Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

scary ghost dog posted:

you can run just a little further to get the gravelord sword, which is significantly stronger

In the early game sure, but the scythe scales far better and once you gain the ability to infuse it, it leaves the gravelord sword in the dust. It also has one of the best movesets in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

the scythe is ok

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

In the early game sure, but the scythe scales far better and once you gain the ability to infuse it, it leaves the gravelord sword in the dust. It also has one of the best movesets in the game.

thats a meme. its a fine weapon, like every other weapon in the game, but its nothing special

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

It's not exactly a meme. I think it's sincere. With a few exceptions the best Souls weapon is the one with the moveset you like and the best stats for that moveset.

The scythe has great stats and a moveset a lot of people love. So to a lot of people it is the best weapon.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Zweihander is literally like 20 feet from the bonfire and trivializes almost all the content in the game, no need for catacomb meme runs

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

or there's just a bunch of good weapons in the game that might make stuff easier for you if the moveset clicks with you

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Just speedrun to the parish and farm a Balder Side Sword. :v:

This has additional benefit of netting you tons of souls and titanite.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Perfect Potato posted:

Zweihander is literally like 20 feet from the bonfire and trivializes almost all the content in the game, no need for catacomb meme runs

The Legend never dies.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

The Legend never dies.

Oh no, he's gonna make a 7 hour long video on how the left are the real racists

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

RareAcumen posted:

Oh no, he's gonna make a 7 hour long video on how the left are the real racists

Is Only Afro a CHUD or is this a reference I'm missing. I know nothing about Only Afro besides laughing at their videos back when.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
There's something very funny watching Pat complain that Nioh 2 isn't a near exact clone of Dark Souls in his streams, he wants the mission structure to be replaced by just having open world areas but mocks people saying that would ruin the Diablo aspect of farming for gear as he doesn't personally care about it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Judge Tesla posted:

There's something very funny watching Pat complain that Nioh 2 isn't a near exact clone of Dark Souls in his streams, he wants the mission structure to be replaced by just having open world areas but mocks people saying that would ruin the Diablo aspect of farming for gear as he doesn't personally care about it.
Him dropping Nioh 2 is the most dissapointing thing since the 2021 game awards

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Grouchio posted:

Him dropping Nioh 2 is the most dissapointing thing since the 2021 game awards

he dropped it? I thought Pat was enjoying it. drat, oh well then.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Pat streams are pretty bad

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pat is practically the only streamer I like.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Depths posted:

:yeah:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
They're good when he pays the right amount of attention and it's a game I like. I watched his and woolie's disco elysium playthroughs and cherished them. Lord knows how most streamers would engage with that game.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

UP AND ADAM posted:

They're good when he pays the right amount of attention and it's a game I like. I watched his and woolie's disco elysium playthroughs and cherished them. Lord knows how most streamers would engage with that game.

I agree with that, his Endwalker streams were good too because he genuinely cares about the game and the lore

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
I'm still having a great time watching his Mass Effect streams.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Is Only Afro a CHUD or is this a reference I'm missing. I know nothing about Only Afro besides laughing at their videos back when.

I dunno if he is or not, I was making a joke at Sargon of Akkad's expense because he is a CHUD.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 27, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Depths posted:

nah

his metroid dread streams were fantastic, and his guardians of the galaxy stream was really good, smart of him to not play the whole thing on streamer mode because a huge part of the game is the licensed soundtrack adding to a bunch of key scenes, but it's a bummer we miss out on what would've undoubtedly been a great streaming series

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Pat's Nioh 2 stream made it really clear it wasn't just the loot and stat related mind goblins that caused him to bounce off of the first game.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

pat, much like any vtuber, is best viewed through a collection of funny clips

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Overlord K posted:

Pat's Nioh 2 stream made it really clear it wasn't just the loot and stat related mind goblins that caused him to bounce off of the first game.

He just wants it to be exactly like Dark Souls but set in Japan, which is fine I guess but Nioh's mission structure is what sets it apart from the hordes of other Souls-likes.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

RareAcumen posted:

I dunno if he is or not, I was making a joke at Sargon of Akkad's expense because he is a CHUD.

Ohhhh the mask, yeah, I guess I see it lol.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Overlord K posted:

The stat stuff was pretty funny though, like the half hour chat had to spend convincing him that max familiarity means bigger number

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm glad Nioh has a fanbase because Ubisoft granularity + Souls bullshit makes me hiss like a vampire seeing a cross.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Nioh succeeds where darksouls fails by giving me an actually fun to use moveset and layering its subsystems so you can freely try out everything and dip into poo poo for basically any build. You get to do DMC combos going from low to high stance ki charging to get the reposition on tonfa, shoulder checking them to knock them back to get better range for the split staff that you're swapping to while throwing down caltrops and magic spell talismans while you shmix guys up with guard pole vault tech.

Dark souls instead are like "drat this weapon is so loving good, it's got a 59 degree swing AND A thrusting attack if you step back far enough to sprint at the enemy this poo poo is loving broken, holy poo poo." and " Oh I'm not spending levels to raise both magic and the magic slot stats which are separate stats because the ranged spell that does less damage than the basic bow was considered too powerful to just be able to try out". and that can be fun. Well the first part at least. DS3 and now Elden Ring learned that it's cool and fun to give every weapon special bullshit they can do without having to fully focus on doing that one specific thing.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I like them both. Dark souls is about getting to and past the boss; Nioh is about getting loot and levelling up your skills, so yeah they better make it in depth and interesting. In dark souls it's a means to an end, in Nioh it is the end.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I've beaten Nioh 1 and played 2 but it felt like almost a reskin of the first game. The mission structure in Nioh really sucks, none of the levels are interesting

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

UP AND ADAM posted:

I like them both. Dark souls is about getting to and past the boss; Nioh is about getting loot and levelling up your skills, so yeah they better make it in depth and interesting. In dark souls it's a means to an end, in Nioh it is the end.

I think they're both good but Nioh is also just as much about getting to and past the boss and Dark souls is. It's got a much bigger emphasis on it even since it's way way way more focused on its combat systems that Dark Souls ever has been.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'm wrapping up the main story of Nioh 2 and I'll jump into the DLC afterwards. My comments are: combat does feel really great. The ki pulse/stance swapping rhythm and when to slot in special attacks are all fun and satisfying and technical in a way more in line with learning Monster Hunter weapons than Dark Souls. I like the flexibility of its respeccing and I know it lets you get even more technical with reallocating damage scaling on weapons that opens up a huge variety of builds.

I don't really dig the Diablo/looter shooter item drop system. It doesn't matter much on base NG, I know, but it's annoying inventory cleanup between missions at this point. The mission setup is kind of repetitive, even if the optional ones are preeminently skippable, but the game is built with it in mind and it'd be a big changeup to things like the healing system and way you acquire equipment and soul cores if it was a seamless overworld you run around in. The kind of changes that would definitely take a bite out of the way combat and builds feel good. I wouldn't mind if it let you warp between shrines on some of the big mission levels in case you missed something and fell into a point of no return though.

I don't really blame Pat for dropping off. I'm enjoying the combat and related systems enough to keep playing but nothing else is making me stick with it.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 27, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I think what really click Nioh2 for me over DS3 which I bounced off 3 times before finally getting through it (Besides DS3 being an over correction of how different DS2's setting and story were based on the loudest babies in the fandom so now every 3 feet in DS3 there's a new loving DS1 reference/recreation/literally loving up a beautiful and unique level and zone by going 'Forget that look it's that DS1 Place again WOAAAAH') was that Nioh at least gives you some ability to actually control enemy movement and positioning. If I needed to get a guy to a spot or to pivot around him I can do that with some technical skill and moves. Dark souls always felt like you're kind of just at the mercy of whatever the AI decides is pathfinding today so if they decide to physics to the side and put you in a bad spot you're usually just kind of hosed unless you're using one of the weapons with any area control.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
DS2 has you literally fight ornstein and the bell gargoyles again, there is literally a hurr durr remember capra demon hallway right after the latter, nevermind the quelaag scorpion knockoff and the "hehehe my master was constantly Seething lmao get it" bullshit that permeates the writing or whatever they were thinking with the four lord souls. And worst of all they copy pasted the asylum chamber pot for their generic pot so there are entire rooms in DS2 that are quite literally full of poo poo, much like its fanbase in a way

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

You seem very normal and not weird at all.

Ah well as Patches says in DS3 "A fine dark soul to you!"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

bit of a pot calling the kettle black, huh?

DS3 good and fun, and generally more gooder and funner then DS2.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, I've pretty much established that Souls Fans Are The Worst, that's independent of what game they prefer, so...

I played a bit of the first Nioh and Ubisoft's granular upgrades just made it feel like it was a Dark Souls with more busywork.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

A gift for SuperEyepatch Wolf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP63hxOrezw

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I got through about 3/4s of the original Nioh before I got so sick of dealing with all the loot that I quit the game and haven't tried the second one at all even though I really liked the actual gameplay. Diablo-style loot is terrible in anything outside of Diablo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I wish I could like Nioh but I played the first one for about two hours and it just did not take at all. It's a shame cuz I love Dark Souls and I love loot-based games, but when I played it, Nioh just felt like it was deliberately making everything as obtuse and unpleasant to play as possible.