Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

My BAFTA voting friends are all about Power Of The Dog
Which was pretty but alright. I don't quite get the hype over it. I get what its going for, and it does it really well but eh. I'd pick the Snyder Cut above it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Not true. I find a great many things profoundly beautiful.

But Household Weapon chat should be depressing, because it denotes one of two things; either that a group of explicit leftists are paranoid enough, fearful enough, and have so little faith in their fellow human beings, that they feel they need to arm themselves and be prepared for violence at any moment. Or, worse, that they're right to do so.

I don't think 'you may as well have fun' about preparing to hurt or kill someone for stealing your stuff. Perhaps that makes me privileged or naive, I am completely open to those charges. Nevertheless, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I was just messing man, it is depressing. I feel like our attitudes to some things are at odds but you’re a good egg and I love you same as every other oval office in the thread. I suppose I’m just a bit irreverent to these things some times cos if I wasn’t I’d probably just off myself

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it is helpful to imagine that the process of thinking about "what would I do in a fight" as well as the occasional improvised weapon is really more just doing a ritual and making talismans to ward off bad spirits.

In that it is about equally helpful and also equally likely to be practically useful in the situation, but doing it can make you feel better.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yeah I reckon Owly's got the right of it. I think it's more that it's the kind of idle thing that occupies the brain, maybe it makes some folks feel safer to run through some scenarios or whatever (Hell I do it with zombie attacks so...) more than like, US militia style jonesing for the chance to shoot people. Like I expect in an actual fight my response would be "Yeah fine here's my money" because it's honestly not worth me OR someone else getting hurt but, as was said, not everyone's in the same situation.

crispix posted:

both times i just shouted in a high voice WHAT YA DOIN WHAT YA DOIN like that and thankfully nothing more happened but it's better to be prepared imo

tbf shouting Norn Iron people have powers of intimidation and emanations of craziness thatn most folks can't hope to attain :v:

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Good take on Don’t Look Up: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2021/12/critics-of-dont-look-up-are-missing-the-entire-point

quote:

I can tell that a leftist, rather than a liberal, was behind the storyline for this film, precisely because it does not say what some reviewers think it does. This is not the film Idiocracy, depicting us all as dumb consumerist sheeple. This is a film with great faith in humanity, and cynicism only about the institutions we have built and the particular people who hold power.
[…]
It is a similar moral to Albert Camus’ “Myth of Sisyphus”: the near-certainty of failure should not lead to resignation, but to even more determination. To end your life contentedly and without regrets, you need to know that you tried, regardless of the outcome.

My main takeaway from christmas this year is that starve-the-beast has worked totally on my dad, he’s lost faith in the NHS because his friend has had an - admittedly - awful experience of it recently and doesn’t think it could be saved with proper funding because…well, Good Things Aren’t Possible.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I think that's broadly true and it's a shame Current Affairs Nathan is such a hypocritical fancylad disappointment

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Juche Couture posted:

Good take on Don’t Look Up: https://www.currentaffairs.org/2021/12/critics-of-dont-look-up-are-missing-the-entire-point

My main takeaway from christmas this year is that starve-the-beast has worked totally on my dad, he’s lost faith in the NHS because his friend has had an - admittedly - awful experience of it recently and doesn’t think it could be saved with proper funding because…well, Good Things Aren’t Possible.

Guardian did an article on that today or yesterday. One in four people think the same way as your dad.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

There was a parliamentary committee discussion on the NHS late this month where it was said that their expectation was that the waiting list will be as bad as it is now until at least 2024, so there's no recovery plan. Given the impact of Omicron in Jan-Feb and the exodus of staff from Feb-Mar due to the vaccine mandate I will expect discussions of the collapse of the NHS to start in April and legislation moving the country to a primarily private system to come towards the end of the year. It'll be phrased as an emergency measure to provide some kind of healthcare for people but then it'll just be how healthcare is.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah I reckon Owly's got the right of it. I think it's more that it's the kind of idle thing that occupies the brain, maybe it makes some folks feel safer to run through some scenarios or whatever (Hell I do it with zombie attacks so...) more than like, US militia style jonesing for the chance to shoot people. Like I expect in an actual fight my response would be "Yeah fine here's my money" because it's honestly not worth me OR someone else getting hurt but, as was said, not everyone's in the same situation.

Yeah I definitely don't have an improvised weapon in the house because anyone who wasn't just a typical burglar spooked by shouting would just take it off me. Now that's depressing but thankfully the probability of that happening is pretty low, maybe not as low as I'd like after my housemate (rightfully) gave a statement about an assault she witnessed on our road. Ambiguous feelings about the landlords having a CCTV camera on the front garden have become less ambiguous.

Re: that NHS survey, at least about half of people seem to blame the government for it. But that's a bit useless now, we've got many more years of Tories sneakily or not so sneakily privatising the NHS so it can "cope".

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Juche Couture posted:

This is pretty good, but I do think the film needed to be somewhat sharper in its critiques of the libs. Crack pinged leftists are gonna see the concert scene for the utter farce it is, but I'm not sure anyone vaguely centrist will get the message/be converted.

I think it also needed Timothee Chalamet to beat Jonah Hill to death with his skateboard. For a film in which Literally everyone loving dies it maybe pulled a few punches at the end.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't really see how you can effectively "privatise" the elements of the NHS that are under strain because private enterprise doesn't do that stuff and never has.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You privatize the profitable parts but say that you're doing it to reduce strain on the organization as a whole and then the whole thing gets worse. It worked with rail and water and electricity.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Day four of covid: symptoms simply refusing to change. Officially bored of it now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The profitable parts are already privatised though, and when they become unprofitable they dump them on the public part.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The only reason to buy parts that are under strain is so you can scuttle it and blame the crisis for its failings as you transfer all those profitable nurses and other resources to other projects.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Pub wisdom so take it with a pinch of salt, but I've heard having a specific "welcome stick" can actually end up working against a plea of self-defence because it shows a degree of premeditation. I do know you can get charged with going equipped and/or possession of an offensive weapon if you do have anything that could be used as a weapon within easy reach in your car and you happen to piss off the wrong copper.

Also a sledgehammer makes a *terrible* self-defence weapon, especially in close quarters. Take the head off though and the handle makes an *extremely* useful tool for all sorts of things.

Ages ago this, but I read something like this in the book "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". The security dude assessing the house for alarms and poo poo told the woman not to have a golf club by the front door as it showed premeditation and she'd be in trouble.

But this is a book of fiction and Sweden, so who knows.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

Day four of covid: symptoms simply refusing to change. Officially bored of it now.

Day Two and my voice is hosed and a minor headache but otherwise fine. Meh

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

jacksbrat posted:

Yeah I definitely don't have an improvised weapon in the house

Not even a rolling pin or something?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

Back when I was young I'd gone out shopping with my mum. My dad was alone in the house and fell asleep in a chair, he woke up and went to the kitchen to get a drink to find someone standing inside after climbing in through an open window. He threw a punch at my dad and received a bit of a beating in return. This caused my dad to be arrested until the police sorted out what had happened and he was released. My mum was angry because the guy could have grabbed a knife as there were a few on the work top, my dad's response was just to shrug and say he'd have smacked him anyway. I know that avoiding conflict is the best way but sometimes these people break into houses of someone that actually really likes conflict.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I don't really see how you can effectively "privatise" the elements of the NHS that are under strain because private enterprise doesn't do that stuff and never has.

It's not about privatising A&E/cancer treatment/etc., but surely outsourcing and adding privatised frameworks can be spun as freeing up funding for core parts of the NHS, while not actually freeing up any funding (obviously). Stuff like the Integrative Care Boards is pretty worrying if private interests can both receive NHS-funded healthcare contracts and be represented on the boards awarding those contracts.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Not even a rolling pin or something?
Lmao that's the bobby (bobbette?) who came to get my housemate's statement

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Four-day orgy of b00lskhg starts tonight.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

The profitable parts are already privatised though, and when they become unprofitable they dump them on the public part.

A whole lot of the damage is already done yeah but it'll be things like allowing more self referrals for treatments, less restrictions on advertising services, less restrictions on private healthcare poaching NHS staff, less limits on private beds in NHS facilities. A real two stream service appearing with real impacts on outcomes.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How bad have England been in the cricket. Thanks Brexit.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
You privatise the failing parts of the NHS and then the failure is no longer the fault of the government but of the individual companies, nothing we can do about it, regulation is bureaucratic red tape stifling innovation and renationalising is corbynistic woke communism

Only Kindness posted:

Aw yeah, i love a good boolskig, me. Can't get enough of balishkraheg.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Only Kindness posted:

For some reason I know you're talking about Only Connect, and yeah it's good

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bessantj posted:

So bad.

Here thread, have something truly heartwarming

https://twitter.com/steamedhamms/status/1475041964630421510?t=PyyOE6AWB-z18c0_A0BKkA&s=08

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Day Two and my voice is hosed and a minor headache but otherwise fine. Meh
My symptoms aren't particular bad, it's the lack of change that is frustrating. I just want some improvement to point towards my body clearing out the virus. I'm not feeling confident I'm going get get clear flow tests on the 6 & 7th days.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

bessantj posted:

its all the fault of political correctness wokery actually.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

How are you meant to be good at cricket if the woke brigade cancel you for using so called racial slurs?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

its all the fault of political correctness wokery actually.

Oh yeah, England can't score runs because it offends the gays.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

bessantj posted:

Oh yeah, England can't score runs because it offends the gays.

Most players are also transitioning so they could beat cis women in women's league and go to ladys' rooms and harass little girls.

Am I forgetting anything?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Most players are also transitioning so they could beat cis women in women's league and go to ladys' rooms and harass little girls.

Am I forgetting anything?

Something about not being allowed to bowl googleys any more after golliwogs were banned.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can't even call your left arm spin bowling a dated term for an oriental without being called a racist these days.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

And if England do beat the West Indies or India they're just called colonizers.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
My boomer dad is coming out with all the boomer classics today

"what I like about Jeremy Clarkson is, he tells it like it is, he doesn't care what anyone thinks, that's why I like him"

kill me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"tells it like it is" of course being "affirms my biases" because if you told it like it actually is he wouldn't think it was very good.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My boomer dad is coming out with all the boomer classics today

"what I like about Jeremy Clarkson is, he tells it like it is, he doesn't care what anyone thinks, that's why I like him"

kill me

i guess he cared what they thought when he took out that super injunction

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Howling this morning that the security minister is making the common-sense argument that lockdowns will increase terrorism and that we should care about this, implying some hilariously dark things about our national priorities and the value of human life

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
if we're not distracted by labouring and consuming we might start having ideas about how to run a fairer society —and that's basically terrorism— so lockdown bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Recent history of course suggests that when everyone is at home, not travelling or congregating in public spaces, that is where they are most likely to be terrorismed.