Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Picross goons, I have only one puzzle left in S2 and I cannnot find the next move. No idea how I could complete the other 149 but this one is giving me trouble. What am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

b_d posted:

99 is the most money. you can't have more than 99 money.

Look at this noob that never got the Bigger Wallet

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Harriet Carker posted:

Picross goons, I have only one puzzle left in S2 and I cannnot find the next move. No idea how I could complete the other 149 but this one is giving me trouble. What am I missing?

On the 5 1 1 row there must be an X to the right of that blue square, it has to be either one of the ones or the last square of the five

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

The Bloop posted:

Look at this noob that never got the Bigger Wallet

haha. you're joking right... wait wtf. i thought all that poo poo i couldnt buy was just for flavor

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Silver Falcon posted:

I ran into quite a few Shinespark puzzles in Dread that look truly fiendish. I haven't looked up how to actually do them... but I can already tell they might just be beyond me. I got 100% item completion in Fusion and Zero Mission, but I don't think I have the time, brain power, or patience to do that in Dread. I love the game, but yeesh some of these Shinespark things just look nasty.

I also bought SMTV on sale with my Christmas money. That'll get here in like a week. Plenty of time to finish up Dread.

I think Dread's shinespark puzzles are some of the most doable in any Metroid, and most have a couple solutions/approaches you can take. Give them a shot!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

punk rebel ecks posted:

Should I replay Three Houses to go on Egelhart’s side?
She seems very divisive and people describing her as “female Robbisphere” is appealing.

Edelgard rules and is my favourite path, as it's fairly different from most other Fire Emblem games/routes. Of note, (small route mechanic spoilers) the Edelgard route actually splits into two: the main Black Eagles path and the Very Wrong Path for Dummies. The true Black Eagles path has some requirements to take note of, basically make sure you rank her support ASAP (the actual requirements are just rank C before a certain point but whatever max that poo poo), make sure to agree to go with her in a scripted event in February, and make sure to say yes at a certain decision (the choice is extremely obvious). Tried to keep it spoiler light.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

thehoodie posted:

I got a $99 (not 100 for some reason) gift card for Xmas. What should I buy! Pikmin? SMTV? Fire Emblem? Something else?

speaking as a person that hasn't played the series since the GBA days, fire emblem three houses is very good. i'd go for DQXI if you haven't got that yet, i loved it despite generally disliking JRPGs and animes.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

On the 5 1 1 row there must be an X to the right of that blue square, it has to be either one of the ones or the last square of the five

Thank you - obvious in retrospect! Picross S2 no assist (except from you) complete!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Edelgard is dope because she takes action and is way more proactive than your typical protagonist. She’s the villain on other routes, but the main character makes her chill out on her path. It’s shorter than the other routes but the most different. The front half of the game is still the same so you might want to wait before a replay.

People say that she isn’t a villain.

One person said “she is a monster like Robbisphere”.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
She is literally the only interesting one of the three.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I saved all the Shinespark puzzles in Dread for one final loop and had to use a guide for a couple of them because, like, it never would have occurred to me to Shinespark in ball mode for example, but in terms of actually doing them only one of them took me more than 10 tries max. Learning to stall out of Screw Attack for the mid-air spark was the hardest part, but I did every Shinespark in the game in about half an hour, really not bad

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bust Rodd posted:

I saved all the Shinespark puzzles in Dread for one final loop and had to use a guide for a couple of them because, like, it never would have occurred to me to Shinespark in ball mode for example, but in terms of actually doing them only one of them took me more than 10 tries max. Learning to stall out of Screw Attack for the mid-air spark was the hardest part, but I did every Shinespark in the game in about half an hour, really not bad

I wish to know more abut this wizardry. A bunch of them I gave up on after waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many attempts seemed to require somehow Shinesparking in mid-air and I could not for the life of me figure out how to jump without a) spinning or b) burning the boost too early.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Silver Falcon posted:

I wish to know more abut this wizardry. A bunch of them I gave up on after waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many attempts seemed to require somehow Shinesparking in mid-air and I could not for the life of me figure out how to jump without a) spinning or b) burning the boost too early.

You'll stop spinning if you shoot.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i ha'n't gotten there in dread yet but in the gba metroid games you can also tap up to stop spinning and then shinespark in your direction of choice.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I use the shoulder buttons, mid-air aiming stops spins too. Forget if this interacts with Shinesparking though.

I remembered all the tricks from Super/Fusion/Zero so only one Shinespark puzzle in Dread really gave me trouble, and that was more an execution of timing and making the right approach more than anything.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dread owns but i still think the background area graphics could be juicier

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

MatchaZed posted:

Deedlit got delayed in NA/EU to January 28, so unless people are buying from JP eShop, no answers are coming for a month.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcO6EQ45wpI here's some gameplay on Switch

what the hell? that looks unplayable. I've seen other videos of Switch gameplay and it didn't look anywhere close to that bad. possibly a problem with that particular Switch or the capture?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

My problem with the Dread Shinespark puzzles is the in-game explanation for how it worked was completely opaque, and since I hadn’t played any of the others, I had to look up a few YouTube videos to understand any of the mechanics other than basic go-forward and then up.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I hope whatever rear end in a top hat put a door in the middle of the leadup to that one shinespark puzzle in Burenia got fired.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Playing the pikman 3 demo and it's fun + cute

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
There will never be a puzzle as infuriating as the morphball shinespark in zero mission.

Watch from 0:09 to 0:29 to see the impossible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1_X2wx-KOc

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

There will never be a puzzle as infuriating as the morphball shinespark in zero mission.

What the gently caress.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it's not that hard to execute, just a lot to string together at first. the hardest part is getting the charge at the beginning before you run into the door.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just beat no more heroes 1. That was a ton of fun. Just got part 2 on the eshop. Should I consider getting Travis Strikes Back as well later?

Also my copy of bayonetta 2 I got for Christmas is the European version so I can’t use the download code for bayonetta one. Putting it here for any eu goons who want it, just let me know who claimed it!

Bayonetta 1 eu code: E003BPPX6SY7MVL4

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
In case you don't get it, it start in room 4.

You run right from 4 to 5, and you have a millisecond to stop and drop down to charge up. Turn around, jump, go left with your speed charge, hit down exactly when you hit the 45° ramp, and now on a timer you shoot the door open, go right, go into a ball, jump, go left.

Enter room 4, crash through wall, enter room 3, at exactly the moment you crash through the bricks but before leaving room 3 (about 1/8 of a second) you press down to charge up, timer resumes, continue progress left, enter room 2, stand up, jump without discharging, return to ball, jump, go left, enter room 1.

So imagine the precision of the hardest rhythm game but between notes there's loading screens so there's no rhythm to follow.

gently caress that loving puzzle.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So as someone who has played Terraria on and off for years, and almost always find joy in starting up a new large world and playing around, even Solo, I must ask:

Is Terraria fun to play on the Switch, as someone who is coming from the PC version?

Keep in mind a couple of things when responding:

• I imagine the portability would be a big plus, but loss of mouse precision is a big minus. True/False?
  • I'm mainly considering it because the Journey's End content is coming on 1/4/2022 and I barely played that mode on PC but it seems pretty fun so far. Considering how care-free it is compared to the original mode, I see myself screwing around with it on that
  • I really have no care for mods. Please don't factor this in! I know it's a big deal for most PC games but for Terraria I only did it once or twice and it was never a big part of my experience.

So, because of the upcoming content, and soon-ending sale, I might snag it. But is it worth it for portability?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

thehoodie posted:

I got a $99 (not 100 for some reason) gift card for Xmas. What should I buy! Pikmin? SMTV? Fire Emblem? Something else?

Google Butt posted:

Playing the pikman 3 demo and it's fun + cute

Yes, yessssss :getin: and become one of (the swarming many of) us!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I would be more into shinespark puzzles if the game actually came with a detailed tutorial on all the intricacies of shinesparks because I would never even guess that you could somehow roll into a ball to do it, much less how to activate it from there. Whenever I've done even horizontal shinesparks in super metroid I don't really get exactly what the rule is for that I just jump then wiggle on the dpad and hope the right thing happens.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Morter posted:

So as someone who has played Terraria on and off for years, and almost always find joy in starting up a new large world and playing around, even Solo, I must ask:

Is Terraria fun to play on the Switch, as someone who is coming from the PC version?

• I imagine the portability would be a big plus, but loss of mouse precision is a big minus. True/False?
  • I'm mainly considering it because the Journey's End content is coming on 1/4/2022 and I barely played that mode on PC but it seems pretty fun so far. Considering how care-free it is compared to the original mode, I see myself screwing around with it on that
  • I really have no care for mods. Please don't factor this in! I know it's a big deal for most PC games but for Terraria I only did it once or twice and it was never a big part of my experience.

So, because of the upcoming content, and soon-ending sale, I might snag it. But is it worth it for portability?

I too would love to see this answered.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lmao I don't have patience for that kind of poo poo anymore.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

This poo poo right here is why, as someone that enjoys the 100% chase of Metroid more than the speedgaming part, Zero Mission ranks middle of my 2D list when I otherwise enjoy it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

b_d posted:

i ha'n't gotten there in dread yet but in the gba metroid games you can also tap up to stop spinning and then shinespark in your direction of choice.

Dread thoughts so far?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Just beat no more heroes 1. That was a ton of fun. Just got part 2 on the eshop. Should I consider getting Travis Strikes Back as well later?

Also my copy of bayonetta 2 I got for Christmas is the European version so I can’t use the download code for bayonetta one. Putting it here for any eu goons who want it, just let me know who claimed it!

Bayonetta 1 eu code: E003BPPX6SY7MVL4

Travis Strikes Back sucks. Just watch the story on youtube since it’s referenced in the third game.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Morter posted:

It is fine, but not amazing. The controls are definitely the worst part. You can click in L3 to swap between the smart cursor that auto-targets blocks in the direction you push the right stick and the manual cursor which you can move to a fixed position and it stays there. It takes some getting used to, but once you learn to juggle the modes effectively it’s very playable.

I would still rather play it with a mouse and keyboard if given the option, but it’s as competent as you could hope when translated to controller.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I finished up Picross S2 and was ready for S3, but was hesitant about the color since I'm crazy colorblind. But I saw S4 had a high-contrast mode.

And it's great!

Here's a regular puzzle, the same puzzle in high contrast, and the completed puzzle back in regular mode.

https://twitter.com/MattSolo734/status/1475658332685815811?t=zG7xwRQcB96r_AD9GobS6Q&s=19

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Barreft posted:

Dread thoughts so far?

it's cool and from everything i hear it gets even better but i'm spending all my time playing fighting games and final fantasy.

edit: i really like the map features, and the move speed is perfect, feels great to run around.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just started Picross S3 and there are two small weird things that bug me. First, it now asks "Would you like to play this puzzle" or whatever every time you select a puzzle. I don't know why they added that extra confirmation screen but it's annoying. Second, I liked the blue color for marked squares better than the new black color. I wish they allowed you to change it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Huxley posted:

I finished up Picross S2 and was ready for S3, but was hesitant about the color since I'm crazy colorblind. But I saw S4 had a high-contrast mode.

And it's great!

Here's a regular puzzle, the same puzzle in high contrast, and the completed puzzle back in regular mode.

https://twitter.com/MattSolo734/status/1475658332685815811?t=zG7xwRQcB96r_AD9GobS6Q&s=19

I'm not colorblind and I prefer high contrast mode. Makes things easier to parse at a glance, and makes the resulting picture more of a surprise when it's revealed.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Chieves posted:

That speed boost trap and the Power Bomb Pipe (spoiler for another "ugh" moment others have later on if you care) are two of the largest flaws in what is otherwise an immaculate game.

Played the dread demo and got hooked, so I'm playing super for the first time. Please spoil both of these for me, what do they mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Played the dread demo and got hooked, so I'm playing super for the first time. Please spoil both of these for me, what do they mean?

There's the "noob bridge" is a short section of the game that forces you to learn "oh, a dash button exists", which is what most people seem to be talking about. "Speed booster trap" might be referring to one of a few segments of the game that look like you might be able to make it, but actually require the speed booster.

The second one, vaguely, requires you to use a power up you get later to do environmental damage that is foreshadowed, but perhaps a bit too subtly. IIRC, the game does explicitly show you it if you let it sit at the title screen long enough for demo footage to start playing. For a more explicit explanation: you have to use power bombs to destroy a glass tube that lets you into the water area of the game.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 28, 2021