Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Ah jeez, Tom Scott. Get it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/DavidJBradley1/status/1475336886503845893

FWIW

Anyway, this sucks. I wasn't aware of the full extent of this myself.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, yeah, Bearup was the sensible armor woman who seemed really cool and that was like two days before I learned of the TERF-y part. I didn't know she'd gone back that far, either with the phobia or to CA. Bearup seems to have been on YouTube for a while but no video has like super breakout numbers save one or two

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/ThoughtSlime/status/1475261223264571392

I admire Thoughtington Slimebus' skill at both poking fun of Destiny and also making a good point.

Destiny being such an aggro baby and talking about how people couldn't handle his life is so funny when he's got the easiest job imaginable and has thoroughly outkicked his coverage.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Is Jill Bearup still on Nebula? Looks like her page and storefront are blank there now. I assume she was dumped at some point after the mask-slip, but never went back and deleted the Nebula promotions out of old video of hers?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nuns with Guns posted:

Is Jill Bearup still on Nebula? Looks like her page and storefront are blank there now. I assume she was dumped at some point after the mask-slip, but never went back and deleted the Nebula promotions out of old video of hers?

I'unno how she slipped through the vetoing process but we are a pretty good example of how these things happen, I suppose.

Kinda sucks that "into swordplay and medieval poo poo" is more often than not a red flag, sometimes you wanna watch someone talk about brigandines at length without feeling like they're gonna say some dumb poo poo at any moment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just watch Matt Easton he's good for historical stuff.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

For swordplay I don't really have anything, but Medieval Death Trip and the Histocrat are both pretty good podcasts medieval folklore and books.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byoCgCrd_dI

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It didn’t come across as a complete disaster but I knew The Division wasn’t going to gel with Ross very well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Conversations about Star Wars and Zack Snyder movies are old hat in here so I'd say this is relevant enough to post.

https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/1475137705134768138

Sounds like they were intending to add Jet Li's choreography to the archive so the AI could generate a fight scene again like how Avengers: Endgame went.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oTfH90psC4

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Tom Scott responded: https://www.tomscott.com/fightscene/

Donating the video's earnings is the best way to go really. As far as the conversation he had with Jill goes, guess the ball's pretty much in her court.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

You really can't do much better then that. Seems good faith and I'm glad he honestly responded.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Kim Justice posted:

Donating the video's earnings is the best way to go really. As far as the conversation he had with Jill goes, guess the ball's pretty much in her court.

Pretty solid apology. Good to know Scott's not a transphobe. :unsmith:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kim Justice posted:

Wow, quite a comprehensive response. Good on him.

I remember unsubscribing to the puppeteer Barnaby Dixon because he platformed a transphobe and then didn’t respond at all. Glad this is different.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Given the rest of his output, I would have been genuinely shocked if he had ignored it or doubled down. He generally keeps his personal beliefs close to his chest but I don't think you could have the kind of channel he does unless you're an open and accepting sort of person.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Didn’t know about Jill Bearup. I saw some of her videos and went “neat but a bit too focused on pop culture for me”, disappointing to hear that she’s a terf and seems to hate autistic people besides.

You can’t trust anyone from the UK can you

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Jamie Faith posted:

Or someone who views transphobia as just a difference of opinion.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jamie Faith posted:

This aint it

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Gotta do weeks of research to check whether trans people are the devil or not

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

quote:

no, Jill does not seem to hold all the views that people are ascribing to her, and I don’t believe she holds views that justify taking down an already-published video and disavowing her. But there are some things I definitely disagree with, and some things that are so far outside my sphere of knowledge that I would need to spend days or weeks researching before feeling even vaguely qualified to discuss them privately, let alone publicly.

"Here's her, very publicly, saying a bunch of transphobic and other bigoted poo poo"

"Hrm, much research is needed..."

:thunk:

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 28, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Like, you can just say 'I need the revenue so I'm not taking it down but woops didn't know she was a piece of poo poo, my bad guys won't happen again', that's fine.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Its outside my knowledge irt whether the transsexuals ideology is corrupting kids into becoming trans :shrug:

Lmao if this was about gay people or she was being racist he'd have dropped her

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

see, i read that and i was like "oh okay, so her reply to tom probably over-shared some unrelated but even more batshit opinions that haven't been publicly disclosed yet"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea that apology was 90% justifying keeping the video up and then some weird 'well I'll have to research this to know for sure' when the topic is 'are the transes forcing innocent young people to transition because of...something...probably the Jews' and 'are autistic human beings still human'! I think most people don't need much research to decide that, even if they don't 100% the 'mechanics' behind those situations!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

thetoughestbean posted:

Didn’t know about Jill Bearup. I saw some of her videos and went “neat but a bit too focused on pop culture for me”, disappointing to hear that she’s a terf and seems to hate autistic people besides.

You can’t trust anyone from the UK can you

I'd say Hbomb, but then again you can't trust his opinions on the prequels.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Would like to give tom the benefit of the doubt but i would prefer not to snap my spine as i bend over backwards

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Yeah, that read like a really wordy response that boiled down to: he made the video, found out about the posts, then decided to put it up anyway without actually asking her "hey, what the gently caress?" And her response when he finally did ask if she still believed that poo poo was "it's complicated". That he decided to then keep it up and write all that out definitely wasn't the best response.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The response is only on his blog too, which kind of rubs me the wrong way. Last I looked there wasn't anything on his twitter or the actual video addressing it (apart from the video description saying the ad revenue is being donated to charity, but not saying why) or even linking to the blog saying he's addressed it. It feels like the response is essentially hidden.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
to be honest I have no idea who Tom is so yea if he has a history of being cool about this poo poo I can buy it being a case of 'ah poo poo I didn't hear about that, woops' but man do I hate an apology that's mostly focused on 'here's why me leaving the video up is actually good and just'. Again he can just say 'hey, I need ad money so I'm gonna keep it up but woof I didn't know she sucked so much, sorry about that' and do the donation and it'd probably be fine but the justification for so long felt incredibly self absorbed.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

My reading was that it's up to her to explain herself (or not, as the case may be) and that it's not really up to Tom Scott to do it so he neither exonerated or condemned her.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It’s so strange to be like “I’m not going to share her response because it was a private conversation, but some of it was definitely bad, and some more of it might have been bad but I’m not sure.” What’s up with the weird play-by-play of the response we don’t get to see? It’s not like anyone is going to be able to help you understand better without knowing what it was you didn’t understand. Just say you weren’t satisfied with her response.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Ash Crimson posted:

This aint it

I mean the thing about Tom is that he's never even hinted at being transphobic in the past and always made it clear he supports LGBT people. That, combined with the fact that lots of people don't know about Jill, to the point where even people in this very thread have posted her videos completely unaware of her past, makes me give him the benefit of the doubt. :shrug:

Maybe it's just the fact that the bar is practically underwater when it comes to youtuber apologies so at this point, the fact that he didn't start whining about cancel culture or whatever is a relief.

I took the whole giant explanation of the situation as just him wanting to make it clear why this happened. Honestly, how he explained it, I understood why he put up the video, even tho I (and I'm sure everyone else itt) think it was the wrong move obviously.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Yeah it's not a great response. Most of it seems like groping round for the thing to do that's going to alienate the fewest people, it's like, how about having an opinion and a set of standards and working out what to do based off of that? But the thing is he kind of did, his friends said "hmmm yeah, she's not great" before the video went up and that was the time to have the tortured wrangling he's doing in that non apology.

Donating the money is cool and all but let's face it it's probably nothing to a guy with his subs. And "her reply was complicated" makes me worry about his opinions more than I was before the reply. Cos like, which bits of what she's said were complicated to you? Before the response I was thinking ok he's been an ally up till now. But actually asking her the question and saying "it's complicated"...

I'm just trying to think at that point you've got an idea what your opinions are and what you want to hear from her and the response meets that or it doesn't. As he says the video has already had most of the views it will ever have, pulling it down and going "I asked Jill her opinion and I wasn't happy I wanted to still be in a video with someone who thinks that way" costs nothing at this point. Unless you're trying to triangulate to not lose the TERF audience. As a trans person that doesn't make me feel great but you know, am I really surprised? Not really

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Jamie Faith posted:

I mean the thing about Tom is that he's never even hinted at being transphobic in the past and always made it clear he supports LGBT people. That, combined with the fact that lots of people don't know about Jill, to the point where even people in this very thread have posted her videos completely unaware of her past, makes me give him the benefit of the doubt. :shrug:

I think it's going to be splitting hairs and sort of missing the point to say "Well he's not actively transphobic". No one is really saying he is. It's just there's a line between just going "I gotta eat" which is a fair reason to keep the video up and also, trying to overly justify why you're doing it. Something can kind of just be a fuckup.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, there's legal and business issues in pulling a video out of nowhere, dumping a private conversation and outright calling someone out for being a transphobe.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
On one hand, he could have just taken down the video and posted, "Jill Bearup is a transphobic piece of poo poo, and I hope she burns in hell", and there would be no debate as to his stance.

On the other hand, doing that might A.) make him a target of harassment from other TERFs, and/or B.) paint a target on Bearup as someone to attack/harass, which would be blamed on him (see point A).

Moral of the story: don't do collaborations.

Dias posted:

I mean, there's legal and business issues in pulling a video out of nowhere, dumping a private conversation and outright calling someone out for being a transphobe.

Unless I'm mistaken, here on SA, it's against the rules to post PMs openly without permission.

Does revenue get shared between Youtubers if they guest in someone's video? I wouldn't think there was a system in place for that.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Max Wilco posted:

On one hand, he could have just taken down the video and posted, "Jill Bearup is a transphobic piece of poo poo, and I hope she burns in hell", and there would be no debate as to his stance.

On the other hand, doing that might A.) make him a target of harassment from other TERFs, and/or B.) paint a target on Bearup as someone to attack/harass, which would be blamed on him (see point A).

Moral of the story: don't do collaborations.

Unless I'm mistaken, here on SA, it's against the rules to post PMs openly without permission.

Does revenue get shared between Youtubers if they guest in someone's video? I wouldn't think there was a system in place for that.

They work(ed) for the same company, I assume they'd handle the revenue split in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
How recent are those tweets of hers anyway if the question of 'whether or not she still believes in it' is even possible.