Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Resurrection was pretty fun overall but way better in the first half when it was lampshading everything about "The Matrix" before becoming just another iteration of the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
TIL that there's a good chance Donald Trump and Vince McMahon are half-brothers

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Laterite posted:

Resurrection was pretty fun overall but way better in the first half when it was lampshading everything about "The Matrix" before becoming just another iteration of the same thing.

Yeah basically, if the action was better and the Analyst had been as well defined as the Architect or Oracle I think it woulda threaded the needle and been a great sequel.

I like the constant talking to and poking the audience and the way the world has changed since neo left, simultaneosly very different and the same but worse, just like real life.

It wasn't a straightforward retread which I'm happy enough with

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

That one dude on twitter keeps stanning Black Sails, has anyone seen that show? Is it any good?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I still say 1999 was the best year for movies before or since

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Xaris posted:

nihlism has largely lost all meaning on the internets, as with grift and a bunch of other poo poo

doomer too, since all it really means these days is that someone doesn't have a 100% optimistic view of the future

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Peggotty posted:

That one dude on twitter keeps stanning Black Sails, has anyone seen that show? Is it any good?

it's alright, but stop watching if the first 2 or 3 episodes don't grab you

A Light Grift
Aug 1, 2011

Peggotty posted:

I don't use twitter but that's me, irl. I stan Black Sails it kicks rear end.

Show is half historical drama about real pirates like Charles Vane or Jack Rackham, and half Treasure Island prequel about fictional pirates like Captain Flint and John Silver.

Outstanding boats and boat-combat. Pirate duels. Pirate politics. Pirate bisexual personal drama, it's got it all.

Powerful theme song/opening credits that I let play out for every episode because it gets me pumped up.

Much like the Starz channel's other big historical drama, Spartacus, the show isn't shy at all about who the true villains are (the Romans in Spartacus, the English in Black Sails). You will cheer every time our heroes kill them or foil their plans.

At a tight 4 seasons it tells it's full story, doesn't drag on and on, and ends well, too. A+ I recommend it to anyone who likes period-piece action and melodrama.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Xaris posted:

come on now. i mean it was way better than expected for a reboot of a long pop-culture-dissolved-and-abused movies, and i would rank it above 2/3 yet still below 1 by a lot. but it's not the best movie of the year. Green Knight, PIG, Dune, Last Duel, DLU, or even Malignant were better movies overall. i would put it on par with something like King Kong vs Godzilla or Free Guy in terms of overall fun

best movie of the year.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched "Godzilla vs Kong" last night and god what a fun ride. Hollow earth is real? The Titan-truth podcast? Kaiju are real but the problem is still loving capitalism? Hell yeah.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1475320866758090757

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Coolranch4lyfe/status/1475461705597693952

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

when i learned that harry potter is just monty python fan-fic it all made more sense

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

lol

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

He died never knowing the honor of making a Marvel movie. What a shame.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

“runaway wife phenomenon” is a terrifying phrase cause it highlights just how loving divorced these people are from material reality

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

"suffering from runaway wife phenomenon" lmao

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

I threw on some Happy Endings the other day for background noise and my god so many jokes and episode premises have aged poorly.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

i know my lore

and if I could just know it better maybe I can divine why my wife left me for an insurance salesman.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

indigi posted:

“runaway wife phenomenon” is a terrifying phrase cause it highlights just how loving divorced these people are

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

maybe your wife left you because you're a 40 year old posting about the matrix on reddit

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I follow an italian athlete who made a post about Don't Look Up, called it a great movie that was able to skewer a controversial issue without taking sides

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Laterite posted:

I threw on some Happy Endings the other day for background noise and my god so many jokes and episode premises have aged poorly.

i forget what else happens in the episode, but there's one where Brad keeps setting Max up with gay dudes because he's like "he's gay, you're gay too. what's the problem?" and to retaliate Max sets Brad up on a date with a 75 year old black lady.

i refuse to watch the episode again because it'll make that plot beat less funny when I find out what else happened on the episode.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

i say swears online posted:

I follow an italian athlete who made a post about Don't Look Up, called it a great movie that was able to skewer a controversial issue without taking sides

lol

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

lol gently caress

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

500 good dogs posted:

lol gently caress

we're doomed

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

italians are the dumbest people on earth and this is a fact

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/magi_jay/status/1475536706636075013

think we can safely confirm that the backlash against this movie is entirely because it makes libs look bad now that someone was finally dumb enough to say it loud

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Some Guy TT posted:

think we can safely confirm that the backlash against this movie is entirely because it makes libs look bad now that someone was finally dumb enough to say it loud

it makes libs look helpless and like losers, which they are... but most critics outside twitter dont know about all this bullshit. movie is just meh

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

great essay on the rise/centering of trauma in fiction over the past decade or two

https://twitter.com/parul_sehgal/status/1475478014611931136

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Some Guy TT posted:

Hmmmm
https://twitter.com/charlesarthur/status/1474876653721563139
https://twitter.com/ne0liberal/status/1475190970295668746

Assepoester has issued a correction as of 23:31 on Dec 27, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i dont even like mckay personally the part of this discourse that fascinates me is that theres no serious analysis of his style or how dont look up differs from his previous work or even a suggestion that his previous work was overrated its literally just this time he makes the people i like look like buffoons how dare he

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

lol i'm blocked and i don't even know who they are

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

500 good dogs posted:

shadow in the cloud is bonkers hahaha wtf

i just watched it, it's great. tight 75 minutes of poo poo going horribly wrong in a b17 and then one fantastic moment of things going right

i also watched the nice guys (finally), as good as advertised

and assassination 33 ad where muslim extremists time travel to kill christ, it's fantastic when the apostles get gunned down by night vision goggled special forces dude and then they headshot jesus. sucks for a while after that with a bunch of time travel shenanigans but then the pivot at the end is extra amazing

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Doctor Jeep posted:

lol i'm blocked and i don't even know who they are

same

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

i just watched it, it's great. tight 75 minutes of poo poo going horribly wrong in a b17 and then one fantastic moment of things going right

yeah if y'all haven't seen Shadow in the Cloud, it's #2 on thread recommendations of movies i didn't know exist this year behind malignant

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Who's the parks and rec creeper

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
all i know about magi_jay is that she was very upset about the Salo tweet that virgil texas made during the primaries and someone replied "mangia magi jay"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

The ambivalence in this article is striking. It's like an op-ed from the early 90s by some boomer lamenting that Archie Bunker isn't funny anymore