Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

kemikalkadet posted:

Plunging just stops the extraction so you could plunge and let it sit there without over-extracting. If you're pouring it straight away it doesn't make any difference. Saying that, I've tried pouring without plunging and it's always resulted in way more sludge in my cup, might just be a crappy cafetiere though... I don't use it often.

Thanks! I received one for christmas and following the instructions on the box, the coffee was pretty good. I'll try Hoffmann's method tomorrow to compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

kemikalkadet posted:

Plunging just stops the extraction so you could plunge and let it sit there without over-extracting. If you're pouring it straight away it doesn't make any difference. Saying that, I've tried pouring without plunging and it's always resulted in way more sludge in my cup, might just be a crappy cafetiere though... I don't use it often.

Hoffmann's technique is steep 4 minutes, stir, skim floaty bits, and let settle for 5 minutes before pouring. That makes all the sludgy bits settle to the bottom for me, I only really get them when I push to get the last few drops. Did you do a similar process when you did yours?

His thesis is that crap can freely flow through the press filter but if you disturb, skim and let settle that gravity does the filtering for you.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Speaking of Hoffman, after watching his video about baskets I looked at the one that came with my gaggia classic and a quarter of the holes are messed up.

Definitely do get a vst/ims/etc basket if you haven't. The quality of improvement you get is well worth the price.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

BrianBoitano posted:

Hoffmann's technique is steep 4 minutes, stir, skim floaty bits, and let settle for 5 minutes before pouring. That makes all the sludgy bits settle to the bottom for me, I only really get them when I push to get the last few drops. Did you do a similar process when you did yours?

His thesis is that crap can freely flow through the press filter but if you disturb, skim and let settle that gravity does the filtering for you.

I probably missed the skim step, thinking about it.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I can’t be arsed to wait as long as 8 minutes, but even just skimming off the foam is enough to improve the cup

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

nwin posted:

What’s everyone’s tips with the bellman steamer? I got one a few weeks ago and I’ve only gotten decent results once. My main complaint is it takes too long to heat up.

I’m getting better results microwaving some milk and using a nanofoamer.

I want to like the bellman, but so far I’m not impressed.

You don't need a massive amount of water, like 3-4 cm of water, and it can be preheated in the kettle

Let it heat till the safety valve starts to make a noise and put it on low and then you are golden

Keep it just below the surface of the milk and let it swirl and roil in the jug, continuing to rise as the milk increases in volume

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

My wife solved my grinder problem with a 1Zpresso JX hand grinder for Christmas . It seems really great. Took a little time to get dialled in but it's got pretty fine adjustment and the bottom isn't too heavy for my scales which is a bonus.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

just made coffee with hoffmann's aeropress technique, and boy is it up there with just turning on a drip brewer for how unbelievably easy it was to make a good cup :staredog:

e: and this was pre-ground supermarket stuff, too. can't wait to see what a future grinder and proper beans would add

ulvir fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 26, 2021

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ulvir posted:

just made coffee with hoffmann's aeropress technique, and boy is it up there with just turning on a drip brewer for how unbelievably easy it was to make a good cup :staredog:

e: and this was pre-ground supermarket stuff, too. can't wait to see what a future grinder and proper beans would add

Is that the one where it's not the inverted method, 11g of water to 200g coffee, put the plunger in wait 2 minutes, swish around, wait 30 seconds, plunge?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

nwin posted:

11g of water to 200g coffee

:coffeepal:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

nwin posted:

Is that the one where it's not the inverted method, 11g of water to 200g coffee, put the plunger in wait 2 minutes, swish around, wait 30 seconds, plunge?

yes

I did weigh the grounds, but since I so far only have a tiny 100g max weight for tea, I just eyeballed the water. otherwise the same

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hahaha welp

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

James Hoffman French press and aeropress methods are tops.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I’ve pushed James’s French press recipe to 10 minutes before the stir and 10 more minutes before spooning off the floaty stuff and pouring gently through the screen. Works great for the high altitude light roasts I enjoy.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I was gifted a Moccamaster for Christmas, replacing a decent Bunn brewer (which I can still use at work). The coffee is definitely smoother and higher quality, if not quite French press quality.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you like french press see if you can find a metal filter for the Moccamaster. Should taste very similar.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

LLCoolJD posted:

I was gifted a Moccamaster for Christmas, replacing a decent Bunn brewer (which I can still use at work). The coffee is definitely smoother and higher quality, if not quite French press quality.

Same here, actually. I'd been without a good autodrip for a long, LONG time, so I'm looking forward to this.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Just got a Nanofoamer to replace the lovely Instant b brand "auto heat and foam" pitcher that died, and it's night and day. Got that latex paint texture and was able to do the whole "build a canvas" with a clear shape on top. Not nearly an identifiable shape but now the tool works well enough for me to hit the ground and learn!

Texture tastes good which is the most important thing, since I don't use Instagram anyhow.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I was given a Hario Skerton (of some variety) and a plastic v60 for Christmas.* I've made four cups with v60 so far and it is very nice, first one wasn't great, second one was better, third one I'd consider decent, fourth one was really nice. I'll echo the Skerton comments about it being uncomfortable to grind with, but I don't particularly mind how long it takes as I know no better. The v60 is a stunning little thing, though, especially at the price/simplicity.

I used some M&S dark roast Italian style beans to figure it out at first, my fourth cup was with some of the dark roast robusto beans we have for our super-auto machine. That fourth cup came out really nice, no unwanted notes to it, and it confirmed that the beans we're buying for the machine are both cheaper and far better quality than anything in the supermarket, plus the strength and taste profile is perfect for an all-automated system.

Now I'm waiting for things to open up after Christmas. The shop the grinder and v60 came from does some single origin stuff, and you can get samples, 4x100g for about €14. I doubt he roasts them himself, but his range of teas are decent (from tisanes, to blends, to quite good single leaf tea) and he seems really good at balancing his range between good quality stuff but also commercially viable for a city that doesn't go wild for specialty stuff.

Now I'm just thinking about scales. I've been using a standard kitchen scales (put a small cup on it, zero it, put in beans and for brewing I put my cup on it, then I get everything ready with the v60, zero it before I pour the water in and use it to measure my pour) but I'm not sure if it's accurate enough below about 50g. The alternatives are an amazon scales that claims a really high accuracy for about €20 but I'm not sure about the longevity in quality, or the Hario scales (or similar) for anything between €50 and €85, but I'm not sure on those.

*I say I was given. I was in the very nice little shop I like getting my sister a moka pot, and I asked the very nice man if he could set aside a grinder, v60 and some filters with my brother's name on the bag, and then I would phone my brother and tell him to pick it up within a day, who then wouldn't have to worry about "thinking" about Christmas presents.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That's nearly identical to where I started based on recommendations in this thread, years ago...and I haven't moved on. Still makes a great cup with any beans mediocre to good, and honestly the half a minute it takes me to grind one cup of coffee is perfectly fine for me. About how long it takes the water to boil in the electric heater.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
The Hario scale I had was really good until the day my Clever cone seal popped loose and I poured an entire cup of coffee all over it. I replaced it with a cheap 0.1g scale and while it's a little less reliable it works perfectly fine. It's nice to have a built-in timer but it really isn't necessary.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

TheDarkFlame posted:

The Hario scale I had was really good until the day my Clever cone seal popped loose and I poured an entire cup of coffee all over it. I replaced it with a cheap 0.1g scale and while it's a little less reliable it works perfectly fine. It's nice to have a built-in timer but it really isn't necessary.

Yikes! Is the seal prone to coming loose like that?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Not really, I found a couple times when putting it back together that the o-ring twists a bit or kinda comes loose as I reconnect the base. But I've been using it for ages now, and I am the clumbsiest human alive, and it's only happened once or twice. I know to check for it now and make sure it's properly water-tight each time I put the thing together.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Mu Zeta posted:

If you like french press see if you can find a metal filter for the Moccamaster. Should taste very similar.

Thanks for the tip.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Mrenda posted:

Now I'm just thinking about scales. I've been using a standard kitchen scales (put a small cup on it, zero it, put in beans and for brewing I put my cup on it, then I get everything ready with the v60, zero it before I pour the water in and use it to measure my pour) but I'm not sure if it's accurate enough below about 50g. The alternatives are an amazon scales that claims a really high accuracy for about €20 but I'm not sure about the longevity in quality, or the Hario scales (or similar) for anything between €50 and €85, but I'm not sure on those.

I don't know if you can get them in your neck of the woods, but I use a Jennings cj4000 scale for all my kitchen stuff, including pourovers. It's only accurate to .5g, but it's been extremely reliable in spite of me beating the poo poo out of it. I think it was only around $40 here in the States.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

even though I was more pulled towards Fellow ode, I ended up landing on the Wilfa uniform. looking around on various coffee sites and forums there seemed to be a worryingly amount of common problems with the Ode that went beyond just “didn’t grind fine enough”, so I was very hesitant to justify spending ≈100€ more just for aesthetics :sigh:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is there a thread consensus on what non-espresso grinder to get these days? It looks like the OP hasn't been updated in a while.

I've started actually using my Aeropress at home and realized I really need to get a proper non-blade grinder.

I've been thinking of trying v60 or clever dripper as well, but I have no interest in trying to do espresso at home so I don't need a grinder that goes espresso-fine.

Most of what I see online seems to suggest that the Baratza Encore is a quite good entry level grinder for non-espresso immersion / percolation brew methods, and that it's basically not worth bothering with the sub-$150 burr grinders because they're so inconsistent you might as well be using a blade grinder, is that about right?

Is there another grinder in the $150-$250 range that comes highly recommended?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Now that the family has left, we switched from the solid holiday blend that got us through Christmas to a single origin Ethiopian roast. It’s like someone tattooed my taste buds with mixed berry flavors.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

ulvir posted:

even though I was more pulled towards Fellow ode, I ended up landing on the Wilfa uniform. looking around on various coffee sites and forums there seemed to be a worryingly amount of common problems with the Ode that went beyond just “didn’t grind fine enough”, so I was very hesitant to justify spending ≈100€ more just for aesthetics :sigh:

I own an Ode that I upgraded with SSP burrs, It's a nice grinder (with the new burrs) but I wouldn't bother otherwise. I'd probably get the Uniform if I didn't want to spend the extra £200 on new burrs.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Entropic posted:

Is there a thread consensus on what non-espresso grinder to get these days? It looks like the OP hasn't been updated in a while.

I've started actually using my Aeropress at home and realized I really need to get a proper non-blade grinder.

I've been thinking of trying v60 or clever dripper as well, but I have no interest in trying to do espresso at home so I don't need a grinder that goes espresso-fine.

Most of what I see online seems to suggest that the Baratza Encore is a quite good entry level grinder for non-espresso immersion / percolation brew methods, and that it's basically not worth bothering with the sub-$150 burr grinders because they're so inconsistent you might as well be using a blade grinder, is that about right?

I have an encore I use for espresso.

Could I do better? Sure, but the grinder is absolutely fantastic for the money IMO. You can also get a $30 burr kit and upgrade the burrs (this is endorsed by baratza themselves).

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Entropic posted:

The Encore is great. I don't know that I'd recommend anything else in that price bracket. Perhaps the Baratza Virtuoso+ if it's cheap enough? It would be a meaningful improvement over the Encore.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Could I do better? Sure, but the grinder is absolutely fantastic for the money IMO. You can also get a $30 burr kit and upgrade the burrs (this is endorsed by baratza themselves).

I've heard that the serviceability and support from Baratza is great.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Breville owns Baratza now and I thought they would gently caress everything up but they seem to be leaving them alone.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I told my family I was making fancy coffee and asked for beans knowing full well what I’d get lol. And oh my god after drinking some well roasted coffee the last few weeks I finally get why everyone says Starbucks beans are burnt. Holy poo poo

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

TheDarkFlame posted:

I have a cheap brandless 0.01g scale that's been going strong for over 2 years now. I've dropped it in the sink at least 3 times and it's always come back to life once it dried out.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

I told my family I was making fancy coffee and asked for beans knowing full well what I’d get lol. And oh my god after drinking some well roasted coffee the last few weeks I finally get why everyone says Starbucks beans are burnt. Holy poo poo

It’s real nice enjoying good tasting coffee, but it 100% ruins Starbucks and lovely grocery store beans.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Got a link to the burr kit?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

silvergoose posted:

That's nearly identical to where I started based on recommendations in this thread, years ago...and I haven't moved on. Still makes a great cup with any beans mediocre to good, and honestly the half a minute it takes me to grind one cup of coffee is perfectly fine for me. About how long it takes the water to boil in the electric heater.

I know people recommend Justin Hoffman, and I watched a few of his videos. He has one on the history of espresso that said it started out as "Filter - But Fast." But now we've got instant so I don't think we need "Filter - But Fast."

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Wang Commander posted:

Got a link to the burr kit?

https://baratza.com/encore-upgrade-gb2-0/

I haven’t done it yet but this thread has recommended it and I see people all over saying it’s worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mrenda posted:

I know people recommend Justin Hoffman, and I watched a few of his videos. He has one on the history of espresso that said it started out as "Filter - But Fast." But now we've got instant so I don't think we need "Filter - But Fast."

I don’t…huh? :psyduck: