Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not to put my foot into a touchy argument domain (especially with comparisons of Lan to Mifune and the like), but I felt like there were some Obama vibes going on with LTT's casting and characterization. Or is that just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Collateral posted:

Maybe she changes in the following books, but she is a joyless shrew upto where I am in book 6. She does at least acknowledge her awful attitude is partly to mask her cowardice, then she immediately stuffs that thought in a box and carries on as before.

She is a perfect Aes Sedai to be honest.

I had to look it up too, but shrew isn't something you should be using.

Also lmao that you've completely misunderstood the character. Top tip - facing down one of the most evil people to ever live and refusing to back down is not the action of a coward.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah it feels funny saying this in this thread of all places

But if a word is exclusively used to describe women negatively, there's a pretty good chance you shouldn't use it anymore.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hexel posted:

So this is interesting: here we have what is believed to be our first images from season 2.

This location is near the city of Ostuni, Puglia in Italy where the production is known to be shooting. People on reddit have been confused by this little village location because it's way too small to be something like Falme. I believe this may be the tiny village in Arafel where Adeleas and Vandene reside.

Moiraine goes there in chapter 22 of TGH and asks Vandene if there is a link between the Dragon and the Horn of Valere and Toman Head then gets attacked by a Draghkar :v:

could be falme too with clever use of different camera angles etc

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I agree with you. I was getting the same "well you don't know what's going to happen, so how can you possibly think some of the changes felt bad, arbitrary, and pointless?" responses.

I want to like it. There are some things I do like about it. But I was expecting a lot fewer deviations this early on, especially because the first book was downright straightforward compared to how convoluted the story gets by the middle of the series. And if they're willing to throw out big plot points of a simple, almost entirely self-contained story, it doesn't bode well for what's coming.

Like, their treatment of saidin/saidar so far bugs me. Namely, that it's a super important key element of the series that had numerous situations come up where it could be info dumped, but they haven't even used the terms. I hope they correct that once male channeling becomes more prominent, but it just feels bad. And they already made it more prominent than it was in the first book by devoting an entire episode to Logain! An hour of screen time for something that didn't happen in the books at all and what did happen consisted of a paragraph or two of text, tops. In a season that clearly needed more time to handle the actual content of the story, that feels real bad. And I actually liked that episode! But in retrospect, I'd prefer they'd used the time to cover the source material a bit more faithfully.

These kind of posts are baffling- Eye is a self contained story because RJ want sure if it would land and get a good reception, but this is TV land, and all the material is available. They know that they have more seasons ahead, they know they can't do a self contained story without a hook to keep going forward, etc. It must be revised for the medium. Every single interview and example from the people involved, whether that's Rafe, Harriet, or Brandon very very clearly shows off how deeply they care about and are dedicated to showing off this story and this world, they're incredibly obviously not just capriciously changing random poo poo.

Sure, episode 7+8 were clearly much worse than the first 6, but given the circumstances surrounding them (A lead quitting, a pandemic stopping production, frantic rewrites with no time for revisions, covid rules preventing extras on set so the cool and good practical trollocs were replaced by last minute bad vfx versions, etc etc) that's both totally unsurprising and understandable, and I don't feel is remotely indicative of a team that doesn't know what they're doing. I'd have preferred a delay instead of a release of uneven quality, but Jeffy b waits for no one I suppose.

As far as your final paragraph, perhaps reconsider what we actually knew about the power in eye (virtually nothing because Moiraine didn't tell the boys poo poo, and the mechanics weren't even fleshed out by RJ at all), and that season two is heading directly in to "the gang goes to magic school" where more actual power mechanics are undoubtedly going to be explained. They're not doing something silly like merging the powers, the cold open in the AoL specifically mentioned Saidin, etc. Idk why you expect a bunch of exposition on the power in season 1 when that didn't even happen in eye itself. They've shown plenty on screen as it was, the only difference is it wasn't literally a lecture.

Tldr just sit back and enjoy things, jeeze.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It could also be a certain small village where Rand has an acid trip

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I had to look it up too, but shrew isn't something you should be using.

Lol at having to look up whether you should be offended

I would have said shrew was an apt descriptor, but fair enough. I'll edit out the offending words.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Also lmao that you've completely misunderstood the character. Top tip - facing down one of the most evil people to ever live and refusing to back down is not the action of a coward.

When did you last read the books? As part of her POV chapters she says it continuously. She thinks she's a coward and treats other people like poo poo because of it. I was not trying to hurt the feelings of a book character.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

She thinks she's a coward, but she's not one. Birgitte specifically tells her that.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

"Light, I'm such a coward," Nynaeve thinks, as she punches a forsaken in the face.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

"Light, I'm such a coward," Nynaeve thinks, as she punches a forsaken in the face.

"I'm not yelling!", yelled Nynaeve,

(These bits are the best lol)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Collateral posted:

Lol at having to look up whether you should be offended

No offense taken. The closest modern word I could think of to shrew would be bitch or similar - a derogatory term for a woman who doesn't follow the expected role within society. I doubt you would have used that - I think its generally understood why - so why is an anachronistic version OK?

Collateral posted:

When did you last read the books? As part of her POV chapters she says it continuously. She thinks she's a coward and treats other people like poo poo because of it. I was not trying to hurt the feelings of a book character.

I.... I'm bowing out.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

This one is almost a direct quote too, isn't it?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I.... I'm bowing out.

Me, too. Like I wasn't calling her a coward, just that's what she thinks where I am in book 6.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Gwaihir posted:

I'm a fan of:
Perrin wishes he could talk to Rand or Mat, they both know how to deal with woman.
Rand wishes he could talk to Perrin or Mat, they both know how to deal with woman.
Mat wishes he could talk to Perrin or Rand, they both know how to deal with woman.

Also a big fan of Nynaeve's "Men are so violent" while boxing someone's ears.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Does she ever actually box anyone's ears in the books?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

silvergoose posted:

Does she ever actually box anyone's ears in the books?

I don't believe so. I think the only people she ever strikes is Mat, who she kicks, Cerandin, who she slap,s and Latelle, who she attacks with a stick. Ear-boxing is sadly absent.

Also someone on reddit did a chart and apparently Egwene actually threatens to box people's ears more than Nynaeve, partly because she spends longer with Rand.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Nynaeve knew all along they should have brought Thom and Juilin along

Nynaeve had always said it was a bad idea to bring the men along

"Men always think with their chest hair" she thought as she bullied someone into doing what she wanted

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

"Men always think with their chest hair" she thought as she bullied someone into doing what she wanted

its why she's objectively the best character

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm waiting on the admins for the gang tags, sorry for delay.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

SerSpook posted:

There's also the fact that, for all her early inner discord, she's the only character that has 100% of her own poo poo nailed down by the last book. Of the main 5, she ends up the most at peace with her place in the world.

Witch-Queen Nynaeve, ruling Malkier, loving Lan on the reg, and (diplomatically) telling the White Tower to pound sand when it suits her.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I don't believe so. I think the only people she ever strikes is Mat, who she kicks, Cerandin, who she slap,s and Latelle, who she attacks with a stick. Ear-boxing is sadly absent.

Also someone on reddit did a chart and apparently Egwene actually threatens to box people's ears more than Nynaeve, partly because she spends longer with Rand.

There were several points where she talks about having to do things in the past, like punishing one of the boys or dragging some dumb kids in front of the Women's circle but not much on screen really.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

This is interesting: an Entertainment Weekly interview with Judkins, who presumably is privy to viewership numbers, wherein he says a majority of the show viewers are not book readers or even fantasy fans.

Entertainment Weekly posted:

It's crazy seeing how many people are watching the show. It feels like we've done the thing we set out to do of connecting with people who really love the books, but a big majority of our audience is people who don't know anything about the books and aren't even necessarily fantasy fans

Could give some insight into book changes and script choices :v:

https://ew.com/tv/the-wheel-of-time-showrunner-burning-questions-season-1-finale/

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

SerSpook posted:

Flawed characters are the best.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

I recall reading somewhere that Jordan's characterization of women is mostly based on his wife, and Nynaeve is the character he directly based on her. Its one of those little facts, like Charles Dickens being paid by the word because he published in newspapers, that makes an author's output suddenly make so much more sense.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

So, on the one hand there's not enough explanation for anything going on, and non-book readers will be completely lost. On the other hand, there is no flow to any of the dialog because it's full of clunky exposition?

I am personally on the boat of the dialog being clunky. I think most people will figure things out if they actually care, and I'd rather hear characters speak naturally. A bunch of people loved Lan's line of 'hate the man you choose, but love him at the same time'. I believe that's one of the few lines lifted directly from the books. Moiraine's story about Manathern was pretty close. I've watched about a half dozen reactors on YouTube, and they all seemed to keep up with the story just fine. The usual first season issues of remembering character names and what not, but they all got the story beats just fine. I've talked to a few people that are new to the world, and they seemed to understand all the basics.

I think the biggest issue for the show, apart from the clunky dialogue, especially in comparison to shows like GoT and The Witcher, is that they had much better actor depth to get the shows started. When you have Sean Bean, Mark Addy, Peter Dinklage and Henry Cavil, etc. around to anchor most of Season 1 it makes a big difference vs Rosamund Pike and a bunch of unknowns. In the other shows most of the younger actors slowly grew into their roles and screentime, WoT doesn't really have that luxury. I think most of them will be fine. I thing Egwene is actually pretty good, although maybe the Covid break hurt her a bit because she was a little stiff in Episode 7. Although her acting with Nynaeve when she finds out she spent the night with Lan was a good indicator that she'll be fine. Matt was easily the best, so I am sad that he's gone, but hopefully the replacement will be fine. Perrin I am kind of worried about, but at the same time I think he might actually be capturing book Perrin's mannerisms the best. Never making eye contact, being slow to react, etc. He does need more to work with though, but I don't think he's terrible.

I think an improvement in the writing will be the biggest boost the show needs.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Well it's taken me a bit to have the time to put my thoughts in here and I don't think I'm too far off the tempered group in here.

There was a lot to like about this first season and lot that makes me think they're gonna do good things with it. My wife who will never read the books really enjoyed it, and was excited to watch it each week (I count this as good given her inability to engage with written fantasy) and thought that it was a good start for a story. I was only bothered by many of the mechanical changes when I first watched the episode, but in retrospect most of it is fine for me since the show is going to have to set some of its own rules/context for the book material, it doesn't need to match 1:1. I've tried really hard to just square myself with the fact there is a lot to cover and covering it all even in the opening pitch bit is going to be hard. There are a lot of topics they haven't satisfactorily touched yet, but as the show has shown in the first season, that doesn't mean they aren't aware of them or are going to ignore those bits. The lack of extra time to let the thing breathe and develop is noticeable. If season 2 only gets 8 episodes I hope the renewal after that gets 10 at least because the compression is okay in a lot of ways, but is also noticeably impacting the smoothness of the narrative and the ability for the show to include some of the layers I think it'll need to really stick the landing.

Episode 8 was not a great finale, it's good there are much better finishing set pieces available for future seasons because it wasn't that cool to look at (just visual sequence wise) and honestly left a couple characters with really very little worth doing (although again that seems tied to missing a core actor and covid restrictions)or had them be useful but not in a useful to a TV show way. I loved Ishy (let him be smug Moridin instead of a mad man esp if they're gonna cut the reincarnation by the DO later), I loved that the entire trick was to get him to break the seal at the Eye, Padan Fain is a great antagonist and making him a smooth criminal vs a deranged gollum thing is way way cooler, and I feel like it'll add to his brand of madness if he's just a man with all the evil in the world wrapped around him but he isn't lost to it. I do think accelerating Rand's mad trip to confirm for himself he's gotta be the DR is not a bad choice, but nothing about what he's done this season makes me think he should have wandered off from the Eye into the Blight alone to think that would be fine.

I think there are a lot of things I want in the show that I'm likely just not going to get, and that has to be okay. I think they did a good job establishing the core characterizations for the main cast and set a good stage to build off of. Whether they do or not will absolutely impact how I look back on this, but it's still very much in the "too soon to tell" category for me. I want to see where they take some of the divergent bits they setup at the end of the season before I really pass any judgment on if they work or not because we just don't know yet. I think we're about to get a really big expansion on the difference between Saidar and Saidin next season now that we have characters that really need to learn about it, which was noticeably absent in this first season. It seems super important, but I can see how if we don't have natural exposition characters for it, better to let it be kinda mysterious at the start until our crew is given the info at a sensible time instead of a random fireside chat.

Random Thoughts from the finale:
- Moiraine def has a tied off shield, she wasn't stilled. She can sense the source, but can't touch it she said that at the end so it can't be stilling. Plus Ishy did a little twist thing with the weaves at the end that we haven't seen the 3rd age Aes Sedai do which looked a lot like turning a lock imo. Double tricky since no one in this age knows about that trick, and it's been made with Saidin which she can't sense or see.

- Rand did not balefire Ishy imo, Ishy basically explained to him to use need to access the OP and let it do its thing. Just want that baby real hard and magic will make it happen. IMO he wanted Ishy/he thinks TDO gone and so just unleashes a ton of OP at him. Kinda like the end of the book, I don't think it's very clear what that is beyond "a lot of power unleashed". Given we didn't get a darkhound scene from their travels we don't have an established appearance of Balefire to go with, I just don't' think what we got matches that from the books at all (glowing bar of light/white fire that causes spots around the object it touches to appear just before it disappears). Plus balefire is not a thing that will break Cuellindar so for his weave to break the seal, it had to be something else and likely will be told is just "a lot of the power he threw at the bad guy".

- Poor Perrin, they really want to play up his desire not to do violence, but they haven't really established well enough why he thinks he's an out of control violent dude who needs to be super in control. He's mostly just come off as a mopey sad boy. Which may be an okay place to start, but I really expected to see more forward motion or that conflict on screen a bit more. Why didn't he get a chance to go ham on some trollocs or the whitecloaks to show that he's really quite dangerous and powerful? Being asked to run in a circle to come back and see the bad thing in Fal Dara...didn't like that very much for him. They needed him to take the axe not the hammer and let that be a theme from early on in this season and it feels like a missed chance (even to have just had a discussion around it between him and anyone).

- Tarwin's Gap's defense makes no sense. Forget the tactical realism piece, just as a bit of set design, the wall fortification makes 0 sense to me. It isn't really cool enough to be an interesting set piece, its really dumbly designed to be easily destroyed in the sequence of events (it does not track that this thing has kept TDO's armies back for millennia) and then how they shot a charge to a fortification, just weird choices I didn't like.

- Burning out being a killer and extra dangerous? Fine by me. I liked that it was a cool visual to establish the dangers of doing too much with the OP beyond "you'll be sad you miss it now" so I liked that. I think that will really enhance the position of angreal and sa'angreal later in the show as a way to do more without killing yourself.

- Seanchan look scary, and are already petty loving up a beach to get a kid.

-Nyn giving Lan a trick to find Moiraine was umm unnecessary and dumb. It doesn't make her look strong, it makes him look weak. It's bad booking to imply the guy who has the magic bond and has been with this woman for years wouldn't know some giveaway to how she walks or something that Nyn has seen and figured out. Also makes Nyn look weaker because she didn't actually track Lan she tracked his companion who he didn't cover for well enough? It is a really dumb line with no other justification given to it, I don't see why they needed to add this, it undermines the basic reason they're into each other. Would have been just as easy for the masking to weaken once they go to the eye and she had things to do or something. I dunno that line bugged me since its an addition that isn't really adding anything and I think harms both characters involved. I think there has to be a better way to get Lan back to her at the end than what they did (also wild to consider imo Book Lan would have run out immediately to get her that early in the story and TV lan is just like OH WELL). For a season of really well developed characters, this was odd.

Other Wider Thoughts:
- Sad that Mat's actor is gone, but the new guy hopefully will be able to bring the levity the character needs as he grows into his role as the clever commander with crazy luck.
- The show really needs 10 episodes a season minimum or they need to not be so tight on run times so some episodes can be longer etc. The crunch of 8 hour long episodes absolutely impacted how they designed and paced the show, and it was really really clear that it needs some extra time. Finger crossed we got more after these first 2 season since that episode order has already been done.
- Still think the Aes Sedai rings need a rework.
- There is too much hidden in the x-ray features, which might be intentional to get folks to dig into that, but...kinda like Google Plus I don't see it happening. So I'd like them to make some of that more explicitly presented as extra materials (the animated shorts were very cool, and its very dumb you can't watch them on their streaming app).
- I hope people remember Thom when he shows back up? I think we really needed him introduced earlier for some exposition and just for folks to recognize him as not some rando one off guy. Would probably make that fight with the Fade hit harder if we'd spent more than 10 minutes with him.
- I really liked the costuming by and large, the sets they had the time and money to create looked really good. Outside of stepin's axes looking very cosplay-ey I think the other props also were really good.
- The rules of magic and how does channelling really work I assume like the books will be built on because this season was very much "magic does whatever you need it to" and they absolutely need to build on the speed/complexity of weaves to show how some folks are more impressive than others (i think Ishy instantly doing like 3 or 4 implied things at once was a good start). I agree with others we will likely get this in the next season as the girls/rand get exposition on the OP.
- The DO's forces are scary, the whitecloaks are bad dudes, they have a lot of good villains crafted already which is good since when the heroes split they'll need strong antagonists to fight against beyond monsters.
- Aram and the Tinkers I like the longer I sat on them. They did a much better job of tying them to Perrin than the books kinda do in terms of their influence on him.
- Really i liked all the casting choices, Perrin needs to be given better stuff, but I really like everyone we've gotten and can see them changing with their characters which will be cool to see. (Aram's fall is going to be super painful for him if we get to it).

- I'm just super super happy to get a Wheel of Time visual adaptation that most folks are enjoying so it can continue. Even if it comes out very different, if they can establish it as a property that will be good for WoT. Maybe we do get an anime or something else in the future. LotR has been done a bunch, GoT is getting spin offs, why not this?

I started this a few years ago, trying to figure for myself how you'd do a straight adaptation more or less, and I settled on 8 episodes for the first 2 or 3 seasons (but I wasn't trying to compress the way they are here yet). So I'm not totally sure that the count is the issue so much as a restriction on run time. I made it up through book 4, and hopefully having finished this I'll feel inspired to go back and keep going.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 27, 2021

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

I recall reading somewhere that Jordan's characterization of women is mostly based on his wife, and Nynaeve is the character he directly based on her. Its one of those little facts, like Charles Dickens being paid by the word because he published in newspapers, that makes an author's output suddenly make so much more sense.

Interview with Robert Jordan[ posted:

Are there any characters in the books that are based on historical figures?
There is one real-life individual who has contributed a lot. My wife has given me, involuntarily, at least one major character trait for all of the major female characters in the books. I'm very mean to her, I won't tell her which character traits I have taken.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

- There is too much hidden in the x-ray features, which might be intentional to get folks to dig into that, but...kinda like Google Plus I don't see it happening. So I'd like them to make some of that more explicitly presented as extra materials (the animated shorts were very cool, and its very dumb you can't watch them on their streaming app).
The animated shorts were added as normal extras to the series. So you can watch them with a normal app or on TV.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 27, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

DTurtle posted:

The animated shorts were added as normal extras to the series. So you can watch them with a normal app or on TV.

This is good news! It wasn't there after episode 7 but I'm glad the Zon is paying attention and adjusting that stuff so folks viewing it not on a computer will have the chance to enjoy them.

Khizan posted:

With the sa'angreal Rand was probably drawing enough power that using balefire on Ishy would have unshielded Moiraine.

This does seem like a good clue that whatever he did, did not actually kill the bad guy. I think given the implications of how balefire works, we didn't see it used as it would have caused some other side effects (that likely being one of them if he did it that big).

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 27, 2021

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Notorious ZSB posted:

- Rand did not balefire Ishy imo,

With the sa'angreal Rand was probably drawing enough power that using balefire on Ishy would have unshielded Moiraine.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Data Graham posted:

Not to put my foot into a touchy argument domain (especially with comparisons of Lan to Mifune and the like), but I felt like there were some Obama vibes going on with LTT's casting and characterization. Or is that just me.

I had the same thoughts but honestly hard to say how much of that might have been intentional by the showrunner/actor/etc or how much of it is just that Obama is going to be the default archetype for Black leadership in the popular imagination for a long time so of course it seeps into everything.

Hexel posted:

This is interesting: an Entertainment Weekly interview with Judkins, who presumably is privy to viewership numbers, wherein he says a majority of the show viewers are not book readers or even fantasy fans.

Could give some insight into book changes and script choices :v:

https://ew.com/tv/the-wheel-of-time-showrunner-burning-questions-season-1-finale/

Yeah that all tracks. Like it or not they seemed to have made the choices that would put asses in seats, and that led to some success above what anyone expected, which hopefully will set them up to build on the story in future seasons.

On second watch some of the finale choices make a bit more sense.

Nynaeve tells Lan how to track Moiraine because he's always had the bond and therefore never had to track her traditionally. The Seanchan using a tidal wave to kill a little kid trawling on a beach alone so that she can't run home and tell everyone about the weird ships she saw is absolutely a thing the Seanchan would do.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I love how Show-naeve can't turn off the aggressive bullheadedness. Sometimes it makes her look badass, sometimes it makes her look like a maniac.

"that woman's a snake" - hell yeah, you go girl

"we're not moiriane's, nobody owns us" - jesus christ, give it a rest, there's an army of trollocs coming at you.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Khizan posted:

also i think a lot of the room he was in would no longer have existed

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

Nynaeve tells Lan how to track Moiraine because he's always had the bond and therefore never had to track her traditionally. The Seanchan using a tidal wave to kill a little kid trawling on a beach alone so that she can't run home and tell everyone about the weird ships she saw is absolutely a thing the Seanchan would do.

I've def enjoyed watching them a second time and hopefully another viewing helps me with the finale. I really like the show and am glad we are getting it. The Seanchan showing up and instantly doing things we know the folks we've met wouldn't is a great place to start with them imo.

I can accept that answer for Nyn/Lan, I just don't think it makes either of them look stronger/better. Lan should have all those skills, not having them would make him a poor warder and Lan is generally the ideal version of a warder. I can see how for a TV show that decision makes sense, I just didn't care that much for it. That's a succinct explanation to resolve it that I am okay with, if that's how we were meant to take it (and for a viewing audience it probably does). We've already seen him covering their tracks and doing scouting, the idea he doesn't have those tools in his bag of tricks is just odd to me.

e: Feel like I gotta be clear: I like the show. I like a lot of what they did, and of course there would be things to pick at, but on the whole this was enjoyable and good things as another turning of the wheel. I really want it to be great, but this first season being good is a really solid start for me.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 27, 2021

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Mat Cauthon posted:

I had the same thoughts but honestly hard to say how much of that might have been intentional by the showrunner/actor/etc or how much of it is just that Obama is going to be the default archetype for Black leadership in the popular imagination for a long time so of course it seeps into everything.

Yeah that all tracks. Like it or not they seemed to have made the choices that would put asses in seats, and that led to some success above what anyone expected, which hopefully will set them up to build on the story in future seasons.

On second watch some of the finale choices make a bit more sense.

Why would Lan need any help to track the only 2 sets of human tracks to go into the blight from Fal Dara recently? It's not like there would be other tracks to confuse him.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

th3t00t posted:

Why would Lan need any help to track the only 2 sets of human tracks to go into the blight from Fal Dara recently? It's not like there would be other tracks to confuse him.

We don't know exactly how often people go into the Blight. Moiraine points out at least one dead human, there could be more? Could also be tracks from scouting parties or whatever. Also the Blight shifts around, which probably makes it harder to track people.

At the end of the day it's a narrative contrivance to set up certain story beats. I'm not crazy about it but I don't think it diminishes any of the characters.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

th3t00t posted:

I think the whole things falls apart if you think about it too hard. If she was tracking her, then how did she find them in the first place when Moiraine was getting carried on horse both in and out of Shadar Logoth?

And book Lan at least extensively scouts their backtrail to make sure no one is leaving a trace, that he wouldn't pick up on a tell Moiraine has had for 20 years is a pretty big gash into his character's competence.

And, unless I totally missed it, the Eye doesn't move around like it does in the books, so why would he have needed to track her anyways if the Eye is just a known location?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dingleberry2 posted:

I think the biggest issue for the show, apart from the clunky dialogue, especially in comparison to shows like GoT and The Witcher, is that they had much better actor depth to get the shows started. When you have Sean Bean, Mark Addy, Peter Dinklage and Henry Cavil, etc. around to anchor most of Season 1 it makes a big difference vs Rosamund Pike and a bunch of unknowns. In the other shows most of the younger actors slowly grew into their roles and screentime, WoT doesn't really have that luxury. I think most of them will be fine. I thing Egwene is actually pretty good, although maybe the Covid break hurt her a bit because she was a little stiff in Episode 7. Although her acting with Nynaeve when she finds out she spent the night with Lan was a good indicator that she'll be fine. Matt was easily the best, so I am sad that he's gone, but hopefully the replacement will be fine. Perrin I am kind of worried about, but at the same time I think he might actually be capturing book Perrin's mannerisms the best. Never making eye contact, being slow to react, etc. He does need more to work with though, but I don't think he's terrible.

I don't think the Wheel of Time actors are bad (except maybe Perrin's), but they're obviously not hitting the immediate 'holy poo poo this cast is stacked' feeling that GoT did, and I do think the acting is better on The Witcher too, with Henry Cavill basically finding the role that was perfect for him and a pretty solid supporting cast too. Honestly even a lot of the smaller roles in this show seem to have actors who have more immediate presence than most of the main cast, like Logain, Padan Fain, Siuan, and Ishamael. Obviously those are larger than life characters who've done things with their lives already while everyone in the core cast aside from Moiraine and Lan is still in the just barely off the farm part of the hero's journey, so it's possible that we'll see flashier performances from the core cast when it's needed, but I don't think there's anyone who's instantly a breakout star so far. Of the Emond's Fielders, I think only Nynaeve and Mat really stood out at all, and one of them is gone now. It's too early to judge with Josha since he's had dramatically less to do than he will in future seasons, but so far I kind of think he may as well be called Bland al'Thor.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 27, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

We don't know exactly how often people go into the Blight. Moiraine points out at least one dead human, there could be more? Could also be tracks from scouting parties or whatever. Also the Blight shifts around, which probably makes it harder to track people.

At the end of the day it's a narrative contrivance to set up certain story beats. I'm not crazy about it but I don't think it diminishes any of the characters.

That's where we will have to disagree as I think it diminishes both Nyn and Lan in a way that didn't need to happen (like i said in my block of words, it's bad booking). There is a big range of things you could have done to get to that narrative beat other than to make the hyper competent guy incompetent in a way we've been explicitly shown he shouldn't be blind to.

I do not care that they created this bit of tension, I just didn't like their seemingly lazy resolution for it that seems bad for the characters.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 27, 2021

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Dingleberry2 posted:

I think the whole things falls apart if you think about it too hard. If she was tracking her, then how did she find them in the first place when Moiraine was getting carried on horse both in and out of Shadar Logoth?

And book Lan at least extensively scouts their backtrail to make sure no one is leaving a trace, that he wouldn't pick up on a tell Moiraine has had for 20 years is a pretty big gash into his character's competence.

And, unless I totally missed it, the Eye doesn't move around like it does in the books, so why would he have needed to track her anyways if the Eye is just a known location?
Yeah, Moiraine wasn't even conscious or riding her own horse to leave a tell for Nynaeve by the time Nyn could have conceivably been tracking something other than the horde of Trollocs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

who cares about how tracking works it's literally always a narrative contrivance