Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Got my Teferi Time Trouble for Christmas and now I'm wondering: why was the emblem for dack not the bonus card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Got my Teferi Time Trouble for Christmas and now I'm wondering: why was the emblem for dack not the bonus card?

Yeah, almost anything would have been better than a pre-curled foil island, but some kind of old-style emblem would have been perfect.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I got some Card Kingdom gift cards for Xmas and I’m thinking about blowing it on a MH2 set booster box. Good idea or great idea?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I got some Card Kingdom gift cards for Xmas and I’m thinking about blowing it on a MH2 set booster box. Good idea or great idea?

Just buy the singles.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sickening posted:

Just buy the singles.

I already do that

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Draft with your friends and yeah sure, pretty good idea. Otherwise its just gambling, which is fun but not very good for the ol' bank account

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This is exactly what I would do so it’s probably a bad idea! But you should do it, it sounds fun.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Like all packs it's -ev to open them.

Good luck!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pablo Nergigante posted:

of any sealed product to buy to crack, MH2 is the best to do so of the currently available stuff, so if you want to just crack packs, definitely go for a MH2 set box in particular. I've opened a few of them and they're pretty solid as far as packs to crack go, but of course are more expensive than mainstream set stuff.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

you should buy a draft box to play with friends instead of gambling alone with a set box. Imho

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

kalel posted:

friends

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Im your internet friend, Pablo Nergigante

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

:shobon:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mandatory lesbian posted:

are you going to have him draft for you by holding up the cards in the pack to a camera, and you say "card #8 of 15" and he sets that one aside

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

are you going to have him draft for you by holding up the cards in the pack to a camera, and you say "card #8 of 15" and he sets that one aside

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Not a fan of those full art black and white lands. Having seen them played on mtgo it looks like players are forgetting they're not always swamps

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah it loving sucks, the ones with the colored borders, sure, fine, have your monochrome-with-a-single-identifier basics, but straight up black and white only? really really bad idea

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Im going to drink peyote and vision quest my way to whatever store is closest to them

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

meanolmrcloud posted:

I bought a collector booster on a whim and got a dominating vampire, and a foil dominating vampire. The coolest card was probably the foil black and white swamp. Lesson learned.

Haha yeah, last summer I was a bit drunk and wanted to support my FLGS and bought a Forgotten Realms collector booster

Opened a Instrument of the Bards and a foil Instrument of the Bards :froggonk:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
"Just buy singles" I say as I continue to tear open booster boxes of new sets. "You're wasting your money, gambling it away like that" I mutter, adding a Midnight Hunt Collector's Booster Box for $159 to my cart.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

actually, don't buy sealed product. don't play arena, and don't play mtgo. don't give Hasbro your money. and don't even buy singles and contribute to the predatory card economy. print the cards on pieces of printer paper so it's obvious they're not proxies. play in person with your friends. gently caress the system

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

kalel posted:

actually, don't buy sealed product. don't play arena, and don't play mtgo. don't give Hasbro your money. and don't even buy singles and contribute to the predatory card economy. print the cards on pieces of printer paper so it's obvious they're not proxies. play in person with your friends. gently caress the system

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

kalel posted:

I intend to have my full deck tattooed on my body and point to whatever card I’m playing at a given time. gently caress Hasbro!!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

kalel posted:

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a loving big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose booster boxes, Arena gems, and a loving retro foil etched Force of Negation

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

That ninja commander seems pretty eh, considering you have to play him, have another creature in play that can attack that turn, and doesn't get blocked, attack, and then pay 4 to ninja something into play for only 7 mana.

If you're ninjaing things like Grislebrand or an eldrazi or something, odds are your opponent is doing powerful stuff too, so they can probably remove a 3-drop with no way to protect itself before you untap with it, even if you play a bunch of moxes and poo poo to play him turn 1, and activate him turn 2

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I just wanted to get the thread's thoughts on set boosters vs. draft boosters. Got a set booster box of Crimson Vow for Christmas, got some good stuff, but was disappointed by the sheer duplicates of rares. Probably 60% of the rares I pulled were duplicates of each other, 3 of this, 4 of that. 5 mythics were nice, but I thought the advertisement of set boosters was you had a better chance of getting the whole set vs. drafts. Now I feel like draft boosters might be better for getting more variety. What do ya'll think?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So I just wanted to get the thread's thoughts on set boosters vs. draft boosters. Got a set booster box of Crimson Vow for Christmas, got some good stuff, but was disappointed by the sheer duplicates of rares. Probably 60% of the rares I pulled were duplicates of each other, 3 of this, 4 of that. 5 mythics were nice, but I thought the advertisement of set boosters was you had a better chance of getting the whole set vs. drafts. Now I feel like draft boosters might be better for getting more variety. What do ya'll think?

it's either natural variance or an error in the printing/packing process, neither of which would be affected by purchasing a different product

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

A Moose posted:

That ninja commander seems pretty eh, considering you have to play him, have another creature in play that can attack that turn, and doesn't get blocked, attack, and then pay 4 to ninja something into play for only 7 mana.

If you're ninjaing things like Grislebrand or an eldrazi or something, odds are your opponent is doing powerful stuff too, so they can probably remove a 3-drop with no way to protect itself before you untap with it, even if you play a bunch of moxes and poo poo to play him turn 1, and activate him turn 2

Costing 3 seems fine for what it does. It can be extremely high impact the next turn after.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Another, "Leak" No clue if real but again if they are fakes, they put a lot of effort into it. Grain of salt and all that.

The red card translation stolen from reddit

quote:

Translation for the red spell, and a new mechanic:

Deals X to target creature or planeswalker. If you control a modified creature, deal X plus 2 damage instead. (Creatures that are equipped, enchanted, or have counters are modified)

Seems to be the ability from test card, Louvaq, the Aberrant

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 27, 2021

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Is that crumpling an artistic effect? That's an interesting choice.

...or looking at the edge of the card again, maybe it's just that hosed up

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That O-Kagachi is supposedly a Saga that transforms :eyepop:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Isn't Jukai Trainee's ability just Bushido? Wonder why that's not Keyworded.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

Probably not enough creatures have it in the set for it to be a Real Set Keyword

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

They've reused keyword mechanics without the keywords in Standard legal sets recently, like how Emry had affinity for artifacts in all but name.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Strong Sauce posted:

usually it's 'the mechanic isn't in the set in enough quantities to justify the mental overhead of keywording it'

if you're just going to have to include reminder text on an ability you see once or twice in a set, why not just print the text outright, you know?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

This way, :corsair: can recognise that it's bushido and feel nostalgic for old Kamigawa and everyone else doesn't have to wonder why they bothered keywording a lame-rear end mechanic

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nezumi Prowler fuckin owns, and if that indicates the direction they're going with ninjas in this set I really hope it's real.

The Kami War should be an unplayable timmy mythic but something makes me think that I'm gonna be sitting across from at least one opponent in draft who gets the stars to align to make it work and they'll kick my rear end.

Bad Blaze is Bad.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

The Kami War should be an unplayable timmy mythic but something makes me think that I'm gonna be sitting across from at least one opponent in draft who gets the stars to align to make it work and they'll kick my rear end.

At least you'll win the other two games when their mana base kills them

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Qwertycoatl posted:

This way, :corsair: can recognise that it's bushido and feel nostalgic for old Kamigawa and everyone else doesn't have to wonder why they bothered keywording a lame-rear end mechanic
Bushido kicked rear end and keywording it means it it interacts with cards like General Takeno.
It's also a such a simple mechanic that they shouldn't worry about it being too complicated or hard to remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

HootTheOwl posted:

Bushido kicked rear end and keywording it means it it interacts with cards like General Takeno.

This is what makes me hope this batch of leaks is fake. Samurai tribal is one of the most frequent things I saw people talk about in a hypothetical return to Kamigawa. After how they handled Tovolar (i.e. having him interact with the new werewolves AND the old werewolves), I don't think they would drop the ball so hard with Samurai.