasta sauces etc without worrying about spilling. Also keeps your stovetop cleaner.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

When my wine fridge broke I put it up on Facebook for free and it was on some guy's truck 20 minutes later, I poo poo you not.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I'm a big fan of Bialetti's nonstick lineup of pans. They do eventually wear out, but they're solid and distribute heat well, and don't have rivets in the pan itself either.

Okay, when I was looking for links to put in here I discovered that they apparently no longer make the pans I like (the "Simply Italian" line) and all their stuff is dumb now and has the same dumb problems.

Edit 2: Or maybe they just don't sell them at Target or BB&B any more, but Amazon lists them. This design is pretty good and not terribly expensive.

Tricky Ed fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 15, 2021

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Tricky Ed posted:

I'm a big fan of Bialetti's nonstick lineup of pans. They do eventually wear out, but they're solid and distribute heat well, and don't have rivets in the pan itself either.

Okay, when I was looking for links to put in here I discovered that they apparently no longer make the pans I like (the "Simply Italian" line) and all their stuff is dumb now and has the same dumb problems.

Edit 2: Or maybe they just don't sell them at Target or BB&B any more, but Amazon lists them. This design is pretty good and not terribly expensive.

drat it I just bought new non stick, otherwise I’d get these. Not having exposed rivets is pretty great and those prices are very reasonable. I might get the 8” just for omelettes.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I got a set of basic Tramontina pots long enough ago that the person who gave it to me bought it in a local department store. they're nothing special but they're absolutely indestructible.

I like everything of theirs I've tried that's made in Brazil. (the stuff made in China seems to be more or less the same as anybody else's stuff made in China.)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Empty Sandwich posted:

I got a set of basic Tramontina pots long enough ago that the person who gave it to me bought it in a local department store. they're nothing special but they're absolutely indestructible.

I like everything of theirs I've tried that's made in Brazil. (the stuff made in China seems to be more or less the same as anybody else's stuff made in China.)

Going on year 8 of my tramontina tri-ply set and it's going strong

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Does anyone have an recommendations for nutri-bullet style small, smoothie blenders? My partner wants to add morning smoothies into her morning routine and we don't really have counter space for a full sized blender. I was generally happy with my room-mates nutri-bullet in the past but it definitely struck me as relatively low build quality overall.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Any recommendations on a reliable larger manual slow cooker? I have a 4 quart Rival that's served me well for 15 years, and it's still going strong, but there are times when an 8 quart would come in handy. I have no real need for digital control (and it's just another thing to go wrong), and don't want an Instant Pot or anything like that. Just a simple manual control that'll hold up forever.

Amazon has a set that looks nice in theory (Crock-Pot SCV803-SS), with both an 8 quart and the 16 ounce mini food warmer thing, but there are several reviews showing the insert self-destructing after one or two uses, and even the heating element/circuitry sometimes dying. I have a ~70 year old Westinghouse roaster that's still going strong, so there's no good reason for a similar but even simpler appliance to not be completely bulletproof. Is there anything new that'll last, or am I better off scouring thrift shops and estate sales (which I'm not at all opposed to)?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Thrift shops IMO. Nobody makes slow cookers that are actually slow anymore. BIG GUBMINT (I assume) made it so that even the "low" settings are a solid boil for food safety reasons (I assume).

I may have a modern Scandinavian kitchen aesthetic, but there will always be a brown and yellow 1970s crock pot there.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
My Food Saver isn't sealing completely again - the seals it's making have little gaps in them. I've taken to running multiple seal cycles and pushing down a little to try and help it make good contact but I'm not pleased.

I had one previously that stopped being able to pull a vacuum unless you pushed down in the middle - like it couldn't keep consistent pressure in the middle.

I'm kinda over the food saver and I'm thinking seriously about just jumping to a chamber vacuum sealer. Costco has the MaxVac Pro (LEM 1380) for $650. I did look at the ones on amazon but the cheaper ones have pretty shallow chambers - the MaxVac is still only 3.5" while the VacMaster models (VP210, VP230) are 5" deep on both models, while the ebay ones are 2" deep - that seems pretty shallow. And the "keep the lid pushed down while it's sealing or you could get sparks/fire/destroy the heater bar" is pretty lol - I think I'll pay a bit more for one with a latching bar.

Any thoughts? The Costco one seems ok as a starter (and if it ever has problems costco is great about taking it back), not sure it's worth paying 50-100% more for a slightly bigger chamber with the VP210 or VP230. Am I missing anything else?

$649 - https://www.lemproducts.com/product/maxvac-pro-chamber-sealer/all-vacuum-sealer-products

$999 - https://www.vacmasterfresh.com/vacmaster-vp210-maintenance-free-chamber-vacuum-sealer/

$1345 - https://www.vacmasterfresh.com/vacmaster-vp230-commercial-chamber-vacuum-sealer/

Has anyone used a chamber vacuum at higher elevations? I see the note there that the MaxVac may not work at altitudes above 1600 feet... I've kind of always wanted to move back to the Front Range sometime.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

My Food Saver isn't sealing completely again - the seals it's making have little gaps in them. I've taken to running multiple seal cycles and pushing down a little to try and help it make good contact but I'm not pleased.

Have you cleaned the heater bar inside to make sure there’s nothing stuck to it?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

I had one previously that stopped being able to pull a vacuum unless you pushed down in the middle - like it couldn't keep consistent pressure in the middle.

I'm kinda over the food saver and I'm thinking seriously about just jumping to a chamber vacuum sealer. Costco has the MaxVac Pro (LEM 1380) for $650. I did look at the ones on amazon but the cheaper ones have pretty shallow chambers - the MaxVac is still only 3.5" while the VacMaster models (VP210, VP230) are 5" deep on both models, while the ebay ones are 2" deep - that seems pretty shallow. And the "keep the lid pushed down while it's sealing or you could get sparks/fire/destroy the heater bar" is pretty lol - I think I'll pay a bit more for one with a latching bar.

Any thoughts? The Costco one seems ok as a starter (and if it ever has problems costco is great about taking it back), not sure it's worth paying 50-100% more for a slightly bigger chamber with the VP210 or VP230. Am I missing anything else?

$649 - https://www.lemproducts.com/product/maxvac-pro-chamber-sealer/all-vacuum-sealer-products

$999 - https://www.vacmasterfresh.com/vacmaster-vp210-maintenance-free-chamber-vacuum-sealer/

$1345 - https://www.vacmasterfresh.com/vacmaster-vp230-commercial-chamber-vacuum-sealer/

Has anyone used a chamber vacuum at higher elevations? I see the note there that the MaxVac may not work at altitudes above 1600 feet... I've kind of always wanted to move back to the Front Range sometime.

I’m in Denver and have used a VacMaster chamber vac at least 4 times per day for about 4 months. Works just fine, but we run a 22 second cycle instead of the 14 while I was in Austin.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
If you like spending lots of money and have loads of room in your kitchen, I’m sure a chamber vacuum sealer is nice, but for the vast majority of use cases a $25 vacuum sealer will be just as good. Only exception being soups or other liquids that you can’t freeze.

All you need it for is sucking the air out and sealing the bags, I wouldn’t bother unless you like burning cash on kitchen poo poo and have tons of room for appliances, and you definitely don’t need that room in the future for other poo poo (I would guess that you might)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Have you cleaned the heater bar inside to make sure there’s nothing stuck to it?

yep

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
imo still worth it to buy a cheap v2222 or v2244 foodsaver on ebay for 25-30 bucks and see if that works better. seems extreme to spend 600 bucks to resolve an issue with a sub-50 dollar tool...even if it is a better tool.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I also want the ability to pack soups/etc, I just want the chamber unit in general

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^^fair enough

I know there was at least one person in GWS who has an anova oven, has anyone else used it?

seems pretty neat and happens to be on sale

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

I have had the VP215 for a few years and would definitely recommend it if you have the space. It’s very heavy so you won’t want to be moving it around. I actually build a stand for it with casters and it stays inside my kitchen closet. The oil pump is far superior to the piston style dry pump used on the 210. It’s very quiet and pulls a really strong vac, I’ve never had to change the oil yet I just run it with the lid up occasionally to boil out any water it’s accumulated.

Sealing liquids is awesome and I use it a lot in cocktail preparation, which I do a ton of. Another huge advantage of a chamber is you can use standard vac pouches instead of the ones with the ribbing. I buy these in large quantity from a restaurant supply shop and they are several times cheaper than food saver style ones. They are even significantly cheaper than zip-top bags so I use them for almost everything. This helps offset the higher cost, but if we’re being honest the real reason for a chamber is because you want something that actually generates a vacuum rather than just removing air.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Is there a freezer shelf life difference between something packed with a Foodsaver vs. a vacuum chamber?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im not sure

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PolishPandaBear posted:

Is there a freezer shelf life difference between something packed with a Foodsaver vs. a vacuum chamber?

one of the reasons I was thinking about a chamber sealer is because I am having a fair number of bags let go. I don't mind super old stuff letting go, but I'm having a decent amount of what I'd consider infant mortality - 6 months or whatever isn't all that long. I just haven't been impressed with the quality of the seals. I've also had vacuum bags for sous-vide let go too (hot veggie baths at like 180-190 for 1h+ are brutal on seals) and that sucks. Sous vide suits my lifestyle and skills pretty well, so I really want a good workflow there.

anyway better seals will help prevent air leakage, which should help prevent freezer burn/etc, right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What do chamber vacs do differently in terms of sealing from foodsavers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

What do chamber vacs do differently in terms of sealing from foodsavers?
I think the main difference is supposed to be that by removing the air from the surrounding space, they effectively suck out the air inside and outside the bag at the same time, so there's no suction to the contents of the bag specifically, meaning that you can seal liquids with no problem. With foodsavers it's hard to get all the air out of liquids unless you freeze them before sealing which is somewhat time consuming and also allows to get food to get freezerburn before you seal it.

I guess if I won the lottery or something I would consider getting one for personal use.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 28, 2021