Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I do wonder if covid had come out of the middle east and some Muslims had gone on TV cackling about how it was them that made it and crowing periodically about how many people it was killing, the west would actually have given a poo poo about preventing people becoming sick because now it was "terrorism"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The US didn't seem to give a poo poo about it when it was a chinese bioweapon, so I doubt it.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
If a terrorist sect was killing 150 people a day every day for nearly two years people would get up in arms but unfortunately a virus isn't a race (see also attempts to geographically source the virus/variants as inherently chinese/kentish/south african/indian/south american) so they don't care.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
China didn't go on TV to say "hahaha gently caress you west" though. If they did (I know it would be absurd, but if they did) I think the west might have made a better effort at stopping the virus spreading

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
He literally mentions a growth in right wing extremism from nerds stuck in their bedrooms too. I don't really see the issue with what he's said.

Like when people said they think lockdowns are bad for mental health reasons in general was that also something that shouldn't have been said?

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 27, 2021

Whitey Snipes
Nov 30, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

He literally mentions a growth in right wing extremism from nerds stuck in their bedrooms too. I don't really see the issue with what he's said.

Like when people said they think lockdowns are bad for mental health reasons in general was that also something that shouldn't have been said?

I've had at least 5 of my cases (Probation) get pulled down the extreme right rabbit-hole via anti-lockdown or COVID-conspiracy stuff, all men aged between 18-40. Other colleagues have had similar issues. It might be a drop in the bucket compared to the actual COVID response stuff but anecdotally it does seem to be a bit of a problem.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Whitey Snipes posted:

I've had at least 5 of my cases (Probation) get pulled down the extreme right rabbit-hole via anti-lockdown or COVID-conspiracy stuff, all men aged between 18-40. Other colleagues have had similar issues. It might be a drop in the bucket compared to the actual COVID response stuff but anecdotally it does seem to be a bit of a problem.

Sorry maybe I was unclear but I agree, I dont think it is silly for the minister whose job it is to care about this stuff to mention it.

Whitey Snipes
Nov 30, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Sorry maybe I was unclear but I agree, I dont think it is silly for the minister whose job it is to care about this stuff to mention it.

I agree with you, was just building on what you mentioned with my experience. It also feels impossible to discuss anything with them, it's just very frustrating knowing how the rabbit-hole works and the tactics they use and still not being able to do anything to stop people disappearing.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The government is only caring because this particular form of emotionally distressing isolation and listlessness also damages capitalisms ability to function though. Otherwise it's fine for people to suffer through it.

The only alternative which is going to successfully challenge it is a working class organisation offering liberation from capitalist oppression and probably also vengence lol

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The thing I like about Jeremy Corbyn is, he tells it like it is.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

The US didn't seem to give a poo poo about it when it was a chinese bioweapon, so I doubt it.
Far from it, when the nutcase fringe though it was brewed in a lab they saw it as their civic duty to prove 'murica is tougher than anything the dang chinee can throw at them.

E: very similar to the uk headbangers going on about their immune system. Some people seem to be taking it as a challenge.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

NotJustANumber99 posted:

to be charitable, it's nice to see a tory clarify that he's not actually talking about muslims for once, and it is much more sound as a concept than most tory ideas about terrorism

to be critical, I'd probably want the minister of a government with such an atrocious pandemic response to point out that it's a statistical irrelevance compared to both the general context of the pandemic and the general context of things that cause terrorism in the uk. I'd also want the minister of a government to bother to have actually done some analysis relating to his portfolio they could make an argument slightly better than "well if you think about it", and to not make an essentially meaningless statement that is also, coincidentally, a dogwhistle attack on potential public safety measures.

So making a statement is ok! making this statement raises questions.

Whitey Snipes posted:

yeah, a lot of people don't handle a combination of high stress and free time very well. We can look at poland, hungary, spain, or greece and see that having extreme-right conspiracist mps constantly mouthing off is probably a bigger problem than lockdowns are, though

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Had a call from my brother saying he tested positive on an LFT so he's booked a PCR test. I was at his house Christmas day for dinner so I've taken a LFT and it has come back negative. Have ordered more and will do another test when one arrives.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

bessantj posted:

Had a call from my brother saying he tested positive on an LFT so he's booked a PCR test. I was at his house Christmas day for dinner so I've taken a LFT and it has come back negative. Have ordered more and will do another test when one arrives.

If there's a centre convenient for you to get to, just go ahead and book the PCR test as a close contact of someone who's tested positive.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Apparently no new restrictions to be announced today.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Far from it, when the nutcase fringe though it was brewed in a lab they saw it as their civic duty to prove 'murica is tougher than anything the dang chinee can throw at them.

E: very similar to the uk headbangers going on about their immune system. Some people seem to be taking it as a challenge.

What doesn't kill you means you recover fully or end up wit potentially life changinh chronic disease.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jakabite posted:

Apparently no new restrictions to be announced today.

The government dashboard should update though so even with way reduced Christmas numbers it'll be interesting to see what we end up at.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

yeah, a lot of people don't handle a combination of high stress and free time very well. We can look at poland, hungary, spain, or greece and see that having extreme-right conspiracist mps constantly mouthing off is probably a bigger problem than lockdowns are, though
Yeah it's this. The 'extreme right' seems to mean little other than "do what the gently caress you want as long as you're a straight white man" in terms of ideology, with any claimed attachment to crown or church or nation being more a surface level justification for being a oval office than anything else, and it really doesn't help that there's a bunch of supposedly 'mainstream' people in public office following the "millions to build a wave machine to murder refugees, not one cotton mask to avoid mouthbreathing over nurses" ideology themselves.

A bunch of white men aged between 18-40 finding it more compelling an idea that all the Jews and Bill Gates conspired to shut their local for a few weeks than that public health exists or that they owe even the slightest obligation to society is worrying, but the cause is far more likely the rest of the social messaging they're receiving, not that the government did manage to eventually do something.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If there's a centre convenient for you to get to, just go ahead and book the PCR test as a close contact of someone who's tested positive.

Most annoying thing about that is there was a test centre literally 5 seconds walk from my house, now I don't know where it is.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Figures out, only England reporting and it's still 98,000 or more for each of the last 3 days.

Tories desperately trying not to appear desperate and waiting until parliament sits on the 5th before taking any more action.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

namesake posted:

Figures out, only England reporting and it's still 98,000 or more for each of the last 3 days.

Tories desperately trying not to appear desperate and waiting until parliament sits on the 5th before taking any more action.

I think they're praying that the London numbers are genuine and not just an artifact of everyone going home for Christmas - cases *appear* to have plateaued on the same timescale as they did in Johannesburg with considerably less severe disease than expected despite London being the least-vaccinated region of the UK.

TBH though even if it turns out that this is a false dawn (there's literally no scientific reason to believe this is anything other than Christmas disruption messing with the numbers) it's already way too late to stop it - millions of people travelled out from London and the other cities to the regions like so many lung-destroying dandelion seeds over the past few days, so numbers are going to go loving *ballistic* over the next few weeks, so anything but the harshest restrictions starting today are going to result in the NHS being overwhelmed by the first few weeks of January if it turns out Omicron is any worse in the UK than it was in SA.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

imo cases have been either been underreported or people who might usually regularly test have avoided testing entirely in order to not lose seeing family for christmas

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It really is like climate change isn't it. Each little wave of covid is like climate change. The longer we wait the more drastic the action we have to take to avert disaster until oops too late we're all hosed

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Hmmm yes only a headcase would think that the pandemic's origin had something to do with the coronavirus gain of function research that was taking place in the same city it was first detected in

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mugsbaloney posted:

Hmmm yes only a headcase would think that the pandemic's origin had something to do with the coronavirus gain of function research that was taking place in the same city it was first detected in

Write a thousand-word explanation about what "gain of function" means in this context with proper sources or gently caress off back to Infowars.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Write a thousand-word explanation about what "gain of function" means in this context with proper sources or gently caress off back to Infowars.

I thought about responding but what difference does it make if it accidentally escaped or was contracted naturally? We are still in exactly the same position.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Tested positive for COVID today and have symptoms that feel like a really awful cold. Got the whole holiday period off work and a load of Warhammer for Christmas, and I’m too sick to put any together.

Stay safe goons.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It really is like climate change isn't it. Each little wave of covid is like climate change. The longer we wait the more drastic the action we have to take to avert disaster until oops too late we're all hosed

Yup.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sure here's a few- " Research for to make virus deadlier on basis that it can be used to study and pre empt dangerous evolutionary changes." For the rest imagine I typed the phrase gently caress off oval office a few hundred times

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mugsbaloney posted:

Sure here's a few- " Research for to make virus deadlier on basis that it can be used to study and pre empt dangerous evolutionary changes." For the rest imagine I typed the phrase gently caress off oval office a few hundred times

Here’s a question: why does it matter? What difference does it make if it escaped or was contracted naturally?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

therattle posted:

Here’s a question: why does it matter? What difference does it make if it escaped or was contracted naturally?

If it was proved to have escaped from a lab it'd probably mean less germ warfare in future

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
been a while since we had an actual deranged conspiracy nut ITT

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

therattle posted:

Because a random, naturally occurring virus which can gently caress up the world is terrifying to them.
They do not possess the emotional tools to deal with that.
Badman is bad and did bad thing is something they can process.

It's all about their feels.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

is this a real wild occurrence of ~the chinese virus~ because lol if so

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Mugsbaloney posted:

You sure are a mug, and you also talk a lot of baloney.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I thought the latest official position was that it is very likely natural in origin but there's no conclusive evidence either way.

Doesn't exactly seem like tinfoil hat territory.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
as far as I can tell the theory boils down to "virus bad, China bad, therefore virus made by China wake up sheeple"

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What about aliens?

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

therattle posted:

It might have implications for the field of immunology for a start, and the people who attempted to obfuscate it's origins.

I haven't been able to find anything that convincingly refutes this article from earlier in the year- iirc at the time people in this thread pointed out that some of those associated with a prior article were some sort of racist phrenologists, but didn't really engage with the argument

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/06/the-lab-leak-theory-inside-the-fight-to-uncover-covid-19s-origins?intcid=inline_amp

The issue for some reason became politicised as can be seen by the reaction of the hooting chimp upthread, but I don't see why that should prevent anyone from being interested in why it happened. Regardless of who their imagined fellow travellers are

In response to the comments above, if someone wants to refute the points actually made in the article, I'm all ears.

Mugsbaloney fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
saj says open a window (if you can)