Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Begall posted:

I understand what people mean about the drops, but you can also get pretty close to the price of the prebuilt with a 3070 available to buy at eBuyer right this second, plus a whole bunch of better quality/higher performance components: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xdJpxc

I appreciate this defeats my original point that it could be done cheaper, but for the £120 difference (+£4 for a windows key) of £1350 vs £1470 I know that personally I'd prefer this self build.

There is no current situation where getting a GPU near MSRP/RRP is easy.

And generally prebuilt prices are a couple $100s better than scalped GPUs. Not always, but typically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I still have a few HDDs around, not installed in anything, that I might use for external backup or something. The actual working drives in my machines are all SSDs, and I feel averse to the idea of having an HDD actually in one of my machines at this point.

Understood! Like I said, I have a ton of IDE, SATA, and even Molex adapter cables in my nightstand just for that. I also have TB of flash drives (most empty, but the majority are USB 1 or 2 because my BiL gets them free all over the world). I also have a USB Blu Ray burner and even a USB FDD for the occasional VM OS software. Like I said, they are all external. I have thought about buying a hot-swappable HDD caddy just for convenience, but that’s just a future decision for now. Nothing says you have to use them internally, but I’d much rather “archive” working hardware than ewaste it. Throwing an 80GB HDD in the trash just because it’s slow(er) just seems weird, but even I don’t plug ‘em inside even if I have room/available power on the mobo!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

And generally prebuilt prices are a couple $100s better than scalped GPUs. Not always, but typically.

I got my 3070 prebuilt in April cheaper than a single 3070/3080 card from eBay even with, taxes, build fee, and full price Win10 Home + Pro key from LODGENORTH in SAMart. Scalped prices were insane even then, and there were many ITT buying 3090s just because of availability at a price they didn’t want to pay but had an urgent need. Couldn’t really even find integrated graphics chips, and laptops weren’t really capable at the time, either.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DerekSmartymans posted:

I got my 3070 prebuilt in April cheaper than a single 3070/3080 card from eBay even with, taxes, build fee, and full price Win10 Home + Pro key from LODGENORTH in SAMart. Scalped prices were insane even then, and there were many ITT buying 3090s just because of availability at a price they didn’t want to pay but had an urgent need. Couldn’t really even find integrated graphics chips, and laptops weren’t really capable at the time, either.

What did you get and how much did you pay?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Rinkles posted:

What did you get and how much did you pay?

I got a 10th gen Intel, a 460 mobo (WiFi 6/Bluetooth included), 32GB 3200 RAM, 1TB m.2 (nvme? the tiny one), 3070, tower cooler + 3 120mm fans, and a 750W PSU. I cannot recall brands, but the PSU & GPU were EVGA and all the parts were off the shelf. $85 for Win10 Home (non-negotiable) + $5 Pro upgrade key, $100 for build, then the taxes & shipping all in for $1999.21. My budget was $2000 exactly.

It’s been great, and I had TVs for dual monitors (1080p) and all peripherals like Kb/M. I had been planning on a 2080 build, but this came up $0.79 under budget and I bought it within three minutes of getting the Newegg text. This was right before LHR was discussed at all, and way before the “TIs” were out. Got to my house and I literally disassembled each piece as I removed the internal case packing, to make sure everything was plugged securely and cabled right. POSTed on first power up, and been working pretty much 24/7 since with 0 issues.

I didn’t even have to sell any of my 2015-built 970 system, which I upgraded to Win11 (and was underwhelmed) in October that I use as a media PC/dedicated word processor even today. I also keep 149GBs of a “Downloads” folder on there, because I just got capable internet in 2019 (tethered cell phone, followed by an unlimited 4G LTE/5G modem in 2020) and never wanted to re-download anything ever. So some of my programs on my 3070 rig are still on CD-rw or copies of 2011 originals :D

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That seems a bit pricey, tbh. But I'm glad you're happy with it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Rinkles posted:

That seems a bit pricey, tbh. But I'm glad you're happy with it.

It was a better system than I was looking for, slightly under budget, and to be honest—I consider not being in the upgrade hunt still today to be worth the premium wholeheartedly! And if my GPU fizzles, I didn’t have to sell my old rig out to afford it.

Knock on wood!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
So I got the shuffle bundle for ddr5 with z690 Maximus hero but I’m hearing reports it’s borking

Anyone have any z690 recommendations

Wondering if I should try and return partially to Newegg all the gigabyte psu recall

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

So I have been looking at adding a wireless card to my PC. Can anyone make recommendations or is there anything i should know before getting one?

Personally I've gone with PCIe cards that basically put a laptop wifi/Bluetooth card in and that you run antennas out of. I tend to go with ones based on Intel cards since I dual-boot and the driver situation is usually better for Intel when running Linux. I have an ASUS and a Gigabyte card like this, and both have been great for me.

I have one close to this in my secondary desktop: https://www.newegg.com/asus-pce-ac55bt-b1-pci-express/p/N82E16833320333

And this one or one close to it in my primary desktop: https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GC-WB1733D-I-Bluetooth-Wireless-Expansion/dp/B07GBM3M88

I prefer the antenna on the Gigabyte because it's magnetized and stays where I put it, while the ASUS antenna is light and can move around just from the cable weight. Still perfectly serviceable, though.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Quick question. Tossing up two budget upgrades for my kids.

They're both rocking i5-4690's atm with GT 1030 cards. They're really only playing games like Roblox and Minecraft in 1080p.

Is it worth moving from the i5-4690 to something like a Ryzen 5 1600 AF which I can grab for around $200?

I can get 16gb Ram and a suitable motherboard to suit the 1600 AF for around $180 (aud), so I'd be spending around $380 for each PC for CPU, Mobo and Ram.

Or should I look at spending more and get a better CPU for them to last longer, eg a 3600, cheapest I can find for around $300ish (each PC would then cost me $480, so an extra $200 in total)

I've tried comparing performance from the 4690 to the 1600 AF to the 3600 but userbenchmark is bizarre, I suspect it's not really that useful for real world performance?

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

hambeet posted:

They're both rocking i5-4690's atm with GT 1030 cards. They're really only playing games like Roblox and Minecraft in 1080p.

Is it worth moving from the i5-4690 to something like a Ryzen 5 1600 AF which I can grab for around $200?

I can get 16gb Ram and a suitable motherboard to suit the 1600 AF for around $180 (aud), so I'd be spending around $380 for each PC for CPU, Mobo and Ram.

Or should I look at spending more and get a better CPU for them to last longer, eg a 3600, cheapest I can find for around $300ish (each PC would then cost me $480, so an extra $200 in total)

I've tried comparing performance from the 4690 to the 1600 AF to the 3600 but userbenchmark is bizarre, I suspect it's not really that useful for real world performance?

It’s an upgrade, but keeping in mind I have no personal experience with these specific hardware and these specific games, I doubt that that 4690 is bottlenecking a 1030 in Minecraft or Roblox, or if it is then only in terms of the absolute highest fps that could be achieved at any quality setting.

I think you would be better finding a used pair of GTX 970’s as an upgrade. If it becomes apparent after that you’ve got a CPU bottleneck, only then would I upgrade the cpu/motherboard/ram.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hambeet posted:

Userbenchmark is a known Intel shill who has been banned from major subreddits. The level of anti-AMD bullshit on Userbenchmark is hilarious, and they do all sorts of idiotic things to try to push it.

https://ownsnap.com/userbenchmark-i...tech-community/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It might be worth considering going to a Ryzen 3 CPU instead of a 5, I remember people were very high on the 3100-3300s for general 1080p gaming. If they're playing super lightweight games a 3600 is likely overkill depending on how cheap you can find the R3 stuff.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Personally I've gone with PCIe cards that basically put a laptop wifi/Bluetooth card in and that you run antennas out of. I tend to go with ones based on Intel cards since I dual-boot and the driver situation is usually better for Intel when running Linux. I have an ASUS and a Gigabyte card like this, and both have been great for me.

I have one close to this in my secondary desktop: https://www.newegg.com/asus-pce-ac55bt-b1-pci-express/p/N82E16833320333

And this one or one close to it in my primary desktop: https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GC-WB1733D-I-Bluetooth-Wireless-Expansion/dp/B07GBM3M88

I prefer the antenna on the Gigabyte because it's magnetized and stays where I put it, while the ASUS antenna is light and can move around just from the cable weight. Still perfectly serviceable, though.
i was also looking at bluetooth/wifi cards for a friend and was wondering if this is a better deal since it says it's Wifi 6, bluetooth 5.1, and has a bunch of positive reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/EDUP-Bluetooth-Wireless-Network-Adapter/dp/B0832MR4WB/

i've just never heard of EDUP before though

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Is there a surge protector of choice right now or just go with whatever isn't obviously cheap garbage?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

comedyblissoption posted:

i was also looking at bluetooth/wifi cards for a friend and was wondering if this is a better deal since it says it's Wifi 6, bluetooth 5.1, and has a bunch of positive reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/EDUP-Bluetooth-Wireless-Network-Adapter/dp/B0832MR4WB/

i've just never heard of EDUP before though

I've never owned EDUP but I know they make a lot of cheap wireless stuff. It looks like it's another standard PCIe card using an Intel laptop card so is likely fine. I'm personally not worrying too much about wifi 6 yet since I don't intensive LAN network stuff and wifi 5 is already much faster than my actual Internet service. I'm not sure I even own a device capable of using wifi 6 at this point, too - we're still early days on it, and there's already a revision if memory serves.

One thing I should mention is that all these cards generally require a cable to be attached to a USB header on the motherboard for Bluetooth to work. If for some reason the motherboard doesn't have a free header (which seems unlikely) then only the wifi would work.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ill try it out and trip report back

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Is there a surge protector of choice right now or just go with whatever isn't obviously cheap garbage?
I got this a while ago and it seems fine with decently long cord options IDK if there's a tech nerd consensus on what's good
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J2EN4S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

what I do know is that best buy's in-store brand is overpriced and worse comparatively

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I did it! I bought the parts for my new build.

I'm reusing my PSU since it's less than a year old and my case cause it's a big rear end R5. Since I wont be using the USB C header for the case, anyone know a decent USB C backplate?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If I live 2ish hours from a microcenter, is my best chance at getting a gpu just driving over on a restock day or are they somewhat available online (not from scalpers)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

If I live 2ish hours from a microcenter, is my best chance at getting a gpu just driving over on a restock day or are they somewhat available online (not from scalpers)

You have to show up in person, and they don't announce restock days ahead of time. I don't know if there's any known pattern to their restocks. Maybe someone like Alan Smithee can share some wisdom there.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-surge-protector/

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

hambeet posted:

amd cards are really bad buys compared to intel right now if you can find an intel lga 1200 board for a reasonable price, the equivalent i5 card to the 3600 is about 150$ dollars cheaper last I checked, there's certainly reason to want the amd path going into the future but you're going to be paying essentially double for it. An 11400f at 180$ I think is the best buy currently, or you could wait for the new 12400f that's coming out Jan 5th, msrp 180$.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 27, 2021

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I'm looking for a SSD boot drive upgrade for my home server. It is currently using my ~50gb SSD from a million years ago (probably like 15? years ago), so I imagine anything on the market will be an upgrade. I just want to make sure this random cheap drive from newegg isn't a terrible idea for some reason.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

yes but you would have to know dead certain they are dropping. Best you can probably do is have someone close who can feed you info, the Unofficial MC Discord probably best for that. Depending on how busy your MC gets you might need to get there on the dot if you want really rare stuff or you've got hours.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You have to show up in person, and they don't announce restock days ahead of time. I don't know if there's any known pattern to their restocks. Maybe someone like Alan Smithee can share some wisdom there.

Our MC's manager is actively adversarial to us and tries to switch it up as much as he can. We all heard rumors supposedly from the horse's mouth it was going to be christmas eve and day after xmas. Christmas Eve drops, so we all come out for Sunday. Nothing

I don't think most MC's even have similar special event ones. We had an entire week for a grand reopening thing which was specific to ours, and they did a black friday whole weekend one but I dont think other MC's did

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

draft build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($414.40 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.94 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($197.36 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB ROG STRIX GAMING OC Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact TG Dark Tint ATX Mid Tower Case ($123.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1275.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-27 10:50 EST-0500

Ignore the video card, I have a 3060 but just chose the 3080 Ti in there for a possible future larger size/wattage compatibility check.

Thoughts? Goal was a reasonably small footprint case that still had lots of internal room, coupled with a build around a motherboard that had good onboard audio (ALC1220) at a reasonable price point.

gaming build, with some occasional number crunching

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Think the more reasonable choice would be using an nvme as an OS drive and offloading the other stuff to Sata unless money is no object. In general the build is ridiculously overkill unless you're doing serious productivity work.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

pmchem posted:

gaming build, with some occasional number crunching

I would want a better cooling solution than that for the 12700k. The Fuma 2 is cheaper and performs better than the u12s and would be fine for general usage, or you could spend a bit more and go for the best air cooler going, the NH-D15. To be clear, I don't think the u12S would thermally throttle under normal usage in that case but there's better value or performing options out there.

Also you'll see no practical benefit for the time being from having a PCIe 4 NVMe, but maybe direct storage will start being relevant at some point so if you have the budget for it then eh you do you.

lurker2006 posted:

In general the build is ridiculously overkill unless you're doing serious productivity work.

I don't think this is fair. Yeah they could get away with a 12600k, but there's valid reasons for just going with NVMe storage over SATA drives, and the RAM/greater CPU power makes sense if OP will see productivity benefit from them. Ditto the PSU capacity, 750W would be enough but 850W isn't insane overkill.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 27, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I couldn't find a fan thread unfortunately so apologies if I missed this.

I'm thinking of repurposing some kit into a larger case but want to shed my RGB past .

I've got some components lying around including a Corsair 5000D airflow and 360mm AIO that I want to use but want to go for a noctua based build with that.

Currently I have 3 NF-A12x25s from my ITX build that I'll move over either as case fans or for the AIO but I'm wondering what the best fans are for the AIO, either the NF-A12X25S or getting 3 of the NF-F12s

Or another option that I hadnt considered that someone could pitch in.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

I would want a better cooling solution than that for the 12700k. The Fuma 2 is cheaper and performs better than the u12s and would be fine for general usage, or you could spend a bit more and go for the best air cooler going, the NH-D15. To be clear, I don't think the u12S would thermally throttle under normal usage in that case but there's better value or performing options out there.

Also you'll see no practical benefit for the time being from having a PCIe 4 NVMe, but maybe direct storage will start being relevant at some point so if you have the budget for it then eh you do you.

I don't think this is fair. Yeah they could get away with a 12600k, but there's valid reasons for just going with NVMe storage over SATA drives, and the RAM/greater CPU power makes sense if OP will see productivity benefit from them. Ditto the PSU capacity, 750W would be enough but 850W isn't insane overkill.

Re: cooler, I considered the NH-D15 but then delved into Noctua’s site where they rate the U14S, U12S, and (surprisingly) even smaller U9S as all top rated for the 12700K:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i7-12700K-1579
So I figured I’d just get a 14S or 12S depending on sale prices. I have an i7-6700 right now with an old U12S on it and it’s been great.

The plan is for this build to last as long as current console generations, so roughly about 5+ years. I figure the nvme will be well utilized over that timespan. My skylake build has gotten a lot of mileage out of its 1TB Samsung 970 evo ssd, but it’s full and also not moving to the new build.

I hope/intend on getting a high-end NVidia 4xxx series card in 2022/2023, hence some PSU headroom. Plus it will let the PSU fan ramp up less. My current build has a 520W FANLESS seasonic PSU which is awesome, but good fanless psus seem impossible to find these days.

Good comments so far keep ‘‘em coming thank you.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

pmchem posted:

I have an i7-6700 right now with an old U12S on it and it’s been great.

In that case can't you just get a free upgrade for the new socket from Noctua and carry it forward?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm looking for a SSD boot drive upgrade for my home server. It is currently using my ~50gb SSD from a million years ago (probably like 15? years ago), so I imagine anything on the market will be an upgrade. I just want to make sure this random cheap drive from newegg isn't a terrible idea for some reason.

I can't confidently give purchasing advice, but I'm pretty sure you can find better drives for not much more (if I'm not mistaken, that's a DRAM less SATA drive).

For instance, this is a common recommendation. WD Blue 500GB SATA. But I'm just repeating what I've heard from others. I don't know what would be best for your use case.

Also just fyi, recently there have been a fair amount of SSD deals, especially if you're looking for something higher capacity.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

In that case can't you just get a free upgrade for the new socket from Noctua and carry it forward?

maybe, yeah. I thought about it, but I'm honestly not sure I have a HSF laying around for the 6700 and that old machine will still get used/sold/etc. So one way or another I've gotta get a HSF. It's a reasonable idea. Path of least resistance is just to list the U12S in the draft build and worry about which exact HSF gets used after I commit to building this thing (might wait for a sale, etc.).

Tyrsell
Nov 5, 2008
Windows 10 is cheaper to buy than Windows 11. Is there any reason to not just buy Windows 10 and upgrade it to Windows 11, considering Microsoft is offering a free update to everyone with Windows 10?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Tyrsell posted:

Windows 10 is cheaper to buy than Windows 11. Is there any reason to not just buy Windows 10 and upgrade it to Windows 11, considering Microsoft is offering a free update to everyone with Windows 10?

Not that I'm aware of.

There's so no real reason to upgrade to Win 11 either at the moment.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

There's so no real reason to upgrade to Win 11 either at the moment.

the screenshot button on new xbox controllers works

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

I couldn't find a fan thread unfortunately so apologies if I missed this.

I'm thinking of repurposing some kit into a larger case but want to shed my RGB past .

I've got some components lying around including a Corsair 5000D airflow and 360mm AIO that I want to use but want to go for a noctua based build with that.

Currently I have 3 NF-A12x25s from my ITX build that I'll move over either as case fans or for the AIO but I'm wondering what the best fans are for the AIO, either the NF-A12X25S or getting 3 of the NF-F12s

Or another option that I hadnt considered that someone could pitch in.

The a12x25s are great for radiators and are quiet.

The only thing more interesting is this thick boy.

Phanteks (PH-F120T30_BG) T30-120 Fan, Premium high-Performance Fan, PWM, Black/Grey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B2LNFV4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_XPH25TV05FQEQHGPWC9V

If you have extra clearance it’s thicker than all the other fans on the market and just destroys them with performance.

However when you’re swinging around 360 radiators you can get away with whatever RGB fan comes on them because they’re not going to have to work very hard.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Tyrsell posted:

I mean, there are reasons to buy Windows 10 and not upgrade to Windows 11 :v:

...but to be serious, I believe when you upgrade from 10 to 11, it maintains rollback capability for some days. So the upgrade path would be the superior option, since you've got a fix if you wind up hating the new one. I don't know that a fresh vanilla windows 11 install lacks that capability, but it would be weird if they included it.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

spunkshui posted:

The a12x25s are great for radiators and are quiet.

The only thing more interesting is this thick boy.

Phanteks (PH-F120T30_BG) T30-120 Fan, Premium high-Performance Fan, PWM, Black/Grey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B2LNFV4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_XPH25TV05FQEQHGPWC9V

If you have extra clearance it’s thicker than all the other fans on the market and just destroys them with performance.

However when you’re swinging around 360 radiators you can get away with whatever RGB fan comes on them because they’re not going to have to work very hard.

Cheers

Yeah I could stick with the current ones on it but find even on a low curve they are still pretty loud, compared to the NF-A12s which I literally can't hear in my ITX build atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Rinkles posted:

I can't confidently give purchasing advice, but I'm pretty sure you can find better drives for not much more (if I'm not mistaken, that's a DRAM less SATA drive)

Appreciate it, got that one instead. I'm just now filling 50gb on the system drive after like 7 years, so I'm pretty sure I'll be good with 500, but getting a faster drive for $10 seems like a good call, thanks!